Peanut Sauce Baked Tofu

I love peanut butter.  And sunflower seed butter ranks right up there, too.

I have a post dedicated to peanut butter recipes because I use it in so many recipes.

Peanut butter makes the world go round for me.

And I love peanut sauce.  I could drink it.   I like a little bit of food with my sauce.

But since I cannot just drink peanut sauce on its own even though I’m tempted, I decided to make Peanut Sauce Baked Tofu.

This way I get to chew.  And not just drink peanut sauce.

[print_this]

Peanut Sauce Baked Tofu (vegan, gluten free)

1 package tofu, pressed (select firm or extra firm)

1/3 c orange juice

3 tbsp peanut butter

3 tbsp sesame oil

3 tbsp agave (or honey/maple syrup or combo)

1 tsp ground ginger

Pinch of cayenne (more to taste, if desired)

Pinch of chili powder (more to taste, if desired)

Optional: 1 Tbsp EVOO or use more sesame oil

Directions:

Pressing your tofu (use a tofu press or press between heavy plates/objects and get the paper towels handy), and slice pressed tofu into 1/4 inch strips.

Whisk all marinade ingredients together in a bowl (it will not be pretty) and allow tofu to marinate for at least 20 minutes but a few hours or overnight is ideal.  The longer the better.  Reserve a couple tablespoons of the marinade that’s likely at the bottom of the bowl.

Line a cookie sheet with foil to save on cleanup time and spray with cooking spray.

Broil the marinated tofu for 5-6 minutes on the first side.

Flip, and broil for another 3 to 5 minutes on the second side.  Apply what’s remaining of the reserved marinade to the top side of the flipped tofu.

I urge you, do not leave your kitchen while you are broiling. Peanut butter + agave can and will go from not done to charred and disgusting in 90 seconds flat.  You need to be right there so all your work does not go up in flames and char.  Do Not Leave the Kitchen, not even for a second.

Refrigerate leftovers for many days.

Yield: I got 19 strips out of my 1 block of pressed tofu

[/print_this]

Pictorial Guide

Press your tofu

Combine all marinade ingredients together and allow tofu to marinade

Place on foil-lined and cooking sprayed cookie sheet

Broil, remove and Flip, and apply reserved marinade to newly flipped side.  The top row has been flipped and  the bottom row hasn’t.

Enjoy

The tofu is slightly crispy on the outside and tender in the middle

The flavor of the peanut sauce is heavenly.

How could agave, peanut butter, ginger, and a slight kick of heat from the cayenne and chili powder not be good?

This tofu is my favorite recipe, ever. And I have plenty of other tofu recipes.

Refrigerate any leftovers.  I actually made a double batch because it was crazy good and I wanted planned leftovers.  The first batch was gobbled in minutes.

From my last post about the Tripod I bought and the Photography Page I added, I think that page should help keep my photography posts better organized and searchable.

And also thanks for the warm and fuzzy compliments on my photography in the last post.  Yes, the new tripod is so helpful for getting those kind of images.

Ironically, the tofu images were shot before my food styling and photography workshop and before the tripod.  I can’t wait to shoot more food with my new knowledge + new tripod.

Dessert:  Need something peanut buttery to wash down the peanut sauce baked tofu with?

No Bake Nutter Butter Special K Bars

Combining a pound of peanut butter cookies with peanut butter and sugar and chocolate on top?  Oh yes, life is good.

1. Do you like Tofu?  Favorite recipe or way to eat it?

I spent my life up until the past five years or so liking tofu I ate when out but could not for the life of me figure out how to recreate it successfully at home.

Generally, I like to bake or broil tofu because I think it’s easier.

However, I have made pan seared tofu, i.e. fried in sesame or peanut oil, on the stovetop with sauce added after the searing/frying is complete, and it’s divine. But anything fried in sesame or peanut oil is going to be wonderful! <— The same could be said for anything baked in peanut sauce I’m thinking.

2. Do you like peanut sauce?  Do you make your own?

If you don’t like peanut sauce, we are not on the same wavelength.

If you don’t make your own, try this recipe or the marinade recipe for today’s tofu.   Making your own peanut sauce is easy, you control the ingredients, and way better tasting (and cheaper) than storebought.

3. Best thing you ate or did over the weekend?

Skylar and I soaked up the 82F sunny weather on Saturday and Sunday we’re keeping busy, too.

