Drive a Hard Bargain

On Sunday afternoon I went to the mall.  I needed to replenish my body sprays and face cleanser.

If you ‘re a fan of Butterfly Flower, Cucumber Melon, Moonlight Path, and a half dozen others, a Bath & Body Works employee told me those are all being discontinued in early summer, so stock up.  I will miss Butterfly Flower!

And I needed to pick up a new pair of running shoes and socks.  I replace my running shoes every 500 miles, max.

I don’t love the color but the other choice was black with lime green.   Eww.  I am forced to buy men’s shoes because of my big feet.  Ugh.

I know by the time I get home from Aruba I will need new shoes and these will be waiting for me so I don’t have to chase out to the mall first thing after getting home from a long trip.

I am super brand loyal to Nike Air Vomeros (Here or Here).  Lightweight, cushioned, small about of stability/control that works well for me.  Plus, they fit my huge feet better than other brands.

This happened to be the last pair in my size and it was a display pair.

The saleswoman asked me if I was okay with a display pair and I said, “Well would you take any money off because it’s the display pair?”

She said, “Sure, 10%.”

I said, “How about 20%?”

She checked with a manager and came back and said that was fine.

So, that was a nice savings of about $26 bucks off, plus the tax savings!  Almost paid for a bottle of the Lancome face cleanser that seems to be going up in price every time I buy it!

I have spent a small fortune on Nikes for the past quarter century, so I guess that was good shoe karma coming back at me.

After the mall, I ran some more errands, came home and ate green food.

With Vegan Slaw Dressing

Cinnamon Sugar & Ginger Roasted Potato Sticks

And snacked on some  Raw Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Balls

From my last post about Retreats and Growth, I loved hearing about the retreats or special vacations you’ve been on and how you grew.

And lots of you have some incredible wish-list destinations, trips, and retreats you want to take in the future.  Just stay focused to make all those awesome retreats a reality. And I’ll do the same for mine.

1.  Do you ever ask for money off or discounts on things?

I never used to ask for discounts on things but life changes and I am the breadwinner supporting my family and so if I can save $30 bucks on shoes by simply asking, I will!   It took 15 seconds and the worst that she could have said was no.

Had she said no, I would have still bought the shoes because I needed them.  Shhh, don’t tell her that though!

I am not one of those people that “hammers” someone for a deal though.  I ask once, if they say no, that’s fine.  I either buy it at the price they’re asking or I don’t, but I don’t haggle, badger, or drive too hard of a bargain.

As an aside, I used to sell timeshare and the worst part was just grinding people after they said no they didn’t want to buy any timeshare.  We had to have them say no a minimum of 12 times before we turned them over to a manager who badgered them more!

Moral of that story: If you want a free 3 day/2 night trip somewhere, buy your own!  Don’t come to a timeshare office because yes, you will get your “free” trip, but you better be prepared to do it 25 times and have salespeople all over you!

So no, I don’t drive a hard bargain with people in my personal life, but am also not afraid to ask for a deal (once, and respectfully), either.

I also hate low-ballers.  The people who offer you 40% below asking price on real estate or 10 grand under asking price on a car.  Insulting!

Are you a bargainer?  Would you ask for money off on anything?

2. What’s the last thing that you feel you got a really good deal on?

I always feel everything I buy from iHerb is a great deal, including my recent order.

I got a good deal on my Macbook by buying it extremely gently used, too.  Saved me hundreds of dollars and it works perfectly.  And I just discovered it has the entire Photoshop CS5 loaded on it!  I am just finally getting comfortable and faster with Lightroom 3, though!

3. Any fave body sprays or shoes that you’re loving lately?

Enjoy your day!

59 Responses to “Drive a Hard Bargain”

Chelsea — May 9, 2011 at 9:52 pm

I actually just did a charcoal drawing of the butterfly flower bottle =D I was way psyched when people in my class could actually guess what bottle it was and where it was from haha! I mean it’s not perfect but I try =D
    (that’s it hah!).

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — May 9, 2011 at 9:52 pm

I have become more confident (I think as I have gotten older) with asking for discounts on things if I think it is warranted. I suppose I would say that I have become more assertive … but definitely not aggressive.

