Dream Day

Happy Mother’s Day to all the Moms!  I hope you all had wonderful days and a great Mother’s Day weekend.  After I got home from work on Saturday evening, two cards were waiting for me.

I loved the embroidery work on the card Scott gave me.

Nice goin’, babe!  (he doesn’t read my blog so he’ll never see this unless I tell him) I love embroidered things from dishtowels to sweaters so this card was right up my alley!

This was Skylar’s card to me with the message she wanted Scott to write to me:

It all comes back to the “you always give me yummy yummy good snacks” doesn’t it.  Men or kids, no matter what people say, I think the way to their heart is through their stomach.

In terms of my day, I wish I could say that I:

Took a break from laundry

Read a book

Ate Bon-Bons.  Or at least ate some No Bake Vanilla Cake Batter Chocolate Truffles

But none of that happened.

What did happen:

Skylar hugged her bunny

And I hugged Skylar

I Ran Errands

Packed a little bit for our trip

I got in a couple nice runs and a couple 2o minute at-home yoga/weightlifting sessions over the weekend.

Unfortunately, the weather here wasn’t nice this weekend.  Gray and overcast, windy and cold.  The flowers are blooming, though.

I took this picture a few days ago when it was still sunny.

Thanks for all the great comments regarding my Fudgy Nutella Brownies with Cream Cheese Frosting. Yes, they are super fudgy.

Foodgawker and Tasteologie took that picture.  So far Tastespotting rejected it but I have another shot pending. I bet if I brought them the brownies to sample, they’d accept my submission.

Thanks for sharing your fave brownie recipes and the Happy Mother’s Day wishes!  Thanks to those of you who continue to chime in with such heartwarming stories about your moms.

1. What did you do to celebrate Mother’s Day?

Other than opening my cards and having some extra hugs and snuggles with the family, it was business as usual for me.

Saturday and Sunday afternoons are precious times of the week for me because Scott takes Skylar for a few hours so I can slam and jam with errands, housework, cooking, blogging, you name it.

While he’s in charge of Little Miss, I’m able to be really productive and try to get a headstart on the week and get organized.

2. What does a Perfect or Dream Day include for you?

Mine:

sleeping more than 5 hours and all in one stretch, i.e. 2 hours here and 2 hours there, not ideal

not being woken up with this phrase: “Mommy, I pooped.  Wipe my butt!”

no housework

cooking for pleasure only with ample to time to take tons of photographs.  As opposed to cooking because I actually have to feed the hungry troops and picture time is limited because everyone’s hungry.

not going to paid work

reading books and magazines

laying out and working on my tan

opening up a blue box from Tiffany

getting a massage

having a great run + yoga session

reading blogs

being un-productive in general

Those are a few items on my dream day list.  None of that usually happens, though.

What’s on your Dream Day list?

P.S. If you’re just catching up on posts from the weekend, here are mine since Friday:

Have a great week!

60 Responses to “Dream Day”

Morgan — May 8, 2011 at 7:41 pm

Happy, happy Mother’s day! It was my first mother’s day, and being with my baby, hubby and dog was enough for me (though they got me wonderful gifts and we spent the whole day together with my brother and his girlfriend which was awesome).
    A dream day would be a full spa day… getting the works!
    So I’m going to be in Aruba next week…we leave Tuesday. I would love to meet you for a drink or a walk or run or something if we could make that work!

April @ Grits & Granola Bars — May 8, 2011 at 7:42 pm

I had a really perfect Mother’s Day. My husband did absolutely E V E R Y T H I N G including cooking me breakfast and an amazing multi-course dinner, plus sweet cards and flowers. I lucked out for sure. :)

Gorgeous cards you got there, Mama! I know a lot of people think cards are a waste but I looooove sweet, sentimental cards. Happy Mother’s Day, Averie! Try not to work too hard this week :) Us mommies often do not take enough time for ourselves. Easier said than done, huh? ;)

Suzanne Williams — May 8, 2011 at 7:45 pm

Happy Mother’s Day. Yes, eating bon-bons. haven’t done that in a while.
    Suzanne

Lesley Lifting Life — May 8, 2011 at 7:48 pm

HAPPY MOTHER’S DAY!! It sounds like you have a great day with your beautiful family :)

Holly @ The Runny Egg — May 8, 2011 at 8:13 pm

We spent time with Jason’s mom and grandma yesterday — mom got a big bag of birdseed (we get her that every year and she loves it) and grandma got a super delicious smelling mojito candle from bath and body works. Today we visited my mom for a bit — gave her the People magazine all about the royal wedding. We get her magazines every year — she loves them so much but never buys them for herself.

