Trips, Workshops, & Conferences

Happy Memorial Day Weekend to all who are celebrating and greetings from Aruba where there seems to be more Americans down here this weekend than there have been the previous two weeks we’ve been here.

But the beaches are still far from “crowded”.

The weather wasn’t “perfect” on Sunday.  It was hazy and overcast but still very bright.  The kind of weather you don’t know if your sunglasses should be on or off.

We moved to the beach where Little Miss Squinty…

…enjoyed playing and splashing.

We strolled the beaches looking at piers and shells and boats.

We admired nature’s beauty.

We had another productive day in Aruba.

“Productive” meaning we fully enjoyed ourselves. Productivity at its finest.

After our time at the beach, we came home and ate grapes.

Mine were previously frozen.  Love ‘em that way.

And juicy, sweet watermelon hit the spot.

And I made Skylar and I Taste of the Tropics Smoothies

I’m glad you all enjoyed the Kites & Cats post.

If nothing else, I know that most of you are huge animal lovers.  I’d say there are slightly more “cat people” than “dog people” who chimed in on the informal poll.  But it was close.

1. Did you do anything “productive” this weekend?

Either in the serious sense like reorganizing, cleaning, or maybe you had to work this weekend (Boo! if you had to work but I empathize because I work weekends, too) ?

I hope that you were “productive” like I was and caught up with friends, family, and got in plenty of R & R time.  And hopefully you have Monday off, too.

2. Did you read any of the recaps of FitBloggin’, BlogHer Food Atltana, or EatWriteRetreat from last weekend?  If so, does it make you wish you had been there?

I cannot complain as I am on vacation in Aruba, and I think a Caribbean vacation beats a (blogging) conference, but I will say those kind of “crept up” on me.  I really didn’t know they were happening until many of my bloggie friends were posting either from the conferences or already back home posting there conference recaps!

It does strike me as a bit odd that all three of these very major conferences were on the same weekend.  Obviously not by accident and I guess it maybe “forced one’s hand” a bit and made prospective attendees choose which one they really wanted to attend.

If I was doing the planning, I would have put them on different weekends because who knows, some people may have attended more than one if they were on different weekends.

Do you wish you had gone to any?

3. In looking ahead, do you have any plans to attend any future conferences?  Or any trips on your horizon?

I went to Food Buzz in San Francisco last fall (November 2010).

I went to an intimate, wonderful workshop called Real Food Styling Photography Workshop (one of the best things I’ve ever done!)

And I do have some events coming up that I am attending!

I am so excited and haven’t mentioned them yet, but they are more photography related than “just” strictly blogging related events, but there is definitely overlap in everything.  More details on them later.

They tie in with my Career Fantasies & Doing What You Want post and goals.

Speaking of which, Food Buzz just announced this week (notification by email) that this year’s conference in San Francisco will be:

November 4-6th, 2011
San Francisco, CA

Are you going? Not sure what I am doing yet. If time and money were no object, I could keep my conference + travel schedule very full!

Would you like to attend any seminars, retreats, workshops, or conferences?  Which ones?

Have a safe and happy holiday weekend!

P.S. If you’re just catching up on posts of mine from Friday, here’s what’s been going on:

49 Responses to “Trips, Workshops, & Conferences”

Maria — May 29, 2011 at 2:38 pm

Glad you are enjoying your vacation! I am jealous:)

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — May 29th, 2011 at 2:45 pm

You have been on some awesome trips I’d love to go on sometime! Maybe one day we will cross paths at something :)

McKella — May 29, 2011 at 2:42 pm

I’ve had a very productive weekend! I cleaned my studio, vacuumed my apartment, worked, wrote, went to church, and at the moment I’m waiting for my auntie to pick me up for Sunday. And I get to work tomorrow too. :( Meh, time and a half. I’m not complaining.
    I’d love to go to a blogging conference sometime, but my blog straddles so many topics I don’t know where I’d go.

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — May 29th, 2011 at 2:46 pm

Isnt that a big question…”my blog straddles so many topics I don’t know where I’d go.”

Sometimes I feel that way about mine…haha! Im sure many bloggers do too!

being domUnique — May 29, 2011 at 2:49 pm

I was productive this weekend! I woke up early yesterday and today to run (quite a rarity for me!) and really enjoyed getting my workout out of the way before my family was even awake!
    I also used my time of my day job to get my etsy store set up http://www.designedbydomunique.etsy.com and list my first item!
    Yay for productivity!

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen — May 29, 2011 at 2:52 pm

damn it looks gorgeous there from the weather to the food!
    glad you’re enjoying your vacation.

Holly @ The Runny Egg — May 29, 2011 at 3:10 pm

We did some cleaning this weekend so far, so I feel somewhat productive, but today and tomorrow will be lazy days and I can’t wait!

I also thought it was strange that those events were all on the same weekend — I didn’t go to any so I don’t really care, but it seemed odd to me.

I’m going to my first conf in CO in June, and then maybe I’ll go to HLS (still not sure) and Foodbuzz is a possibility, but again, we’ll see how the June conf goes before I start thinking about other events.

Heather (Where's the Beach) — May 29, 2011 at 3:20 pm

Ahhh, looks like my kind of day. Skylar is getting so big! I feel like I’m missing out on posts. The condo we’re in has freaking modem only in the bedroom (not facing the beach of course).

