Nicer Days & What To Make Next

I spent time with my camera Saturday afternoon taking pictures of the sky, flowers, and nature in all her glory.

I love this time of year because as a general trend, the weather gets nicer and nicer by the day.

I was running and saw these roses growing up the wrought iron bars and thought the color just popped with the black.

This weekend was no exception.  Last week it was in the 70s, then  thehigh 70s/low 80s over the weekend ,and by Monday and Tuesday they are saying low 90s.

Low 90s is extremely unseasonably warm and even in the height of summer, coastal San Diego doesn’t see many 90 degree days, but I will gladly take the hot snap.

I wonder what the flowers will think of it?

I loved how these flowers are just growing “wild” up the side of this person’s house in my neighborhood.

Skylar loves the warm weather just like I do and we spent time together at the park when I wasn’t working.

That’s her pretending to take pictures.  Monkey see, monkey do.

For snacks, I brought fresh fruit

And…

No-Bake Vegan Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Balls

Thanks for the compliments on my White Chocolate Blondies with Chocolate Peanut Butter Frosting from earlier today.

Glad they looked good to you!  And for those of you who told me you’ve never had blondies, you better change that, pronto.

The blondies are all gone now, though.   I need to get to work on the next dessert-making project now.

1. Best thing you’ve eaten or done so far this weekend?

Being outside, having some nice hot and sweaty runs in the gorgeous weather, being with Skylar, and eating blondies were my weekend highlights.

2. Is it getting nicer by the day where you are?

San Diego is funny because it is often nicer in the late winter and early spring (Feb, March, April) than it is in the later spring and early summer.

San Diego is known for May Gray and June Gloom.  The weather stays cloudy, gloomy, cool, rainy, and yucky out for a few months and it’s such a “tease” after really lovely weather.  So I savoring what we’ve got going on now, for sure.

3. After I make one recipe and it’s eaten or nearly eaten, especially with desserts, my brain is always moving to the next item and what I am going to make next. Are you always thinking what you’re going to make next, too?

As I said when I showcased some of the lovely food I saw this past week in the ‘sphere in my recent post, there are so many great recipes out there and not enough time to make them all.  Or football teams or armies to feed. But that doesn’t stop me from reading, being inspired, and pondering what I am going to make next.

Often times with my normal food, I eat the same thing, or a version of the same thing, nearly daily.  It’s a food groove, not a rut.

Lots of vegetables, fruits, fresh, raw, simply prepared, easy, no-fuss, no real rigid food rules. Sums up what and how I eat, daily.

Dressed with Vegan Slaw Dressing

Sure the veggies themselves change, and the dressings and dips change, but really, there is nothing better than a big salad with fresh veggies, some edamame or tofu on the side, but for my “daily eats”, I make the same things over and over.

However, with desserts, there are so many decadent, wonderful, and different recipes I want to try that I tend to make different things.

Are you a creature of habit or do you mix things up?  Are you always thinking about what you’re going to make next?

P.S. If you’re just catching up on posts from the weekend, here are mine since Friday:

29 Responses to “Nicer Days & What To Make Next”

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) — May 1, 2011 at 8:39 pm

It’s def getting nicer by the day here. Chilly right now but I like it. :)

I’m a creature of habit in some ways but I like variety so I change things up often, especially with food!

Lesley Lifting Life — May 1, 2011 at 8:40 pm

Flowers look beautiful! It was cloudy, gloomy, and in the 50s here today … I’m ready for warmer weather!!

Jaime — May 1, 2011 at 8:42 pm

I am totally a creature of habit with my food and I like it that way. I know what I like to eat and what my body does well with. I’m with you – whole, simple, fresh, natural food are where it’s at – they make me feel and look my best :) Loving your photography in this and other recent posts. You live in a beautiful part of the country!

Jenny (Fit Girl Foodie) — May 1, 2011 at 8:42 pm

I’m a big creature of habit, I’m really dull that way lol But I like planning on what I’m going to be making next :D

Nicole @ Of Cookies & Carrots — May 1, 2011 at 8:56 pm

It’s been gorgeous and about 80 up here in norcal too! :) I love your photos… I took some pics of the roses at my school too. So many brilliant, beautiful colors. :) those strawberries look delicious. I think I ate at least a pound of strawberries today lol… one of my fave things about california not gonna lie ;)

n

Emma (Namaste Everyday) — May 1, 2011 at 9:13 pm

it is NOT getting nicer by the day where I am. Here in the southern hemisphere, each day brings more rain, more clouds, and more wind. boo!

lynn @ the actor's diet — May 1, 2011 at 9:56 pm

i’m definitely a creature of habit. even though i’m shooting a movie right now i still have the same thing every night to unwind that i always do – an apple and cocoa.

Katie — May 1, 2011 at 10:06 pm

I mix things up with desserts, but my daily meals are pretty much just variations on the veggies with sauce theme. Salad with dressing, roasted veggies with sauce, raw veggies with dip, etc.

