In Aruba & Magazine Feature

This morning, I started typing this post and was going to just have it go out with auto-publishing.  This is what I had written:

“I am sitting in the Atlanta airport.  It’s 7am eastern time Saturday morning.  I’ve been up for about 28 hours.  Joy!

I am scheduling this post to go out later today and by that time, I will hopefully have made it to Aruba and will be knee deep in unpacking this.”

But I changed my mind because I have news:

First, we did make it to Aruba!  We’re here!

I’ve unpacked.

And I’ve been up for 36+ hours.  Give or take, but who’s counting.

I’d been up for about 22 at this point.

And Skylar was going pretty strong, too!

Still dancing at 6:30am after being up since the.day.before.

Seriously, she’s such a great little traveler.  Didn’t even bat an eye when TSA did the full body scan on her.  She put her arms over her head and took it, like a champ.  I was the one whining.  About the smelly feet stench in the scanning area! Eww.

It’s a little overcast here in Aruba right now, but that’s okay because I am relishing in all the wonderful, amazing heartfelt comments, emails, well-wishes, and congratulations that everyone left for me (and Scott) on my post about our 10 Year Anniversary.

Thank you.

Thank you for sharing your own stories, and for appreciating my post and my honesty and for telling me it was meaningful or helpful to you.

Thanks as well to those of you who de-lurked and commented for the very first time.

I was just blown away at the amazing comments.  I had started to reply to some of them from the Atlanta airport but at this point, just know I am nodding in agreement with everyone since I don’t have time for all the personal comment replies I wish I could get to.

Scott was blown away at your kind words and the depth of stories many of you shared about what makes your relationships work and we both thank you for the great sharefest going on!

Onto my second bit of news (and, no I’m not pregnant.  I’m One-and-Done.)

The news is that Women’s Health Magazine featured my Purple Rain Smoothie Recipe!

It’s currently featured on their homepage and also with a direct link, here, under Make it Rain.

Between Women’s Health Mag and my new gig contributing for Marcus Samuelsson’s site, I just feel all kinds of wonderful and special with blog-related opportunities that have been popping up for me.  Maybe anniversary presents the Universe is handing out, of sorts.

Just wanted to share my news, let you know we arrived, thank you for all the wonderful anniversary wishes, and let you know that tomorrow I plan on sitting here.

Hopefully with a pina colada in hand!

1. Best thing you’ve ate or done so far this weekend?

May 14th is going down as a big day for me: celebrate 10 year wedding anniversary, travel to Aruba, and get featured in a magazine.

2. First thing you do when you get to your destination?

I have to unpack, everything.  I can’t just leave things half and half in a suitcase or in carryons.  It all must be put into place.

And we also swung through the local grocery store.  Fresh produce is a must after traveling.

See you tomorrow!

60 Responses to “In Aruba & Magazine Feature”

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — May 14, 2011 at 3:14 pm

So glad you’ve made it there safely! Skylar is just too cute. Congrats on the feature!

The best thing I’ve done this weekend has been… sitting down about 10 minutes ago. Seriously. I’ve been going nostop all day – I ran 9 miles, and then I organized/cleaned the house, went shopping, and got groceries. Although I have to get up to go make dinner right now, I’m not getting up off the couch after dinner for the rest of the night.

cathy — May 14, 2011 at 3:18 pm

CONGRATULATIONS on BOTH your blog and magazine features!
    i wish i looked as fresh and pretty as you after 22+ hours of travel!! :)
    so glad you’ve arrived at the best home-away-from-home. i can’t wait for to hear the news and see the photos in the upcoming days.
    have a wonderful evening!

Hannah — May 14, 2011 at 3:20 pm

Skylar is so cute!

When I get off a plane usually my first thought is food….or coffee. Or both. So I’ll grab something fast, and then once I get to where I’m staying I have to unpack first too!

VeggieGirl — May 14, 2011 at 3:21 pm

Skylar is a rockstar :D

Best thing I’ve done this weekend will occur tonight = fun party happening!

First thing I do when I get to my destination is plug in my laptop and other electronics.

