Inspiration & Greener Grass

I hope you all had a nice Cinco de Mayo and no one is nursing any tequilla hangovers.  And if you are, just keep drinking.  It’s already Friday anyway.

I didn’t have anything to drink last night.  Other than water.  I’m such a party animal, I know.

I did eat some plants.

I dressed them with homemade Creamy Honey Mustard Dressing

And I ate fruit.  In the form of mango inside cookie dough.

White Chocolate & Mango Cookie Dough Bites

I’m also participating in the San Diego Food Blogger Bake Sale

Gaby of What’s Gaby Cooking started the blogger bake sale last year in an effort to end childhood hunger.

The bake sale idea has grown and there are blogger-run bake sales going on in many cities across the country.  Here’s Gaby’s list of 2011 cities and info.

So on Saturday, May 14 check to see if you can go out and sample the treats of local bloggers in your area and support a wonderful cause in the process!  In San Diego, it’s at Great News in Pacific Beach from 2-4pm as the flyer indicates.  C’mon out! And you can see (and sample) what I made!

From my last post about What I’d bring to a Fiesta, I am glad you enjoyed that one.  It’s fun to include some non-food items, too.  Lots of you said you liked the sundress.  Me too.  I want it!

And thanks for letting me know what you bring to parties or if you were doing any Cinco de Mayo celebrating.

1. Inspiration and Who Inspires yYou?

When I was writing the Super Natural Everyday cookbook review, I was struck by how inspired I am by both Heidi and Helene.  Those women inspire me, greatly.

Some days I wonder what I am doing and what my purpose is when I:

read their blogs

see the recipes they create

see the food they make

gaze at the beautiful photographs that they take

read the books they’ve written

I want to be like them both when I grow up!

I am inspired by people, especially women, who have forged their own path in life; who are working in non-traditional fields, who are making a living and a name for themselves doing what they want to do, without the rules of big business and corporations and society telling them, oh, you can’t do that.  Oh yes, I can.  And watch me. Those are the women who inspire me!

Who inspires you on your life path?

2. How certain are you of your life path?  Are you doing what you want to be doing?

I am still not sure of my life path in terms of career, work, what I want to be doing in 5 or 10 years, and balancing it with raising Skylar.  Parenthood, if nothing else, forces one to abandon rigid plans and just go with life’s flow much more.  Period.

So, yes, I wonder what the future holds for me.  Then again, no one ever really “knows”.  Life is a journey and just about the time you think you have things sort of figured out, it all changes!

I am happy where I am at in life, but of course always wonder if I would I be happier with xyz or what will happen.

Yoga reminds me to live in the present and try not to worry, stress, or over-plan for the future.  No need to cross any bridges that aren’t necessary and to be happy in the present.

3. Are you a The Grass is Greener type person?  Or are you content with what is, what you have now, where you’re at now with everything from your job to your relationships to your body image to where you live, etc.?

I used to be such a grass is greener person.  As I have gotten older, I have realized it’s probably not greener.  And even if it is, there’s nothing I can likely do about the current situation, anyway.

I have made plenty of decisions in life that came from a grass is green perspective and usually those decisions have blown up in my face.  Case in point, moving to Phoenix to buy a house because I wanted to be a homeowner at all costs and could afford property there, but everything else was a horrible fit, for me, and I hated it there.

Nine months later and lots of debt later (now debt free!), we were back in San Diego.  The grass was not greener and it was a huge lesson learned.

However, sometimes the grass is greener.  Sometimes there is something better, something more fitting, a path that better suits us, something that the Universe has in store for us but we have to do some major soul searching and take some big leaps of faith on the if-come that yes, that grass over there is greener and better.

Case in point for me include things like changing my college major at the eleventh hour to quitting jobs that I didn’t like without having other ones lined up.

So, some deepish thoughts for a Friday, but maybe it will give you something to think about on a weekend workout or some downtime.

Hope you all are able to enjoy the weather and get some R & R in this weekend!

I’d like to stop and smell a few roses.

P.S. Don’t forget to enter the Granola Giveaway.   Winner announced early Saturday.

60 Responses to “Inspiration & Greener Grass”

Kristina @ spabettie — May 6, 2011 at 12:12 am

I don’t think I’ve ever been a grass is greener type, but I have definitely changed my life path a few times, and I would not want to change a thing! first several years out of college I pursued my career 110%, was single and traveling and having FUN! I have since settled down, slowed down, exchanged my expense accounts and big salaries for a calm and balanced life – which is exactly what I need now.

you are right – life is a journey – we should all enjoy every moment! Happy Friday!!