I’m glad you had a nice Mothers Day!

Katie — May 8, 2011 at 8:44 pm

Happy Mothers Day!!

My dream day – sitting at a beach in the tropics with a book. And a drink preferably, but that’s not even necessary. Just ocean, sun, and a good book. I’m easy.

Emma (Namaste Everyday) — May 8, 2011 at 9:35 pm

those brownies look great! sort of like an oreo cheesecake! yummyummyummy snacks ;)

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — May 8, 2011 at 9:55 pm

A perfect day would include:

Breakfast with family around my table.
    Blog reading with a cup of coffee.
    A long, long massage and facial at the spa.
    A walk around the lake with a fresh juice and a good friend.
    A dinner party.
    Wine.
    Dancing.

Floey — May 8, 2011 at 11:16 pm

Happy Mother’s day beautiful lady!!!

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) — May 9, 2011 at 12:07 am

Awww, Skylar’s card is so sweet and Scott’s is so pretty!!

My dream day would entail not regretting what I ate the previous day upon waking up… followed by a day where the phone never rings and the doorbell never chimes and humidity is at 0%.

The cats don’t scratch their butts on the carpet… actually, we’re in a house with absolutely NO carpet. The carpet vanished overnight.

Work for money not required, completely optional. I cook and eat what I like and photograph it all perfectly. TS/FG and the bunch accept on the first try.

Trolls also vanished in the night; swallowed by a black hole.

I go shopping and there’s so little traffic that bad drivers are virtually nonexistent. And the produce at the store is gorgeous and they have everything I want freshly stocked. Oh, and I have $1 off coupons for all my items.

My iPod plays every song I want to hear that day.

And I end the day with a deep tissue massage followed by reading in bed cushioned with 1500-thread count sheets in my low-humidity room.

HA!! :)

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — May 9th, 2011 at 3:21 am

Best.Comment.Ever.
      TS/FG and the bunch accept on the first try.
      Trolls also vanished in the night; swallowed by a black hole.
      only 1500 t.c. sheets? :)
      deep tissue. omg. love.
      no humidity. move to san diego :)

Anna — May 9, 2011 at 3:13 am

I recently stumbled upon your blog, and have really enjoyed reading it so far. :) As a new reader, I have just one (silly?) question. To me, it appears that the comments on most of your older posts are “closed”, meaning that I can neither read nor post comments. I understand closing the comments section for new comments, but I was wondering if there would be any way that you could leave the old comments visible, for reading only? I was specially looking forward to reading the comments/recommendations to your DSLR-related posts, as I’m looking to buy a new camera myself. ;)

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — May 9th, 2011 at 3:20 am

Hi Anna thanks for reading…two issues
      1. i moved my blog from blogger to wordpress in Jan 2011. Unfortunately comments didn’t make the move. Major frustration but it was a tech glitch. So that’s why you’re not seeing them prior to Jan 2011. Lost forever :(

2. I close comments after 1 week b/c I am hit with MASSIVE spam. As in about 10,000 spams per month as it is and closing them cuts down on that. I figure anyone will just email me or comment on a current post like you did.

Thanks for reading and dont be a stranger.

Katrina (gluten free gidget) — May 9, 2011 at 3:22 am

Happy Mother’s Day! Skylar is so advanced for her age! You are an excellent mother. You have written posts in the past about your unique parenting style. Well, it is obviously working! Well done!
    My dream day:
    - AM Dance Class
    - Picnic lunch w/ my hubby
    - spending time creating in the kitchen
    - catching up on blogs
    - painting my nails (never happens)
    - reading while Dickens runs around the dog park
    - having friends over for dinner

cathy — May 9, 2011 at 3:38 am

what GORGEOUS embroidery on that card, averie. just beautiful! and love the photo of you and skylar.
    i went for coffee with my parents for mother’s day fun, gave mom a GC to a local specialty shop (a smaller “whole foods” type store).
    glad you had a good weekend despite the rain and normal To Do’s. Just focus on The Trip that awaits!!!

Lauren — May 9, 2011 at 4:10 am

Such a wonderful day! Happy Mothers Day! :)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) — May 9, 2011 at 5:08 am

I just hung out with my men. It was great! Perfect day for me, I just want to lay out at the lake or the beach…I am so doing that at some point this summer! I hope you have a great day Averie!

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine — May 9, 2011 at 5:19 am

Happy Mother’s day!! My mother’s day was pretty motherless, save for the garbled 15 minute conversation I had with my mom about how cell phone reception is really bad near my grandmother’s in New Jersey. Touching, I know.

