Moon & Beach

I have previously posted before about Full Moons but Gina was kind enough to bring up a comment of mine on her earlier post today, so I thought I’d touch on it for new readers.

Full moons are known for contributing to everything from insomnia, sleep disturbances, irritability, moodiness, heated interpersonal exchanges, to computers and tech-related things being glitchy and malfunctioning.

More info here

And I’ve also posted a full moon list of things to do and try

During a Full Moon, the world is filled with excess prana, or life force energy. Technological or mechanical glitches are notorious during Full Moons.   Computer problems, car problems, appliances breaking.

For example, during this month’s full moon my ice maker in my fridge broke and the next month during a full moon my microwave broke.

Those who are traditional yogis don’t tend to practice during full moons because although we feel we “have tons of energy” to practice, it’s not a calm and centered energy.  It’s more of a manic, chaotic energy and we are prone to emotional upset like crying or feeling very uncerented if we practice when the moon is full.

Conversely, during new moons where there is excess apana (downward pulling energy) we don’t typical practice because we are much more heavy-filling, sluggish, tired, and just don’t have the uplifting energy to sustain a nice practice.

But full moons are not all about glitches and insomnia and excess energy.  Many people believe that Full Moons are a time of good luck and good fortune.

Good luck like the sun coming out a bit and being able to hit up the beach!

All photos taken on Palm Beach, in front of the Hyatt Aruba about 1/2 mile from my house

It’s been a little overcast but nothing like all the rain we had the last time we were here!

We used to go out on sunset sails and dive trips on those boats.  Thinking about doing it again, actually!

From my last post about Redecorating my House here in Aruba, thanks for the kind words on my el cheapo redecorating efforts!  The room feels so much bigger, and better, now that I made over the space and got a great deal on that new sofa.

Thanks for filling me in on how you like to redecorate and personalize your own spaces.

1. Have you noticed any full moon effects this month?

I have!  Skylar has been a little moody the past few days.  I find that kids are generally more in touch with natural world phenomenon than adults so not surprising there have been a few ahem moments.

And I have been staying up super late (common for me) but have had excess energy for my workouts but also feel a bit like my head is spinning and not totally a grounded energy.

Part of that could be the long journey and travel here to Aruba, but also, partially the full moon effects are at play, too I’d say.

2. When was the last time you were at the beach?

Tell me about it!

Have a great evening, everyone!

P.S. Thanks for all the entries on my $50 Ecolissa GiveawayKeep ‘em coming!

51 Responses to “Moon & Beach”

Jordan P — May 17, 2011 at 1:50 pm

my last trip to the beach was Easter weekend, and there is nothing comparable to relaxing on the sand with the person you love and a few quality beverages!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) — May 17, 2011 at 1:56 pm

I can’t even remember the last time I went to the beach. That is sad! I wondered why Tony and I aren’t sleeping well. It seems to happen every time the moon is full. He is crazy busy too, so I will take that as a lucky sign! Enjoy the rest of your day Averie!

Holly @ The Runny Egg — May 17, 2011 at 1:58 pm

I have felt an extreme amount of stress for the past few days and I have been crying more than usual — whatever the explanation is, all I know is that I wish I could get over these overwhelming feelings!

I haven’t been to a beach in I don’t know how long. It is really sad!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — May 17th, 2011 at 2:08 pm

crying, carrying on, and fit pitching over simple things has been, ahem, happening here too :)

it will all pass soon..and til then, make some of those cheezy crackers. I am dreaming of those for when i get back home! i didnt bring nooch, the horrors, and the oven is unpredictable here anyway. lol

Christine (The Raw Project) — May 17, 2011 at 2:03 pm

Very interesting on full moon effects.

1. Sure, I’ve been feeling sick, a little cranky and tired. I blamed it on stress and missing hubby on business travel.
    2. Sadly it was on our trip to Maui in 2009 so I think I’m due! It was a great trip, but lots of humidity and rain.