Emma (Namaste Everyday) — May 6, 2011 at 12:51 am

I need to focus on living in the moment more. Thanks for reminding me! :)

Jess@HealthyExposures — May 6, 2011 at 2:48 am

The bake sale sounds like such a good idea for a great cause. I love where I live and all – but I do wish I was closer to “civilization” so that I could take part in events such as that!
    Such good questions today. I’m sitting on the inspiration ones.
    As for grass is greener…I don’t think I see life like that…although I’m not sure that I’m content, either. Am I happy with where I am and what I have now? Yes, absolutely – but at the same time, I think I’m still too young to just be “content.” does that make sense?

I just noticed your RSS feed is not working properly, Thought I should inform you.

cheap software store — May 6, 2011 at 2:55 am

Finally, an issue that I am passionate about. I have looked for information of this caliber for the last several hours. Your site is greatly appreciated.

cathy — May 6, 2011 at 3:31 am

i LIKE these deep thoughts for a friday! thanks for sharing your experiences and philosophy, averie.
    i could write a thousand words in response!!! but the short version: i am totally learning to appreciate living in the moment…i’ve always been a planner, always looked ahead…the last while, i’ve been focussing on today, on the short term…complete change of philosophy! it’s a work in progress.
    i’m inspired by people who JUST DO IT: if you want to do something, make it happen.
    have a great friday – hope it’s sunny in SD!
    p.s. if anyone knows how to turn off this “new theme-linen” link, and how to get a proper link to my blog, i’d be eternally grateful!!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — May 6th, 2011 at 3:50 am

go to the commentluv website and read the directions, i recall seeing it there how to clear out the wrong post. or just google it, i know it’s there. i remember reading about the fix about a year ago when that was happening to me :)

VeggieGirl — May 6, 2011 at 3:36 am

1.) I’m inspired most by my loved ones. They keep me going :)

2.) Not totally sure. We’ll see what happens.

3.) I don’t like the “grass is greener” take on things… I love what I have now and don’t wish for something else. Just gotta stay positive, ’tis all for me.

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) — May 6, 2011 at 4:57 am

I am still trying to figure out where and what I want to be. We are about to make some huge changes in our life here and I know it will be for the better and hopefully set us up for a better path. I think we are always evolving, so I can’t say I will ever be where I want to be since I think that always changes as we change. I hope to figure things out soon though.

Heather (Where's the Beach) — May 6, 2011 at 5:28 am

Great post. I try to not be the grass is greener kind of person. You never know what some else is truly going through in their life no matter how nice things appear on the exterior.

Holly @ The Runny Egg — May 6, 2011 at 6:15 am

Thanks for the blog sale info — I hadn’t heard of that!

To be honest I don’t know what my life path is right now. I feel like I’m doing the same things every day and I so want things to change. I’m trying to be patient and I’m trying to explore different interests. I have never really known what I want to do with my life or where I want to be — these are things I feel like I should have explored years ago, but I’m doing it now and we’ll see where it takes me!

Sometimes the grass is greener, but I try to be content and thankful for the grass I do have :)

Leineriza @ Back to the Roots — May 6, 2011 at 7:28 am

Maybe in my youth (okay, high school!), I always thought the Grass is Greener over at my aunt’s house. After all, our family barely scraped by. It’s a testament to my parents’ goodness that we grew up without the “Keeping up with the Jones” mentality. Still, growing up poor inspired my siblings and me to work hard in school.

Now, I can really say, the grass is just as green here in my own backyard. I’m doing the stuff that I like (working from home as a freelance writer) and I’m having fun times with my hubby (no kids yet, alas!).

Thanks for the Questions post, Averie. It gave me a starting point for self-reflection for this weekend!

Katie — May 6, 2011 at 7:52 am

I think I’ve finally gotten to a point where I am content with where I am and what I am doing. It helps that I am embarking a new life, though. I am getting so EXCITED!!!! I can’t concentrate on anything else.

McKella — May 6, 2011 at 7:53 am

A lot of people inspire me. Lately I’m loving Laura Hollick at http://soulartstudio.com/ because I’m a creative soul through and through, and her words are really helping me overcome blocks and get connected. I’m also inspired by real people who lead healthy lifestyles, like you!
    I’m finally getting some clarity about my life path, my purpose, and my career. This has been the craziest month, but I’ve been writing and painting up a storm, taking tons of walks and growing so much.
    I love that you put questions at the end of every post, they always get me thinking!

avtobazar — May 6, 2011 at 8:02 am

Nice topic – respect !

Kim- Liv Life — May 6, 2011 at 8:35 am

Wonderful to “meet” you Averie!! I truly enjoyed your post and identify with much of it. We seem to be in “similar” places… except you are far more fit than I!! ;) So sad you will not be at the Food Blogger Bake Sale, but I’m looking forward to meeting another time, thanks for getting us all motivated!

