Turbo Mode

I have been in Turbo Mode this week.   Between working full time, single parenting many days of the month because Scott travels for his work, and just getting my errands ran, my blog tended to, food made, clothes washed, butts wiped, and finding time for a great meetup with a wonderful friend, I have been rushing around in fifth gear all week.  Not something new, though.

Yesterday I went to

Trader Joe’s

regular grocery store

picked up a prescription

tanned (in preparation for our impromptu vacation that’s coming up)

cooked

cleaned

parented

got in a 3 mile run and a 20 minute at home workout

and then I still had to go to my paid work.

So pretty much I just sat around on the couch eating peanut butter caramel chocolate chip cookies (vegan, GF).  Kidding. Sleep?  What’s that?

I have been making food on the fly like salads with fresh veggies

Dressed with homemade Vegan Slaw Dressing

I’ve wanted to make up some Salsa & Cheezey Baked Beans & Vegetables too

Makes a decent quantity so I have planned leftovers for future meals which saves me precious time!

Desserts are always in order.  Even when in turbo mode.

Something easy, one bowl, no baking required, not a lot of dishes.  And Chocolaty.

Raw Vegan Chocolate Coconut Snowballs

From my last post, Easter Baskets and Celebrating, it was interesting to hear your thoughts on Easter and religious holidays and what holidays, if any, you celebrate and identify with.

And what fun memories many of you shared about your childhood Easter baskets.   To everyone who’s celebrating Easter or Passover, I hope your holidays are happy and fun-filled!

1. Have you been running around in Turbo Mode at all lately?   If so, what have you been turbo’ing through?

I like to take time to smell the roses.  Or the hibiscus flowers. This week just hasn’t been that kind of week.   Oh well, soon enough I’ll be on a little vacation but up until then, duty calls.

2. Fill in the Blanks…

The best thing that happened to me today is _____

The chore I am putting off is_____

My favorite dessert of all time is_____

My answers:

I got 5 hours of sleep.  But not all strung together.  Better than 4 though.

Changing the sheets on my bed.

No Bake Nutter Butter Special K Bars with Chocolate Frosting

Not sure they are my favorite of all time, but peanut butter, peanut butter cookies, brown sugar, vanilla, topped with chocolate makes me incredibly happy.  This week at least.

Enjoy your almost Friday!

68 Responses to “Turbo Mode”

Jess — April 21, 2011 at 1:52 pm

You are a CRAZY woman, in a great way :) You do so much–make sure & take SOME time for you and you only :)

Kristina @ spabettie — April 21, 2011 at 1:53 pm

I am TOTALLY on turbo today – and LOVE it!! :) most days I have energy, but the ones where it’s ZOOM I try to take advantage! :)

The best thing that happened to me today is – I made a connection at the gym this morning – a girl and I talked while running and she is thinking about gluten free… we are going to start running together outdoors (when it’s not raining!) :) and I’m going to help her with GF meal planning! :D

The chore I am putting off is – OMG cleaning the bathroom. today it WILL get done. UGH.

My favorite dessert of all time is – cheesecake? yes, I think so. right now I have such a bad craving for gummi bears…

• Kristina @ spabettie replied: — April 21st, 2011 at 1:55 pm

…and my Grandpa Z always told me to Stop and Smell the Roses… <3 I do, a lot…

Holly @ The Runny Egg — April 21, 2011 at 1:55 pm

The best thing that happened to me today is getting an email from a friend I haven’t heard from in weeks.

The chore I am putting off is taking a few loads of junk to Goodwill.

My favorite dessert of all time is banana cream pie!

I haven’t been in turbo mode lately, usually that doesn’t happen until the weekends when I try to get a million things done. I want to get to the grocery store today since I’m sure Fri and Sat will be super busy with the Easter shoppers.

