Cinnamon Raisin Rice Pudding

This is the easiest and fastest homemade rice pudding recipe, ever. Five ingredients and 20 minutes from start to finish.

Well, honestly, I don’t really peruse rice pudding recipes online, but I am pretty sure this one has to be a top contender in the ‘easy, fast, simple, but tastes wonderful’ category.

Cinnamon Raisin Rice Pudding (gluten-free)

1 c uncooked rice

1 can sweetened condensed milk (dairyfree option: full fat coconut milk + agave/stevia to sweeten it)

1 tbsp cinnamon

1 tsp vanilla extract

1/2 c raisins

Directions:

Cook one cup of rice according to the directions (probably adding about 1.75 to 2 c of water to it) and when it’s done, add the remaining ingredients.  Stir to combine and simmer for 5 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and mixture is fairly thick.

Notes: Pudding will thicken once cooled, so it’s not necessary to cook all the liquid out.  And, over time in the refrigerator, the rice pudding will also thicken and if it becomes too thick, add a splash of water and stir in until it’s creamy again.

Yields: 6 hearty portions of pudding.  Will keep in the fridge for many days.  My grandma used to freeze hers and re-thaw it.

A Visual Guide

Gather your ingredients

Cook the rice

Add everything else, stir, and simmer

Garnish with extra raisins, if desired, and serve warm or chilled.  Whatever floats your rice boat.

The sweetened condensed milk, with vanilla extract, cinnamon, and raisins brought back wonderful childhood memories of the pudding my grandma used to make for me.

So rich, creamy, sweet, and comforting.

The raisins add a perfect chewy texture.

I impressed myself that I made this from start to finish in 20 minutes.

Scott and Skylar were impressed with the taste.  Lots of oohs and ahhs.

If you happen to need other recipes to use up stray sweetened condensed milk (not that that’s a big “problem” to have) try Chocolate Peanut Butter Fudge

Or No Bake Vanilla Cake Batter Chocolate Truffles

Today’s recipe and the chocolate truffles are both: 5 ingredient recipes, and both use vanilla and sweetened condensed milk for two of the 5 items.   How’s that for trivia you don’t care about.

From my last post on Delicious Desserts, I’m glad I got you drooling!

And also, thanks for your Best Of Submissions.  Keep ‘em coming.  I’ll close the comments once I am in recipe submission overload.  But I’m not there, yet.

1. Do you like rice pudding?

Yes, and I had not had any in about 20 years since my grandma last made me some.  Kozy Shack from the grocery store doesn’t count because it’s not homemade, but I will admit, that stuff is good!

2. Have you ever made rice pudding?

Not until this recipe.  I had no idea what I was doing but everything seemed to turn out, just fine.

3. Have you ever made real pudding from scratch? Not talking Jello Pudding from the box.

I have not because eggs and cornstarch aren’t ingredients I work with much.

The closest thing I come to “pudding” is Raw Vegan Chocolate MousseNo corn starch involved.  Just a secret ingredient.

Have a great Sunday!

47 Responses to “Cinnamon Raisin Rice Pudding”

CathyK — April 10, 2011 at 3:14 am

i have not had rice puddiing since childhood – no fond memories, to be honest. my mom also used to make tapioca pudding, which we called “fish eyes” – again, did not like it!
    therefore, i have never made my own pudding. i like your quick n ez version – i would sub in choco chips since i don’t like raisins (wow, i sound picky, today!).
    have a great sunday! have fun with your special plans!

Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope — April 10, 2011 at 4:36 am

I’ve never tried rice pudding… crazy, right? But I love how good this recipe sounds. And those rainsins look perfect in the mix!

My grandma used to make homemade chocolate pudding occasionally, but otherwise just the boxed jello kind for me! I used to love the banana flavor.

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — April 10, 2011 at 4:59 am

I love rice pudding, but I’ve never made it! I think I just might – except I have a can of coconut milk that’s itching to be used!

Donca @ loser's digest — April 10, 2011 at 5:26 am

I love rice pudding. So easy to make and nourishing.
    Also, the extra effort you are putting into your photos really does show I’m no expert in photography but they really are getting better and better :)

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine — April 10, 2011 at 5:33 am

Looooove rice pudding. I think it’s my favorite kind!! In elementary school it was considered a “weird” food, so I hid my love for it, but now I embrace it. So good. I make a vegan breakfast rice pudding that isn’t quite as good as the original, but it’s still pretty darn awesome!! And I’ve never made the REAL stuff, but I feel like I should give it a go to see what I’m missing out on :)

Erica — April 10, 2011 at 5:37 am

This looks great! I was actually considering making rice pudding for easter as a dessert…so I may be coming back to this recipe! Gotta love an easy one!!

dragonmamma/naomi — April 10, 2011 at 6:12 am

I haven’t made rice pudding for years. Why? Because I love it so much I can’t stop eating it till I feel like I’m ready to pop!

Second fave: Carrot pudding. Pretty much the same recipe but with finely shredded carrots simmered in the milk of choice until it is soft.

