Plugging Along & Bigfoot

I’ve sure been plugging along and keeping busy this week, and the weekend is in sight which is great.

The weather was gorgeous here  on Wednesday and the trend is continuing today.  Low 80s, sunny, not a cloud in the sky.  Just one of those days that makes me happy to be alive!

When it’s warm out, fruit tastes especially good.  Like grapes…

…and strawberries smeared with Chocolate Coconut Cashew Butter never hurt, either.

I plugged along right with a Target run yesterday, too.  I’ve been trying to get there since Easter Sunday when I realized they were closed, and although I found a few items at the drug store, I really needed a Target run because  Someone’s feet are growing.  And at t warp speed.

If she takes after me, she’ll be wearing a size 12 ladies shoe by time she’s 12.  Yes, that’s true. I wore a woman’s size 10 shoe at age 10, size 11 at 11, and size 12 at 12.  Thank God the trend stopped there.

I found these numbers at Tar-jay.  Perfect for warm weather and beach days, too.

For me, I picked up some health and beauty items, household products, and some cheapie dishes.  Each item was $2.99.  Cheap little thrills.

I don’t consider my blog “my job”, but in a way, it is. Having new items for food photography is essential.  At least that’s what I tell myself. Seriously though, who wants to look at pictures of food on the same plates or with the same linens.  Plus, the right dishes and linens can really bring out and accentuate certain colors or textures in food, too.

I like that these placemats are “reversible” (no ugly seams on the back side) so I can get two “looks” out of each color.

From my last post, sounds like you all are some Bag Lady’s, too!  Nothing wrong with that.

And it was fun hearing what you hoard collect or are “into”.  Shoes, purses, makeup, dishes, and more.  I can relate.

If you want to plug along and make a fast batch Butterscotch Rice Krispy Treats with Vegan Chocolate Frosting, you’ll be happy you did.

1. What have you plugged along with this week?

I have been really busy in the kitchen and with my photography.  It’s so fun cooking and then photographing the food.

If I didn’t have to work 40+ hours a week and parent 40+ hours a week, oh the things I could DO and accomplish in the kitchen, with my photography, and with my blog would be amazing!  I could really plug along and cover some serious ground.

But alas, not at this current life stage.  Those 80 hours are already spoken for.  So I plug along when and where I can and just do my best.

2. Have you found anything cute lately at Target or another store?

Target has all kinds of cheapie spring dishes and clothes.  And I just got the West Elm catalog in the mail yesterday.  Love it all, but I am not even going into the store.

3. Do you have small, average, or big feet?  Narrow, average, wide?  Do you love shoes?

My feet are long, aka big, and narrow.  I am almost 5’11” so my feet “match” my body but it’s insanely hard to find shoes.  I don’t want granny shoes, shoes that are “orthopedic” looking, I don’t want “walking” shoes.

I was sassy, sexy, fun, cute, hip shoes!   When I’m not in my Rainbow flips or ugg boots.

Nordstorm is okay for shoes in my size but pricey.  Some years they are better than others with their selection of shoes over a size 10 or 11, but other times, meh. Unfortunately, the shoe companies don’t want to make shoes in 12’s because I’m sure such a small percentage of the population needs them, but for those of us who do, it’s a real curse!

Mail order catalogs are usually pretty “granny” with their shoe styles.  And, mail order + shoes = a recipe for lots of shipping charges to send shoes back.  Don’t like to even bother.

All you size 8 regulars, count your blessings!  Don’t even tell me they are frequently sold out of your size. At least you have a size to choose from in another style.

I think Skylar’s feet will be just as big as mine but hopefully in the next ten years or so, the shoe companies will expand their size selection!

Talk to me about finding shoes in your size!

P.S. Don’t forget my Coconut Oil Give Away!

69 Responses to “Plugging Along & Bigfoot”

kate@ahealthypassion — April 28, 2011 at 1:35 pm

Love skylars new shoes she is all ready for your vacation annd the plate are cute too seriously love target you cant beat the deals and they always have new seasonal things!

