Apple Glazed Vegetable & Edamame Stir Fry

Sometimes I see the most inviting looking vegetable mixes in the grocery store that just beg to be turned into a stir fry.  Recently that was the case here in Aruba.

I am so happy I fired up the stove for 15 whole minutes in order to create this complete meal.

It was delicious, cheap, and easy.  The best kind of meals.

[print_this]

Apple Glazed Vegetable & Edamame Stir Fry

4 c diced vegetables (squash, sweet potatoes, carrots, bell peppers, celery, onions are what I used.  Or try turnips, parsnips, any type of potato, broccoli, boy choy, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, peapods, or any veggie you have on hand)

1/2 c applesauce (or puree an apple, skin and all, in your Vita or food processor)

1/2 c water

1 tsp ground ginger

1/2 tsp Old Bay Seasoning (or Mrs. Dash or similar)

3 tbsp rice wine vinegar (or apple cider vinegar)

1/4 c brown sugar (or white, or reduce/omit as desired)

optional: 2 tbsp soy sauce or hoisin sauce

optional: season to your taste preference with garlic, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper and others as desired

1/2 c edamame beans, previously cooked

Directions: Spray non-stick skillet with cooking spray and add the vegetables.  Cook, covered on high heat, for about 5 minutes.  While they are cooking, combine all remaining ingredients (except edamame) in a bowl and stir.  Add mixture to the vegetables and stir to coat.  Reduce to medium-low or low heat and allow vegetables to simmer for another 5-10 minutes or until tender.  Sauce will reduce and thicken.  Add in edamame, stir, and serve.

[/print_this]

Love the diced veggies.  Saves me time on vacation.

At least I’m cooking. I don’t need to chop and dice veggies, too.

Sautee veggies first, then add the sauce, simmer and reduce.

And serve.

Skylar is a great little vegetable eater.

Scott isn’t, as much.

But veggies and meals made with a tangy yet sweet sauce and apple flavor infused right in?  He was all over them.

He even asked for seconds.

If you have someone who would “miss the meat” in your house, add more edamame, add beans, or add tofu such as:

Sesame Ginger Maple Tofu
Mango Ginger Maple Tofu
Sweet & Sour Honey Lemon Tofu
No idea how to prepare tofu and get yourself, or your family, to love it?
See this post, Tofu Preparation & Cooking Tips

We don’t miss the meat and in fact, I paired it with a fresh salad.  Cooked and raw veggies all in one meal.

The apple sauce glazed the entire meal in a happy bath. It was sweet yet tangy, with just the right amount of spice, and although present, the apple flavoring was not overpowering.  It just added another flavor layer and depth to the dish.

Let’s face it, sauces make the meal.  Especially when it’s “just” plants and vegetables as the meal.

And a great meal it was!  No shortage of Eating the Rainbow in our house with these kind of meals.

From my last post about Spam, thanks for your tips.  Spam sucks, period.

And also the other, ahem, topic and question I brought up, #2 at the bottom.  Many of you have been there and experienced that.  So sorry!

Need something sweet after all those healthy veggies?  I thought so.  Me too.

No Bake Toffee & Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Bites

If you like Heath Bars these bites are for you.

1. Do you like stir-frys?  What kinds of veggies do you use and what kinds of sauces do you make or like?

As I said in the post, I think that the sauces make the dish.  All food for me is better with sauce, dips, or great condiments.  I like a little food with my bowl of dip, usually.

But with plant based meals, nothing says “Babe, I don’t like this” or “Mom, I’m not hungry” faster than bland or boring, which is why creative, flavorful sauces are mandatory.

Sauce matters!

Here are a few other stir fry recipes of mine:

Vegan Stir Fry with Rice
Caribbean Citrus & Veggie Stir Fry

2. Best thing you ate or did over the weekend?

I went to the beach in Aruba and hung out with Skylar.

Rough life, I know.

P.S. If you’re just catching up on posts over the weekend, here are mine since Friday:

54 Responses to “Apple Glazed Vegetable & Edamame Stir Fry”

VeggieGirl — May 22, 2011 at 7:14 am

Oooh, delicious stir-fry recipe!

Skylar’s shirt features my favorite Disney character – Tinkerbell! Awesome :D

Jeanette — May 22, 2011 at 7:52 am

Averie,
    I love the glaze on these vegetables – would never think to use applesauce – great idea!

Amber K — May 22, 2011 at 7:52 am

I haven’t had stir fry in years because I can’t seem to find a good sauce. I absolutely agree that the sauce makes the meal. If there isn’t a good sauce, the meal is just plain boring!

crustabakes — May 22, 2011 at 7:59 am

Wow, the colours of those stir fries are so vibrant and pretty! and of course, we definitely need those cookie dough truffles for dessert!

Stefanie — May 22, 2011 at 8:19 am

Those glazed veggies look so good. I’m going to make them for my family when I visit them next week. My favorite sauce for stir-fries would be coconut aminos. It is similar to soy sauce but I like it better.