Mary (What's Cookin' with Mary) — May 6, 2011 at 8:48 am

A lot of deeps thoughts in this post Averie… This post is def one of the many reasons I keep coming back. As I have gotten older, I have learned that the grass is def not always greener. Sometimes once you get there, you realized it was just trimmed differently and it turns out… I don’t even like it that way. …if that makes any sense…? …or that it looked greener from 100 miles away and when standing right next to it, I realize it was a mirage. I’d say the most important thing I’ve learned is that I need to worry less about the future (and/ or the past) & focus on the here and the now. If you’re always looking 5 steps ahead, you (you=me) tend to miss out on things that are right under your nose. Loved these deep thoughts on a Friday :) Hope you have a great weekend!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — May 6th, 2011 at 2:03 pm

“This post is def one of the many reasons I keep coming back.”–thanks for lmk. Sometimes I wonder what is of interest to everyone..glad this was of interest to you :)

Heidi @ Food Doodles — May 6, 2011 at 8:55 am

I’m inspired all the time, but one major person I can think of is a lady that lives here. She built everything herself from the ground up entirely by herself after her husband left her. It’s really incredible. When I see her I realize that bad situations are all what you make them. Good can come out of anything.
    I don’t do the grass is greener outlook. I can see how things might be better(a hubby that eats chocolate, more money, etc), but I’m completely content with where I’m at. And I never long for things that I don’t/can’t have. I would never trade my husband or any relationships for any reason. Being a really young family with one income and owning a house, I know it would be nice to be able to afford anything extra. But we don’t try to “keep up” with anyone and that is such a nice feeling. I feel one of the most important things I can show my kids is how to be happy with what they have not what they want in everything, whether it’s their own body image, or money or relationships.

Beth — May 6, 2011 at 9:02 am

That is very inspirational and such a good cause.

Your blog and chock-a-block life is an inspiration to me :)

Life path is still pretty much up in the air. There are many things that I still want to do, and places I would like to go. For now I’m enjoying each day where I happen to be (that is the office today) and getting outside in the sun & fresh air as often as I can.

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — May 6th, 2011 at 2:05 pm

“chock-a-block life”– ok have never heard that expression. What does it mean? :)

• Beth replied: — May 6th, 2011 at 5:07 pm

LOL
        Very busy & action packed.

How do you find the time for it all?

Amber K — May 6, 2011 at 9:29 am

I don’t think I’m on the path I’m meant to be on, but my problem is that I don’t know what path I DO want to be on! Well, I do know that I want children, and I do know that it’s not working out right now. But what I want to do for now is what escapes me. As I’m trying to figure it out, I try and get inspired by the people around me, the bloggers I read, and anyone who has found their true passion.

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — May 6th, 2011 at 2:06 pm

“I don’t think I’m on the path I’m meant to be on, but my problem is that I don’t know what path I DO want to be on!”–you and 99% of the rest of us!

Lauren@LittleYellowKitchen — May 6, 2011 at 10:35 am

Guuuurl, I’m only 23 sometimes I feel like the good part of my life is over. What the heck am I doing? I work at a job that pays the bills but is not particularly wonderful. I just have to remind myself that it’s just a lull and things will get better w/ time.

I think we would all agree, if blogging paid well we would do it forever and possibly even do it better w/ more tools to do so. You aren’t alone on those thoughts! :)

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — May 6th, 2011 at 2:07 pm

yes on the whole blogging thing. just now after TWO YEARS and two posts a day starting to see some financial reward but nothing i could ever quit my day job for…lol

and life over at 23??! Omg no!!! this is a great time in your life…no man, no mortgage, no kids…just you and whatever you want to do…embrace it, please!! :)

Maria @ Scandifoodie — May 6, 2011 at 10:59 am

So glad to have found your blog! Your positive energy and photos are inspirational!

Jen — May 6, 2011 at 12:01 pm

Your creamy honey mustard dressing looks better than anything store bought!!!

Kate @ NaturaStride — May 6, 2011 at 12:42 pm

What a great post! This was a nice read on a hectic friday.
    First – thanks for the honey-mustard dressing idea. Just today I went out to grab lunch and inspected an individual honey-mustard dressing packet and was so annoyed when one of the first ingredients I read was HFCS. (I think I may have even stomped my foot.)
    1) My Dad inspires me! He served in the Army for 30 years and can honestly say he loved his job every single day. I think that’s amazing and is what I strive for since I know it’s possible!
    2) I am getting to where I want to be on my life path. I love this question because about a year ago I truly examined my life and decided to eliminate all the things in my life that didn’t make me happy. Working on it and feeling great.
    3) I’m not a grass is greener person; however I do continue to look forward to see what else is out there for me in life. But, I do have to force myself on occasion to relax and appreciate all the wonderful things around me.
    Thanks and have a great weekend :)

chocolate-covered katie — May 6, 2011 at 1:24 pm

YOU inspire me. I’m so not kidding. You are always so kind… and to everyone, little and big bloggers alike. You always leave us all such positive comments, and it puts huge smiles on our faces. Or mine, at least!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — May 6th, 2011 at 2:09 pm

thanks, Katie! I give 110% of myself to my blog and this community and the friends I have made so thank you for saying this :)

xo

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit — May 6, 2011 at 1:33 pm

Are you doing what you want to be doing? Not really… well, I am, but I haven’t been able to focus on it as much as I would like. Time for change!