Holly @ The Runny Egg — April 28, 2011 at 1:35 pm

Cute Target stuff! I love the shoes for Skylar and the plates/linens you found are adorable! Perfect for your photographs.

My feet are average I guess – 8 or 8.5 is good for me. The problem I have is that my feet are WIDE so not any ole 8 will do. My sister wears size 11 so she feels your pain Averie!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) — April 28, 2011 at 1:45 pm

I LOVE shoes! I would have way more, but the cheap skate in me doesn’t allow it. I’m short so my feet are considered small. Max stole my Chuck Taylor’s this week…I’m not happy about that at all! This week is all about writing and recipe development. I’ve actually really enjoyed it.

Heidi @ Food Doodles — April 28, 2011 at 1:59 pm

Love the dishes! I’m so jealous. I went into a second hand store in town the other day and my son tripped over something, haha. Good thing nothing was broken, but that’s the only place to shop for cute dishes around here, and even that is hit and miss. I didn’t find anything the other day. I’m starting to feel like my pictures are getting more and more boring because I use the same dishes :( Oh well, I’m slowly collecting more. This week has been so great, but now both kids are getting sick so I have a feeling we wont be plugging along with anything except getting better.
    I have small feet. My feet match me too, I’m short with small feet, hehe. I’m usually a size 6. It’s so frustrating looking up a size or two and finding shoes I like, but they don’t come in my size, but there’s probably more selection in size 6 than size 12! I feel for you!

Natasha — April 28, 2011 at 2:01 pm

Maybe i should be glad my foot is a 6.

At Target today we found all kinds of goodness from bathing suits to a fresh cup of Starbucks latte!

Rosalie — April 28, 2011 at 2:03 pm

I’ve been plugging along with my artwork: I’ve finally gotten around to starting the second of two 4’x5′ paintings my school has asked me to do for them… about three months after completing the first!
    Shoes… I feel your pain. I’m a size eleven (and only 5’7″, boo!) I live in Converse, tennis shoes, and otherwise unglamorous footwear. I’m absolutely dreading trying to find reasonably priced, cute heels for my upcoming prom! I think I might have to turn to eBay–pretty much every store I go into stops at 10, or only offers the really really unattractive ones in this size.

But less money spent on shoes means more money saved. Or more money spent on food c:

Erica — April 28, 2011 at 2:07 pm

CUTE shoe finds! The flip flops are my fav. I have feet that match my body! I’m 5’1″ and I wear a size 6 or 6 1/2 shoe. I like the dishes you got too. No real “finds” lately, but we’re doing a little shopping this weekend- so hopefully. I got a TON done this week in terms of setting up baby stuff, working, cooking EASY meals and getting some sleep (at last!). Happy (almost) Friday

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — April 28th, 2011 at 2:42 pm

Still can’t get in to your site but i am reading :) You are looking more adorable by the day!
      xo

Christine @ Merf In Progress — April 28, 2011 at 2:12 pm

I’m totally going to start picking up cute dishes and linens for my blog pics. I don’t take very many food pics, but when I do, they are so blah on my black place mats.

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — April 28, 2011 at 2:21 pm

You’re 5’11″? You don’t seem that tall to me! I’m 5’8″ and my feet are relatively normal. I wear a 7.5 or 8 and I have pretty skinny feet. I used to get so mad at my sister for stealing my shoes because she has horribly wide feet!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — April 28th, 2011 at 2:43 pm

Almost 5’11” yes. The first thing readers/blog friends always tell me when they meet me is, wow you’re so tall! haha :)

