Contributing & Superstitious

Happy Friday the 13th.  Not really a day I would have chosen to travel, but c’est la vie.

Recently I was asked to become a regular contributor on Marcus Samuelsson’s site.  The irony of me, contributing on a  chef, restaurant owner, and cookbook author’s site, is remarkable.  I truly couldn’t boil water until my mid 20s.  Look at me now.

Yesterday my first post went up.

It’s my No Bake Oatmeal Raisin Carrot Cake Bites recipe

I plan to create and contribute some new and original recipes for Marcus’ site and am really excited to be a contributor, and I’ll let you know when I have new posts up over there.

In the meantime, check out my post and drop a comment in if you like what you see.

I am getting ready to leave for Aruba on a red eye tonight.  Life has been beyond hectic yesterday and today.

Good thing I am mostly packed.

And yes to all of you who commented about me bringing chocolate.  Glad that gave you a laugh.  I think TJ’s chocolate chips are really awesome, so may as well bring a few bags with!

And snacked.

Biggie Microwave Banana Oat Cakes (Vegan, GF, 3 minutes to make)

And have a plan of attack:

Don’t stress.  Roll with the punches.  Things never go according to plan when traveling, so just accept it and smile at whatever the Universe wants to throw at me.  Or if TSA wants to bodyscan me or pat me down, just smile.  Right, Jenn?

With that little self-imposed pep talk, I’ll be in good shape for the 22 hour journey getting there.  Basically, follow my own top 20 travel tips and advice.

I also got a great run in outside and a 20 minute at home yoga session which does wonders for the mind, body, and stress levels soul before a trip.

It’s sunny and so pretty here right now.  About 70F but there is still a coolness and crispness in the air.  No coolness and crispness where I’m headed!

From my last post about Suitcases & Packing it was fun to read about what your must have travel items are and if your suitcases is one big hodgepodge and how neat, or messy, it becomes by the time you actually zip it.

I loved reading about who actually does the packing in your house and how far in advance you start.

1. Plans for the weekend?

Mine include a very long journey through many airports, thousands of miles (about 5000 I think) and doing it with a 4 year old in tow, but it will all be worth it once we get there!

2. Are you superstitious?

I’m not really superstitious. Definitely not about Friday the 13th or knocking on wood or stepping on cracks.  I am psychic, but not really superstitious. But now that I write that, I better knock on some wood.

3. What’s the last thing you packed, snacked (on), or plan of attacked?

The last thing I  snacked on were a couple No Bake White Chocolate & Mango Cookie Dough Bites.  And they were great.

Have a great weekend, gang!  And I assume there’s going to be Wi-Fi in the airports and on the planes, so I’ll see you soon.

My next post is a very special one.  It has nothing to do with Aruba.

30 Responses to “Contributing & Superstitious”

Erica — May 13, 2011 at 1:39 pm

Congrats on the new guest spot! That is awesome. heading over there to show you some love :). Have a blast on your trip! So awesome! And I love packing food- very necessary. Plans for the weekend? Frozen yogurt tonight, Step, hair apt, party tomorrow & brunch with friends sunday. SO excited

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — May 13th, 2011 at 1:44 pm

Awww, thanks girlie! And I am having such bad luck w/ getting into your site. Not sure if it’s my computer but I am reading! Have a stellar weekend!! xoxo

Holly @ The Runny Egg — May 13, 2011 at 1:48 pm

So cool that you are a contributor for his site! He won Top Chef Masters last year :)

Plans for the weekend — hopefully start my veggie garden in pots on my deck, run 19 miles, help Jason’s mom hem her bridesmaid dress for next weekend, some blog stuff (hopefully!), relax, read, sleep, eat!

You are going to have a wonderful trip — I can’t wait to see the beautiful pictures!

Katie — May 13, 2011 at 1:55 pm

I’m heading over to check out your post, but congrats!!! That’s so awesome!

My plans are to graduate and then relax, drink, and HAVE FUN!!

Emily @ One Sweet Vegan — May 13, 2011 at 3:06 pm

I’ve never been able to find the chocolate chips at TJ’s. I can’t figure out their store layout to save my life.
    Have a wonderful time in Aruba! :-)

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — May 13th, 2011 at 3:17 pm

in the baking section by where they keep cocoa powder, sugar, vanilla extract. they have a pretty small baking section actually. easy to find within it!

