Purple Rain Smoothie

Edited to Add:  Thanks Women’s Health Magazine for featuring my smoothie.  I posted about it here on my site, too.

The weather in San Diego was gloomy, dreary and rainy on Monday.  Not a nice day, at all.

Not really a smoothie drinking day in my opinion, but Skylar wanted one.

Usually I don’t use too many smoothie “helpers”, but realized I had quite a stash and decided to try a few new-to-me helpers.

I opted for Nutiva Hemp Shake in Berry Pomegranate (brown/green powder).  And I also tried an Acai Heart packet from Madre Labs (red powder) that I got as a free sample from a recent iHerb order.

[print_this]

Purple Rain Smoothie

1 large banana (previously frozen is ideal but not essential)

1 tbsp chia seeds (optional)

1 or 2 packets/servings of your fave smoothie helper (or try one serving of protein powder + 1/3 c berries to replicate the smoothie helpers)

1 tsp vanilla extract

1/2 c milk (nut milk, vanilla flavored nut milk, milk, cream, or vanilla Coffeemate. <– I used that)

1/4 c sugar (add/reduce/omit as desired, or use stevia or vanilla NuNaturals stevia drops, to taste)

2 c ice cubes

Blend everything in Vita-Mix or blender until smooth.

Yield’s two hearty portions or four smaller portions which I pour into plastic glasses and freeze and pull out of the freezer as needed over the next few days to save time.

[/print_this]

Everything in, and blend.

The color was sort of a grayish plum.  The Nutiva Hempshake powder was brown/green and chia seeds are gray but the Acai Heart was bright red.  Never know what colors are going to emerge from the Vita.

It tasted wonderful!  The berry flavors really came through.

Skylar waited patiently, and giggled, while I took pictures of it.

She was staring it down, big time.

Worth the wait she told me.  I agreed.

Don’t let the color fool you.  This doesn’t taste “healthy” or blah like the weather was.   It was sweet, berry-flavored and was great!

She’s still asking me for more Vanilla Banana Avocado Smoothie, though.

I told her we’re out of avocados and she told me, “Well mommy, you better go to the store then.”  Smart girl.

From my last post about Driving a Hard Bargain, it sounds like some of you aren’t afraid to bargain, a bit. No one admitted to being an out-and-out haggler and wheeler-dealer though.  We all know that one person who haggles over everything though, right?

1. What’s your favorite smoothie combo lately?

As I mentioned, I’m not the biggest smoothie fan because they jut don’t hold me, but Skylar loves them so as a mommy, of course, I oblige and make her whatever creation comes to mind on the fly and with what I have on hand.

I’d rather have a homemade Vegan Caramel Macchiato if I am going to choose something to drink.  Or just water.

And maybe I’ll nibble on a homemade Vegan “Turtle” while sipping coffee.

2. Purple Rain.  Are there any Prince fans in the house?

Omg. I.love.Prince.

I have seen him in concert a few times.  Probably about 2003-04 was the last time I saw him and I paid handsomely for some tickets in the second row of the concert.  I actually felt like he really “saw” me and was actually “looking” at me.  Yes, that sounds groupie-ish.  And I don’t care.

Best Prince Songs in my opinion: When Doves Cry, Little Red Corvette, Kiss, I would Die 4 You, Let’s Go Crazy, Raspberry Beret.

3. Are you a fan of 80s music and what songs are you loving lately?

I need to put together an Aruba playlist so I’m all ears what you’re loving lately.  <—Pun intended.

And yes, I love 80s music!  From Def Leppard, Guns ‘n Roses, and Aerosmith to just about everything else, I dig 80s music. Except not a Debbie Gibson or New Kids fan, sorry.

