Career Fantasy & Doing What You Want

Caitlin recently asked these questions on her blog:

“What’s your career fantasy?  Are you going to make it happen?”

Hmm.

Good questions.

This was my reply in her comments:

career fantasy. omg that is SUCH a big question. No, I am not doing it fully, but I kind of am in other ways, too, I guess? I dont know. I am off to ponder this for awhile. I love food, photography, writing, motherhood…and am doing all of those things, but there are other pieces missing and other pieces present that I’d like to change…add things/remove others.

Need to think about this…. :)

Then I went to photographer Penny De Los Santos’ blog and read her post and watched this video (the best way I’ve spent 10 minutes in ages.  Normally I am not one for videos online because I am a skimmer and a speed reader but it’s well worth the ten minutes.)

The take away message from her post is this (in her words in case you’re not a video person):

So, I say to all of you:  What If you are good enough?

Whatever it is you want to do, you can do it.  Whatever it is you want to be, you can be it.  So go do it.  That is your final assignment.

Deep thoughts.

Being in Aruba has given me the mental space to think, the emotional room to breathe, combined with the freedom to do some soul searching.

Gazing at the ocean, thinking, wondering, pondering.  Letting some of life’s big answers come to me.

I definitely don’t have it all figured out.  And in some respects I may have less figured out now that I did before I arrived, but I know this:

1. I am meant to take pictures and photography will have something to do with my future.

2. I am meant to work with food. Cooking, creating, recipe development, making things in the kitchen will have something to do with my future.

No Bake White Chocolate & Mango Cookie Dough Bites

Who else’s mind would take raw vegan cookie dough and then add melted white chocolate to it and then add dried mango to it?  My mind of course!

And I promise, they’re amazing.  And I will always love to come up with recipes like this and play and create in the kitchen.

The workshop I recently attended, Real Food Styling & Photography, opened some mental doors to a world I really didn’t even know existed.  Or that I’d want a part of.  Very parallel to blogging before I found this world!

The portobello burger I created, food styled, and photographed that day.

The workshop lit a fire under me to explore new options.  Even if I don’t wind up doing certain things, I have to at least explore the potential. For me, life is all about trying things, exploring, taking some risks.

Like taking risks creating and styling pasta for the camera!  That was tricky!

3. I am meant to write.  Maybe not write a book, but who knows?  I love my blog, I love to write, I love to share.

Writing, challenging myself through writing, sharing, putting pencil to paper, or fingers to keyboard, and just letting the words flow is important for me.

Taking ideas, constructs, unorganized concepts, food, ingredients, parenthood stories, fitness information, whatever it is, but writing about it is something I love to do.  Didn’t know this until I started my blog.

4. Yoga and an overall commitment to health, fitness, a healthy lifestyle is part of the puzzle, too.  I need to be active, I need to have yoga in my life, I need to feel that balance.

5. Being Skylar’s mother comes first, above all else, but as they say you have to put your own oxygen mask on before you assist your child.

I believe it’s possible to balance motherhood and career goals and aspirations.  Not always easy, but possible.  Tread lightly, balance, juggle, where there’s a will, there’s a way type approach to it.

Lots to think about, and thanks for your comments on my last post, Monday Funday.  There are definitely some watermelon fans in the house, huh!

1. What’s your career fantasy?

After all that, I still don’t even know what it is exactly.

But I have some of the aspects defined (photography, food, writing, yoga/fitness, interwoven with motherhood).

(For new readers, I work fulltime out of the house, and I am the breadwinner for our family, but for privacy reasons I don’t discuss my work.)

One day I think my fantasy is just going to “come to me” and manifest itself!  Til then, the soul searching and pondering will continue.

2. Are you doing what you want?

If so, how did you make this happen? (do tell because others can benefit from your “success” story)

And if you’re not doing what you want, are you taking steps to ensure that you will be doing what you want?  What’s currently standing in the way?

Lots to think about and can’t wait to read the comments!

P.S. Some related posts include:

Inspiration & Greener Grass – Who inspires me and why.  And is the grass greener somewhere else?  Are you a grass is green person?