McKella — April 28, 2011 at 2:34 pm

Those placemats are way cute! I love cute dishes, but I don’t buy them because I don’t really have the room to store them, and I’m not into food photography. It’s one of those things that I love to look at and admire, but I don’t really want to do myself. Maybe that’s change, who knows. I accidentally break enough dishes that I may have to get some replacements soon anyway. Bummer :)
    Have I found anything cute at a store lately…I know Pillow Pets are everywhere, but yesterday at Shopko I saw the dolphin one for the first time and it was just this fat dolphin, it just looked so funny! And I always love to look at toys. Good toys, like play food and play kitchens and stuff like that, not Bratz dolls. I loved toys as a kid and I still do!
    And I guess my feet are kinda big, I’m 5’8″ and I wear a 9 1/2. I didn’t know feet could shrink! I used to love shoes, especially wedge heels but I married a guy that’s about an inch taller than me and I walk a lot, so I stick to flip flops, Vibram five fingers and ballet flats for church and dressy occasions. I have a few pairs of heel that I wear when he’s not around :)

Beth — April 28, 2011 at 2:42 pm

Hi Averie, I have an online shoe shop recommendation for. barefoottess.com has sizes that go up a size 15. And they definitely have non-Grandma orthopedic shoes. :)

the nyanzi report — April 28, 2011 at 2:51 pm

love the first picture.

Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope — April 28, 2011 at 4:04 pm

I always had larger than average feet as I was growing up, but I leveled out at 9.5. Skylar definitely has some great genes to follow after! :)

Bethany — April 28, 2011 at 4:05 pm

Oh how I love shoes, but not more than my sister. That girl’s closet is filled. My feet are a size 7 1/2 to 8, depending on the shoe, and narrow. I only have a hard time finding shoes because my size is so common, but at least I’m not like my cousin, Ben. He wears a size 13 or 13.5, but he has the height to match it. He would wack his head on the door if he stood up straight.

Paige @ Running Around Normal — April 28, 2011 at 5:08 pm

Ahhh everything in this post makes me want dessert!

Holler to the bigfoots out there!! 10-10.5 here :)

Megan — April 28, 2011 at 5:20 pm

I wear a size 6.5 to 7 but my feet are incredibly wide (like a dd or e width). My feet are probably wider than yours. they are almost as wide as they are long, but I have narrow heels so I almost have duck feet!

Lauren — April 28, 2011 at 5:21 pm

Now I want grapes! LoL and I still want that Coconut Cashew Butter. :)

Sam@I Tell Stories — April 28, 2011 at 5:23 pm

I’ve been plugging away at writing my novel. Bit by bit. Page by page. Lol. My “staycation” is almost over.

Love your new dishes :)

Stephanie — April 28, 2011 at 5:24 pm

Your new dishes are the cutest things I’ve ever seen! I’m such a sucker for all the seasonal “cute” stuff that stores like to throw at everyone’s face.

Your rice krispies treats look amazing as well!! I made strawberry pink ones for Easter this weekend. Love ‘em.

julie — April 28, 2011 at 5:29 pm

haha my sister wears a size 12! i wear a size 10 though :) big feet over hur.

i’ve been pluggin along with work this week! the week has gone by pretty fast but i’m not too excited for the weekend because i have butt loads of work to get done. when is school overrrR??

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — April 28th, 2011 at 6:54 pm

i cant get in to your site to comment…

the salmon from tj’s, i need to try that and the horseradish humms!

As for your sis wearing a 12. i feel her pain!!!

Grace — April 28, 2011 at 5:36 pm

Those shoes for Skylar are so cute! Am I the only one who wishes all too frequently that she could fit into kids shoes? They’re just so colorful and fun (not to mention super cheap compared to women’s shoes).

Sabina — April 28, 2011 at 5:39 pm

hey lady!

my feet are a funny shape: women’s size 6 in the length but size 6.5 in the width, so i usually go with a size 6.5. now, finding a 6.5, that’s tricky!

another odd thing, I think my feet have … shrunken in size! I used to be a size 6.5 in length and size 7 in the width… unless manufacturers have changed sizes! dun dun dun!

i love shoes, but am particular – i don’t like paying full price unless they are *perfect*. lucky for me, winners and stylesense (canadian version of marshalls or tj maxx) does the trick!

i’ve plugged along with … life this week! i’m really looking forward to the weekend.

finding anything cute in a store? i picked up two cute, cotton, flowy ankle-length skirts (fuchsia and aqua) that i’m dying for the weather to warm up to wear!

xoxo

Annie D @ Annie's Simple Life — April 28, 2011 at 5:51 pm

CUUUUUTE! I love Target.