Sunday Baker — May 14, 2011 at 3:25 pm

Congrats on your magazine feature. How exciting! Best thing I’ve eaten this weekend- grilled vegetables and chicken my hubby made for dinner tonight. Yum

Best thing I’ve done this weekend-started a great book that I can’t put down-love that!

:) Tanya

Susan — May 14, 2011 at 3:56 pm

I hope you are in Aruba safe and sound! Congrats on the mag recipe!

katie — May 14, 2011 at 3:57 pm

AHHHHH CONGRATS ABOUT THE MAGAZINE! you deserve it- you are still sucha super woman in my eyes!!! you ROCK girl!!! ahhhh have so much fun in aruba.. i love reading about your adventures! love you girl!

Holly @ The Runny Egg — May 14, 2011 at 4:53 pm

How cool to be on the WH website!

I’m glad you made it safe and sound!

kris @ everyday oats — May 14, 2011 at 4:56 pm

Congrats on your WH feature!!! How exciting!

First thing I do when I get to my destination is unpack also. It drives me nuts to be unorganized. I just feel so much more relaxed when everything is in its place.

Have fun in Aruba!

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} — May 14, 2011 at 5:11 pm

Congrats on the magazine feature!! And have a wonderful, relaxing time! :-)

Lauren — May 14, 2011 at 5:20 pm

So exciting about the magazine! I hope you got to Aruba safely! Have a blast!!!

Sam @ the neurotic yogini — May 14, 2011 at 5:41 pm

So so jealous of your trip! I wanna be on a beach with a Pina Colada! Sooooon! :) Have fun! Once again, Skylar is looking suuuper cute, even exhausted she’s still got that pretty smile! :)

Bria @ West of Persia — May 14, 2011 at 5:59 pm

So glad you made it safely. Enjoy your trip, and congrats on your 10 year anny, the magazine feature, and all of the new and exciting ventures. :-)

Ela — May 14, 2011 at 6:08 pm

Congratulations! You really are hitting the big time–that’s so awesome.
    Fresh produce is a must after traveling–amen!
    Lots of rest and sunshine to you!

Katie — May 14, 2011 at 6:29 pm

omg Averie that is so awesome!!!! Congrats love!! Good things happen to good people! So great about purple rain being featured!!

oh my you guys up that long! WOW! I can see Skylar is just beyond tired but once you get past the tired , you are just delirious! lol!

love you ! Glad you guys made it safe!!

Tara — May 14, 2011 at 6:32 pm

Hi! I just found your blog this morning through Twitter (it was mentioned by Women’s Health!) and I am kind of obsessed! I recently found out that I have an allergy to yeast and an intolerance to wheat (I’m 24 and my face has recently developed a permanent red tint, which led to an allergy test), and was kind of stressed thinking “OH MY GOD I’M GOING TO STARVE!” but now I’m excited by lots of the recipes you have displayed! Enjoy Aruba, and I look forward to more posts :).

Katie — May 14, 2011 at 6:35 pm

Happy Anniversary! I love your story. Everyone has their own special story. And a lot of the time romances that work aren’t “traditional”- whatever that means! I have been married 5 years, together for 8, and have a 4 yr old son. (we got married and i was pregnant ! :O Have a wonderful vacation- I’m jealous !!
    Katie

Jess (In My Healthy Opinion) — May 14, 2011 at 6:36 pm

I just saw your anniversary post… HUGE congratulations to you and Scott, Averie! That is so amazing, and your post to him was incredibly sweet. :) Wishing you many, many more happy, healthy years together! Glad you made it safely to Aruba… and more congrats on your wonderful blog opportunities! You certainly deserve them! :)

sara — May 14, 2011 at 7:23 pm

glad you made it to your destination, now time to have fun! i’m with you, gotta unpack immediataly when traveling. as soon as we get checked in i am taking those bibles and yellow pages out of the night stand to make room for my socks and underwear :) i share a suitcase with my kids, so i have to separate all their stuff from mine and try to keep some kind of order!

congrats on your writing features too, very impressive!