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — May 22nd, 2011 at 8:48 am

I know what coconut aminos are…very tasty yes! Lmk if you end up making this recipe and what the family says.

Christine (The Raw Project) — May 22, 2011 at 8:23 am

The stir fry looks wonderful, awesome job! Love the colors, very summer and tropical.

1. Yes, I love throwing fast and simple stir fries together on busy week nights.
    2. Tie between the cracker recipe or chia seed pudding recipe I created, finally got time to play in the kitchen. :-)

Jaclyn — May 22, 2011 at 9:26 am

Hey Averie! I haven’t checked your blog in a while but just today I saw it pop up and I was like “I wonder what Averie’s doing/cooking/etc” and I have to say that stir fry looks delicious! Are you back in Aruba?? I didn’t realize! HOpe you are having a fantastic time! I am on my way home from FitBloggin this weekend – it was great – lots of new friends, good talks, walks, going out, food, exploring….overall a very good weekend :D

Sunday Baker — May 22, 2011 at 10:19 am

That looks great. My husband went years and years without touching a fresh veggie-no kidding. 3 months ago we started a very healthy lifestyle and now stir-fries and grilled veggies are a staple. I love new ideas like this one. Wish I was on vacation too!

Nicole @ Fresh & Fit — May 22, 2011 at 11:08 am

I want to try that stir fry right now! I love trying new glazes and sauces on stir fries, it can give the dish a totally new flavor!

Ragnhild — May 22, 2011 at 11:22 am

I LOVE stir-fries! And this looks really delicious! My favorits in stir-fries are actually onion (I cook these till soft and caramelized) and broccoli!

cathy — May 22, 2011 at 12:07 pm

so, of most interest to me in this post, averie, was scrutinizing the veg package to see which supermarket you went to! :) and that one is my favourite because i like weighing my fruit and veg on those fun scales and getting the price stickers – totally unique experience for me!!
    i do love stirfry as long as it’s not too oily…and mushrooms MUST be included
    have a super sunday aft!

Ela — May 22, 2011 at 12:31 pm

So interesting: I totally agree with you that ‘sauce makes the dish’ (and love the apple idea) but Phil doesn’t like sauce at all! He wants things to be crispy and crunchy. So when I stir fry for him, the sauce is really just enough soy sauce to coat.

Love that Scott asked for seconds! And veggies with salad is one of my favorite meals. Beans and tofu is a great suggestion for many meat-missers–neither of us does well with tofu here, and Phil’s not a fan of beans either. But he’s never going to go veggie, so I’m just glad that occasionally he’ll eat beans when I fix them!
    We’ve got so much green coming up now–it’s exciting to me. Eating my nettles…

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — May 22nd, 2011 at 1:51 pm

he’s not a fan of sauce? oh the horrors! :) Scott’s not really either, but by virtue of living w/ me, i.e. sauce-centric cooking..haha, he’s come around!

katie @ KatieDid — May 22, 2011 at 12:45 pm

yes stir fries are a huge staple in my deit because they are so quick and you can use literally anything you have on hand. I love adding dijon mustard to tons of veggies and protein and topping with a sunnyside egg, its delicious!

Hayley — May 22, 2011 at 1:42 pm

I love how easy and good this looks! I’m going to make it this week. I’ve been looking for something to cook that is fast and “dummy proof” because I haven’t been having luck in the kitchen lately. This looks delicious and impossible to screw up.
    Quick question…I am cooking for 7 women and also one man with a hearty appetite (8 people total). If I double the recipe, do you think that would be enough? I will also give them rice or something on the side…

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — May 22nd, 2011 at 1:52 pm

You could double the recipe, yes, serve w/ rice. And probably bump up the amt of edamame and/or add a can of chickpeas or other beans you have on hand. Or add some tofu. And if there are appetizers, desserts, etc..no one is going to go hungry.

Lmk how it turns out for you!

The General Contractor — May 22, 2011 at 2:06 pm

This post has left me thinking, DUH! I used to love adding apple, sauce, vinegar, cider, etc. to pork, sweet potato, & squash dishes. I haven’t done that in so long because I no longer eat pork. Who needs pork!?!? I can do the apple without it! Thanks Averie!
    I’m jealous that your daughter (who is absolutley beautiful, by the way) eats so many veggies. My son, who is the same age, can’t get past corn, which technically isn’t a vegetable. But I keep trying and setting an example, and hoping :) .

kate — May 22, 2011 at 2:47 pm

I loveee stir frys its such a great way to use up veggies in your fridge, I love glazes and this dish looks delish ill have to keep it in mind!