I was SO close to making your blondies for my class party tomorrow (the students are taking their AP exam that we’ve been prepping for all year!), but by the time I was ready to go to the store to get everything it was already 715 and I hadn’t had dinner….I ended up with a GF Betty Crocker chocolate cake mix and Betty Crocker Frosting. At least Betty knows her shit, right? ;) There are a ton of graduation parties coming up, so these are on the list for sure!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — May 2nd, 2011 at 4:32 am

oh i wish you would have had time to make them…they are nearly as easy as a boxed mix, seriously. next time give em a try. grad parties for sure! speaking of which, i hope youre having a grad party of some sort!!

mi-an — May 1, 2011 at 10:18 pm

i have to make those blondies sooon!!! i’m not a creature of habit at all… i love and have to change things up!! otherwise i’ll feel very stagnant… but that’s just me.

Erica — May 1, 2011 at 10:29 pm

Hooray for the nice weather and picture time!!! It is definitely nice in SC and I am loving every minute of it. I just can’t do cold/chilly weather…. Those blondies do look incredible. Best thing I did this weekend was just get our yard/garden together. Josh and I had TONS of to dos- but it was wonderful spending all the time together getting our ducks in a row

selfishyayun — May 1, 2011 at 10:39 pm

saw the second picture in this article and you know what? I just sing a song from the band Travis, the song was titled Flowers In The Window …
    I like flower, especially the red rose
    I even often plucked and put into my clothes. Very fragrant smell

Lauren (Diary of a Vegan Girl) — May 1, 2011 at 11:01 pm

What beautiful pictures! Also, Skylar has the cutest wardrobe ever :)

I am also like you. I eat the same stuff every day and love it!

Efka — May 2, 2011 at 2:47 am

cant wait for a warm. Couple days it almost promised about 64F and now it back to 50F, so sad.

cathy — May 2, 2011 at 3:44 am

ah, what beautiful weather!!! i hope you get that predicted hot streak, with temps soaring…you’ll be acclimatized for your trip, for sure!
    i am really looking forward to the next few months here: may-sept is the best time of year for warmer weather – bring it on!!
    i’m a big fan of fruits and veg in their natural state, too. tons of food prep? no thanks!!
    have a great monday, averie!

VeggieGirl — May 2, 2011 at 3:55 am

1.) dance practice and a 3-mile power-jog

2.) ah no! it was nice for one day last week, and now it’s storming like crazy.

3.) yes – as soon as a baked good comes out of the oven, I think about the next baked good to make.

I’m definitely a creature of habit! :)

Holly @ The Runny Egg — May 2, 2011 at 4:42 am

It was cold and rainy on Sat and cold and windy yesterday. I don’t know which was gloomier :( Today is going to be (in the words of the weatherman) “an unusually cold May day” WTF seriously. We had 2 weeks of nice weather and then it is gone :( I don’t know why I’m mad, this happens every year!

Madeline - Greens and Jeans — May 2, 2011 at 6:22 am

I think Skylar is taller than I am now!!!

McKella — May 2, 2011 at 7:40 am

Someday, I will live in San Diego, mark my words. Utah’s spring weather is always ridiculous. I woke up to 4 inches of snow on Saturday, and yesterday I walked to church in lovely sunshine and walked home in snow flurries. Right now it’s sunny and warm(looking. Haven’t been outside yet) Sometimes we get snow all the way into June!
    I planned to make a raw cheezecake yesterday, but I ended up feeling sick, so it didn’t happne :( it’s still at the top of my To Make list though!

Ari@ThE DiVa DiSh — May 2, 2011 at 8:23 am

Those bars look delicious :) ANd the weather and those flower pictures make me smile :) I love sunny days! As for my eating schedule, I usually eat the same things, but spice it up here and there. I like what I like, and keep it that way :) haha

Leslie — May 2, 2011 at 8:59 am

The flowers really are beautiful! We have had a serious bout this whole month of constant clouds and rain. I’m SOOOO ready for some warmth and sunshine!

Eating the same things over and over….I pretty much do to. Why mess up something that working? Salads are especially simple and yummy this time of year!

Amber K — May 2, 2011 at 9:03 am

Oh my gosh, I’m the same way! I eat certain things pretty much daily and I LOVE the term “food groove.” Perfectly describes me. And I also eat salads daily with my desserts/sweet snacks changing. I think reading blogs really “helps” with that because there’s always some amazing thing to try or adapt.

Christine (The Raw Project) — May 2, 2011 at 9:52 am

Gorgeous pics, love the colors.

1. I guess my niece’s bday party for the cake and seeing family.
    2. Yes, we’re actually in the 80s this week with no rain in sight.
    3. Yes, but not so much lately because it’s been so busy at work and my brain has been fried. :-)

Amy Fox — May 2, 2011 at 11:43 am

Love, love, love all the flower pics and blue sky you’ve been posting. Makes me very jealous, since here in the mtns in CO, it’s STILL insanely snowing every day. UGH! Maybe I can just soak up some vit D through you, ha ha!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — May 2, 2011 at 9:10 pm

It is finally starting to get warm … but where I live, it could be boiling hot one day, and snowing the next :-)

Krista — May 3, 2011 at 6:59 am

I wish the weather was getting nice here. It’s still 5*C and raining!! Just miserable, I tell ya. I really was born in the wrong climate zone. Had to wear mitts in to work today. GAR!!!

Beth — May 3, 2011 at 7:53 am

We had a warm snap come through over the weekend too. It actually got to 20C on Sunday. So happy to be out in the warm weather.
    Back to rain and cooler weather this week, then seasonal temps for the weekend.

I’m making some gluten-free cupcakes from this book: