Happy Mother’s Day & Reflections

Skylar made this for me at preschool.

My favorite piece of artwork she’s ever made for me!

I have it hanging up in the kitchen now.

I love the picture her teachers took of her.  The preschool is indoors/outdoors and the kids spend lots of time outside, and I can tell they must have taken the picture earlier in the week when it was in the low 90s.

She looks happy, and warm, holding those flowers.  I also love her in yellow.  Blonds and yellow, yellow and white flowers, so pretty.  I’m biased, of course.

It was just so touching that when I picked her up from school Friday afternoon she exclaimed, “Mommy, I made this for you!  Happy Mother’s Day.  You’re the best mommy ever!”

You couldn’t have scripted lines out of a movie to sound like that and it just melted me.  She turned four in February so this is the first year she really “gets” Mother’s Day.

And now, it’s time for me to get cracking on chores and work.

But not without eating a No Bake Nutter Butter Special K Bars with Chocolate Frosting for energy, first.

Thanks for filling me in on what the last thing you unpacked from a box was.  Lots of fun answers!

1. How are you celebrating Mother’s Day Weekend?

I am working so don’t have tons of time to celebrate, and I live far away from my mother and sister (who has a 10 month old) so I won’t be celebrating with them.

I have so much to do before our trip, in addition to working and all the usual things I have to tackle anyway, so not much downtime for celebrations and just putting my feet up. But that’s ok!

I may “celebrate” by pre-packing suitcases a bit.  Thrilling, indeed.

2. Tell me something nice about your mom, or a nice story, or a motherhood reflection if you’re a mom.

I never realized in entirety the sacrifices mothers make, all that they do, just how profound of a role motherhood is until I became one.  I have so much more appreciation for everything my mom did for me from cooking my favorite foods for me to driving me to all my events to giving up things she probably wanted to do so she could be there for me and give me her undivided attention when she had 17 other things that need attention, too.

Pregnancy, childbirth, sleepless nights, cleaning up vomit, wiping butts, drying tears, cleaning owies and skinned knees, detangling snarly hair, making sacrifices, putting yourself second are just part of the motherhood deal and honestly, I don’t even “notice” or mind.  It’s just part of. It just is. It’s what moms do.  And I wouldn’t have it any other way!

As moms we are doing the hardest work, but also the most rewarding.  If you’re a mom and reading this, you know that there are days you wonder if anything will go right.

You wonder if your work matters, if anyone notices, or if in the end, there will be some value to it all.

And the answer to all of those questions is, yes!  Keep on, keeping on, moms! When they run up and hug you and tell you how much they love you, yes, it’s all worth it.  It all matters.  All your hard work, investment, and dedication to your children will and does pay off.  If you’re a mom and you’re reading this, you are an amazing mom.

I love this little girl more than life itself.  She is my purpose.  She is the reason I work hard and do what I do; so that I can provide for her and give her a nice life.

I parent with love and compassion, and am trying to instill values like honesty and hard work in her, while showing her that a sense of humor and being gentle with others and ourselves helps, too.  I am trying to give her a great foundation in her childhood so that she may spread her wings one days and have wonderful life when I am not around to kiss her owies or tuck her in anymore.

Picture from her birthday a couple months ago

I love you Skylar!

Happy Mother’s Day to Moms Everywhere!

67 Responses to “Happy Mother’s Day & Reflections”

Evan Thomas — May 7, 2011 at 3:47 pm

I saw my mother today. She’s signed up for her second Ashtanga yoga beginner’s course and is so excited to be getting better at it. She also bought a bag of kale to make kale chips with. She’s basically turning into a blogger, haha :-)

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — May 7th, 2011 at 5:12 pm

omg I want to hang out with your mom (and you too of course)!

ashtanga is the kind of yoga I DO! I do all kinds, but that’s where my passion is. I would love to practice with her one day. And eat kale chips together.