Writing Books – Maybe, maybe not.  Never say never.

And finally, keep your entries coming for the business cards give away.

70 Responses to “Career Fantasy & Doing What You Want”

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — May 24, 2011 at 7:16 am

Whew– career fantasy is such a big question. Honestly, I’m doing a version of my career fantasy right now– and I think that’s the most important thing. There are things that I would change, but ultimately, I think I’m doing exactly what I’d want to be doing even if I didn’t get paid– teaching, writing, and having the summers off to travel!! :-)

Jess T — May 24, 2011 at 7:23 am

Oh, delurking for this one.

I AM doing what I want! Ever since I was a kid I wanted to write books, and now, I write books. I went to school for a creative writing degree and my husband and I have sacrificed a lot to let me stay home full-time and write even though I’m not published and bringing in income yet. I used all the time spent writing to practice and learn my craft and was rewarded last autumn by landing representation with an agent. Hopefully this year will bring a book deal and I can say I’ve fully achieved my goal… but it’s not necessary. I’m *doing* what I love by being able to spend my days writing. The external recognition/money would just be icing.

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — May 24th, 2011 at 8:09 am

thanks for delurking and I remember your comments from about 18 mos ago…glad to hear things are on track for you!

kate — May 24, 2011 at 7:24 am

what a great post to get you thinking. I am finishing up school in the fall and still have no idea what to do with my life, blogging has opened up so many doors and introduced me to so many of my passions !

Tanya @ Sunday Baker — May 24, 2011 at 7:28 am

Very insightful post. What is my career dream? To so something that allows me to be creative in what drives me along with allowing me to be a mother and wife first…honestly career is not a drive for me, but making money doing something I love is. My main career will always be that I’m a mother and wife and a family woman. It’s where my heart is. All of the rest falls into place with that and I just know that God will show me where I should be!

cathy — May 24, 2011 at 7:28 am

great great post, averie, and sure to generate lots of discussion – i will check back later as i’m interested in other readers’ responses!
    yes – beach walking in aruba gives the BIGGEST a-ha moments. but only after i’ve been there at least a week…takes at least that long to chill and switch mindsets.
    i AM doing what i love – yup, it’s retail, it’s working in a running store. the $ is not great but it makes me happy and i anticipate going to work with a joyful heart.
    when i replied to caitlin’s question, i said i’d love to develop my knitting somehow – like haute couture, unique items for the toddler set. who knows!
    thanks for sharing your philosophy on doing what you want – so exciting all the possibilities for you with yoga, food, photography, writing…who knows!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — May 24th, 2011 at 8:10 am

good for you for doing what you want to be doing AND yes it does take a good week (or more) to decompress and get into a mental groove to be ready to think about these things!

Amber K — May 24, 2011 at 7:47 am

All of these life posts have really got me thinking, but unfortunately no new insights recently. I keep waiting for inspiration to just strike me, but I think I’m going to have to start doing something more proactive to discover my true potential.

Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope — May 24, 2011 at 7:49 am

Love this post Averie! I think I’m a lot like you in that I have a lot of passions, but it’s tough for me to put my finger on just one. I, too, love to write, but a book would probably not be my ideal life goal although I’d love for writing to be a part of my future career. I’m currently teaching yoga, but it’s not something I’d want to do forever. I’ve found a passion with nutrition (studying to be an RD), so it will most likely be something in that field where I’ll find my fantasy career, but I’m definitely happy juggling a lot of different passion right now! Sometimes even the non-job jobs (like being Skylar’s mother) can be the most rewarding!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — May 24th, 2011 at 8:12 am

glad to hear you’re studying to be an RD…we need more people like you in the field!! And yoga..yes, when you were going to go fwd with it, I knew you’d love it, but yes, it’s not a “career”..it’s a thing, a hobby, a passion, but not a career per se (for me) and I know you KWIM, now. :)

Katie — May 24, 2011 at 7:55 am

This is a great post Averie! I am so happy for you that you are discovering what you want to do with your life.