I also got in a couple great runs and at-home 20 minute yoga and lifting sessions.  The weather was just perfect for a couple nice runs.

P.S. If you’re just catching up on weekend posts, here are mine since Friday:

Have a great day!

124 Responses to “Peanut Sauce Baked Tofu”

Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope — April 17, 2011 at 4:09 am

Such a great tofu recipe Averie! I usually just eat my tofu raw, which I know a lot of people don’t care for, but I really like it that way. I can see peanut butter going so well with take of tofu though – love it! How long do the leftovers stay good? And did you eat it right from the oven, or refrigerate it first? For whatever reason, WARM tofu isn’t my thing haha!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — April 17th, 2011 at 4:16 am

At least 3 days on the leftovers in the fridge, but really, you will gobble this up.

Warm tofu, or cold, I like it either way. Whatever works for you.

megan @ the oatmeal diaries — April 17, 2011 at 4:18 am

This looks awesome and I really love those white and silver plates! My favorite tofu is the “cheater” version: Trader Joe’s baked teriyaki. So good and sooo easy :)

Mariah @Apples "N" Oats — April 17, 2011 at 4:34 am

that tofu looks aboslutely incredible!!my favorite part of the weekend was being able to finally go surfing and play beach volleyball in this gorgeous weather!

Holly @ The Runny Egg — April 17, 2011 at 4:43 am

I love peanut sauce — I’ve used your quick peanut sauce before and it tastes amazing! I put it over pasta or veggies. So easy to make and tastes so good.

I’m not a huge tofu eater, tried it a few times, tasted good but I wasn’t totally blown away. I’m sure I just need to try different marinades and cooking techniques since I always like it when I have it at a restaurant or in a soup.

Best thing over weekend — going out for dinner/drinks on Friday night!

Claire @ Un Bello Aperitivo — April 17, 2011 at 4:44 am

Beautiful pictures!

1. I’m on the fence about tofu…I don’t want to eat a lot of soy, so I usually don’t buy it.
    2. I LOVE peanut sauce. Peanut sauce + stir frys = deliciousness.
    3. I watched 500 Days of Summer. Love that movie.

Have a wonderful Sunday!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — April 17, 2011 at 4:50 am

Your pictures are looking awesome!!! All of your hard work is really paying off!

Katie — April 17, 2011 at 4:53 am

Hi love!!

I really NEED a tofu press, I feel if I had one, I would eat tofu more! I love tofu so much!

I do make a peanut sauce with peanut flour, your peanut sauce sounds amazing too!

I am in LOVE with all your photos, I think its great you have such a passion for photography! Your pics are looking amazing!!!!!!!! love u!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — April 17th, 2011 at 5:00 am

It’s cheap and contains all the pressed liquid in the box, so that’s nice but you can just press tofu in between two heavy frying pans but you will go thru lots of paper towels as the water gets pressed out which is why the box is just so easy.

Thx for the photography compliments honey!

• ben replied: — April 19th, 2012 at 4:34 pm

Katie,

You can find a good tofu press called EZ Tofu Press on Ebay and Amazon, its affordable and works great for pressing tofu fast…5-10 minutes!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — April 17, 2011 at 5:19 am

I’ve never made my own peanut sauce, but you’ve inspired me to do so! I have a jar of The Heat Is On from Peanut Butter & Co that’s just dying to be used!

Jeanette — April 17, 2011 at 5:32 am

I love peanut sauce and the tofu looks so nice and crispy on the outside…yummy!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin — April 17, 2011 at 5:41 am

This looks awesome! I love tofu, especially with a sauce of sunflower seed butter, lime juice, and soy sauce.

I want to try this but I’m alllergic to PB… do you think sunflower seed butter, almond butter or soy nut butter would be a good replacement?

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — April 17th, 2011 at 12:58 pm

Yes use other nut butters, they will be just fine! I’d try SFSButter first over the other options.

Erica — April 17, 2011 at 5:41 am

I love PB sauce too….I am fairly certain I could drink it as well :) I like using it in cold veggie or veggie and noodle dishes. I also just got a bundle of sun butter, so I will be trying some recipes with that as well. Weekend has been a little packed for my liking. I’m ready to just sit and do nothing!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — April 17th, 2011 at 12:58 pm

glad you got some SFSButter…you could use that in this recipe too but it’s sooo good on it’s own!

