Soups, Salads, Dips, & Savory Recipes

Last week I posted about the Delicious Desserts and although I naturally gravitate to sweet over savory, it’s not fair to neglect savory in my weekly roundup of great food and recipes I’ve seen in the sphere.  Hopefully there’s something for everyone here: Soup, Salads, Dips, Savory Fare

Enjoy!

Ashley’s Chickpea Herbed Veggie Burgers

Angela’s Back on Track II Cilantro Lime Spelt Berry Salad

If you need Dessert after all that, Check This Post for a Dessert Roundup

Great Reads of the Week:

Janetha’s Taking the Party Out of the Girl

Kailey’s Where It Takes Us

From my last post about Just Noochy & Food Trivia, I had no idea that my little mention that I had learned that Oreos were vegan would cause as many comments as it did.  I agree, they are filled with chemicals but many of you seem to like them anyway.  It’s okay.  I do, too.

Glad to know many of you love your nooch as much as I do.  Glad you liked my nooch recipes and yes, order it online as I suggested to save money.

1. Have you seen, made, or wanted to make any really awesome looking recipes from the blogosphere recently?

Do tell!

2. Weekend plans?

Nothing other than what I mentioned already:  Working, working out, taking care of Skylar, carrying on, business as usual, and possibly the farmer’s market on Sunday morning.  If I can wake up in time.

I am going to enjoy the wonderful weather we’re having.  80F and sunny, and the flowers are alive.  Yes, I will rub it in.  It’s why I pay through the nose to live here and don’t mind.

The hibiscus I saw on my running path today made me go back with my camera and snap a few pictures.

Enjoy your weekend!

49 Responses to “Soups, Salads, Dips, & Savory Recipes”

Cathy — April 16, 2011 at 3:13 am

thanks for the recipe round-up!
    i gravitate to sweet over savoury, too.
    i’d go back to photograph that hibiscus, too! utterly gorgeous. thanks for sharing its beauty! we can never have too many floral pics!

Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope — April 16, 2011 at 4:17 am

So much delicious goodness! And I can’t wait until the Farmers Market start here… I love getting fresh produce on the weekends!

Jess@HealthyExposures — April 16, 2011 at 4:17 am

Awesome recipe round-up! It’s true; while I “recipe surf” I’m more easily drawn to sweet recipes…but it’s usually the savory ones that I end up actually making! Maybe because I’m more picky about my sweet flavor combos, but love finding new flavor combos for savory?
    I saw these orange fig muffins on the artsy kitchen the other day: http://theartsykitchen.com/2011/04/14/orange-fig-muffins/ they’ve got me drooling!

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) — April 16, 2011 at 4:39 am

I want to make damn near everything I see on blogs, LOL. I need more hours and meals in a day! :)

Making homemade mustard in on my to-make list! I have like a pound of mustard powder sitting on the shelf for like 6 months now with that good intention, haha.

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} — April 16, 2011 at 4:53 am

It’s so hard to choose what to make from the blogs I read because so many things intrigue me. You’ve got a great round-up here! Happy weekend! :-)

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit — April 16, 2011 at 5:04 am

Yum, everything looks so good… but if I had to chose one, it would probably be that hummus. What beautiful pictures!
    I’m finally getting around to making black bean brownies today. I’ve been wanting to make them for months, but just haven’t had the time… until now! I can’t wait.

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — April 16, 2011 at 5:28 am

All of those recipes look amazing! Thank you for featuring mine!

• Chasmine replied: — April 20th, 2011 at 1:47 am

That’s way the betsest answer so far!

Jen (The Best Kitchen) — April 16, 2011 at 5:34 am

Thanks for all the recipes. The photos looks amazing (=

The Preppy Vegan — April 16, 2011 at 5:41 am

Mouth-watering! I recently made a coconut curry chowder that came out beautifully: http://www.thepreppyvegan.com/2011/04/coconut-curry-chowder.html. Moms from the school I teach are even making it for their families!

The Preppy Vegan — April 16, 2011 at 5:43 am

Your pictures of California always make me jealous…currently I’m hunkered down in North Carolina with thunder and a tornado warning…no hibiscus here!