Erica — May 14, 2011 at 7:25 pm

yayyyyyyyyyy! Glad you made it. And congrats on the feature! That is so, so exciting!! Enjoy the beach! Best thing I did this weekend? Ate frozen yogurt for dinner last night with Josh :) Best thing I ate?? frozen yogurt haha

Emily — May 14, 2011 at 8:05 pm

Congrats on having you smoothie posted! That is really awesome!
    The best thing I’ve done this weekend was going shopping and getting pedicures with my mama! :)

Julia — May 14, 2011 at 8:20 pm

Everything looks wonderful! Congradulations on everything! That’s absolutely wonderful all of the potitive things you have in your life right now. Keep it going! (of course you will). The best thing I’ve done so far this weekend is work on my farm. Although it’s hard work, it is well worth it. The first thing I do when I get to my destination is thank the Universe for getting me there.

sophia — May 14, 2011 at 8:25 pm

You look pretty good for someone who hasn’t slept for a day, Averie! I’m so happy for you and all these doors opening up to you. You deserve it! :-)

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit — May 14, 2011 at 9:01 pm

I love universal presents! Congrats on the Women’s health magazine mention, that’s so fantastic.

Katie — May 14, 2011 at 10:05 pm

I am just sitting down today after a whirlwind, but I jsut read your post about your anniversary. CONGRATS!! It is seriously amazing, and I can’t imagine having what you have with Scott; you are lucky and blessed with both him and Skylar.

Still super proud of you and the accomplishments on your blog in the last few months.

I think you know what the best part of my weekend was…walking across that stage this morning! I’m DONE!!

Katelyn — May 14, 2011 at 11:34 pm

Congrats on everything: anniversary, vacay and magazine feature!! I hope you have a great time in Aruba. It’s funny you mentioned needing to unpack everything when you arrive – I used to be like that, but I’ve been traveling so much for work lately I dont have the energy, I literally live out of a suitcase. Not ideal. I hope to get back into my old habits soon. Your 10 year anniversary post was so nice to read, it’s hard to explain, but basically it made me smile :) Go enjoy yourself!!

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) — May 15, 2011 at 12:31 am

So glad you are safely in Aruba! Skylar is much better at traveling than I am, lol.

Congrats on womens health feature!! So happy for you. :)

Hopefully by now you are really enjoying your vacay!

susan — May 15, 2011 at 1:33 am

Congratulations on the Women’s Health recipe!! Well done you, sounds like the universe is really giving back to you, you deserve it, you give so much in your blog to so many people. I was just thinking you may like the book “The Game of Life”. Enjoy your anniversary with Scott and have a super wonderful time in the sunshine in Aruba.

jodie — May 15, 2011 at 5:54 am

Congrats on the feature and glad you made it safely. Happy anniversary as well.
    I have to unpack first as well. I have not eaten anything yet that has knocked my socks off. But I wll try your purple smoothie.

Have fun on your trip.

Heather (Where's the Beach) — May 15, 2011 at 6:45 am

Very cool on the article!! Glad you guys made it safe and sound. I love that Skylar is such a trooper of a traveler especially at her age!

Christine (The Raw Project) — May 15, 2011 at 8:23 am

That awesome about women’s health magazine, congrats! And what a long journey to Aruba, glad you made it safely! The weather is windy and overcast here too.

1. Chocolate mouse and successful raw dishes for a baby shower.
    2. Relax and/or run out to snap pictures and explore the hotel. I’ve never been a huge unpacker, but tend to live out of my suitcase while on vacation since it’s never for that long and I fear I’ll forget something in the re-packing process. It would be different if it was staying somewhere for a few weeks though!

Megan@eatmybeets — May 15, 2011 at 8:49 am

Congrats on the women’s health magazine post! I looove that magazine!

The Cilantropist — May 15, 2011 at 9:03 am

Averie that is fantastic news! Womens Health has a lot of fabulous readers, and I can say from experience (they have featured my recipes recently too! yay!) that their audience will love your smoothie! Just the kind of healthy treat for healthy women. :D Glad to see you made it to Aruba safe and sound, now you should just kick your feet up and relax!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — May 15th, 2011 at 10:47 am

Hey Amanda, thanks for saying hi! I wish I could have seen you at the bake sale, but alas, I’ll take Aruba over the bake sale. Just sayin :) But I hope someone bought a nutella brownie of mine. If they didnt, don’t tell me. lol

Glad to hear you’ve had some of your recipes picked up by WHM, too. That’s so awesome and thx for the tidbit about their audience likely loving my smoothie recipe.