Heidi @ Food Doodles — May 17, 2011 at 2:03 pm

I love when you mention the full moon, because I honestly don’t pay attention to it but now that you mention it yes we’re feeling the effects. The kids are a little crazier and we’re all having a harder time sleeping. And I’ve had so much energy for my workouts. Love the beach pictures! I haven’t been to the beach in forever except the beach at the lake near where we live. It’s a different kind of beautiful there :)

Michaela — May 17, 2011 at 2:25 pm

beautiful, simply beautiful!! I so can understand why you have bought a house in Aruba!!
    It was actually in October that I was on the beach the last time, and I find it very sad, as I am a beach-girl through and through!
    I am not having any trouble getting to sleep with the full moon, but I do feel the strange energy, like I never feel grounded or settled, I am always up and about.
    Hope you and your family will enjoy our holidays, but I am sure you will :)

Magda — May 17, 2011 at 2:32 pm

I practice ashtanga and I know that theoretically I shouldn’t practice on full moon days. But the explanation I heard is that people have more energy during these days, so they’re likely to perform better than usual, but also likely to push their limits too far, so it’s easy to injure yourself. Actually yesterday’s practice was great, some asanas seemed a lot easier than usual, and only after I finished my practice, I realized that the moon was full. My husband told me that his practice was very good too.

I have never heard about technical failures during full moon but now that I think about it, our internet connection went crazy yesterday and it was really hard to fix. Working OK today though :)

Have a great beach time :)

Ilana — May 17, 2011 at 2:48 pm

I was up ALL night tossing and turning, and when I read your comment on Gina’s blog this morning, I was like “OH DUH.” I went to a yoga class today (today is DAY 20 in a ROW!!) and I felt, as you wrote above, totally chaotic and all over the place, even though I felt full of buzzing energy. I got it together by the end-glad I did – but wow, that moon! Haha. I regularly cry in yoga practice, not today, but I just feel soooo strange, flying all over the place.

Hope you’re having fun in Aruba my beautiful friend! Happy anniversary (a few days late)! Love to Scott and Skylar!!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — May 17th, 2011 at 6:30 pm

I saw you comment on Gina’s post! Thanks for saying hi sweetie! :) Miss you and hope life is good for you xoxo

Jess@HealthyExposures — May 17, 2011 at 3:43 pm

At work, when we get a round of crazy requests and wacky phone calls, we always joke that “it must be a full moon.” Except it’s not really ever a joke because it always ends up being true! I actually didn’t realize there was one coming up, but that totally explains why we’ve been seriously seeing the loony bin in the shop lately :X I know, I know…that sounds awful. I don’t know how else to say it, though. Of course, the same people probably think I’m wacky too, so it all evens out :P
    Gorgeous beach pictures. I can’t remember the last time I was on one – and I don’t think I’ve ever been on a real one! (read: ocean, not lake.)

Emma (Namaste Everyday) — May 17, 2011 at 3:45 pm

I believe in the effects of moon days wholeheartedly. though it doesn’t necessarily make me avoid practicing ashtanga, it does make me understand why if I have an off practice.

melissa @ the delicate place — May 17, 2011 at 3:50 pm

my time of the month was a bit weird even though i’m on the pill!? i also had a sudden urge to do yoga last night after not doing any in over a month!

cathy — May 17, 2011 at 4:28 pm

i had forgotten about not practising yoga during a full moon til i read your comment on gina’s blog. fascinating. i am glad you carried on the discussion, here!
    my computer mouse glitched, but otherwise i’ve actually been feeling really centred the last couple of days – and happy!
    last beach visit – ARUBA in march – just down from the hyatt, there. ahhhh, memories!
    can’t wait for tomorrow’s update + photos! have a wonderful eve!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — May 17th, 2011 at 6:32 pm

“my computer mouse glitched,”–no way!

it’s overcast here but praying for perfect sun tomorrow for more pics!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — May 17, 2011 at 4:52 pm

We always notice that the children at school are a little wilder during a full moon :-)

Amy Wilson — May 17, 2011 at 5:20 pm

Hi there!
    I haven’t seen a full moon this month, yet.
    The last time I was at the beach would have been last summer! (I live in Canada)
    But hopefully in a few weeks I will be going to a beach!