Kate (What Kate is Cooking) — April 21, 2011 at 1:56 pm

The best thing that happened to me today is taking the day off from working out, so I had more time to go grocery shopping and I found a new favorite yogurt :) It’s the little things in life…

cathy/kiki — April 21, 2011 at 2:03 pm

wow, that is a great list of errands ACCOMPLISHED!! glad you MADE time for the tan…yup, i go to tan, too…but haven’t made it there this week, boo hoo.
    this week has been busier than normal (more work!), and like you, i cut out some sleep. i always think back to your classic quote, which i love: “i’ll sleep when i’m dead.” :)
    off to do errands myself, now.
    best thing that happened to me today was my whole day! just a good one, today!
    the chore i am putting off is spring cleaning.
    best dessert of all time is apple crisp.
    hope that vacation is coming SOON!!!!

Ela — April 21, 2011 at 2:16 pm

Yes, it’s spring, the sap is rising, it’s light all the time and it’s manic mode! Incredible that you get two posts up per day! I manage one every two days and that’s about as much as works.

Glad that you’re still enjoying fresh, delicious, beautiful food whilst whirling around like a dervish.

I have so many chores, and we’re turning our tiny side room into a kitchen, which is a whole brainexercise and upheaval.

Glad you’re taking a vacation!
    love
    Ela

Stefanie @TheNewHealthy — April 21, 2011 at 2:22 pm

I have definitely been running around in turbo mode lately! It’s the last 2 weeks of my final semester of undergrad – so between that, being a Mom, taking care of a home, and finding time to workout/eat healthy – I’ve been turboing right along with ya! :)

carin — April 21, 2011 at 2:23 pm

have you ever tried nayonaise? i like vegenaise, but was just wondering. it’s funny, even when i ate dairy, i HATED mayo. also disliked cream cheese, cheese, and really most dairy other than ice cream or what was cooked into a recipe.

i’m glad you go to 2 grocery stores too. i make a weekly trip to TJs and then go to the one 5 minutes from my house multiple times a week.

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — April 21st, 2011 at 5:46 pm

nayonaise is no where near as good as vegenaise, IMO.

I prefer vegenasise to Hellman’s, or any other real mayo. I just dig it :)

The TJ’s and groc store share a parking lot so it makes the two store thing very easy!

Krystina (Organically Me) — April 21, 2011 at 2:30 pm

The best thing that happened to me today is my glorious afternoon run.

The chore I am putting off is doing dishes.

My favorite dessert of all time is tiramisu!

Melomeals: Vegan for $3.33 a Day — April 21, 2011 at 2:39 pm

I have been in huge TURBO mode the last several weeks! Tons of food photography and articles for the magazine which is awesome! I love being busy like this.

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — April 21, 2011 at 2:43 pm

I have DEFINITELY been in turbo-mode lately– I’m hoping my long weekend at home will reverse that! :-)

Rachel — April 21, 2011 at 2:54 pm

I am going to be optomistic and say that the best thing to happen to me today WILL be the doughboy smoothie I am having for dinner compliments of KERF. It’s in the fridge right now soaking.

What chore am I NOT putting off? This place is a disaster..

My favorite dessert of all time is chocolate lava cake. But at the moment it’s dairy queen blizzards :) Always chocolate ice cream, always oreo cookie and cookie dough. Sadly, always a small since I’m pretty sure I would eat a large in one sitting!

Lauren (Diary of a Vegan Girl) — April 21, 2011 at 3:06 pm

You are amazing Averie. You inspire me :)

i have been really busy too. I loathe the end of semesters!

bitt — April 21, 2011 at 3:22 pm

Yes this week has been busy, not turbo but busy for my usual pace. How exciting you are going away again. Good for you!

Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope — April 21, 2011 at 4:06 pm

I have been in Turbo Mode like CRAZY this past week! School is definitely catching up with me with the end of the semester approaching and it’s been stressful, but I’m hanging in there. Like you, busy is the norm for me!

1) Getting an Easter package from my mom in the mail with PINK shorts and sleep shirt
    2) Cleaning my bathroom – least favorite chore!
    3) Lemon meringue pie… SO good!

Kim — April 21, 2011 at 4:10 pm

Phew! I get tired just reading how busy you were!! :D

The best thing that happened to me today is I found out I am PREGNANT!!!!! YAAAY!
    The chore I am putting off is vacuuming.
    My favorite dessert of all time is Tiramisu! YUM!

Looking forward to Vacation pics and adventure stories!!!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — April 21st, 2011 at 5:44 pm

CONGRATS!!!!!!! Wow!!

The things I learn about in my comment field always astound me…thank you for sharing and many blessings to you!

Brooke — April 21, 2011 at 5:25 pm

Those cookies look AMAZING!

Brooke Annessa

Katie — April 21, 2011 at 5:26 pm

Me, turbo mode? Nope not all. I’ve pretty much been in slow-motion all week.
    ;)

Katie — April 21, 2011 at 5:30 pm

The best thing that happened to me today is I made it home in under 30 minutes, despite rumors of horrendous traffic!

The chore I am putting off is vacuuming. Though there were several other chores on my list that I put off for far too long. I made myself do them yesterday… :-/

My favorite dessert of all time is frozen yogurt. Mmmm…

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} — April 21, 2011 at 6:22 pm

Yes, I have totally been in turbo mode this week. We are going to Jamaica next week and then moving right when we get back. So lots of packing going on!

The best thing that happened to me today is I watched the excitement in Meghan’s eyes as she completed her first Easter egg hunt. :-)

The chore I am putting off is meal planning.

My favorite dessert of all time is….are you kidding?! Just one? Not possible to pick just one!

mi-an — April 21, 2011 at 7:17 pm

I’m so not in turbo mode this week. especially after just getting back from a vacation!
    Wish i was going somewhere again!! like you!! how fun!!

Best thing that happened to me today: was told this morning i didn’t have to go in to work so I spent my afternoon hanging out with my brother sis in law AND niece!
    Putting off: Cleaning the bathroom
    My fave dessert of all time: this one is hard…but one that comes to mind right now is red velvet cake!

Chelsea — April 21, 2011 at 7:33 pm

The best thing that happened to me today is spending time with my boy-friend (every day we do but it’s always the best thing).
    The chore I am putting off is going to Rice Art gallery for art class haha! I have a two page paper to write on it but I definitely don’t want to haha!
    My favorite dessert of all time is anything chocolate + peanut butter =D

kate@ahealthypassion — April 21, 2011 at 7:59 pm

Sounds like you had a crazy day at least you have a vaca to look forward to! Thing I am putting off is putting sheets on my bed too haha hate it, I would seriously pay someone to do it if I could!

Marcia @Frugal Healthy Simple — April 21, 2011 at 8:06 pm

Turbo mode YES! Last week my spouse was traveling and my boss was on vacation, so I was mom, dad, and boss to 7 people at work with a HUGE piece of equipment on the fritz, ouch!

Today we’re going nuts packing for a camping trip to Joshua Tree this weekend with the neighbors. Should be fun!

Kelsey B. — April 21, 2011 at 9:08 pm

The best thing that happened to me today is going to Spin Class at the gym! I really just adore it. An hour of sweaty cardio, but it feels SO good after and leaves me in a mood so good I feel like I’m glowing.

The chore I am putting off is college homework over the break. :[

My favorite dessert of all time is frozen strawberries with Truwhip. :]

Also! I’ve been meaning to comment on your blog for ages! I’ve been a reader for quite awhile, but always felt silly leaving a comment (don’t ask me why, I’m just really shy, haha). You’re one of my all-time favorite blogs to read because you post delicious, healthy recipes and your outlook on life is awesome! Plus, I think it’s rad that we live in the same city. :] Take care!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — April 22nd, 2011 at 5:04 am

please dont be a stranger or feel silly for commenting..trust me, you’re a sweetheart from what I can tell and I’d love to hear from you more :)

and you live in S.D.?? Where?! Off to check out your blog…

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — April 22nd, 2011 at 5:05 am

the link to your blog doesnt work….

• Kelsey B. replied: — April 22nd, 2011 at 7:46 am

Awh :] I’m glad to hear that you think so & thank you; I definitely won’t be a stranger from now on!

I live in the East County portion, but spend most of my time in Hillcrest because that’s where I work :] How about you?