Ragnhild — May 13, 2011 at 3:14 pm

Wow, that is so awesome Averie!! Congrats :D And those Raisin Carrot Cake Bits looks soo good! And of couse, so does your mango and white chocolate balls. I will make these as soon as I can get my hands on some vegan white chocolate.
    The last thing I snacked on, was some really good chocolate fudges and a cup of green tea. These fudges are the best Ive ever tasted, and I will share the recipe tomorrow!
    I wish you a safe trip!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — May 13th, 2011 at 3:18 pm

I know you can order vegan white choc
      or you can make it with coconut butter and vanilla extract. you can google it but i know hannah kaminsky who wrote one sweet vegan or my sweet vegan? has a recipe for it that’s probably on the internet somewhere. :)

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty — May 13, 2011 at 3:29 pm

Have a great trip!!! I can’t wait to see all the photos!!! :)

Ela — May 13, 2011 at 3:29 pm

Congratulations on the contributing author thing! That is so awesome–I hope that it brings you many more special connections and much joy and fruitfulness.

Agree that some good exercise is great preparation for a long trip. Too much exercise at the very end of a long one, not so much (I’m just sharing a story about how Phil had us transplanting a very big and extremely heavy tree right at the end of our trip–crazy).

That was probably the worst unpacking story. Trying to ‘plan-of-attack’ being back home now, getting back to work, etc.
    Have a great trip.
    love
    Ela

Emma (Namaste Everyday) — May 13, 2011 at 3:37 pm

i secretly love packing because I love to organize! I can’t really travel without magazines – but then I rarely read them! lol

Sherri Ogg — May 13, 2011 at 3:58 pm

Have a wonderful and uneventful trip. I have a funny travel story for you. A few years ago my hubby and I flew to Indianapolis for the Indy 500 races and our flight left at 5:30am from here in Cali. I AM NOT a morning person so when I got up, I threw on a pair of yoga pants and a zip up hoodie and flippy flops, not even thinking about security while I was dressing. We are standing in line to get checked and the man told me to unzip my jacket so he could perform his body check and my husband busted out laughing into histerics. Well I smiled politely and said that I couldn’t unzip because I didn’t have anything on underneath (nothing, NADA, completely naked). Long story short, I didn’t get checked.

megan @ the oatmeal diaries — May 13, 2011 at 4:33 pm

I saw those carrot cake bites on the website! Congrats! Have a safe (and FUN) trip :)

Ally (oatsandspice) — May 13, 2011 at 4:34 pm

Have an AMAZINGGGG trip! :)

Lauren — May 13, 2011 at 5:32 pm

Hahah Oh my gosh, I love that you have 2 bags of chocolate chips in your suitcase. :) So necessary.

Jess@HealthyExposures — May 13, 2011 at 6:14 pm

I love your guest post on Marcus’s site – those balls look awesome :] And of course – congrats on being a featured contributor!
    I hope you have a wonderful – and safe! – trip. Can’t wait to take in the sights and live vicariously through you. [read:send sunshine. we have none.]

charlotte — May 13, 2011 at 7:16 pm

Huge CONGRATS on your new gig Averie! So excited for you!! And enjoy your trip – you are my kind of packer;)

Adam — May 13, 2011 at 8:10 pm

Wow I really like your guest post Marcus’s site. That`s awesome. Congrats!!

Crystal @ College Cooking Girl — May 13, 2011 at 8:22 pm

Have a safe trip!! Going to check out your guest post now. :)

Michele Sparrow — May 13, 2011 at 9:23 pm

Congratulations on being a contributor to his site! That is wonderful news! Will keep my eyes open for your posts! :-)

I hope you have a very relaxing and wonderful trip to Aruba! It sounds heavenly! Enjoy yourself!!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — May 13, 2011 at 11:50 pm

I am not really superstitious at all. I like Friday 13th. I think it is cool :-)

No big plans for the weekend, but we are having friends for dinner tomorrow night.

Amber K — May 14, 2011 at 6:09 am

I’m not really superstitious. Not about anything in particular that I can think of!

I’m off for my own trip, I can’t wait! The major concern for me is going to be food. There are limited options that will be helpful with all of my food intolerances, but I think I’ve figured it out!

Christine (The Raw Project) — May 14, 2011 at 7:57 am

That is awesome about being a contributor, what an honor! Congrats! Great pack job, too funny on the chocolate. But wow on the 22-hour travel time! Hope you have a blast on the trip!

1. Preparing food for and going to a baby shower, not too exciting.
    2. Maybe sometimes, but not about anything serious.
    3. My banana chocolate kale chips and they were awesome. :-)

Magdalena — May 14, 2011 at 9:44 am

Sorry to be commenting such a material thing but… Gotta love the cup! You wouldn’t know where I can find something similar?
    And… bon voyage!

Bob — May 15, 2011 at 3:31 am

I love packing for a holiday/vacation because it tells me that I’m about to go. When I am planning the trip and buying tickets then it is usually a few months off – it’s the packing that means it’s real!

Christin@purplebirdblog — May 15, 2011 at 11:35 am

Congratulations on your new gig!! Your recipes are always a hit and I look forward to checking out what you have going on over there!!! ;D