And now, I am off to have a fun meetup!  (Hint)

69 Responses to “Purple Rain Smoothie”

Cara @ EAT. PRAY. RUN. — May 10, 2011 at 12:37 pm

I always go back to my favorite smoothie of a banana, vanilla vegan protein powder, peanut flour and a handful of spinach…sometimes chia and flax too! It tastes like a milkshake and you can’t beat that! Skylar is such a doll :)

Heather (Where's the Beach) — May 10, 2011 at 12:37 pm

I honestly don’t think that color is ugly at all, kind of calming actually. And Prince??? YES. I’ve seen him in concert too. Though, I’m not a big 80′s music gal to be honest.

Holly @ The Runny Egg — May 10, 2011 at 12:46 pm

I will always love “when doves cry” — I remember hearing it for the first time when I was younger and I just loved it. Still do!

I’m definitely a smoothie fan — almost every morning I have a 1/2 banana, 1 scoop protein, 1 TBSP chia, 1 cup almond milk, 1 TBSP peanut butter and ice smoothie. It keeps me satisfied and it sits well with me — I don’t feel full or stuffed after drinking it.

I just looked at your recipe for those turtles — I didn’t know they were so simple. I’m making those tonight for sure!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — May 10, 2011 at 12:56 pm

So strange to see BAD weather on your blog!!! I’m used to sunny pics!! :-)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) — May 10, 2011 at 12:58 pm

Heck yeah, I love Prince! I am such an 80s girl when it comes to music! I love it! I’ve been listening to Adel a lot lately since I just got her CD. I am not in the know on popular music anymore. So sad…

Sabina — May 10, 2011 at 1:01 pm

Hey lady!

my smoothie combo:

- bananas
    - frozen berries
    - greens (fresh spinach or kale)
    - omega 3 (ground chia or ground flax)
    - helper (VEGA protein powder – plain, mango/tropical, berry; don’t like the vanilla chai; haven’t tried chocolate)
    - sometimes, yogurt

i never add a sweetener to it, as for me, the fruit and helper (VEGA has stevia in it) is enough. however, i know you have a sweet tooth! ;-)

xo

Lauren — May 10, 2011 at 1:03 pm

Mmmm I LOVE LOVE smoothies and I know that kids do too…I have future plans to raise my children on green monsters to get their veggies in! I’ve said this a million times but Skylar is so adorable and she always looks so darn HAPPY! :)

cathy — May 10, 2011 at 2:01 pm

love love love 80s music…thanks for the trip down memory lane. nothing beats “welcome to the jungle.” my favourite prince is raspberry beret and let’s go crazy. madonna’s immaculate collection is one for the ages…great great era! :)
    i don’t do smoothies at all…nothing about the texture, even the concept appeals. glad skylar is a fan and you “indulge” her! what a cutie!!!

lynn @ the actor's diet — May 10, 2011 at 2:01 pm

prince is the ultimate. what a dude.

Lesley Lifting Life — May 10, 2011 at 2:24 pm

Such cute pictures of Skylar! I need to go to the store and get some avocados myself! Haha :)

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) — May 10, 2011 at 2:36 pm

That smoothie looks delish! The smoothie I made yesterday could have used a little more sweetness. I like how you work it!

And I am a HUGE Prince and 80s music fan!! I grew up listening to the BEST. music. ever. And to this day my playlist is LOADED with 80s; plus I often listen to the 80s channel on Sirius all. day. long. Thankfully Dustin goes along with it even though it’s not his first choice, lol. Sometimes I wish it was still 1985 and drawing rainbows and wearing jelly shoes were my only care in the world. :)

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — May 10th, 2011 at 6:31 pm

“Sometimes I wish it was still 1985 and drawing rainbows and wearing jelly shoes were my only care in the world. ” or perhaps what your cabbage patch dolls were doing or if you may advance to the next level on super mario brothers :)

Moni'sMeals — May 10, 2011 at 2:54 pm

I too am not a huge smoothie person but yours today would easily work for me.

I will always love 80′s music AND movies. :)

Katie — May 10, 2011 at 3:23 pm

Smoothies are cool, but 80s music!!!

You inspired me to put together a little 80s mix for my ipod!