So cool, Evan. Your mom sounds awesome..and like a blogger. lol

*Andrea* — May 7, 2011 at 3:48 pm

that artwork is so precious!!! skylar is such a beautiful littlegirl…love the pic with the flowers!

i’m taking my mom out for a manicure tomorrow…she’s working tonight and tomorrow night so i can’t take her to dinner or spend too much time with her. i still to this day have NO clue how mothers do legit EVERYTHING for families – you are all superwomen!! if someone told me today i had to be a mother, there’s no way i could do it (still too young anyway).

happy mothers day to you!!!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — May 7, 2011 at 3:49 pm

Such a nice post – and you are showing just how much moms sacrifice by making this post about your daughter instead of you. I can’t wait to be a mother someday. My mom and I have an incredible bond and I can’t wait until I have the same with a daughter some day.

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — May 7th, 2011 at 5:14 pm

you are going to make an amazing mom! i know how close you are w/ your mom already…it will just grow once you have your own :)

xo

Emily — May 7, 2011 at 4:00 pm

Skylar is going to LOVE being able to read this in the future! I won’t be home for mother’s day but I bought my mom a gift certificate to the spa and will celebrate with her later in the week. I love my mom so much!

VeggieGirl — May 7, 2011 at 4:02 pm

BEAUTIFUL artwork from dear Skylar – she has an amazing mother and I know she realizes that :)

For Mother’s Day = my mom, dad, Suave Slav, my brother, sister-in-law, and 2 nephews are all going out to lunch.

Jess@HealthyExposures — May 7, 2011 at 4:09 pm

Aw, you’re making me really sentimental right now! This post is so sweet; I love the artwork Skylar created for you, and what she said to you when you picked her up. I am glad she sees what an amazing mother she has; although with how often you post pictures of her with the biggest, most heartwarming smile ever, I already knew that ;)
    Unfortunately, I’ll be spending tomorrow photographing a horse show instead of going on a nice trail ride (or something) with my mother :( We had a mini-celebration tonight and I made her her favorite “wormy things” (what she calls quinoa, it’s the “chickpea-quinoa pilaf from veganomicon. she requests it every chance she gets.)
    I am so grateful that my mom has put up with all I’ve put her through. I haven’t always had the best attitude or been the most respectful daughter (everybody goes through those years…right?); but I’m really glad she was firm with me, too. Otherwise I’d probably be a loose cannon right now :P

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — May 7th, 2011 at 5:15 pm

wormy things…lol
      i need to pick up V’con. The only “bible” I dont have in my arsenal :) you are so sweet to have cooked for her.

“everybody goes through those years…right?); “– YES!!!

Tasha - The Clean Eating Mama — May 7, 2011 at 4:24 pm

That is so sweet! Jordan made a pretzel flower bouquet in a vase with a picture of him on a flower – I will post pictures later… it is super cute!
    I cannot believe how grown up she is looking! Have a wonderful Mother’s Day, mama!

Alex — May 7, 2011 at 4:25 pm

I love reading your blog, and I havent commented on it before, but I thought this post was awesome! The picture of you and Skylar remind me of my mom and I! We are both blonde, and I am super tall, we also share an awesome bond that I can see you and your daughter do as well! I am only 19 years old, and I would say my mom is my very best friend. I am so thankful to have her in my life, and I bet Skylar will feel the same way as she grows up!
    Happy Mothers Day!

Pure2raw twins — May 7, 2011 at 4:40 pm

what a great gift!! I remember making things like that for my mom when I was younger!

Averie I hope you have a wonderful mothers day!

Sam@I Tell Stories — May 7, 2011 at 4:49 pm

Happy Mother’s Day! What a fantastic present from Skylar. I am pregnant with my first, and excited for all the things to come :)

Mary @ Bites and Bliss — May 7, 2011 at 5:04 pm

Such a cute wreath!! She has one awesome mother. :)

Leslie — May 7, 2011 at 5:35 pm

Your little girl has just the sweetest, happiest, brightest smile!