My take on careers has always been that there may not always be a single “thing” for you, but things may evolve at different times in response to different events in your life. Right now, I finished school and will be starting a new career as a college professor in the fall, which is something I have wanted to do since high school. Is it a forever career? I don’t know. I am not going into it thinking short term by any means, but I’m also not thinking long term. I am thinking about now. How I can do my best NOW.

If I love it in 20 years still, that’s awesome. If something happens in my life and my priorities change in 3, 10, 15 years? That’s life. Embrace change. That’s my motto.

I also don’t think that every hobby or passion needs to be a career. I’ve tried to do that, and it can end up making you hate your hobby. Or not. What do I know?

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — May 24th, 2011 at 8:13 am

“I also don’t think that every hobby or passion needs to be a career. I’ve tried to do that, and it can end up making you hate your hobby”– YES! Me too!

That’s why i dont teach yoga for money. I hate it. Well maybe not hate but I really dont enjoy it. I love yoga, my own practice, and helping others, but not thru the form of classical “yoga teaching”.

I dont want to “ruin” photography for myself so am treading lightly with it all, ya know.

Please come with me!!! Please?!

Mellissa — May 24, 2011 at 7:58 am

In my 7-5 life I am doing something I like and am good at but would love to let more of my creative side out. I know I am meant to do something with food and wine but I am just not sure what that is yet or if it will always be a great hobby. I am fine with either.

Tori (Fresh Fruition) — May 24, 2011 at 8:07 am

My dream is to become a graphic designer! I’m not sure exactly what I want to do within the field yet, though. Good thing I still have a few years of finishing my degree to figure it out!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — May 24th, 2011 at 8:14 am

if I had to do college over I would love to have explored graphic design, art, writing, etc…have fun figuring it all out!

• Tori (Fresh Fruition) replied: — May 24th, 2011 at 10:59 am

Thank you! I can’t wait to cram in as many classes as possible to explore everything. I want to make the most of my college experience (and the boatloads of money I’m spending on it, HAHA!)

Shira — May 24, 2011 at 8:39 am

Dream career…. My dream career has always been to work in Fashion. I have this crazy lifelong passion for it… But the reality of the job is not creative and nearly impossible to make a living at.. so I have dabbled in many other fields but nothing ever feels right to me. So I’m taking some fashion business courses, going back to work retail, and trying for a buying/merchandising career..I feel like its a cut throat industry and I am not a cut throat person, but also that I can find the right place in it for myself.
    That all being said, most of my dreams are not related to my career at all :)

Holly @ The Runny Egg — May 24, 2011 at 8:43 am

Averie I love thinking about this topic, but at the same time it frustrates me. I really thought I’d have things figured out by now, but I don’t. I’m working and I like it for now, but it is not something I see myself doing long term. I know I like to help people, I like to organize, and I know I want to have my own business. What I do with that? I have no idea. I too am waiting for things to come together and then one day I will say “aha! That’s it!” — hopefully that happens sooner than later!

Rachel @ Suburban Yogini — May 24, 2011 at 8:45 am

Honestly, right now I’m living my career fantasy. I’m working as a yoga and massage therapist, I love my work and I’m making good money. I guess the next step for me is to get my own premises (I currently sublet within a larger studio/clinic) and I’m in the process of a complete website overhaul and new business name.

There were other things I thought I’d do but they fell by the wayside I guess. Ten years ago if you told me this is what I’d be doing I’m not sure I’d believe you, but there it is. I’m definitely doing what I want right now :)

Diana (Soap & Chocolate) — May 24, 2011 at 8:52 am

I’m not quite there yet with the career goals, but I’m headed in the right direction, and I actually do have faith that the right thing will manifest itself in some way, as you say. Sometimes I think that sounds hokey, but if my previous experiences mean anything, that’s just the way it goes and I can try to force it all I want, but in the end things tend to work out the way they’re supposed to with or without my help. All I can do is keep my eyes open to spot it.