Charlie — April 17, 2011 at 5:52 am

I looove peanut butter sauce too! yum! This dish looks so good :). Never thought of broiling tofu!

melissa @ the delicate place — April 17, 2011 at 6:07 am

pb sauce is pretty slammin. i had some thai takeout last night summer rolls with pnut sauce, so flavorful! hit the savory spot!! i could take or leave tofu honestly, sometimes i like to have it on a salad but mostly i’ll stick to salmon or a nicely cooked egg over greens.

Emily n — April 17, 2011 at 6:17 am

Love the tofu and marinaded peanut sauce recipe. I have made a similar dish several times, but have also experienced the dreaded burning tofu phenomenon you mentioned. I am going to try to acquire a tofu press at some point to ease the recipe.
    I hope to incorporate more of your recipes into my routine this week as its Passover so I have to change up some of my typical dishes (baguettes, pita with my hummus). You would make a shoe-in for this holiday since you tend to go for the sauces and avoid the carbs!
    Thanks for all the wonderful recipes.

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — April 17th, 2011 at 1:00 pm

Happy Passover…My husband is Jewish (not really practicing) but yes, I understand where you’re coming from with the recipes this week.

• ben replied: — April 19th, 2012 at 4:40 pm

Emily,

Having a tofu press makes cooking tofu a lot easier…I use the EZ Tofu Press, available on amazon or ebay. Its affordable and get most water out in 5-10 minutes. Works great for frying tofu when removing the water is critical. …I had soy for passover, i believe its kosher when you’re a vegetarian!

Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food — April 17, 2011 at 6:42 am

You’re photography is really looking amazing Averie! Kudos to you for really taking the time to learn the ins and outs – it shows! Beautiful post :)

Heidi @ Food Doodles — April 17, 2011 at 6:43 am

Yum, I love peanut butter too :) I quite frequently dip a spoon into the jar, haha. I actually love your peanut sauce for spring rolls, I’ve been meaning to make a batch. I actually don’t eat much tofu but I bought some yesterday because it was on sale. Yay!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — April 17th, 2011 at 1:00 pm

saw a post of yours on foodologie…just submitted there for the 1st time last night and saw you on there :)

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit — April 17, 2011 at 7:11 am

I love baked tofu. I haven’t had it since Christmas. I’m trying to find sprouted tofu, but haven’t had any luck. Once I find it, I’m making this. Because I’m allergic to peanuts :( I’ll make it with sunflower butter!!

Kate @thepseudovegan — April 17, 2011 at 7:30 am

i loveee tofu in any way possible! i even like it plain/steamed with veggies, no sauce. I’ve never tried peanut sauce, but i love peanut butter and all thing peanut, so I will have to try this, today!! thanks averie!

MegSmith @ Cooking.In.College — April 17, 2011 at 7:57 am

This looks amazing! I LOVE peanut sauce…anything with PB. I am a fiend just like you :-)

I think I may have to make this tonight, sounds delicious.

Christine (The Raw Project) — April 17, 2011 at 8:22 am

Yum, the tofu recipe looks perfect, thanks! Awesome job! And thanks for the links to more great recipes.

1. Yes, but I haven’t been eating that much of it lately. Stir fries currently, but I’d like to experiment with more blended cream sauces.
    2. Yes, I just make a mock hemp seed peanut sauce the other night that was really good.
    3. Went to the asparagus festival and got lots of sun.

Laura@keepinghealthygettingstylish — April 17, 2011 at 8:44 am

OMG I have to make this now, I love peanut butter and usually just pour it right on top of tofu but I can imagine it being baked and crispy just been amazing, thanks!

carin — April 17, 2011 at 8:44 am

oh wow, that looks incredible! i need to try broiling tofu because the texture is the biggest thing with tofu that bothers me–i usually only like it if it’s baked or fried within an inch of its life…i like things crunchy! maybe broiling is the key. i might try this with peanut flour rather than peanut butter because i’m out of PB

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — April 17th, 2011 at 1:02 pm

broiling and also PRESSING the water out. if you dont get the water out first, it will be gross and mushy. Use two heavy frying pans and paper towels or whatever to get the job done and press it for an hour or so first.