AND I’M SOOOO TRYING THOSE RICE KRISPIES!!!

Kristin — April 28, 2011 at 6:08 pm

I totally feel your pain Averie, I’m a 10 1/2 and very few companies make a half size. Half my feet are my toes so shoes fit funny and uncomfortable, if it’s a size 10 too small and my toes are squished, if they are 11 then they slide and rub (not FUN!). I find that Nine west has a good selection of 10 1/2, aerosoles is okay, and recently I just search Amazon all the time looking for affordable shoes. My secret is wearing the beegezez out of my shoes. I get the tips, heels and everything in between fixed to get as much life out of my shoes as possible.

Christine (The Raw Project) — April 28, 2011 at 6:26 pm

Agreed on the weekend, what a week! Wow, Skylar is growing! Cute shoes! Cute plates, like the fun patterns.

1. Work and way too much of it! The last few weeks have been draining at my full time job and dealing with problem employees has not helped!
    2. Not lately, my last few Target trips have been all business on limited time. I need more fun shopping time.
    3. Big, size 11 in most shoes. And they’re narrow which makes finding shoes fun! :-P

Lauren @chigallauren — April 28, 2011 at 6:34 pm

I wear a size 12 and they’re wide to boot…I’m 6’1″ so they fit my body but that doesn’t make it easy to find shoes! Payless is great for when you need a quick pair…but I love Zappos!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — April 28th, 2011 at 6:56 pm

payless are cut really wide (at least for me) and so they are no-go’s. 100% they just fall off in the width for me :(

cathy — April 28, 2011 at 6:49 pm

LOVE your new dishes and skylar’s purple sandals – way cute!
    ah yes, if only we had countless hours to devote to our passions, our interests, without competing demands on our time (although i know you wouldn’t trade skylar time for the world).
    your shoe size: man, do you special order your vomeros, then? we only carry to women’s 11 at the store…but just know that you have LOTS of company – we get quite a lot of customers with size 10, 11…
    i’m a 7.5, narrow. nike fit me perfectly, also have good luck with mizunos. and i ADORE running shoes (hello, four pairs of nike frees alone currently in my collection!) – not that great that it’s easy to find my size – cha ching!
    keep giving us those pictures of sunshine and palm trees! thanks! :)

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — April 28th, 2011 at 6:57 pm

no i have to buy men’s vomeros. it sucks! i want the cute women’s colors but nike 12s in womens are too small so have to go up to mens. it’s quite the dilemma!

youre so sweet to ask :)

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit — April 28, 2011 at 7:04 pm

I have the highest arches known to mankind so I have a terrible time finding shoes that will fit my orthotoics. Sooo I stick to runners (New Balance). Wow, between not having a purse and wearing runners all the time, I sound so boring! I just… can’t be bothered with it all! I love dressing up once in awhile but couldn’t do it everyday. It’s so exhausting!

Mariah@Apples"N"Oats — April 28, 2011 at 7:04 pm

love your new dishes and placemats!
    I practically live in my rainbows…that or my fluffy moccasins!

Lauren (Diary of a Vegan Girl) — April 28, 2011 at 7:27 pm

I have really wide feet so its horrible buying shoes!

Mastering Public Health (@MasPublicHealth) — April 28, 2011 at 7:54 pm

I was never really into shoes, at all, but am starting to see the allure. OK, you’ve piqued my interest — now I want to see a tour of your shoe closet/collection!