I am always scared to go to those timeshare things/meetings! Talking to telemarketers on the phone is bad enough – I get so tired of saying “no thank-you, I am not interested.”

Eleah — May 9, 2011 at 9:59 pm

I’ve always been too shy and reserved to ask for bargains. I know nothing bad will come of it- just my nature!
    The last thing I got a really good deal on was some organic granola- normally over 4 dollars but found it for 1.98.

Ari@ThE DiVa DiSh — May 9, 2011 at 10:07 pm

That is so smart of you to ask for a discount! I wouldn’t even think to do that. Although sometimes, I’ll buy opened things knowing that I can get them cheaper because they are opened!
    And I always find running shoes that fit perfectly, but are the ugliest color! The cute pink ones are never good running shoes haha

Katie — May 9, 2011 at 10:13 pm

I am all about asking for discounts in situations like that. I usually get what I ask for. Its weird that people are so shy about asking. Its saving money people!

I honestly don’t remember the last great deal I got. I haven’t really spent much money lately, I guess that is why.

Erica D @ Gratitouille — May 9, 2011 at 10:20 pm

12 times?! Geez, I would really hate you by then. :P

I often ask if there’s a student discount. Sometimes I get lucky!

CH — May 9, 2011 at 10:49 pm

OMG you are such a negotiator Averie! I occasionally haggle where appropriate, but I’m not that great at it, although I am better than some people. I honestly can’t think of the last time I got an incredible deal on something. I like to think that my ex-boyfriend was an incredible deal because, in addition to being a genuinely nice and caring guy, he also had a lot of money (compared to me). I didn’t abuse it or anything and would NEVER do that, but it did mean that, say, if we were going out to a nice dinner and it cost $20 each, he would always pay and i got a free nice dinner. So I guess that is a deal of sorts, in a bizarre way. He got to feel like he was taking care of me and I got free food and, of course, love and affection! Funny how trade-offs in relationships work. Sorry if this makes no sense. I have my last exam tomorrow morning and am simultaneously exhausted and can’t sleep.

sara — May 10, 2011 at 12:45 am

Im not sure how to word this, but im really wondering… how do you have such nice, toned muscles? from the looks of your posts it doesnt seem like you get very much protien (1 – 1.5g/lb +)

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — May 10th, 2011 at 3:21 am

I dont post everything I eat (obviously) since some days all I post about are brownies or running shoes :) But I do yoga, lift weights, run for my exercise. Food…remember there is protein in everything and just b/c a brownie may not be known as a “protein food”…it still has calories and protein and the body is a smart machine and figures it all out.

cathy — May 10, 2011 at 3:09 am

yea, for shoe talk!! NICE work on getting that discount, averie. totally with you on two things: 1) buying your shoes NOW so you have them when you get back (planning-yes!); asking once and then letting the issue drop (glad you got your 10% off with one request).
    vomeros: cushions on your feet. great shoe. glad you didn’t have to get black/lime!

Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope — May 10, 2011 at 3:59 am

I love those Bath and Body fragrances… I’m going to be sad to see them go too! Thanks for the head’s up though. I’ll have to stop in there next week and stock up on a few!

Haha, I remember when my brother and I were shopping at the mall and he found a pair of (very expensive) jeans at Buckle that had this small pen mark on them. He LOVED them and they fit really well, but he’s a perfectionist even more than I am and was worried the mark would bother him if it wouldn’t come out of the jeans. I asked the sales lady if we could get a discount, and we ended up getting 30% off! It pays to ask – you never know! :) And the pen mark did end up coming up the first time he washed them… so it was an awesome deal!

Lauren — May 10, 2011 at 4:03 am

LOVE LOVE LOVE those shoes! :)

Erica — May 10, 2011 at 4:21 am

Wow! Way to rock a great deal on the shoes! Whoop! Nike makes some good looking shoes- unfortunately, they are not wider feet friendly- so this chick has to avoid them. And as always- the eats look awesome, especially the potato sticks. I occasionally will bargain for something I want….but usually due it based on how well priced I think the item is. hmmm I think we got a really good deal on my car. Ryka shoes are my go to. Love their cross trainers- great for running and teaching

Hannah (Balancing on Two Feet) — May 10, 2011 at 5:05 am

I love the Vomeros as well! I tend to look for the past season of them so I can get them a little cheaper.