Right now my eyes are pretty busy staring at the mango-white choc bites though…

Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels — May 24, 2011 at 8:54 am

Wow I love this post. So many great things to think about! You are such an amazing photographer, I’m in awe of your gorgeous photos! And your food, oh my yum! :)
    I’m going to be pondering your questions today for sure.

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — May 24th, 2011 at 9:09 am

thanks Lindsey for the compliments…I should be complimenting you! I always see your glorious recipes and pics on TS or FG :)

lynn @ the actor's diet — May 24, 2011 at 8:56 am

since i was five years old i have wanted to be an actress, and i’m proud to say that’s what i’ve been doing professionally for the last decade. that said, i think it’s important to know that dreams and reality are quite different. it’s important to go for what you want, but also important to know that it’s called “fantasy” for a reason!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — May 24th, 2011 at 9:10 am

“dreams and reality are quite different.”–
      Oh indeed! Such a valid point; thanks for remind me (and others who read) about that little sidebar :)

And congrats to you for being a WORKING actress. Not just one who dreams about it!

Melissa @Dash of East — May 24, 2011 at 9:07 am

Averie, I loved reading this post about career fantasy. This is something that I was struggling with earlier this year and after a month or so of sitting down and figuring out what my goals are – not only career goals, but life goals as well (having a great business accountability partner really helped), I’ve come to the conclusion that my loves are: photography, food, design, travel and entrepreneurship.

So, now I’m starting to focus my target market for my business (dotdot interactive) to be food & lifestyle businesses. I am working on building the connections that will lead me towards the clients that I would love to work with.

Another realization that I came to was that I can’t do everything in my business. There are things that i am great at and things that I wasn’t great at. So, it was time to look for help and delegate those tasks to someone else, who does what I can’t do. It has saved me both time and stress, which allows me to relax or work on projects that I’ve been neglecting :)

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — May 24th, 2011 at 9:11 am

“photography, food, design, travel and entrepreneurship. ” — we are on the same wavelength!

And asking/looking for help, delegating…so important. I need to do this MORE. Not being a “hero” and trying to do it all is something I need to work on!

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman — May 24, 2011 at 9:11 am

Great post. Sometimes it takes some slowing down for us to have aha moments. I love how your photographs have evolved recently.

I’m living one of my career dreams. I’m a magazine writer and editor, which is what I wanted to do since I was little. For a long time, I dreamed of writing a novel. I did that, but now my dream is to get it published. The only thing you can do in the face of your dreams is work toward them.

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty — May 24, 2011 at 9:17 am

I’ve had the same fantasy for awhile.

I’ve run quite a few girls groups and it’s my favorite thing! We usually spend the week getting active, cooking delish healthy foods and LOTS of self esteem stuff. LOTS! I was super bullyed in school, so I know how hard it is, and to know that I have helped in the process of girls positive self esteem means the world to me. I hope I can do it more consistently one day!

With that job, I have also ran programs for girls that are bullies. It was amazing to see the realization in their eyes as we talked about the impact that bullies can have. I did a lot of really great activities with them too, so they could really feel the impact!

Right now I am finishing up school to work in Education. I will be an education assistant working with students with special needs (hopefully in middle and high school). It’s a great stepping stone for me, who knows where I’ll end up!! :)

Love to you!

Heidi @ Food Doodles — May 24, 2011 at 9:18 am

Love that video. I tuned in for part of that but I couldn’t just sit and watch. It was nice to be able to pause that video, and I did a couple times in the middle :) I still don’t know what my career fantasy is. I’ve never really known what I want to do. I do love being a stay at home mom, but I don’t see that lasting. When the kids are in school I will want to go out and do something. For now I enjoy blogging and photography, but it’s not something I do every day. I have a couple days a week where I do a lot of it and I still really enjoy it. Don’t know if I would if it was something I had to do for work :/

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — May 24th, 2011 at 12:55 pm

“I do love being a stay at home mom, but I don’t see that lasting. When the kids are in school I will want to go out and do something.”–
      yep, that was me.

and the 13-15th of may when she was doing them live was RIGHT over our travel day/24 hrs it took us to get there and the next day so i missed the whole thing but have some other things planned with her. ahem. :)

• Heidi @ Food Doodles replied: — May 24th, 2011 at 1:57 pm

Ooooh, I hope you share :D I thoroughly enjoyed all of what I did get to watch, if it’s a class you’re taking you’ll really enjoy it. She’s awesome and a lot of fun. I so wish I could meet her in person :D Even though that would be incredibly humbling, haha!