Jess@HealthyExposures — April 17, 2011 at 9:02 am

This. looks. so. amazing. I need a PB&J with it!! You better believe this is going to be made as soon as I pick up more ‘fu ;)
    Best thing I ate all weekend…was actually ridiculously simple. A tomato sandwich with hummus on garlic bread and kale chips. I’d been out of fresh produce for a while so it seriously hit the spot!! (and it reminds me of summer…)

McKella — April 17, 2011 at 9:57 am

I love tofu, and a will definitely make this
    Sometime in the next few days. I might like it even better than your maple Ginger tofu. I love peanut sauce, I can hardly wait!
    Best thing I’ve done all weekend? Saturday night with my hubby, eating shrimp tacos at Bajio, flip-flop shopping and seeing a play at the college. Perfect weather, good songs on the radio, it was perfect!

Erika @ Health and Happiness in LA — April 17, 2011 at 10:57 am

Oh yes I like tofu and I love peanut sauce! I hated tofu for the longest time – I just thought it was slimy and disgusting. How wrong I was! But I have always loved peanut sauce — Asian-style peanut noodles always call my name.

I went for a couple runs this weekend, too! But I waited until around sunset because it was sooo hot here — over 90 degrees, not a cloud in the sky. It was a very sweaty weekend!

Danielle — April 17, 2011 at 11:09 am

I never seen a Tofu pressing machine!!! I just use paper towels and put something heavy on top. Where did you purchase it? It’s Genius!

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) — April 17, 2011 at 11:13 am

I like tofu but haven’t had very much of it! I’m intimidated by making it at home, lol. I made it once and it was ok, but a bit too soft. I need one of those presses!

I’m dying to try your peanut sauce on spring rolls. I have 2 packages of rice wrappers, just waiting for the right time. Of course, you might say, it’s always a good time! :lol:

Cathy — April 17, 2011 at 11:40 am

i LOVE tofu and i LOVE peanut butter. you are genius for this recipe.
    so far, i’ve only pan-seared my tofu because i truly love it this way. never made my own peanut sauce…i love plain peanut butter too much!
    it’s SNOWING here which is just too awful for Palm Sunday – can’t believe it.
    please spend time outside as much as you can and enjoy that cali weather!!!

Noya - gluttonandstudent — April 17, 2011 at 11:41 am

Even though I love tofu so much that I could eat it out of the container, I love finding really great tofu recipes. Your recipe looks so good! Peanut tofu? Who would’ve thought?

Natalie @ cinnamon bums — April 17, 2011 at 12:01 pm

i love this recipe and will def be trying it out! actually one of my favorite ways of eating tofu is my moms peanut butter tofu – except it has both peanut butter + tahini and it is baked first then the sauce (which also has sauteed onions in it) is poured over the tofu! yumm

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — April 17, 2011 at 12:10 pm

I like tofu and I usually eat it in a stir fry. I also LOVE peanut sauce, but have never made my own, that I can remember. I usually have it with fresh rolls when I go for Thai food.

The best thing I ate all weekend was the sushi that I had today!!

Jocelyn @ Peace Love Nutrition — April 17, 2011 at 12:24 pm

I LOVE peanut sauce! I could eat it on everything- looks delicious!

Toyin — April 17, 2011 at 12:36 pm

I heart this recipe and just finished making it- and having mine with steamed kales; and using some of the peanut sauce as the dressing and left-over tahini sauce that I made.
    Yummy-licious!

Lauren (Diary of a Vegan Girl) — April 17, 2011 at 12:55 pm

This sounds like such a yummy recipe! I love tofu and I love peanut sauce. I have to make this!

Katie — April 17, 2011 at 1:43 pm

I eat peanut sauce like its going out of style when I go out to eat. Its kind of embarassing actually. Or it should be, but isn’t.

Unlike you, I spent the last five years convincing myself I like tofu and finally I just admitted that it is not good. I don’t miss it at all.

Amber K — April 17, 2011 at 2:20 pm

I have tried tofu once and it was awful, I still can’t quite figure out what I did wrong. And while I’m absolutely obsessed with peanut butter, I have actually never had a peanut sauce before! I know, craziness.

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — April 17th, 2011 at 6:01 pm

posting in a few days with a post that will help you with tofu prep and cooking. I have gotten lots of comments like yours so a post with tofu 101 tips is in order :)

and try peanut sauce!