A. Cook — May 7, 2011 at 6:00 pm

Averie, your daughter is so beautiful…I can see how much joy she brings to your life; you must be so proud of her! I can’t wait to be a mom someday!!
    Also, your post made me tear up a little. I also live far from my mom and won’t get to see her tomorrow, but I sent a card of course and will call. I’ll see her over Memorial Day weekend too so not too long. My mom is amazing. She always took such an interest in all of us when we were growing up, getting involved in our teams, driving us anywhere we needed to go, etc. I butted heads with her alot as a teen but whenever I was feeling down, she selflessly looked past my snottiness and did something to cheer me up. Specifically, I remember one time when I was in high school (maybe sophomore year?), and my friends had cancelled plans on me and I was feeling really low, like no one liked me, and I was crying. My mom told me she would always be my friend and took me out to see a movie. I appreciate things like that so much now.

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — May 7th, 2011 at 6:44 pm

Omg your comment made me cry, too! Hallmark fest over here :)

“I remember one time when I was in high school (maybe sophomore year?), and my friends had cancelled plans on me and I was feeling really low, like no one liked me, and I was crying. My mom told me she would always be my friend and took me out to see a movie. I appreciate things like that so much now.”–

That’s the kind of mom I want to be. So happy your mom and you have such a special relationship!

Emma (Namaste Everyday) — May 7, 2011 at 6:01 pm

Happy Mothers Day to you! Last year at school, I went through a really hard break-up. Even though my Mom is not the type to baby me or make a big deal when I’m sad (think: tough love) she and the family came up to visit three days later. I never needed my mommy more to remind me that a) there are cooler people who love me, and b) I will have many many more fun days in the future!

cathy — May 7, 2011 at 6:19 pm

this post just warms my heart in so many ways.
    first, skylar’s artwork is just precious. worth a million, eh. second, thanks for sharing your own mothering reflections, averie. what a profound life experience.
    my mom is one of, if not THE best friend i have. instead of writing a 1000 words, i’ll just say that she is ALWAYS there – to talk, to shop, to laugh, to analyze…i just so appreciate her love.
    happy happy mother’s day! enjoy amidst the chaos!

Heidi @ Food Doodles — May 7, 2011 at 6:38 pm

Aw so sweet!! I was totally tearing up near the end there :)
    My mom and I are best friends. We don’t talk as much as I’d like to. My mom is always there for me, even when she doesn’t agree with me, or thinks I’m doing something wrong. We both look very similar and we sound exactly alike on the phone. It used to bother me, but now I’m so happy I’m growing up to be like her. It’s my goal to be more like her, she’s so patient and tactful and sweet. It makes me upset thinking of all the things I’ve done that have hurt her in any way. Now that I’m a mom I realize that she understands. I never realized everything she’s done for me till I became a mom too. Now when it’s 4 in the morning after being up with a sick toddler and baby all night and my toddler asks me to stay up and rub his legs till he falls asleep because they’re sore…. I totally get it. And my son isn’t quite 4 yet but I know it’s so worth it. And it’s not a burden at all to put my kids ahead of myself or to miss out on something because of them. I still have a hard time getting my head around it, it’s so awesome :)

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — May 7th, 2011 at 6:45 pm

“Now when it’s 4 in the morning after being up with a sick toddler and baby all night and my toddler asks me to stay up and rub his legs till he falls asleep because they’re sore…. I totally get it”—YES! you have to live that in order to really get it :)

Happy Mother’s Day to you too Heidi!

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) — May 7, 2011 at 6:54 pm

This will be the 2nd mother’s day without my mom and the first for Derek without his. My Mom despised going to crowded mother’s day buffets so we always celebrated the weekend before or after- very cool. I inherited that feeling too- so the rest of the familia are going to a place that we know won’t be crowded at a really weird ‘drunch’ hour- like 4:30! Hee!

Happy Mother’s day! You are a very very devoted MOm and your baby totally knows that! (she’s growing up sooo fast too!)

Katie — May 7, 2011 at 7:09 pm

I was just talking to my sister this morning, who has 2 kids – 13 and 10 – and she told me that even when they are acting out (which is pretty much all the time right now), they are worth all the headaches and heartache.

My mom is my best friend. I can’t be with her tomorrow, but she’s coming here on Friday and I can’t wait!!!

My mom kept all my old artwork like that, and made me a scrapbook of memories from them a few years ago. It is one of my most prized possessions. I know you are probably doing this already, but save everything Skylar makes! She (and you) will love looking back on it someday.