Madeline - Greens and Jeans — May 24, 2011 at 9:21 am

Truthfully, I have no idea what I want to do at the end of the day, but the most important thing is that I have found myself on the right path to finding that out! I also know that where I live and the people I surround myself with make everything better.

Lauren — May 24, 2011 at 9:43 am

I love that you are discovering yourself. I completely agree, you need to find your passions and ways to outlet them or else there really is no purpose for what we are trying to achieve in this world. I say, GO FOR IT! Put your heart into whatever you do, and you’re sure to find overall purpose and happiness. :)

Bria @ West of Persia — May 24, 2011 at 10:02 am

Great topic. My fantasy career? Like you, I’m not 100% sure. It definitely involves travel, Yoga, helping others, fitness, writing, communicating, creativity, and good eats!

But I am definitely doing something I love by teaching Yoga and fitness. I got here by pursuing my interests, even when my day job was ‘meh.’

A few years back, I was working in a field I didn’t love, but I kept up my workouts and introduced Yoga for stress relief. Important to note that I had ZERO expectations beyond a bit of relaxation. Looking back, I realize that by pursuing these interests in what little free time I had, rather than let my job consume every waking second, I developed a foundation for my next big step. In other words, I created space for it. And it turned out that I was pretty good at the Yoga! Then I did Yoga teacher training, not sure of exactly why I was doing it.

Soon enough, the blah Day Job was no more, and I was teaching Yoga FT. The rest is history. I’m now taking things up a level by hosting Yoga retreats. I’m about to host my 3rd here in my region, and hopefully next year in another country (someplace beachy). Also, I’m working at and presenting at some Yoga festivals this summer, so that’s very cool. Through my work, I often do TV appearances too, demo-ing workouts. That’s been really fun; I’d love to present more on TV.

I still have other interests: would be nice to get paid for my writing again, and I love music, food, and creative pursuits. I’m sure there’s a way to integrate it all. I’m staying open to everything and enjoying the journey. And yeah, I think ultimately I’d like to live, at least PT, in a more chill part of the country (or world). I’m working on that, too.

Can’t wait to see where your journey takes you, Averie. I think you have a good attitude towards it all and will end up doing even more of what you love.

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) — May 24, 2011 at 10:04 am

Definitely a weighty question. My thoughts on my goals are constantly evolving. I have finally found my path and I am working towards my goal. Finding the time to focus on it is hard these days, but every day I get a little more accomplished and that makes me feel like I’m moving in the right direction.

Tricia — May 24, 2011 at 10:11 am

Hi Averie!

I’ve just discovered your blog, and I wanted to say Hi! I think you’re cool. I made your chocolate chip cookie bites yesterday, and they turned out quite well. My boys loved ‘em! And, so did I.

I found you because I’ve decided to try becoming a vegetarian (again.) And, your blog seems like it will be a great resource. So, thanks!

As for your original topic here, I’m going to be 40 this year, and I still don’t know what I want to be when I grow up. I like my job, I like being a mom. I like being a wife. There’s not much I would actually change about my life.

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — May 24th, 2011 at 12:57 pm

“I’ve just discovered your blog, and I wanted to say Hi! I think you’re cool.”-
      Good. And thanks!

99% of my recipes are vegetarian and many of those are vegan. Enjoy!

Lisa @ Healthful Sense — May 24, 2011 at 10:31 am

Love reading this post. I had to read it a second time to soak in everything. There is so much I want to do but it gets difficult to find the time! Once my kids are awake in the morning I try to stop working on my blog. I am hoping that once they are all in school that I can focus more on creating recipes and taking beautiful pictures.
    BTW I love the vegan raw cookie dough recipe!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — May 24th, 2011 at 12:57 pm

reading it twice. yep. I had to re-read it about 17 times before I published it. And the thoughts that i wrote..only took me 3 decades to figure out :)

glad you like the recipe!