Colleen — May 22, 2011 at 2:48 pm

Just found your blog! I make stir fry for dinner about once a week and love the easy leftovers. It’s so easy to just stir fry a few more veggies and make it last several days. Good call on the sauce–I used to just use soy sauce and ginger, but a good sauce really kicks it up a notch. Can’t wait to try some of yours. :)

Jess — May 22, 2011 at 4:18 pm

Mmm, apple glaze sounds lovely!!
    Stir fries are the best dinners :D

Holly @ The Runny Egg — May 22, 2011 at 5:12 pm

I love stir-fry and the apple glaze sounds delicious!

Best thing about the weekend — the wedding/reception yesterday was fabulous. We had an amazing time!

emma — May 22, 2011 at 5:39 pm

Haven’t dropped by in a while but……woah Averie! Your photography is really coming on! Your piccies are great!

Char — May 22, 2011 at 5:45 pm

I made a veggie stir fry with the hubby the other night and we just used coconut oil and tamari…it was soooo good! Yours looks amazing…please send a sample? lol

Marilyn — May 22, 2011 at 6:21 pm

Best stir fry ever! I made it tonight with red potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, Brussels sprouts, and chard (added at the end, in place of edamame, which I didn’t have on hand). Thanks for adding yet another great recipe to my arsenal.

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine — May 22, 2011 at 6:24 pm

Stir fries used to be somewhat of a staple for me, and then I just kind of stopped eating them! No idea why. One of those food phases I get in and out of. They are easy, but I think I always prefer my veggies in roasted form…plus, there’s a “set it and forget it” aspect to oven-cooked vegetables that I just love, whereas stovetop requires more vigilant watching!

Best thing I did this weekend = Fitbloggin’. I got your email and will respond tomorrow, but yes, it was amazing, and very different from FoodBuzz!!

Brandon @ Kitchen Konfidence — May 22, 2011 at 6:25 pm

Prepacked cut vegetables are such a timesaver during the week! In addition to stir frys, I also like to use them in a dinner hash. Roast vegetables with quartered potatoes and top with a fried egg. Yum :) Thanks for sharing Averie!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — May 22nd, 2011 at 6:42 pm

Brandon, thanks for saying hi! I was going to email you and ask you how your West Elm demo went…it was the day we were leaving for Aruba but would have gone otherwise!

• Brandon @ Kitchen Konfidence replied: — May 22nd, 2011 at 7:15 pm

You’re welcome! The demo went really, really well. I had someone video tape the entire evening. Should be getting the footage soon. I hope it looks good! Will share soon. We are planning another demo for the Fall. I will keep you posted as soon as we land on a date. Would love to have you there!

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit — May 22, 2011 at 7:07 pm

I love cheap meals! Those are the best kind. Kevin isn’t a veggie eater either. BUT he isn’t a nut butter eater and I got him to eat some today! Prrooogrreeesss!!

Gena — May 23, 2011 at 5:31 am

great recipe, and so very simple!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — May 24, 2011 at 9:50 pm

I really like stirfry and I always include:

Water chestnuts
    Baby corn
    Sprouts
    Peppers
    Mushrooms
    Garlic/Onion/Ginger

I think a sauce that is spicy, and I usually add hot chili sauce to whatever I make/buy.

Beth — May 25, 2011 at 7:54 am

Big stir-fry lover. I toss in whatever we happen to have on hand as well as some spices to give it a kick.

Best thing I did over the weekend: get lots of sun while working outside at the paintball field.

Krista — May 25, 2011 at 11:00 am

I LOVE stir fry’s! They’re the easiest, quickest way I know how to get a quality, healthy meal on the table…and I just use whatever I have on hand. I usually serve it over rice or pasta to bulk it up some.

Sara (The Veggie Eco-Life) — May 28, 2011 at 2:52 am

This looks like an awesome stir-fry! I have an awkward relationship with stir-fries, I tend to really like them or hate them. I like a sauce based on soy sauce, sweetened with some ketchup or brown sugar. Veggies? Hard too choose, most of the time I just use what’s in the fridge. But I especially like carrots and soy sprouts.

PS : Please help me choose from the cooking books listed on The Veggie Eco-Life

Kylee — March 6, 2012 at 6:58 pm

Just made this tonight, with butternut squash, sugar snap peas, baby carrots, green pepper, onion, and some substitutions on the seasoning because I didn’t have old bay, and stevia instead of brown sugar and OMG

SO DELICIOUS

one of the best stir fry recipes I have ever had. I think it’s the sauce ;)

THANK YOU!!!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — March 6th, 2012 at 9:02 pm

Ohhhh thanks so much for the field report and glad you loved it. One of the best stir fries ever? Ok, that’s high praise. Thank you!! I will always remember making this recipe. It was with my family, in Aruba, and I wanted to make a hot dinner that didn’t take too long and wasn’t too…hot! :)

National Care Planning Council — May 1, 2014 at 11:43 am

Shared this recipe on our blog about super foods, thank you so much: http://longtermcarelink.wordpress.com/2014/04/29/super-foods/