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine — May 7, 2011 at 7:30 pm

Happy mother’s day to you- so sweet that she understands the meaning of the holiday now! To be honest, mother’s day is always kind of weird in our house. Haha, I’ve alluded to the situation before, I think ;) I won’t be home to celebrate with my family tomorrow, and I’m kind of happy about that, because it excludes me from going to the art museum and inevitably getting into ridiculous arguments. We’re an interesting crowd, my family.

Eleah — May 7, 2011 at 7:42 pm

Oh my gosh, you two look perfect together! What a touching gift she made you.

Lauren (Diary of a Vegan Girl) — May 7, 2011 at 7:46 pm

Happy Mother’s Day Averie!

I only hope that when I become a mother I can be somewhat like you!

When I think of my mom I think of my Grandma. I love her so incredibly much and cannot believe everything she has done for me! So happy mother’s day to all of the grandma’s out there too!

Michele Sparrow — May 7, 2011 at 7:54 pm

I love the artwork Skylar made for you. It is so abundantly clear how much she loves you and that in itself is a strong testament to the mother you must be. Your love for her also emanates so much in your speech – it is wonderful. That is what, I believe, is what kids want more than any THING…to KNOW that they are loved.

I love my mom so much and although I won’t see her tomorrow (she lives in Oregon), I will call her and talk on the phone. We speak often and she knows how much I love her because I tell her all the time. There are so many amazing and selfless things she did for me growing up. She was that kind of mom. I want to be that for my 2 boys, too…selfless. I want them to feel my love and humble sacrifice for them and recognize that it is love that is the inspiration in it. I believe they do because my boys (even though they are 13 and 15) say “I love you, Mom” often. It is the greatest gift!!

Happy Mother’s Day to you, Averie!

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty — May 7, 2011 at 8:04 pm

Oh my gosh, that gift made my heart flutter a bit!! What a sweet gift!! i love stuff like that!!

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit — May 7, 2011 at 8:13 pm

aw! That’s the cutest gift!

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn — May 7, 2011 at 8:15 pm

Aweee, happy mother’s day, averie!!! That is too cute. Please tell Skylar she is a precious child!

Danielle @weightsandmeasures — May 7, 2011 at 8:20 pm

My mom is the mom-of-all-moms type. She is absolutely the most kind and generous person I know. In college, my roommate was horrified when I called my mom at midnight and asked her a question. She said that her mom would never answer, but my mom is happy to talk to me (and my 3 sisters and 2 brother-in-laws) at any hour.

She holds our family together tighter than glue. Where my mom is, our family will soon be, and a wonderful dinner will always follow.

Holly @ The Runny Egg — May 7, 2011 at 8:32 pm

My mom is such a good mom — I know she sacrificed a lot to stay home and raise me and my sisters. We always had so much fun. And now she is always there for me — if I need to talk, to cry or just for a hug. She can always make me feel better.

Have a great Mothers Day Averie!

Rob — May 7, 2011 at 9:01 pm

I enjoyed this post. Although my mother lives a bit far away, we will be going to see my wifes mom. I hope you have a Happy Mother’s Day as well. Your daughter reminds me of my daughter (although mine is a bit older), she makes crafts for us all the time, and we could never throw it out!

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) — May 7, 2011 at 9:33 pm

Awww, that craft that Skylar made for you is so pretty!! Love it!!

I agree, good moms deserve so much more credit than they get. :) Happy Mother’s Day, Averie! I can tell from the other side of the country that you are a spectacular mommy. Skylar’s bright and happy smile is proof of that!

Katharina — May 7, 2011 at 9:50 pm

Averie, you are such an incredible person and Skylar is blessed to have you as her mother :) seeing these pictures of her really warms my heart because I can see in her smile and her eyes that she is simply herself, and I love that you don’t stop her from that. Oftentimes I see parents trying to “control” their kids in a way that… dims the spirit, you know what I mean? This is such a sweet post, and I hope you have a wonderful day tomorrow!

1. I wish I could spend Mother’s Day with mine, but we’ll have to postpone until we are reunited :)

2. My mother has such passion inside of her. It use to be overwhelming when I was younger, and sometimes it still is… but as I’ve gotten older I’ve realized that’s just who she is. And you know what? It’s wonderful. She has this undeniably infectious spirit about her.