Lauren (Diary of a Vegan Girl) — April 17, 2011 at 2:27 pm

Averie, Thank you so much for visiting my blog and for your comment!

I have been following your blog now for a while and it has helped to to make so many positive changes regarding my health. For example, I didn’t used to work out before reading your blog but your blog inspired me to and now I work out for at least 30 minutes every day! Your blog has also inspired me to eat more raw plants throughout the day which has made my body feel amazing! I now eat a big salad every day for lunch. So thank you so so much for all your blog has done for me!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — April 17th, 2011 at 6:00 pm

Glad I have helped you in many ways…I love knowing things like that. Thank you for telling me :)

Toyin — April 17, 2011 at 2:29 pm

Yes, I did already- I figured I have tofu at home and ALWAYS have peanut butter so why not make it~ Love, love, love it.

Don’t have the presser so was creative by putting the tofu in a strainer, placing a flat plate on top of it plus a heavy glass cup.

I’ll eat the next batch with some soaked couscous and lots of veggies and do some peanut sauce shots :)

Nikki — April 17, 2011 at 3:52 pm

yum. yum. yum. I love peanut butter & sunflower seed butter too.

I like to broil tofu with a layer of miso spread on top.
    Yes, I make my own peanut sauce.
    The best thing I ate this weekend was a homemade vegan pizza topped with mushroom, green onion, and cabbage… for breakfast. May sound weird, but it was delicious!

emma — April 17, 2011 at 4:06 pm

YUM! I am 110% making this asap!

Mimi (Gingersnaps) — April 17, 2011 at 5:20 pm

That recipe has me hungry and I don’t even like tofu that much. Then again, I just don’t cook with it to begin with and I dislike restaurant deep-fried tofu or “tofu cubes in soup” curries, so little experience. One time Sophia made us sesame-crusted tofu and it was amazing.

Do you cook with tempeh at all? I’ve had some pretty tasty tempeh in my day, and it doesn’t require pressing, which I like.

Lindsay — April 17, 2011 at 6:26 pm

Yummy! I have a brick of tofu in my fridge right now that I have a feeling might be destined for this recipe. Thanks!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table — April 17, 2011 at 9:33 pm

Tofu and crunchy PB were meant for one another! I make something very similar to this that you just reminded me it’s time to re-make. :)

Best thing this weekend… I can’t pick just one! I’ll generalize and say being outside all weekend. The spring weather was SO nice to have back!

Beth — April 18, 2011 at 6:45 am

We’ve never really been big fans of tofu. Basically we only eat it in Miso soup. However, this recipe might just change our minds. That sauce sounds so yummy!

I adore peanut butter sauce (peanut butter anything really) but have not yet made my own sauce. Will be trying it soon though.

Best thing I did on Sunday: got some fresh air (and rain, and hail) while getting the garbage ready for a “dump run” at the paintball field. Do I have a glamourous life or what? ;)

Lindsay — April 18, 2011 at 2:22 pm

I just got my tofu press last week and I’m already so in love. I’m making this for dinner tonight :) Thanks!!

Jun — April 18, 2011 at 9:25 pm

It sounds so yummy!!! Unfortunately I don’t have a tofu presser… ah well, I’ll find a way

Mark — April 20, 2011 at 7:05 pm

Great work. I as well love peanut sauce. If the bottle in the fridge runs out, I usually make a special trip to the store for more. I have never made my own before, this might have to replace the store bought. Thanks for the recipe. I love the tofu press you have too. That could save me a lot of time making a make-shift one.

Hellen — April 23, 2011 at 8:34 am

They look delicious! but I’m afraid that they are a little to heavy for the liver. :( am I wrong?

Vicky — October 31, 2011 at 6:34 am

this sounds absolutely delicious! I never even knew tofu presses existed! Must be so convenient! I think I’ll try making this for dinner tonight!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — October 31st, 2011 at 10:58 am

Yes it’s easier than dealing with lots of paper towels and is a handy little item but of course, a cast iron heavy pot or something heavy on top of tofu works too. Just anything to get the water out so the peanut sauce can get in better :)

Sarah — November 8, 2011 at 2:33 pm

Hi! Just made this for dinner. Served it with leftover brown rice and stir fry veggies. It was delicious! Loooveed the sauce. Thanks for the recipe.