Anne — April 10, 2011 at 6:13 am

I have a problem with the rice/raisin combo…wanna know why? My old farmhand-feeding grandmother has only one menu, a local staple, for festive occasions with many invitees: Clear soup with whitish flour- and meatballs, greyish boiled chicken on the side and a big dollop of brownish, overcooked rice and rasins, right in the middle (middle of the soup – I mean…what?). It was one of those childhood nightmares that scars you for life, hahaha :-)

On the other hand, a Christmas staple, countrywide and to this day, is vanilla rice pudding with milk and almonds, cherry sauce on top – that’s more like it :-).

I finally got myself some sun warrior rice protein (rice theme comment, this one?) and no wonder you’re recommending: it’s a lot better than my regular. Mmm, protein breakfast cookies on the menu again, I’d forgotten just how GOOD they are!

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit — April 10, 2011 at 6:19 am

I loooove rice pudding. I’d never had it until a couple of weeks ago when I made it for myself. It was delicious! I like that your recipe only takes 20 min!

Jen (The Best Kitchen) — April 10, 2011 at 6:22 am

Great pictures. Rice pudding… I love it :D but I’ve never tried to make it. I guess I have to try this recipe. Thanks

Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food — April 10, 2011 at 7:18 am

mmm mmm mmmmmm

you know i really am not much of a pudding person but that looks lovely!
    not too gelatinous or heavy :)

Rachel (tea and chocolate) — April 10, 2011 at 7:21 am

I never make rice pudding because it takes so long, so this recipe looks perfect. Beautiful pictures once again! I’m amazed how much you’ve learned about photography in such a short time.

Have a wonderful Sunday, Averie!

Katrina (gluten free gidget) — April 10, 2011 at 7:22 am

1) LOVE rice pudding! My favorite use to be from TooJays Deli! I haven’t had it in forever though because of the whole dairy thing.
    2) No, but I should!
    3) Yes, I have made my own pudding. I made it for a pie filling. My secret ingredient? Vance’s DariFree!

McKella — April 10, 2011 at 7:24 am

I’m not a big rice pudding fan, but this looks really good. The husband sure likes it though, so I should give it a try! I love the idea of using stevia-sweetened coconut milk!

marla — April 10, 2011 at 7:28 am

Love the look of this rice pudding Averie – a true comfort food :)

melissa @ the delicate place — April 10, 2011 at 7:28 am

as a kid, we went to a neighborhood deli that had the best rice pudding! i never thought about the sweetened condensed milk—it may be too sweet for me but my hubs would like it haha. i am obsessed with choco-cado pudding right now, i love how rich it is sans all the gross preservatives a box mix would give you for pudding.

Megan@eatmybeets — April 10, 2011 at 7:46 am

Soo glad that you reviewed that shampoo! I’ve been debating buying it because I’ve found that sometimes the shampoos that are sulfate-free end up overly drying my hair. (I think it’s the brands I’ve been using) And of course it’s hard to justify spending 6.99 for shampoo and conditioner. But now that I’ve seen your review, I’m definitely going to be trying it.

Christine (The Raw Project) — April 10, 2011 at 8:22 am

The rice pudding looks great, awesome job! It’s been ages since I’ve had it, but should try a vegan version.

1. I like puddings and have really been enjoying chia seed pudding lately, so I guess so.
    2. Nope.
    3. Yes, my chia seed puddings are using homemade hemp milk, sweetener and chia seeds.

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) — April 10, 2011 at 8:38 am

This is SO weird!! As I was falling asleep last night I was thinking about rice pudding!!!! :o Yes, odd thing to think about… in bed, but whatever. Food is yummy, lol. I LOVE rice pudding!! This looks fantastic. I love the idea of using coconut milk, but condensed milk is soooo good, lol. It’s like crack in a can!

My parents used to make rice pudding all the time, but it was dry and gross. Not like the kind they sold as the diner that was all creamy and yummy, like Kozy Shack, LOL. This looks YUMMY! Want :)

Noya - gluttonandstudent — April 10, 2011 at 9:04 am

I love rice pudding – well, pretty much any pudding…

I tried to make a version of “healthy rice pudding” (a recipe I saw on a blog) and it didn’t turn out so great considering I’m in a dorm room and have very little options when it comes to cooking. Let’s just say the brown rice from an on-campus cafeteria was a little funky…

Amber K — April 10, 2011 at 9:05 am

I am absolutely not a fan. And it’s all about texture.

If I’m chewing something it can’t be creamy (exactly what I add about half the amount of liquid to oatmeal that most people add, almost an oatmeal cookie texture instead of “oatmeal”). And if something is creamy it has to be 100% smooth. No chunks. My biggest pet peeve of even baked goods is biting into something soft and doughy only to find a crunchy nut or chewy raisin.

Mary (What's Cookin' with Mary) — April 10, 2011 at 9:31 am

LOVE the print me feature ! :D …and I love rice pudding. My Mom used to make it if we had leftover rice from dinner. Brings back fond memories! I’ve never tried to make that or pudding myself though… but I think it would be fun!