My perfect day would include getting up early, going hiking with my dad, getting lunch at Wawa and eating in in my car with Mike (we used to do this all the time, and for some reason I just love it), then going to the beach and having a party with all my friends. Ahhh I cannot wait for summer- I want to make this day a reality!!

• kate replied: — May 9th, 2011 at 5:26 am

I miss Wawa!

kate — May 9, 2011 at 5:26 am

Happy belated Mother’s Day! Sounds like you had a great day!

Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes — May 9, 2011 at 5:31 am

All of your food looks amazing. Those brownies for instance…WOW! :D

Madeline - Greens and Jeans — May 9, 2011 at 5:31 am

Happy Mother’s day my friend! I know how much Skylar loves and adores you and I know she’ll be giving you sweet cards for years to come!

katie — May 9, 2011 at 5:36 am

Happy belated mother’s day! I hope you got at least one thing on your perfect day list :) Skylar is precious and the cards are beautiful too. One thing on my perfect day list is definitely a full day at the beach with a cool breeze, book and drink in hand ahhhhhhh!

Heather (Where's the Beach) — May 9, 2011 at 5:43 am

What a gorgeous card. Wow. Not sure I’ve ever seen one quite like that.

Anne — May 9, 2011 at 6:13 am

Ohhh, I agree on your dream day! But I’ll take just a couple of hours of that if I can get it – no entire day necessary! Glad you got a card from your man…it’s perfect for you isn’t it, reminds me of your tat :-). Have a great week Averie.

Salah (My Healthiest Lifestyle) — May 9, 2011 at 6:45 am

Happy Mothers Day!!! Looks like such a wonderful day! I am excited for the one day when I have a child and they give me a mothers day card :-)

Elizabeth@The Sweet Life — May 9, 2011 at 7:01 am

What a sweet family you have–love, love those cards!

Susan — May 9, 2011 at 7:21 am

Happy Mother’s day to you Averie! Scott and Skylar did a great job on those cards. You deserve all of the love being sent your way because you are a GREAT mama!

Holley @ Lunges and Lashes — May 9, 2011 at 7:33 am

I love that card, it is so pretty! Glad you day was fabulous you deserved every bit of it!

Beth — May 9, 2011 at 8:05 am

Our paintball field was closed on Sunday morning so that our employees and our customers could spend time with their Moms. I slept in a whole extra 30 minutes and thought it was heaven ;)
    We had a few groups of parents who brought out their kids (and kids friends) to play paintball on Mother’s day. The mom’s looked like they had a fantastic time playing alongside their kids. Smiles all around.

After work, I called my mom to wish her a happy mother’s day. The small plant I ordered for her turned out to be a 3 ft Fictus tree! Luckily she had the perfect spot for it, and absolutely loves it. Phew!

Glad you had a nice Mother’s Day with the family – even if it was an action packed day.

Amber K — May 9, 2011 at 8:13 am

Dream day list, I love yours! I especially like doing nothing productive and relaxing.

McKella — May 9, 2011 at 8:24 am

I actually Facetimed my Mom yesterday, better than just talking on the phone. I also called my grandma to wish her happy Grandmother’s Day.
    My perfect day? Depends on the mood, but it involves lots of time to think, go for walks, paint, write and read; perfect weather (IE, sunny and warm) really good food whenever I’m hungry, and probably ends with hanging out with Sam, family and/or friends.
    A really perfect day also might involve traveling, like touring the Taj Mahal or the Angor Wat.

Mary @ Bites and Bliss — May 9, 2011 at 9:08 am

Glad you had such a great Mother’s Day! The cards are so pretty!

Katherine: Unemployed — May 9, 2011 at 9:35 am

what touching cards! do you save a scrapbook of things like that?

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit — May 9, 2011 at 11:14 am

bahahaha “yummy yummy good snacks” I love it!

Krista — May 9, 2011 at 11:59 am

I was spoiled ALL weekend! It was awesome, I have to admit! Love Skylar’s card. Gifts from the kids always trump all, IMO….

Erin @ Big Girl Feats — May 9, 2011 at 12:01 pm

Aww, Happy Mother’s Day Averie! You clearly love that Little Miss so much and deserve a fabulous day (or year…years, you know!). I also laughed out loud at the wipe my butt comment – I worked in day care for 4 years and babysat my way through college so I totally heard those comments all the time. Kids are so funny/gross! :)

My perfect day would be waking up after a good night’s sleep, breakfast at my favorite diner, a sweaty yoga class, hanging out and strolling around a city with my dude and ending the night in a sauna/hot tub combo!