Keelie — May 10, 2011 at 5:13 am

Awesome shoe saving! I usually don’t buy things at retail price, but I never harass people about it- I’m with you- if there’s a reason I might get a discount (damaged, display item… etc.) I’ll ask if they can offer me anything off the price… Having worked retail, I KNOW how awful it is when people are insistent on you giving them a discount, especially when your store doesn’t offer them.

I got a really great deal on my two wedding dresses- an $800 Badgley Mischka gown for $80 (thank you, Loehmann’s!) and a $600 BCBG Max Azria cocktail for $200 (sale rack at Macy’s)!

Sam@I Tell Stories — May 10, 2011 at 5:27 am

I got a great deal on an off the rack designer wedding dress – 60% off just because it was a smaller size.

My husband and his family are big bargain hunters. They love getting a deal or snagging the “Display” things.

Lesley Lifting Life — May 10, 2011 at 5:37 am

Way to bargain! ;) It’s amazing how that works if you’re willing to try to wheel and deal. If you wouldn’t have said anything, you prob would have paid full price.

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine — May 10, 2011 at 5:44 am

I recently bought a gorgeous blue chiffon Zara dress (that I bought because I saw Kate Middleton wearing it, I cannot lie). It was 90 bucks but had a tiny snare in the chiffon, so I got 15% off. Since I was planning on wearing it with a blazer anyways, it’s fine! I was proud of myself for asking, because two years ago I would have just paid full price. Love it though.

My best deal ever was my Tory Burch flats…I got them at 50% off from Tory herself when I met her at Fashion’s Night Out in 2009 in NYC. I love to tell that story. And of course, all my crazy Costco deals!

Holly @ The Runny Egg — May 10, 2011 at 5:57 am

Great job getting that deal on your shoes! We’ve done that with buying appliances and some furniture from the sales floor. We aren’t jerks about it, but they aren’t going to just offer you a discount, you have to ask! But you are so right, don’t be insulting about it.

When I was selling that Craigslist stuff last year (because of your awesome suggestion!!!) I had some lowball offers and it just irritated me. If you want a deal, fine, but don’t offer me $10 on an item I price at $75! Come on.

Tiff @ Love, Sweat, and Beers — May 10, 2011 at 6:05 am

I am a fan of my Mizuno shoes. I lucked out with the color, purple! I’ve def had my fare share of ugly shoes though. I’m impressed you know how many miles you put on yours. I just keep on running until they get a hole or something… hmmm… might need to work on that.

Kate — May 10, 2011 at 6:07 am

I’m going to have to try that vegan slaw you’ve been raving about. Maybe on top of my crunchy spinach salad?

charlotte — May 10, 2011 at 6:37 am

I need to go shopping with you! I have such a hard time bargaining. It just doesn’t feel “nice” which I know is ridic. Gotta get over that. Your shoes are adorbs!

Sarah — May 10, 2011 at 6:39 am

I, on the other hand, have such tiny feet (women’s 6) that the last time I went shoe shopping, they told me I might be better off with a kid’s 4.5 – alas :)

Also, I try bargaining, but people generally think I’m joking or look like a kid, so they laugh it off and I’m non confrontational so I laugh too. Alas.

Elizabeth@The Sweet Life — May 10, 2011 at 7:00 am

Love, love, love all things Lancome. Their mascara is the best and their cleansers smell delish!

Beth — May 10, 2011 at 7:04 am

Sweet savings! I’ll take 20% off any day :)

Yes, I do ask for money off or discounts when I think it is worthy. Usually with display items, or if there is a minor stain, loose threading, etc. When I do ask, I always get it – as long as I explain why I am asking.

Lost year We got lowballers all the time at the paintball field, looking for a huge discount. This year we did a Groupon, so anyone who wanted the deal should have bought it. Missed the Groupon? Too bad ;)

Love being back in my Birks for the spring / summer. Hurray for warm & sunny weather!

Amber K — May 10, 2011 at 8:01 am

I am the worst at asking for deals and haggling of any kind. I always feel like I could be getting a really good deal if I just knew exactly how to ask. High-pressure sales tactics are exactly why I don’t go try and get anything free “as long as you just listen to our spiel.” Not for me!