Lauren (Diary of a Vegan Girl) — April 10, 2011 at 11:19 am

Yum! This looks so delicious! I remember eating rice pudding as a child but I don’t think I’ve had it since then. I just might have to make this! Thank you :)

Nikki — April 10, 2011 at 11:45 am

I love rice pudding, but haven’t had it or made it since going vegan. And I love that you added the dairy free option with the coconut milk. Yum!

Jenny (Fit Girl Foodie) — April 10, 2011 at 12:10 pm

I’ve never made rice in a sweet way before but I do like rice pudding. Quick and easy recipes are right up my alley! :D

kristina@beancakes — April 10, 2011 at 12:18 pm

mmmmm! that looks soo good, i love rice pudding! will have to make this sometime ;) i really do like your recipes!

Holly @ The Runny Egg — April 10, 2011 at 12:21 pm

I don’t think I’ve ever had rice pudding — but I bet this tastes super good because it uses sweetened condensed milk and I love desserts with that ingredient. Seriously whenever I use it I eat a big spoonful because it is so good!

I used to make jello pudding all the time — and I still love it but my stomach sure hates me for it. I’ve also made your avocado mousse and that stuff is unbelievably good.

Salah (My Healthiest Lifestyle) — April 10, 2011 at 1:26 pm

mmmm I want rice pudding now :-)

Moni'sMeals — April 10, 2011 at 1:45 pm

Good Lord mama! this I will try for sure. Never really a big fan of rice pudding but you make it seem effortless.

Loved those Delicious Desserts, I ate chocolate chips the whole time I read it. How could I not?

Katie — April 10, 2011 at 1:51 pm

I am all about pudding made from pureed winter squash. I eat it daily, no joke.

I had rice pudding all the time in Costa Rica. The cooked were always serving that for dessert. After dinner of rice and beans. It was total crap. That’s not dessert. ;)

Meghan @ StruggleMuffins — April 10, 2011 at 1:54 pm

I’ve always stayed away from rice pudding because rice takes so damn long to make…but this looks doable. Also, I love love love the Jumbo Raisin Medley from Trader Joe’s – its ruined me though now because regular raisins just don’t cut it for me anymore ;)

Ari@ThE DiVa DiSh — April 10, 2011 at 2:09 pm

Your pictures look BEAUTIFUL averie! I can taste the creamy goodness of that rice pudding!

Kate (What Kate is Cooking) — April 10, 2011 at 2:39 pm

I’ve never had rice pudding before! I actually don’t like rice, but I am positive I would like it in a pudding form :)

hippierunner — April 10, 2011 at 3:11 pm

Maybe this can be the kick in the pants I needed to make it. :) My boyfriend is always wishing for rice pudding but I’ve never ate it or made it.

ErikaL — April 10, 2011 at 4:40 pm

OMG Averie!
    I absolutely love rice pudding and this looks so delicious I’ll have to make it tonight!
    In Mexico where I’m from we call it arroz con leche and people make it for dessert all the time.
    On Friday I make your Salsa & Cheezey Baked Beans and Vegetable dish and my whole family loved it!
    And they are now addicted to your No Bake Vanilla Cake Batter Chocolate Truffles

Gracias!!

Marie Lambo — April 10, 2011 at 4:45 pm

I literally enjoy and follow your blog daily! I love the photo side of it! so informative and inspirational!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — April 10, 2011 at 8:03 pm

I never grew up eating rice pudding, so I am often leery of it, but I do think it tastes pretty good. I have made pudding from scratch, but not recently. My mom used to make it all the time when I was growing up.

Beth — April 11, 2011 at 6:42 am

Really like the photos you took of your rice pudding. Nicely set up with ramekins, plates, placemats, etc.

I LOVE rice pudding, but don’t have it very often. While in Barbados my husband made a batch for us each week. Very easy stove top recipe. No oven needed thankfully.

The rice pudding recipe I usually make does require baking. But it always turns out great.

I made real pudding from scratch for one of my girl scout badges. Came pretty close to burning it. Haven’t made it again. I’ll stick to the avocado version :)

Laury @thefitnessdish — April 11, 2011 at 12:42 pm

YUM! I made quinoa pudding with dried cherries and coconut a few months ago and posted. I LOOOOOVE rice pudding though, think I like it more than quinoa pudding! SO good!!!

Those cake batter chocolate truffles are calling my name!!!!!! You should do a giveaway of your treats :-)

pymcat — August 31, 2012 at 8:39 am

i had several can of condensed milk that were going to expire and for days i’ve looked for rice pudding recipes and couldnt find one until i found yours today and boy did it taste great !! thanks so much

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — August 31st, 2012 at 9:24 am

So glad you were able to put the SCMilk to use and liked the pudding!

Lynn Anne — April 6, 2014 at 5:48 pm

Recipe looks good, but is sweet. Love the ease, though, and the flavor is good other than the SWEET, so will be trying again with maybe more rice and some milk to make up the liquid. Thanks for sharing!