Erica — May 9, 2011 at 12:12 pm

oh my gosh, so sweet! I love it :) I agree- food is where its at! The cards are so cute. Glad you had a nice mamas day. I got to spend the majority of the weekend with my Mom- which was just so much fun :) My ideal day= a good workout or teaching an awesome class, time outside in the sunshine, LOTS of time with Frank & Josh, baking, frozen yogurt & sleep!

Gillian — May 9, 2011 at 12:27 pm

Skylar looks more and more like you every day!! True beauties!

birdie to be — May 9, 2011 at 12:35 pm

Those truffles look amazing! Happy Mother’s Day!

Katie — May 9, 2011 at 2:38 pm

Happy happy Mother’s Day, Averie! I’m glad you had a magical day… you certainly deserve it :-D

My mom and I celebrated last week by going to brunch, a beautiful sculpture garden, and Japanese sculpture museum. It was really nice. Yesterday, Ari’s family was here so we all went out to a fun brunch… and saw Thor.

Christine (The Raw Project) — May 9, 2011 at 3:38 pm

Aw, sweet cards! Too funny on Skylar’s, so cute! Sounds like a wonderful day.

1. Took my mom to brunch, then shopped.
    2. An open schedule in a fun, exotic location with loved ones.

Get Skinny, Go Vegan. — May 9, 2011 at 7:41 pm

Perfect Day. Do nothing! LOUNGE.

jackie — May 9, 2011 at 8:21 pm

I refuse to feel sorry for myself. I love my 2 children (now all grown) and have made umpteen sacrifices for them. We are supporting the younger one who hasn’t had a job in years. We babysit for the older one’s youngest child without asking for pay (it’s a joy but also work). This year and last year I did not even receive a “Happy Mother’s Day” comment. No cards, no gifts, nothing. We all met at the circus for benefit of the 3 grandchildren, where my husband spent too much money, which we really shouldn’t do, on junk for the grandkids to eat or whatever. It was fun being with them, and my granddaughter gave me a card and a gift :) She’s the only one who seems to be appreciative. My question is: am I the only one in this situation??? Everyone I know or read about has kids who are grateful. Ironically I got my daughter a gift certificate and a small gift since she’s a mother of 3. It is very confusing to me, and I wonder what on earth did I do wrong? Any words of wisdom from anyone?

Cookin' Canuck — May 9, 2011 at 8:37 pm

Skylar (and her sweet card) are absolutely adorable. I had a lovely, relaxing day with my husband and two boys. Have a wonderful trip – it sounds positively idyllic.

marla — May 9, 2011 at 8:49 pm

Not sure what up but your humor lately in your posts has me cracking up. Great candor. Dang those Nutella things are calling to me right now.

Gena — May 10, 2011 at 6:29 am

Glad you got some wonderful Mother’s day love from Skylar! I was thinking of you on that special day for Moms. Your nutella brownies look awesome!

cye — May 14, 2011 at 5:40 am

Most people think that dog care only involves washing up your dog regularly or make sure that it eats the right food. Others include showering the dog as dog care. Well, they are on the right path of dog care but it also involves taking care of the dog poop. I know this is the part where you say that this is the most disgusting thing that you have ever heard but you are mistaken. There is no way that you can say that you are maintaining your dog well enough yet you are leaving the dog waste lying around in your backyard. Dog owners should also note that when dog waste is left lying around not only are they endangering their lives but they are also endangering their pets’ lives.

Dogs are the best pets that anyone could ever own and this is the main reason why they are found in almost every homestead. These pets can however harm you with its waste and this is why dog owners have been advised over and over again to purchase dog poop bags so that they can deal with the dog waste. Dog waste has been found to be the carrier of do many germs that are harmful to human health such as E.coli. Apart form this; dog waste is also the inhabitant of so many parasites that can be ingested in the human body either orally or through inhalation. These parasites then go ahead to inhabit the human body and they can cause some serious harm to you. These parasites can also go ahead and inhabit the dog’s body itself thereby causing some serious harm to your body. The best way to avoid these infections is to use doggie bags to collect dog waste.

There are also other implications that can come from dog waste such as legal implications. There are so many dog owners who have been fined for leaving their pets’ waste lying around when they could have simply purchased a doggie bag and they could have avoided the whole drama altogether. All the above reasons just come to one simple conclusion, by using doggie bags you get to avoid sanitary and legal risks.

The best solution therefore is to purchase a doggie bag today at any retail shop that offers them or you can acquire them from online websites such as http://www.mypoopbags.com or http://www.911savebeans.com at reasonable prices.