Jess@HealthyExposures — May 24, 2011 at 10:50 am

Beautiful post. I have been doing a lot of thinking about my future lately, too – scary, but needed. And there are so many things I want to do and be, but I am my own worst enemy, always saying “but that’s not logical!” or something like that. Ultimately, telling myself I’m not good enough. But those words are so right – what if I AM? I only can be if I try. And I will :)
    Yes…I need to do some thinking on this, too…

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — May 24th, 2011 at 12:58 pm

I got your email and totally understand, but wanted to put it out there..and glad you liked the video and you ARE amazing. Just remember that :)

Colleen — May 24, 2011 at 10:59 am

I’m living my dream career right now working for a nutrition consulting company, and it is unbelievable! I absolutely love it–checking out food and nutrition products all day long. :)

For me, a fulfilling career is essential and the energy I gain from doing what I love spreads to all parts of my life. I worked as a receptionist for a few months right after college and was so. bored. I would do absolutely nothing at work all day and come home exhausted, drained, and feeling defeated. Now, I am working 100 times more and harder, and I’m loving it!

kris (everyday oats) — May 24, 2011 at 11:20 am

I’m glad you wrote about this in your blog today. It’s something I’ve really been needing to sincerely sit down and think about. I tend to avoid it because I hate thinking about the future sometimes. So… I’m still working on figuring out my career aspirations. But at least your post got me thinking more about it today! :)

CH — May 24, 2011 at 11:31 am

This post comes at such an interesting time for me. I was literally reading an article about 20-somethings and careers on HuffPo when I opened a new tab to check up on your blog. I graduated from a Top 5 college a week ago. I don’t have a job yet, but I do know the elements that I want my career to have: creativity/writing, human rights/civil rights, law, non-profit/NGO work, social justice, education, and the arts. I know that’s a lot of things, but I truly believe that I have the willpower, knowledge base, and creative capacity to find and land a job that works with some (or all) of those areas. I am job searching now and it is not easy. I have probably applied to about 15-20 jobs in the last week or two — I had originally planned on going directly to law school, but that didn’t work out, so now I am looking for a job. I am travelling and learning French this summer, which is going to be very exciting/relaxing/intellectually stimulating. Then in the fall I will most likely move back to New York. It may well be that I will need to nanny or waitress while I continue to look for work. But I am motivated by the fact that I know, roughly, what I want — and there are truly a lot of jobs out there that would take me in the right direction. I just need to land an interview. :)

I feel like I have a really good sense about what I want/need in a job right now, and I am looking forward to hearing back from some places I have applied to and just getting that magical fit with an organization — you know, where they like you and you like them and you nail the interview and get the job. I know it will happen. I will be patient, for now.

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — May 24th, 2011 at 12:59 pm

“I had originally planned on going directly to law school, but that didn’t work out, so now I am looking for a job.”—

Ok didnt know that and sorry to hear this but it’s one of those life’s door things that actually, sounds like you’re making the most of it! :)

Christina — May 24, 2011 at 11:50 am

It’s hard to answer the question of what your life job is. I think we grow daily and perhaps what we thought was our life job once has shifted. I’m very similar in the sense that I love to write and I love photography! I guess my blog is my outlet for both but recently I’ve really been trying to focus on how to gain more skills in both (and of course recipe building!). I think exercise is definitely a key element of my sanity, it really is a harmless way to let out any frustrations and to really understand how my body works and also to learn how to make my body work by fueling it properly.

And of course Skylar is adorable!! I’ve been reading your blog for a while now (maybe even a year!) and she’s definitely at the “girl” look and not the baby look anymore. I love how you’re able to capture those moments with your photography also :)

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — May 24th, 2011 at 1:01 pm

thanks for reading for a year and for saying hi today, Christina and for the lovely compliments on my pics and on skylar :)

Ellie@fitforthesoul — May 24, 2011 at 11:51 am

Averie, I like what you said here! “Even though there is ultimate sacrifice in motherhood and makes life become much more of a balancing act, I would not let my own dreams, goals, and aspirations fall by the wayside completely by the way because I am also a mother.”