Crystal — May 10, 2011 at 8:14 am

I have a pair of women’s Nikes and they were the largest size available. Well, they are too small. I don’t know why I bought them because they are too skinny and not long enough. I’m a women’s size 10, is that about what you are? Funny enough, I have the smallest feet in my family. Two of my cousins are sizes 15 and 17 and have to get shoes special ordered! My Nikes look awesome but they are so uncomfortable because they are too small and for some reason they don’t have any grip! I’m going to be on the lookout for some new shoes for the tennis courts. :)

I was trying to think of an instance where I bargained and I don’t recall any. I guess that speaks for itself!

Heidi @ Food Doodles — May 10, 2011 at 8:40 am

Awesome deal you got! I do ask for deals occasionally. But I don’t drive too hard of a bargain either. I am very strict about taking things back if they don’t work or if it isn’t good enough. My husband is awful for that. Something will break a day after he gets it and he’ll just leave it. Take it back!! What a waste of money. I think I’m good at haggling, at like garage sales etc, but I’m not one of those crazy people that offers way less than the asking price. That bothers me. Be reasonable, right?

Ragnhild — May 10, 2011 at 8:44 am

I love iherb too! I actually buy a whole lot of my food there. I live in Norway, and here they sell Raw Almond butter for around 25 US dollars. If I buy Arisanas wonderful raw nutbutters on iherb, Ill get a glass double the norwegian size, for LESS than half the price! That is CRAZY!

Maria Smith — May 10, 2011 at 8:55 am

I have also bought Butterfly Flower, its good… And me too, not good in bargaining.. :(

jill — May 10, 2011 at 11:28 am

I like the jasmine vanilla Body Shop Body spray, I will have to check out B and BW, I have never been in there.
    I am also loyal to my Asics shoes, very roomy in the toe box, so I can wiggle my toes! :)

Katie — May 10, 2011 at 11:32 am

I hate when they discontinue my faves!!! I will have to go stock up on a couple too!!!

I bet you are so excited for the trip!!! yay!!!! When do you leave?!

xoxo <3

Krista — May 10, 2011 at 12:52 pm

I like that the label on the shoe box reads “suggested price”. That’s just begging for some wheeling & dealin! :)

Tori (Fresh Fruition) — May 10, 2011 at 1:09 pm

That’s so awesome you got money off! I love those shoes. The red is so striking!

Erika — May 10, 2011 at 9:00 pm

I always speak up about things! You have to. The other day I went to drinks with my girls and we ordered (too many) glasses of sangria. We asked the waitress how much they were and she told us 6/glass. I thought this was a bit odd because that was the happy hour price and it was far past happy hour. Low and behold, when we received the bill, each glass was 9 dollars. I spoke up and said something and we got them for 6/each. Chaching! If I wasn’t there my friends definitely would have paid for it and not spoken up. You gotttttta speak up, getting discounts is easy :)!

By the way, your daughter is PRESH, to die for. Wish I lived near ya so I could babysit that lil munchkin!

Christine (The Raw Project) — May 11, 2011 at 2:59 pm

Sweet score on the shoes, I need to replace mine soon.

1. Yes, I did Sunday also when I grabbed a pair of pants at Gap that were falsely marked on sale.
    2. Pants and a purse on Etsy.
    3. My Asics GEL-Kinetic 3s.

Roxy Butanda — May 14, 2011 at 5:05 am

You really make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this topic to be really something which I think I would never understand. It seems too complicated and very broad for me. I am looking forward for your next post, I will try to get the hang of it!

Alana — May 15, 2011 at 10:16 am

I have started using coupons recently and it makes such a huge difference. And you inspired me to order from iherb. I had never heard of them before and went to the site and they had a box of the new chocolate brownie larabars for WAY cheaper than in other stores or sites. And, I used your promo code. It was such a great deal! Thanks so much!

carin — May 15, 2011 at 2:28 pm

i just bartered $10/month off my rent in madison. doesn’t sound like a lot, and it’s not, but it’s $120 a year…..quite a few whole foods vegan chocolate puddings :)