XOXO!!!

p.s. thank you for all the kind words in my post :) I love when you stop by!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — May 8th, 2011 at 1:15 pm

dims the spirit…oh i know very much what you mean and I want to parent opposite of that!

i know how close you and your mom are and i want to be that way with skylar :)

xoxo

megan @ the oatmeal diaries — May 8, 2011 at 1:45 am

Oh my goodness, this melted my heart too!
    I’m sad because this is actually the first mother’s day I won’t be with my mom (since I’m studying abroad in Australia). We’re going to Skype, though!

Crazy Age — May 8, 2011 at 1:51 am

Hello, a really great blog with nice articles and nice information. Keep it up and nice greetings.

Sam — May 8, 2011 at 6:06 am

That picture thing she made for you is precious. The photo of her is really cute, she looks lovely with those flowers!
    My mom and I are going to go on a run together a bit later in the week (I work weekends) and then I’ll be taking her out to a restaurant of her choice :) Can’t wait! Moms are the best, happy mothers day to you!

dragonmamma/naomi — May 8, 2011 at 6:11 am

I’ll be seeing my mom next week when I fly down to San Diego to see her.

My mom-story: I’m left-handed. When I was learning to write in school, my papers were always a mess because my hand would trail through what I had just written and smear it all over the place. On an otherwise flawless report card, I had a “D” for hand-writing.
    It didn’t take long for my mom to figure out that if I switched from pencil to quick-drying pen, the problem was solved. Well, the first time I proudly pulled out my pen and started to write in class (this was 1st grade) the teacher grabbed the pen out of my hand and said “Sorry, but you’re not allowed to use a pen until 3rd grade.”
    I was very upset when I got home, and told my mom why. Because we lived only a block away from the school and the staff was still there, my mom marched right on over to the school and reamed out the teacher. “I’m her mom, and if I say she’s allowed to use a pen, then she’s allowed to use a pen!” Apparently she had to go down the hall and repeat this to the principal, too. After that, I was allowed to use a pen in class.
    By the way, my mom was NOT one of those moms who was upset because I didn’t perform up to her standards. She was just fine with it when I got Bs in math and history.

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — May 8th, 2011 at 1:16 pm

great story of your mom standing up and telling them the way it was going to be! amen for some backbone!! :)

Colleen — May 8, 2011 at 7:12 am

WOW that is the cutest craft I’ve ever seen! Skylar’s grown so much, she looks so gorgeous! My mom can be quite strict when it comes to school and gets on my nerves often but I know it’s because she loves me and wants me to succeed. Recently she screamed at me for getting a B on a Julius Caesar test. That kind of thing bothers me. Then she won’t let me play tennis for a day or two which absolutely kills me

CheemCycleDew — May 8, 2011 at 9:31 am

Escort für viele erwies sich Heil. Jemand, der nicht fett und es gibt keinen Ansatz für Frauen, dank [url=http://www.4uescort.de][b]huren[/b][/url] ihnen konnte er einen Partner finden. Warschau ist ein Ort, wo Singles fast überall begegnen kann, nur schade, dass so viele Menschen einsam sind. Allerdings gibt es nichts gebrochen, nur geben Sie Ihr Angebot an begleiten. Dort haben wir fast hundert Prozent sicher, dass jemand zu uns sagen: Menschen sind immer noch auf der Suche nach ihrer zweiten Hälfte haben, so ist es nützlich, ein wenig Glück helfen und dazu beitragen, die andere Person zu finden. Insgesamt sind Kontaktanzeigen die Rettung für viele Menschen. Die, ohne effektiv Suche nach Partnern in diesem Leben. Was mich betrifft, ich fand auch seine Frau in einer Box escort, ich bin ein viel beschäftigter Mann, ich keine Zeit abholen Mädchen, war meine Zeit mit Arbeit ausgefüllt. Ich beschloss, zu bemerken, dass er nach einem Partner, in dem ich beschrieb, was ich bin und wie ich aussehe suchen geben. Es stellte sich heraus, dass die Antwort sofort, und ich war so glücklich verheiratet zu sein.