I’m a new reader on your blog, and I just wanted to say that I find it incredibly inspiring.
    Even though I’ve only found it a few days ago I have been reading your posts like crazy, especially the fitness ones! And all I have to say is that you are another woman that inspires me with fitness and health. Since September I actually have lost 26 pounds because I was a bit over weight, and didn’t feel comfortable about my body and felt really unsure about my health! Along with Kathy Smith, Gillian Michaels, and the “Skinny Bitch” ladies.. you are now in my list of inspiring women!
    Keep up the good work!:)

Amy

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — May 17th, 2011 at 6:33 pm

thanks for finding me and reading, amy! so happy to have you reading, and congrats on your weight loss and journey to greater health. Glad i am helping to inspire you…thank you :)

Jess — May 17, 2011 at 5:45 pm

Beautiful photos, Averie!! Hope you’re having a GREAT week!!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — May 17, 2011 at 5:52 pm

So interesting – i believe in weird things like this. haha! I”m all about energy. This is so weird because now that I think about it, yesterday I was really out of it.. like TRULY out of it and cranky and had a headache. I couldn’t put my finger on anything I had done, ate, etc. I honestly felt like I had about 3 hours of sleep and my brain was all foggy.

Nicole @ Fresh & Fit — May 17, 2011 at 5:55 pm

Uggg… I am so envious of you right now! It is so cold where I am and the weather isn’t going to change anytime soon! (I actually turned the heat on today…Shhh don’t tell the BF) I haven’t been to the beach since last summer and even then, it was nothing like the beach you are at!

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) — May 17, 2011 at 6:23 pm

Beeeeeeautiful pics!! I haven’t been to the beach in years… decades! haha I’d love to visit again sometime soon. I’m not bathing suit material, though! :DAnd I totally think you SHOULD do everything you used to do that you enjoy!

Funny, there was full moon discussions at my aunt’s house a little while ago. People were blaming little glitches on it. I haven’t given full moons that kind of consideration in awhile! Dustin and I actually believe that a lot of things are in sync with the moon’s cycles, including weight fluctuations and things like that.

Tori (Fresh Fruition) — May 17, 2011 at 6:44 pm

I haven’t been to the beach since last summer! (Well, unless you count me getting on the wrong bus home from school and ending up at a beach somewhere instead. Nightmare!)

I’ll be off to the beach in a few weeks, though. Woo! I can’t wait! I’m going to be doing some road-tripping this summer :)

Bali beach — May 17, 2011 at 6:55 pm

wow.. nice pictures. really clean and beautiful beach. Anyway, I live in Bali, everyday I have a beach vacation everyday.. lol

Priyanka — May 17, 2011 at 6:57 pm

I am so glad you are in Aruba and having fun, you work hard and certainly deserve it.

I am just feeling weird in general, I don’t know if it is the moon effect but I have been sick all day.

My last beach vacation was two years ago in Maui. Oh how I miss that place, i could kill for a vacation right about now!

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit — May 17, 2011 at 7:23 pm

Kids pick up on the smallest shifts in the universe! They’re so in touch with what’s going on in the world, so I have no doubt that Skylar is acting up! I get very wound up a couple of days leading up to the full moon. Almost tense in a way. It’s the weirdest thing. It’s happened every full moon since I was a kid. Maybe in a previous life I died under a full moon?

Carol — May 17, 2011 at 8:44 pm

Hello, First of all let me say that i really enjoy your blog, and appreciate your recipes. I have noticed the past few days that i am completely scatterbrained and chaotic. Also, i have been tired and my kids are somewhat moody and tired too.