Here I Go Again Whitesnake
    Once Bitten, Twice Shy Great White
    Baby Got Back Sir Mix-A-Lot
    Heaven Warrant

• K replied: — May 17th, 2011 at 9:12 am

Favorite Prince:

17 Days
      La, la, la, Hee, hee, hee
      Scandalous (sex suite)

I hear music in the streets – Unlimited Touch
      Funkin for Jamaica – Tom Browne
      Caught Up in a One Night Love Affair – Inner Circle
      Genius Of Love – Tom Tom Club
      Trans Europe Express – Kraftwerk

Tracy @ Commit to Fit — May 10, 2011 at 4:01 pm

Love Prince. Love the 80′s. I think I will be forever stuck in the 80′s and I don’t mind one bit :)

Jess@HealthyExposures — May 10, 2011 at 4:41 pm

I have an odd collection of smoothie helpers, too – usually stuff sent through iHerb or other samples that I just never get around to using! Should get on that…though I think I’d prefer the macchiato or just water, too :P

Erica D @ Gratitouille — May 10, 2011 at 5:43 pm

I LOVE 80s music! I am so sad I missed that decade.
    I had a high school boyfriend that ONLY listened to 80s music…that was a little weird, but it gave me a solid appreciation for it.

Since it’s the last week of my semester, I am living on green monster smoothies, a huge batch of lentils, raw veggies, and whatever free food I can scrounge up at events. Could be worse!

Katelyn — May 10, 2011 at 5:45 pm

I’m definitely a smoothie person – if I’m not home to make my own, I seek them out. My favorite smoothie that I make is: almond milk, frozen banana, spirulina, cinnamon, vanilla protein powder, vanilla creme stevia and kale and/or collards. It is SO good and good for you!

Renée — May 10, 2011 at 6:08 pm

I love Prince! I hope I’m able to see him in concert someday.

Paige @ Running Around Normal — May 10, 2011 at 6:22 pm

That’s so awesome you had the guts to ask for 20%! Worth it, too :)

BroccoliHut — May 10, 2011 at 6:43 pm

Yum, yum! I used to use Nutiva HempShake all the time for my smoothies! I love the chocolate flavor.

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} — May 10, 2011 at 7:07 pm

Do you like 80s Madonna? Madonna was my first tape. :-) 80s Madonna is my favorite!

Meghan’s much more into smoothies than I am, too. Like you, I just throw in whatever we have around usually. Lots of green smoothies to help her get those greens. :-)

hippierunner — May 10, 2011 at 7:24 pm

Skylar is such a cutie!

Bria @ West of Persia — May 10, 2011 at 7:28 pm

Averie, I literally JUST watched Purple Rain last week. No joke. What a funny coincidence. Love that 80s camp.

And I was listening to 80s music, Depeche Mode in particular, on the way home earlier.

I love Depeche Mode, O.M.D. (Forever Live and Die is an awesome, forgotten track!), Duran Duran, and Blondie. Of course Madonna. Stuff by Echo and the Bunnymen, Frank Black, Morrissey, the Church (all that emo stuff. Ha!)

Love the song “Electric Avenue” by Eddy Grant. LOL! And “Toy Soldiers” by Martika (one hit wonder, I g$uess). Oooooh, “She Drives Me Crazy” by Fine Young Cannibals. Ha!

There are sooooo many others. That’s just what comes to mind off of the top of my head.

Long Live the 80s!

Noya - gluttonandstudent — May 10, 2011 at 7:32 pm

I’m still dying to try the avocado smoothie. I used to get avocado shakes (and make them – but they weren’t very yummy) from Asian markets, and they were awesome!

I love ’80s music. I used to be obsessed with Cyndi Lauper, and I’m still a fan.

Marcia @Frugal Healthy Simple — May 10, 2011 at 8:31 pm

Ah, the 80′s. I graduated from HS in the late 80′s, so the music is near and dear to my heart, especially Purple Rain. One of my HS’s colors was purple, and we were multi-year champs in basketball, so we spelled it Purple Reign. Cute, huh?