Amber K — May 8, 2011 at 10:03 am

Mother’s Day is usually bittersweet for me. I’m always torn between my mother giving me my very life, and our rocky relationship. I didn’t have the kind of mother who did all sorts of things for me or who was supportive. So it’s a tough day coupled with my current infertility. But I saw your brownie post and they look so amazing, I must make them!

• Amber K replied: — May 8th, 2011 at 1:34 pm

I love reading your blog because you are so positive! Thanks :)

Get Skinny, Go Vegan. — May 8, 2011 at 10:10 am

Freakin’ Nematodes. That was my last box. A box of bugs to help with my Kale so I don’t have to pay 2.49 a bunch!

Christin@purplebirdblog — May 8, 2011 at 11:18 am

And a very happy mother’s day to you, sweet Averie! I miss my mom tremendously on days like today, but I enjoy the love shared between my friends and their mothers, or my mom friends and their children… it really brightens the day all around! xo

Dan — May 8, 2011 at 2:27 pm

It’s Mothering Sunday here in the US and I know that even though it is celebrated on a different dates depending on your location, I just wanted to greet all our mothers on this day! Happy Mother’s Day to all mothers in the World!

charlotte — May 8, 2011 at 2:53 pm

Beautiful post! Got a little misty reading people’s thoughts about their moms and their kids!! And holy cow is your sweet Skylar ever adorable! Happy Mother’s Day mama:)

Christine (The Raw Project) — May 8, 2011 at 5:29 pm

What an adorable gift from Skylar, so sweet and adorable! And agreed, great picture. Happy Mother’s Day to you!

1. I took my mom to brunch this morning before she had to get to her nursing job.
    2. She’s very patient, much more so than me. She has to be to tolerate being a nurse for so many years and dealing with challenging patients and their families!

Naomi(onefitfoodie) — May 8, 2011 at 6:46 pm

my mom and i are beyond close…she is my best friend unlike anyone else in the entire world. She knows my ups and downs and when Im happy and sad and knows EXACTLTY what to say (for the most part lol) what I love is the honesty anf trust we share between us. I know she will tell me how it is and always speak her mind and always is sharing her unconditional love. She is the most amazing woman

I love that skylar made you that bright, beautiful piece of artwork at school! you must be so proud to be her mother and she is so lucky to have you! Happy mothers day, Averie!

Joy — May 8, 2011 at 8:37 pm

My mom is gone (cancer sucks – it took me a few tries to come up with something as “gentle” as sucks) but she certainly is my hero!

I am Joy because of her… When she was pregnant with me they suggested an abortion (because she had CP) and she told them “no! This is the joy of my old age!” and when I was a rotten teen she still felt like I was her joy. And when I couldn’t find love for me she’d tell me to keep looking but in the meantime she had enough love for me for both of us.

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — May 8, 2011 at 9:21 pm

Awwwwwwwwwe I love the art work that she made for you :-) That is sweet.

You are an INCREDIBLE mom! I admire you, and hope to be like you when I am a mom!!

Crystal — May 9, 2011 at 3:30 am

What a great mothers day gift! Good Job Skylar!

Beth — May 9, 2011 at 7:57 am

My mom is amazing. She took time off work while we were young (until my youngest brother was in Kindergarden). After that she went back to work full time, cooked, cleaned, baked, chauffered, helped with homework, read us stories, picked up after us, threw parties (birthday or otherwise), car pooled, enrolled us in sports, taught us to ride bikes, etc. When I was 12 my mom decided to go back to school to get her PhD in Psychology. She did this while continuing to do everything else. Where did she find the time, energy and patience? I know she wasn’t getting much sleep. She always had time for us and continued to make us feel loved & accepted as we stumbled through our teenage years. We were so proud of her when she defended her thesis and graduated with her PhD. Way to go Dr. Mom!
    Even though we have all been out of the house for over a decade, she continues to make us our favourite dishes/foods when we visit, or watch a movie / show we like, she even keeps their pool open throughout the summer in case one of us decides to have a spontaneous visit and swim.
    Moms really are the best thing in the world.