Alisa Fleming — May 17, 2011 at 9:36 pm

Beautiful pictures Averie! I do need to start keeping track of full moons and new moons as I would be curious about the effects. I haven’t watched closely, but I am sure if I did, there would be some interesting moods and things to note!

Emily — May 17, 2011 at 11:59 pm

Wow! Love all of this. Very, very interesting, lady!

Carol — May 18, 2011 at 8:53 am

As a middle school teacher, I can tell when there is a full moon! Our kids go crazy! They just do the silliest things. Our principal has also told us there are more office referrals during full moons and when the air pressure changes.

Amber K — May 18, 2011 at 9:18 am

I live only a couple of hours from the Oregon coast, so I go two-four times a year. Although, it’s been awhile!

I have never really thought about the moon cycle before, it’s actually really interesting. I had no idea!

Beth — May 18, 2011 at 4:47 pm

Glad the weather is more agreeable for you this trip.
    I love sunset cruises, but haven’t tried the diving. Might do that on our next trip.

Full moon effects: full moon combined with PMS has made things interesting this week

Last time I was at the beach: March 26th 11am. Getting in a last beach walk & swim before packing up and leaving Barbados. Great memories.

852316 — May 21, 2011 at 2:58 am

852316 beers on the wall.

Small Business SEO — May 21, 2011 at 6:41 am

I do like the manner in which you have presented this specific issue plus it really does present me a lot of fodder for thought. However, through just what I have observed, I simply wish when other feedback stack on that men and women continue to be on issue and don’t embark upon a soap box involving the news of the day. Yet, thank you for this superb point and though I do not really agree with this in totality, I regard the perspective.

Trackers Essex — May 21, 2011 at 7:42 am

Together with every little thing that seems to be building within this subject matter, many of your points of view happen to be very exciting. Nevertheless, I am sorry, because I do not subscribe to your whole idea, all be it radical none the less. It seems to me that your opinions are actually not completely rationalized and in actuality you are yourself not really wholly convinced of the assertion. In any event I did enjoy looking at it.

aerial fitters — May 21, 2011 at 9:39 am

I love your blog.. very nice colors & theme. Did you design this website yourself or did you hire someone to do it for you? Plz respond as I’m looking to create my own blog and would like to know where u got this from. cheers

pick up artist — May 21, 2011 at 10:05 am

Definitely one of many challenges which people beginning a new on-line company face is that of acquiring visitors to their net site.

carpet cleaning hertfordshire — May 21, 2011 at 10:29 am

great info. I love looking around the web when I am not cleaning the house finding interesting blogs and information like this. Great to see some off the wall posts rather than the normal same old posts that are everywhere. oh well better get back to the cleaning!

Cartier Love — May 21, 2011 at 10:43 am

Good information here. I really enjoy reading them every day. I’ve learned a lot from them.Thanks so much for sharing this information. Greatly help me being a newbie.

marijuana strains — May 21, 2011 at 3:18 pm

The varsity my sister is attending has vocational nursing and cardiovascular technician training. I think she is taking the course for vocational nursing.

marijuana classes — May 21, 2011 at 4:51 pm

I gotta bookmark this website it seems very beneficial invaluable.

play zuma slots — May 21, 2011 at 7:22 pm

Thanks a ton for sharing your ideas. Being author, I am always in need of fresh and different ways to think about a matter. I actually uncover fantastic creativity in doing this. Thank you again

SLR Nikon Camera — May 21, 2011 at 9:54 pm

I’m still learning from you, as I’m trying to reach my goals. I definitely love reading all that is written on your site.Keep the posts coming. I enjoyed it!

Donna Lory.

seo content — May 22, 2011 at 7:01 am

Appreciating the time and energy you put into your website and detailed information you provide. It’s great to come across a blog every once in a while that isn’t the same unwanted rehashed material. Wonderful read! I’ve saved your site and I’m including your RSS feeds to my Google account.