It’s a profound thought, because although we’re created to love to the fullest and take care of our children with sacrificial hearts, we shouldn’t give up the dreams that God’s put on our hearts! If there’s something we know we need to do, then we should. First our children/family, and all while keeping healthy boundaries and our own identities. sounds hard, but it’s possible! :D

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — May 24th, 2011 at 1:06 pm

too often women let their entire world just go…for the “sake of their family” but if you do that, you will likely become miserable and depressed and be no good to your family anyway…so you HAVE to take care of yourself, too. And as some would say, you have to have that self care, FIRST and foremost to truly be at the top of your game for your family, whatever that self-care involves for that woman.

Naomi — May 24, 2011 at 11:53 am

wow what a great post averie and you are so talented in so many different area’s its inspiring! I love your passion for being a mother, I cannot wait until I have kids of my own because I know they will be the light in my life. First and foremost is motherhood and I know that I will think the same thing :) Of course I love what I do, helping, inspiring, motivating others when it comes to health and fitness. This si something I want to continue until i can no longer walk!

thinking about the future is so scary, but I just know as long as I am doing what I love, I will be happy

McIntosh — May 24, 2011 at 12:37 pm

All my so-called jobs have never felt like work which is why I could actually do them.

I spent 20 years as an amateur and then professional ballet dancer and never considered it to be work though I got paid (a blessing!). Until my last year when suddenly it became a chore and cumbersome. That was my sign to “retire” from that career.

I dabbled in multiple other jobs which lasted usually about 3 mths. Now I dog and pet sit and it rarely feels like work.

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} — May 24, 2011 at 1:28 pm

My dream career is to be a published author and has been since I had my first story published at age 5. Okay, I use the term “published” loosely here. I self-published. :-)

I am doing what I want to be….right now. I appreciate this stage of my life (staying home with my daughter) but know that I am meant to do more at some point. Right now, though, I am doing exactly what I should be. My blog is my outlet that allows me a creative outlet and time to do my own thing outside of motherhood, which I think is important.

Great post, Averie! Really got me thinking.

susan — May 24, 2011 at 1:51 pm

Great post Averie, love hearing your thoughts on life and your wonderful insight and ideas. I think for me my love life and social life are really good at the moment. Finally have met a great guy and it’s all going well. Have wonderful friends but where I’m lacking is work. It sucks at the moment, long stressful hours and so much politics at work. I enjoy working with my clients and don’t find their challenging behaviours difficult to deal with, it’s management and being tied down in work is what I find tricky. My dream job would be to be a mother to two children and foster children as well. I’d like to explore the area of healthy living and wellness a bit more as well. I definitely feel I was destined to be a mother and to foster children.

mi-an — May 24, 2011 at 2:32 pm

This is a good topic! hmmm…well, for me here’s my career fantasy (#1 being the most important)
    1. Medicine — i cannot wait to start practicing medicine!! ultimately working globally (mixing my love for travel here) and with a big organization like the World Health Organization.
    1. Be a mom — i don’t have kids yet but i know i want to be the best I can be for my kids!
    2. Cooking — i love to cook! so i definitely want to incorporate healthy recipes into my patients’ prescriptions.
    3. Yoga and Fitness — maybe be a part-time yoga teacher as well (in my Wellness Center which is next to my Family Practice Clinic).
    4. If ever I have enough money –> my own facial care line, and fitness clothing line.
    5. If ever again I even have more money –> buy a Whole foods franchise.
    Whewww… ok i know i get too ambitious but better to dream big than not! :)

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — May 24th, 2011 at 3:31 pm

btw i had no idea WF’s were franchised? if so, i want in!!!!
      pretty sure they are corporate now (like starbucks used to be franchised but they stopped that…boo!) can you imagine the money to be made?! :)

Liz — May 24, 2011 at 2:57 pm

I just stumbled upon your blog and more specifically, this blog entry! First and foremost I love your blog! The question of a career fantasy is one I struggle with and actually why I recently started blogging (and practicing yoga), in hopes of a clearer idea of where my life and career should go. I love your idea of lifelong education and I have to agree because life is fluid and continual. Thanks for your blog and more importantly, your insight!