• Conyers replied: — April 20th, 2011 at 8:39 am

YMMD with that asnewr! TX

Meg — April 16, 2011 at 5:56 am

Mmmm holy flippin deliciousness around the bloggieworld. This is why I love blogging :) and thank YOU for sharing!

p.s. loving the noochy recipes from yesterday, totally gotta stock up ASAP :D

Hannah (Balancing on Two Feet) — April 16, 2011 at 6:04 am

Love this round-up! There are so many tasty looking eats everywhere. I’ve started to print them all off since otherwise I loose track of where I see everything! My latest creation was a spinoff from the Quinoa Protein Bowl over at Choosing Raw.

Weekend plans-sadly today is rainy here in Ohio but I won’t let that get to me…it is my Birthday! Some yoga this morning and then family celebrations tonight!

marla — April 16, 2011 at 6:27 am

I just went through each and everyone of these delightful recipes. Love those terrines and artichokes! All of them are awesome. Thanks for sharing my hummus! xo

melissa @ the delicate place — April 16, 2011 at 6:40 am

omg i wish i would have seen this last night! i tweeted out that i was craving savory in a big way #pms haha. some months all i want is super rich, chocolately sweet but this time i wanted savory! well here’s to making some stuff today! thanks averie!

Amanda- The Nutritionist Reviews — April 16, 2011 at 7:19 am

Wow those all looks amazing! Thanks for the roundup!

McKella — April 16, 2011 at 7:21 am

That coconut curry soup caught my eye too!
    This has been a good week for blog recipes. I made these mocha almond fudge cookies last night from How Sweet it Is and they are GOOD.
    Here’s the link in case you’re interested!:http://www.howsweeteats.com/2011/04/mocha-almond-fudge-cookies/

• Lavinia replied: — April 19th, 2011 at 8:14 pm

IMHO you’ve got the right aswner!

• hdsnoaxu replied: — April 20th, 2011 at 6:23 pm

2Vw746 , [url=http://huouejleessk.com/]huouejleessk[/url], [link=http://tajwmcrmpnfe.com/]tajwmcrmpnfe[/link], http://iamditofxynd.com/

Lauren — April 16, 2011 at 8:17 am

Those are some great looking recipes! I have no big plans for this weekend, mostly studying unfortunately…

Christine (The Raw Project) — April 16, 2011 at 8:18 am

Wow, so many great recipes here. Especially the artichokes, hummus, mustard, Gena’s dressing, and yum! Yeah, I’m a fan of desserts, but focus on more savory dishes over the week.

1. Yes, too many to list and that considering my limited blog reading this this week!
    2. Hopefully getting in a little gardening, asparagus fest, working out and shopping.

• Luella replied: — April 20th, 2011 at 12:24 pm

1y1OHi Walking in the presence of giants here. Cool thinking all aronud!

Holly @ The Runny Egg — April 16, 2011 at 8:26 am

I love the recipe roundup — you listed plenty of blogs that I don’t read so I never would have seen those pictures!

I have a list somewhere of some recipes I want to try — honestly the only one I can think of right now is a PB bread from Eat Live Run!

Have a nice weekend Averie!

• Fanni replied: — April 20th, 2011 at 5:58 am

Glad I’ve fnially found something I agree with!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — April 16, 2011 at 8:34 am

We were supposed to go on a little 2 hr road trip to visit my mom, but the roads are too icy due to the snow fall we got yesterday :-(

Amber K — April 16, 2011 at 9:48 am

I totally want to make Angela’s back on track salad. It looks sooo delicious! I can’t wait until the farmer’s market starts up near me. I’ve been waiting for forever! But I don’t think they start until May. Bummer!

I am super excited for my weekend plans! About to go pick up one of nieces and one of my nephews to hang out with for the day. They are 18 month old twins and I love them to pieces!

Katie — April 16, 2011 at 9:56 am

I want to make everything! But the fried artichokes?!? Genius. I love artichokes, but I am too lazy and scared to make them from fresh. That looks so good though. I mean, a fried veggie can’t be bad, right?

Thanks for the shout-out!

Kath (My Funny Little Life) — April 16, 2011 at 10:43 am

These look wonderful! Especially the soup and the roasted artichokes make me drool instantly. :)

I’m thinking a lot about roasted prawns in a creamy parsley sauce I’ve seen on a blog lately. And I also want to try out a very simple and very awesome coconut macaroon recipe. :)

Ann Claire — April 16, 2011 at 10:43 am

All of those savory dishes look so good!
    1) Yes, tons of recipes from How Sweet Eats!
    2) I had prom last night and am just taking it easy today!