& phooey! I knew that might happen. I don’t blog very often (ever, really, since my camera isn’t working) so I think I had the title and url mixed up. This link should work!:

Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food — April 21, 2011 at 10:05 pm

Good luck with all of your prep for your vacation! I can’t wait to see pictures and vacation vicariously through you ;)

Ulli — April 21, 2011 at 10:34 pm

hi!!! i’ve been reading your blog since sooo long now, and now i finally made it to san diego!! i’m here till sunday and i love it, now i know why you chose to live here!! you can see some pics in my blog if you like to. have a great day!!! (ok, actually its night ;-))

krista — April 22, 2011 at 6:24 am

I don’t know how single moms or moms with traveling husbands do it! I have 2 friends, one in each of those categories, and they are SO busy. Kudos to you! I guess that’s where the only 5 hours of sleep comes in, ha. Does Skylar go with you to work when Scott’s traveling, or do you have childcare?

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — April 22, 2011 at 10:13 am

Yesterday at work I was on turbo mode. I am now on holidays until May 2nd, so I cleaned my classroom, photocopied, and got things planned and ready for back-to-school day after the break.

The best thing that happened to me today is that I got to sleep in.

The chore I am putting off is cleaning house (we have to clean before we leave for our trip tomorrow so that we can come home to a clean house).

My favorite dessert of all time is my mom’s homemade chocolate chip cookies, or her cinnamon buns.

Amber K — April 22, 2011 at 10:29 am

The best thing that happened to me today is waking up and realizing that it’s Friday!

The chore I am putting off is folding and putting away the laundry. Dang, every week!

My favorite dessert of all time is…too hard to figure out! Chocolate, banana, peanut butter, some sort of creamy frosting, goo, custard. Ooh but fro-yo, soft-serve, ice cream…. Just finished breakfast and I’m already thinking about dessert!

Christine (The Raw Project) — April 22, 2011 at 10:43 pm

Wow, busy day! Leftovers are huge for me during busy weeks, I rely on them.

1. Yes, mainly at work the last few weeks, but it’s been non-stop.
    2. Going out to dinner with hubby, laundry, anything with chocolate and nut butter.

Krista — April 23, 2011 at 8:11 am

Turbo mode doesn’t even describe my week…and upcoming week! Noah’s soccer and hockey overlap this month so 7 days a week we are either at the soccer field or rink, sometimes both in the same day. Then there’s my job, the house to keep up, meals to make. I need at least *some* peace and tranquility in my day and haven’t been sleeping well withou it.

Krista — April 23, 2011 at 8:13 am

Oops! Premature submit! I wanted to finish by saying that by the end of this week things should be slowing down so I’m trying to just go day by day until it’s over. I’m certainly not the only Mom out there busting my ass. I know some bust their’s 110% more than me! The chore I’m putting off is vacuuming and the best thing to happen so far is that it’s 11am and I’m still in my pj’s. Not for long, though! ;) Fave dessert ever is Mom’s tiramisu!

Christin@purplebirdblog — April 23, 2011 at 2:08 pm

I was listening to NPR on the way home from work the other day (NPR on one end of my preset radio stations, gangta rap on the other) and they were talking about “short sleepers.” This is SO you! http://www.npr.org/2011/04/16/135450214/eight-is-too-much-for-short-sleepers

nekkutyttoe — April 23, 2011 at 4:23 pm

Oh, I WISH I could get my turbo on! There’s so much to do before summer, but I seem to be stuck in a bad case of Spring Fever, and the more I try to lift my mood, the more tired I get. I started taking Maca Powder this week, though, let’s see if that helps!

The best thing that happened to me today was saying “f*** it” to the tiredness and going out with people from work. Really made me feel better!

The chore I am putting off is delicate laundry. Hand washing is such a nuisance.

My favorite dessert of all time is creme brulee. I love dipping my spoon in a little cup of lovely, decadent, creamy custard.

Otto Balo — April 24, 2011 at 11:16 am

I’m impressed by this.

Beth — April 26, 2011 at 8:52 am

Catching up on your blog after being at the paintball field through the weekend.
    I was in turbo mode all of last week: paid job, paintball field prep, food prep, groceries, etc.

The best thing that happened to me today is: hugs from my husband & a ride to work
    The chore I’m putting off: vacuum the carpets and change the bed sheets
    My favourite dessert of all time: Raw Vegan Chocolate Coconut Snowballs – just made a batch on Sunday