T.C. — May 15, 2011 at 9:39 am

Congrats on your 10 years & for the magazine feature – WOW!
    Hope you & Fam. have a wonderful vacation and enjoy the beauty that surrounds you! : )

Mary @ Bites and Bliss — May 15, 2011 at 2:03 pm

It’s great she’s a good traveler. I cried everytime I had to fly until I realized it wasn’t that bad. and flying THAT far? Nuh uh, forget it! haha I would have pitched a FIT!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — May 15, 2011 at 3:09 pm

Gahhhhh, I want to go to a beach!!! I am seriously heading to expedia right after this comment to check out the deals!

Skylar is just the sweetest thing!!!

melissa @ the delicate place — May 15, 2011 at 5:06 pm

congrats on the magazine feature! i hope you are having an amazing and relaxing time in aruba!!! you deserve it!

Pure2raw twins — May 15, 2011 at 5:43 pm

congrats on the magazine girl! that is awesome, you deserve all the happiness, have fun!

Beth — May 16, 2011 at 6:15 am

Travelling through multiple airports is always a *joy*, but your family seems to take it all in stride.

Congrats on getting your Purple Rain smoothie published, as well as the content you are putting out on Marcus Samuelson’s site. Woo-Hoo!

When arriving in Barbados, these are our priorities: 1) buy duty-free rum at the airport while waiting for our luggage 2) swim in the sea 3) unpack 4) watch the sunset 5) head out for happy hour & dinner

Beth — May 16, 2011 at 6:20 am

That casserole looks heavenly. I’ve already printed it and will make it this week. We are back to cooler temps and rain. Blech! Did you make this before you left for Aruba?

Casserole dishes were a big staple when I was growing up. Especially tuna casserole, baked mac & cheese, and a beef stroganoff knock-off dish.

Chili has become our recent favourite go to for the weekends. Tastes great & easy to warm up after being at the paintball field all day.

• Beth replied: — May 16th, 2011 at 6:24 am

Oops! I mean to post this on your “Cheesy Taco Casserole” post.

Peter — May 16, 2011 at 7:21 pm

thats lovely, I would like to share a good true story. it is from the Egyptian revolution and the writers are the real heroes of the story!
    here it is

Amber K — May 17, 2011 at 7:52 am

I went to a breakfast place while on my vacation that served gluten-free pancakes. I didn’t get my hopes up, but they were AMAZING. Probably better than any other pancake I’ve ever eaten. Too bad, I was so far away from home!

I unpack first too, it helps me able to enjoy the rest of the vacation, knowing that everything is put away.

4403202 — May 21, 2011 at 3:03 am

4403202 beers on the wall.

Indoor Furniture Manufacturer — May 21, 2011 at 7:50 am

An interesting dialogue is price comment. I feel that you need to write more on this subject, it may not be a taboo topic however usually people are not enough to talk on such topics. To the next. Cheers

pick up artist — May 21, 2011 at 9:23 am

My accomplice and I really enjoyed reading this weblog publish, I used to be simply itching to know do you commerce featured posts? I’m all the time looking for someone to make trades with and merely thought I might ask.

aerial installers — May 21, 2011 at 9:58 am

I really like your blog.. very nice colors & theme. Did you create this website yourself or did you hire someone to do it for you? Plz reply as I’m looking to design my own blog and would like to find out where u got this from. many thanks

Cartier Love — May 21, 2011 at 10:31 am

I guess there’s always an easier way …

spring cleaning hertfordshire — May 21, 2011 at 10:49 am

great info. I love looking around the web when I am not cleaning the house finding interesting blogs and information like this. Great to see some off the wall posts rather than the normal same old posts that are everywhere. oh well better get back to the cleaning!

how teeth whitening works — May 11, 2013 at 11:20 pm

Wonderful goods from you, man. I have understand your stuff previous to and you are just extremely fantastic.
    I really like what you’ve acquired here, really like what you are saying and the way in which you say it. You make it entertaining and you still care for to keep it wise. I can not wait to read much more from you. This is really a terrific site.