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — May 10, 2011 at 8:54 pm

I totally LOVE 80s music too!!! I was born in the 80s and my heart is still there :-)

There used to be a club in my city that played only 80s music on Saturday nights, and I used to love to go there and dance. Unfortunately it got rid of the 80s night and then eventually closed down.

Christy — May 10, 2011 at 8:56 pm

I was half-expecting to see some visual effects reveal as your smoothie turns really purple hehehehe….but I can tell you that the color is not ugly at all! It is quite soothing, and I am sure Skylar loved it and would want another serving :D

Ragnhild — May 11, 2011 at 2:36 am

I love Skylar! She is just so cute!!
    For smoothies I really like to mix berries with soaked raw cashews. Makes the smoothie soo creamy. My fave is frozen strawberries, cashews and a little bit of maple sirup. Tastes like strawberry ice cream!

dragonmamma/naomi — May 11, 2011 at 4:44 am

I’m old enough that the music from the 70s, 80s and 90s is all mashed together in my head, so I really can’t tell you which decade is my favorite, but I do tend to favor heavy metal over pop. I don’t LOVE Prince, but I do like all those songs you mentioned.

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun — May 11, 2011 at 7:50 am

I’m with you. I only really crave smoothies when its bright and sunny and cheery. They still taste good on rainy days though! :)

Amber K — May 11, 2011 at 9:02 am

I LOVE smoothies. I love mixing Greek yogurt with bananas and strawberries to make a strawberry banana milkshake. Although, I find that they aren’t filling unless I get to chew something afterwards. My stomach refuses to accept that I have eaten unless I’ve been chewing!

I’m a 90′s music girl. But, I like all kinds of stuff! Music sustains me :)

Krista — May 11, 2011 at 9:48 am

L.O.V.E. Prince and all the songs your mentioned! Let’s go crazy and 1999 are 2 of my faves! And seeing as the 80′s is the era I “grew up” in, I dig all that music…even Debby Gibson and NKOTB! :)

Christine (The Raw Project) — May 11, 2011 at 10:50 am

Yum, this smoothie sounds wonderful! And I’ve still gotta try the avocado pudding!

1. Frozen bananas, kale, carrots, cacao and vanilla protein powder.
    2. Eh, I was a little young when he was huge.
    3. Sure, I’ll add an 80s playlist every once in awhile. Now I listen to a lot of high energy dance stuff for working out and workday motivation.

LeAnn — May 11, 2011 at 11:31 am

1- made an avocado smoothie recently that was yummy… need to start making them again regularly (protein ones), or just make your protein cookie dough balls for a shot of protein since I am weight training more heavily again and need it. Going to give the sunwarrior a try…
    2- Prince from the pre-Purple Rain days… ie Controversy
    3- Big Styx fan back in the day but I don’t listen to them too much anymore.

Aracelis Hollinshead — May 14, 2011 at 8:04 am

Thank you! I consistently bare to address on my website something like that. Can I apparatus a allocation of your column to my blog?

Baking 'n' Books — May 15, 2011 at 7:59 pm

Congrats on WH Mag! Is the smoothie thick though? Do you know how to thicken them without adding things like “gums” (xanthan, etc?). I’ve never been a smoothie fan because I really like thickness :)

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — May 15th, 2011 at 8:34 pm

It’s extremely thick. Frozen bananas are a great way to thicken without using gums. It was so thick that I had to add nut milk + water to thin it out.

Bell Vantassell — May 17, 2011 at 11:29 am

Undeniably believe that which you stated. Your favorite justification appeared to be on the internet the simplest thing to be aware of. I say to you, I certainly get annoyed while people think about worries that they just do not know about. You managed to hit the nail upon the top as well as defined out the whole thing without having side effect , people can take a signal. Will probably be back to get more. Thanks