Paula — April 28, 2011 at 8:03 pm

My heart skipped a beat when I read your shoe size. I’m 5’7″, and I wear a 12. My feet are average in width, I suppose. I’m in the same sad boat. There are more of us than shoe manufactures must realize. There are women and girls in size 13. It’s a shame that we can’t enjoy shoe-shopping.

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — April 28th, 2011 at 8:18 pm

i know, girls/women are getting bigger…hopefully the shoe mfgs will catch up and make us some cute shoes!

Cat @ WellSavannah.com — April 28, 2011 at 8:04 pm

I feel your size 12 narrow pain sista! I am 6’0″ and wear a 11 N, I used to be a 12 N but my feet shrunk after I had my (now) 6 year old. It was so strange. I attribute it to years of being crammed into basketball shoes and sprained ankles. So I guess my feet shrunk when I stopped all the crazy sports and moved on to more gentle….yoga! :)

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — April 28th, 2011 at 8:19 pm

pregnancy can really change your body all over…feet included. Have heard women going up and down sizes after pregnancy. And in general, too! Sorry you are part of the bigfoot clan too…I just wish we had better selection to choose from!

Deborah — April 28, 2011 at 8:26 pm

I’m a size 9 – but I think I’ve had the same size since I was in grade school! And Target is dangerous for me. Very, very dangerous…

Katie — April 28, 2011 at 8:40 pm

I have big feet. I’m not a 12, but I’ve been a 10 since I was 10! It’s hard to find shoes; a lot of companies only stop at size 9 or European 40. You probably already know about this, but barefoottess.com stocks larger sized ladies’ shoes!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — April 28th, 2011 at 9:12 pm

girl i was JUST thinking about you today!! hi!!!

And no, did not know about barefoottess til another reader told me 2 hrs ago…thank you for validating it! and 10 at 10. good thing yours stopped :)

Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food — April 28, 2011 at 9:55 pm

I’m plugging along as well :) Your strides in photography are inspirational to me, I can’t wait to live in a new apartment (place yet to be determined) that has more natural light as we’re in a garden apartment!

I have size 10 feet so it’s not too hard to find my size but my brother is 6 foot 6 and has size 14 feet so he’s always had to order his shoes special! :P

Ellie@fitforthesoul — April 28, 2011 at 11:50 pm

hehe~well I’m only 5’1″ and my feet are 7.5-8! they’re loong for someone my size :P did I impress ya?

Tasha @ Voracious — April 29, 2011 at 12:55 am

I love all your new plates and tablecloths! I always like to stock up when I see cute fabrics and cups/plates whenever I see them. Unfortunately here, that’s not too often! I miss Target where things were cute AND cheap. Lucky you!

And ohhhh you sound like me. I had size 10 feet when I was just a youngin’. You and I are both tall, and we both LOVE it, right? Hopefully Skylar will be just as lucky. I wouldn’t trade an inch, being tall has always been one of my favorite things. My feet are long and narrow with a high arch, but I’ve been lucky and never had to struggle to find shoes that fit. Of course, I mostly where flip flops and riding shoes, so not too much to worry about!

Cynthia K — April 29, 2011 at 4:31 am

I think I’m lucky as far as shoes go…I’m 5’11” with a size 9 foot (they were 8 1/2 before I had my daughter though, she made my feet grow!) My mother wears an 11 though and has such a hard time finding shoes.

Hannah (Balancing on Two Feet) — April 29, 2011 at 6:08 am

I love your new dish finds! I have a weak spot for bright colors and neat bowls. I may have to make a target trip!

I am a regular size 8 shoe, but sometimes it can be hard to find the size I want at good prices since it is soooo popular.