Rachel — May 24, 2011 at 3:31 pm

I am starting to do what I think I love!! I’ve been in finance for years and I always wanted to teach. June 13th I am starting teaching math and taking courses to get my Master’s Degree in teaching to compliment my finance degree! I am so excited, and it is weird that I think my “dream job” is so simple, makes a lot less money than my current finance job, but I think will be so much more fulfilling to me!

I loved your post, all your thoughts and questions! Great job on this post, Averie!

McKella — May 24, 2011 at 3:53 pm

Career fantasy is the #1 topic on my mind these days. I want to make a living from my writing and my art, and I want to help other people be their best selves and live their best lives. I currently work a full-time job, but I want my creativity to be my career. Right now money is the obstacle (isn’t it always?) I’m still paying on a student loan, putting my husband through school and keeping food on the table and the roof over our heads. I’ve always known what I wanted to do, and I have no doubt whatsoever that I’ll do it. I feel like I’m getting closer though.

Pure2raw twins — May 24, 2011 at 4:38 pm

Averie- tough question. There are moments when I think I am doing what I should be doing. But always a part of me wonders what else could I be doing. I am with you, I love being around food, writing (blogging) and photography….so we will find the answer together!

Christine (The Raw Project) — May 24, 2011 at 7:01 pm

Awesome post and great pics.

1. That changes, but is always something in the creative arts – cooking, art, graphics.
    2. In hobbies, but not so much my day job. I think I’m taking more steps to get there, but it’s tough juggling a full time job. I love blogging and creating new recipes, but it can be tiring after a long day at work.

Ela — May 24, 2011 at 10:08 pm

Great post! I’m so glad for you that you went to Aruba at this time and are using the time so productively–to think and also to not-think, just to let the inspiration come.

I’m always saying I’m not a visual person, but I’m always truly wowed by your photos too, and I think it’s wonderful that you’re exploring that more.

For me, a big part of the question is what should be ‘my job’ and what should be ‘my hobby.’ Eg I love making food for people and have sometimes done it for money, but not sure that I want to make a business of it.
    On the other hand, I’m really good at editing, translating and helping other people with their writing, and it’s work that I enjoy, so I feel grateful that I can earn a little money doing something that comes naturally.
    I would love to get to a point where I consistently carve out significant time for my own writing, though–like you and many others, writing and food-making are my two big passions. I want to get my poetry out there more. And the other thing that’s really important to me is that I want to help, touch and inspire others. Sometimes I feel like I need to know all the answers in order to do that, but it really isn’t true!
    love
    Ela

Christina — May 25, 2011 at 12:46 am

Delurking here- This is a topic close my my heart right now, I worked in a typicall office for 10 years, started when I was 17, never even took a vacation other than mandated holidays….
    I hated sitting behind a desk all day knowing the world was passing me by outside, I wasnt happy there, the people there were super negative, it started to affect all aspects of my life, I had a tragic event happen to me which made me really put things in to perspective.
    Im a health food/fitness nut, so I went back to college, got my group fitness certification, got my Personal training Certification, I enrolled in a nutrion program and I qut my office job without anything lined up… scary
    I was “unemployed” for 2 weeks, i got a job as a floor trainer at a hotel here and i was teaching 2 group fitness classes, I made friends that had my same intrest and even met a guy! my first bf in 5 years- not sure if its going to work out or not but thats another story :)
    This week I started taking on PT clients…

living the dream is possible……

Beth — May 25, 2011 at 8:03 am

My career fantasy would involve: working from home, animals, and being outside. My current desk job is not cutting it fantasy wise, but it sure does pay the bills ;)