Lauren (Diary of a Vegan Girl) — April 16, 2011 at 1:32 pm

All of those recipes look so good! Thank you for showcasing them on your blog :)

Jackie Smith — April 16, 2011 at 2:49 pm

Did you see this gluten free naan on the aartiparty blog? http://www.aartipaarti.com/2011/03/17/gluten-free-naan/

This is actually the last recipe I made from a blog. I’m woefully behind on my blog reading, obviously! (It was delicious!) http://kblog.lunchboxbunch.com/2010/03/asian-noodle-salad-with-sticky-ginger.html

Kristin — April 16, 2011 at 2:55 pm

Oh, I just love your blog! The photoes are incredible, and the food oh-so-tempting! Thank you so much for all your lovely recipes and ideas!

carin — April 16, 2011 at 3:29 pm

thanks for the comment! i will not give up on the nuggets, when i called (yes, i called trader joe’s), they said it was a manufacturer issues, so as soon as they find a new source they’ll make them again.

i think my view would be much different if i lived in san diego. i live in loma linda, in the heart of the IE, aka pretty much the worst part of california :). while i do like it in jan-feb, i don’t like running my airconditioner from april onward. that’s funny you’re from minnesota, my boyfriend is from there and i’m from ohio….so I’ll be moving back to wisconsin for internal medicine residency in a few months, then he’ll join me next year when he’s done with his residency out here. what can i say, we’re both loyal midwesterners and want to be closer to home (plus avoid paying the CA cost of living! :) )

i just got a vitamix for my birthday! can’t wait to try some of your recipes once it arrives this week.

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — April 18th, 2011 at 7:31 pm

have fun with your Vita! and yes, san diego is the creme de la creme of CA, well, IMO it is :) That, and the wine country and San Fran. But I like the weather down here better.

Good luck w/ the move back to WI. One of my closest bloggie friends just finished her PhD and is moving back to WI this summer! She’s from there and ironically is ending up back there.

Lisa is Raw on $10 a Day — April 16, 2011 at 7:26 pm

Isn’t photography awesome?? And food + photography = bliss. I need a better camera, though.

I have a “recipes to try” list a mile long. We have a few favorites, but other than that we have something new nearly all the time.

The flower pics are gorgeous. My weekend plans are to stay warm lol. It’s back down in the 40s! I do think it would be worth a lot to live somewhere warm and pleasant!

Jeanette — April 16, 2011 at 7:49 pm

What gorgeous photos and recipes to boot! I am so grateful I came across your blog!

Megan — April 16, 2011 at 10:07 pm

There are so many great recipes around the blogosphere it’s hard to know where to start! I recently made ravioli with wonton wrappers and that turned out really well.
    As for weekend plans I took my son to his first baseball practice this morning, then late we went for dinner at a friend’s house. Tomorrow I don’t have much planned, just housework and errands, and I might make hot cross buns if I have time.
    Nice blog by the way! I can’t wait to read more.

Beth — April 17, 2011 at 4:43 am

The rain came early yesterday, but we still managed to get 3 hours of work done at the paintball field.
    Having to leave early allowed us to spend more time with family celebrating my SIL birthday. Woo-Hoo!

Gena — April 17, 2011 at 7:19 pm

Thank you, Averie!!! I am filled with sunshine myself to see the salad featured among so many other lovely recipes. I also was reading back on posts and was happy to see that your nooch arrived–what would life be, I ask you, without the stuff?

Kailey (SnackFace) — April 18, 2011 at 6:37 pm

Wow! I’m so honored for the shout-out! Thanks so much, Averie!

I just read about Kath’s cookie dough oats shake, and that sounds nothing short of incredible! Too bad I have a leaky blender, or else I’d try it!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — April 18th, 2011 at 7:32 pm

Well your post struck a chord with me…the pressure to keep up, to be better, have more views, to churn out post after post, the comparisons that inevitably happen…I love you for blogging about what you want to blog about and not getting too wrapped up in the rat race!

xoxo

janetha @ meals & moves — April 19, 2011 at 10:57 am

thanks for the holler!

Daca — April 20, 2011 at 6:03 am

Wow, these are amazing pictures. I vote for second one Leanne’s Light Quinoa and Avocado Tabbouleh Verrines really looks great.

Bettie — April 20, 2011 at 12:49 pm

N3agD7 Stands back from the keyboard in aazmement! Thanks!