Christine (The Raw Project) — May 6, 2011 at 3:27 pm

That’s awesome about the bake sale!

1. I’m inspired by similar women who have thrown out social pressures and found peace in their own path. Kris Carr is a big inspiration to me since I’m finally getting around to reading her new book.
    2. Much more certain as I get older, I spent too many years in my 20s feeling uncertain of where I should go feeling pressured to start a family, push my career, etc. But I’ve become more comfortable with going with what works for me.
    3. Yes because I’m thankful for what I have, no because I tend overstress at times when work and life get crazy … like the last few weeks.

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — May 6, 2011 at 4:18 pm

I am never a “grass is greener” kind of person. I am completely happy and content with my life, what I have, and what I don’t have. I don’t take anything in life for granted.

I didn’t have anything to drink but water yesterday either :-)

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — May 6th, 2011 at 6:48 pm

from your last comment that you bring booze and great dessert to parties…i need to come to your parties!

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) — May 6, 2011 at 5:58 pm

I have grass-is-greener tendencies but like you, as I get older, they are far less often. Not that I am complacent, but practical and focusing more on stability. The older I get, the more I want peace, not chaos and uncertainty, so I tend to work with what I have and only change what is absolutely necessary and on my own terms if possible. But sometimes I just need a total makeover of something and throw all security to the wind and go for it, because I’m also a risk-taker. I just know how to size up my risks a little better than I did when I was 16. ;)

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — May 6th, 2011 at 6:48 pm

“The older I get, the more I want peace, not chaos and uncertainty, so I tend to work with what I have and only change what is absolutely necessary and on my own terms if possible. “– omg we are soul sisters.

risk mgmt skills improve with age, oh, indeed :)

Jenna @ Healthy. Happy. Well. — May 6, 2011 at 6:43 pm

I find myself being grass is greener every so often… i usually tame my urge to make a life change with a new piercing or a tattoo though… solves my problem for the time being. =) Blogging women always inspire me as they always have something out of the box to say. Have a lovely weekend!

Marcia @Frugal Healthy Simple — May 6, 2011 at 8:16 pm

Definitely tend to be more content with the way things are. Not that I don’t strive for better.

“It’s not having what you want, it’s wanting what you’ve got!”

Mastering Public Health (@MasPublicHealth) — May 6, 2011 at 9:30 pm

Thank you for this post about inspiration. I love these deep thoughts! Especially like where you said: “I am inspired by people, especially women, who have forged their own path in life…doing what they want to do, without the rules of big business and corporations and society telling them, oh, you can’t do that. Oh yes, I can. And watch me.” To be honest, YOU are one person who inspires me! I tend to get involuntarily anxious (or WORRY about being anxious) and over-think things at times but you always remind us all not to “sweat the small stuff” so I strive to keep that in mind. Sometimes, I think of all the inspirational women whose blogs I read and “WW_D?” pops into my head in random situations. Anyway, your take-charge attitude has helped inspire me to finally make a big travel decision (which is actually to head all the way to Southern CA to visit a friend)! So, thank you. ‘Bout time, after all my envying of your scenic photos! Guess this is my attempt to see if the grass really IS greener. :D

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — May 7th, 2011 at 4:29 am

this is the nicest, most wonderful comment..thank you!

i am glad to know I somehow help you and inspire you.. such high praise…thanks!

and your trip to so cal…wooo-hoo!! :)

James@Chainsaw reviews — May 6, 2011 at 11:04 pm

Well, it seems like your love for veggies brings out too much of delights for our eyes, yet what is the sad part for many of us is that our mouths are left watering with out having the exotic delights to stuff our mouths with.

Get Skinny, Go Vegan. — May 8, 2011 at 10:14 am

I think the Yoga peeps inspire me. The ones who can fast & not overeat. And don’t watch bad TV or do Asanas instead of Avocados during stress!

Best Flight Simulator — May 11, 2011 at 8:59 pm

Usually I do not read article on blogs, but I would like to say that this write-up very forced me to try and do it! Your writing style has been amazed me. Thanks, quite nice article.