I always laugh when you say you don’t have enough time to make your blog amazing. I think it is amazing and can’t fathom how you do it with working a full time job and being a parent. You are superwomen!!!!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — April 29th, 2011 at 12:14 pm

Hannah, thank you for what you said…some days I don’t know how I do it either but thanks for the compliments :)

Carrie — April 29, 2011 at 6:27 am

You have nothing about this in your post today…but i had to let you know! I made the veganiese dressing for my Dinner Salad : Romaine lettuce, strawberries, golden tomatoes, dried cherries , almonds and im not a vegan so i had a 3 oz piece of chicken i needed to use and the dressing! I was a little worried about the taste but it was Delish!! So yummy. I love your recipes so much! Down 24 pounds so far from finding easy healthy recipes! thank you for that help!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — April 29th, 2011 at 12:15 pm

So glad you like my vegan slaw dressing..and you’re not even vegan! And awesome that you’re losing weight and getting healthier…great work and keep it up :)

Katie M — April 29, 2011 at 7:38 am

I have average feet…size 8.5..which poses a different calamity for me. Everytime I go shopping they don’t have my size because it’s a popular size. I however last summer i discovered I fit into the largest boys size which allowed me to get some Teva sandals for $30 that would normally have cost me $90. Yay! I’m not much of a bag girl(i own 1) or a shoe girl (only 5 pair). I do however have a ton of cook books. I read them like romance novels :P

Joshua — April 29, 2011 at 9:17 am

Honestly, I’ve never had a problem finding shoes. Men’s 11.5. Easy to find, easy to fit. Plus, not much variety in men’s shoes, really.

Grapes?!
    Chocolate-Butterscotch Rice Krispie Treats?!

Of all the days I’m not able to eat lunch!!!!

Amber K — April 29, 2011 at 9:36 am

I hate shopping for shoes! Although I can’t complain too much, I’m a size 9 wide. I used to be a 10/11, but after losing weight my feet actually shrunk. Although, they are still as wide as ever, so trying to find a pair of shoes that is in my size, that is wide, and that is actually cute is a pain!

180360 — April 29, 2011 at 9:55 am

I was *just* looking at the West Elm catalog yesterday and thought there were some lovely plates for food photography in there! :)

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — April 29th, 2011 at 12:17 pm

I was looking at all not only their dinnerware, but their furniture, and just how they style their photos/shots,too. Over the past 2-3 yrs, I have re-done my entire house in West Elm. Love that store!!

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) — April 29, 2011 at 6:58 pm

I have big feet, too! Size 10… ever since I was, yep… 10! haha But the rest of my body never caught up. I’m only 5’2″ and a half. :( It’s weird, I wear size 10 shoes but size 4 and 5 rings. Tiny hands, BIG feet. :roll:

Skylar definitely takes after her momma! She is all you. And so lucky to have height on her side! I would LOVE to be your height. Sigh. I can tell that you must have very strong, healthy bones, your gorgeous teeth are evidence of that!

I love Target. I could do some serious damage in there. They have all my favorite Hello Kitty stuff, lol. Your new dishes are CUTE! I need some summery colors for photos… I haven’t had time to fuss, though. I buy dishes in Rite Aid, check them out next time you’re there. I buy them just about anywhere I find something cute, lol.

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — April 29th, 2011 at 7:17 pm

omg i bought kids’ plates at riteaid in their dollar bins for a 3 yr olds bday party…figured the mom didnt need one more toy truck and she could actually use the gift to feed the kid…so yes, they do have cute dishes at riteaid!

and you having a size 10 and being your height…and a size 4 ring..go figure!

“you must have very strong, healthy bones, your gorgeous teeth are evidence of that!”–ok my teeth are so strong that when i had my wisdom teeth pulled i got 3 out of 4 dry sockets and they pretty much had to chisel them out. like…my bones are strong. i better knock on some wood right now before i chip a tooth!!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — April 30, 2011 at 1:41 pm

My feet are pretty average I think … I wear a size 8. My heels seem to be pretty narrow though, and my feet always fall out of heels unless they have a strap across them.

Krista — May 2, 2011 at 7:27 am

Love green grapes…esp when they are crisp! CUTE dishes! I haven’t bought any in quite sometime, but haven’t really been out shopping much, either. I wear a size 8 shoe….pretty standard…..:)