VeggieGirl — May 29, 2011 at 3:20 pm

Not going to any conferences… you know how I feel about them ;)

You should be in an ad for Allure magazine – I love the reader shot! :D

Christin@purplebirdblog — May 29, 2011 at 3:24 pm

I toooooootally want to hit up the FoodBuzz festival this year! I think you should go, for selfish reasons, obviously! ;)

Lesley Lifting Life — May 29, 2011 at 3:29 pm

The weather here in Kansas City warmed up a lot of it feels so much like summer! Thus, I’m not gonna lie, I’m jealous of those beautiful Aruba beaches! ;) Glad you’re having a great time.

melissa @ the delicate place — May 29, 2011 at 3:29 pm

i would have loved to attend fitbloggin! and obviously foodbuzz’s location sways me ;) i love san fran! tomorrow’s forecast is hot hot hot! and i intend to stand in front of a grill haha. oh well, i love the end result: meat on a stick lol.

Erica — May 29, 2011 at 3:42 pm

Yayy :) I love that you guys are having so much fun on your trip- gorgeous!! And the smoothies (again) sound divine! It has been a productive weekend here- time with family, friends, finished up most of the baby shopping, did yard work…wonderful!

Chelsea — May 29, 2011 at 3:42 pm

I’m such an animal lover =D Idk if you saw my recent post about rescuing a dog that decided to hide under my car from the heat yesterday haah <3
    My weekend has been GREAT so far! I'm going to the beach tomorrow, but the beach I'm going to isn't far as lovely as Arubaa is. Idk if you've heard but Galveston water (I live in Texas) is a nasty brown color haha.

Susan — May 29, 2011 at 3:47 pm

Did Skylar pick that shirt from seeing all the cats? ; )

Jess — May 29, 2011 at 4:32 pm

Frozen grapes=the BEST snack! I loved them at halftime during soccer games.

cathy — May 29, 2011 at 5:00 pm

that’s the great thing about aruba – never feels crowded (at least where we hang out). EXCEPT, i’ve heard president’s week is INSANE, and to be avoided at all costs!
    i’d love to go to a blogging conference. but by the time i add up fees, travel, hotel, food, etc, i just can’t justify the cost. have to live vicariously thru blog updates!
    busy busy weekend: festival-ish thing fri eve, work + wedding reception saturday, work + mom’s bday today. i could use a holiday tomorrow (sadly, we had ours last weekend!).
    maybe more sun tomorrow?!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — May 29th, 2011 at 5:28 pm

pres weekend, easter, 4th of july even are crowded down here
      but nothing like xmas..from about Dec 20 to about Jan 3 it’s INSANITY!!!!

Not to mention the locals are in holiday mode, things are closing…it’s a hot mess. If it wasnt b/c of scott’s work schedule, I’d prefer not to come in Dec and do Nov or Jan but Dec is better. And right now is the best :)

lindsay — May 29, 2011 at 5:00 pm

I would love to attend one of those conferences. Just to meet all the lovely ladies. Its great to keep those connections thriving. Maybe one day we’ll make it out to San Deigo!

Cait's a Runnerchick — May 29, 2011 at 5:19 pm

Wow, Aruba looks stunning! It sure looks like you girls are having a wonderful trip. Hehe, you remind me of my mom when I was a little girl, “Stop taking pictures of me, the sun is in my eyes! What, another one?!” So cute. Glad you were able to have the beach mostly to yourselves too!

I really wish I could go to one of those conferences, but it looks like for now I’ll have to read about them second hand…at least there’s plenty of pictures to accompany. :)

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — May 29th, 2011 at 5:29 pm

she was NOT into the squinty pics but hey, she lived :)

• Cait's a Runnerchick replied: — May 29th, 2011 at 5:41 pm

haha, I’m just giving you a hard time! but trust me, now i’m so grateful my mom was a total camera freak because i so love looking back through all of them. great memories!

Kristina @ spabettie — May 29, 2011 at 5:38 pm

frozen grapes – yum! reminds me of summers at my grandparents…

glad you are being “productive” and enjoying your vacation – we are having a relaxing weekend too – no work tomorrow, unless you include GRILLING! :)

Lisa — May 29, 2011 at 5:47 pm

Looks like an amazing trip! I just got back from Marco Island in Florida…and there really is nothing that compares to the “on the beach” relaxation with refreshing food and drinks…and family!

On the blogging conferences…I really don’t plan to go to any, but mostly because I’d rather go to conferences I can earn continuing education for or some other benefit (like a yoga retreat or the Food As Medicine workshop I’m going to that will help me at work…and also give me interesting things to blog about!). I’m sure the bloggy things could be fun though!

Tori (Fresh Fruition) — May 29, 2011 at 7:04 pm

Watermelon sounds so good. It was a HOT day today ’round these parts.

Kate — May 29, 2011 at 7:29 pm

Another beautiful day in paradise. I love frozen grapes too such a treat.

Katie M. — May 29, 2011 at 7:34 pm

sooo productive of a weekend. We moved 7 yards of wood chip and did lots of landscaping. Needless to say we are pooped. Luckily we have a 3 day weekend with hubby and we get to relax tomorrow and have a cookout! Aruba is beautiful! So jealous!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — May 29, 2011 at 7:46 pm

I didn’t go to any of the conferences, but if I had, I would have gone to Fitbloggin’ – that’s wehre all my friends were at!

Katie — May 29, 2011 at 8:16 pm

I didn’t know about any of the conferences and I doubt I would have gone given how busy I was!

By your definition of productivity (which I love, by the way), I was super productive. So let’s go with that!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — May 29, 2011 at 10:13 pm

Those last couple Aruba ones in this post are some more you should frame!!! WOW!

I had a VERY productive weekend. I threw my dad a surprise 70th birthday party, saved my friends butt for an event she was putting on (the caterers and servers had to cancel last minute so I stepped in with a couple friends to help her out), I wrote a paper and planned a presentation for my grad class, and also went out for dinner and a concert with friends, and breakfast with my family.

I have a few trips planned … Vegas in September for a bachelorette party, San Fransisco for FoodBuzz hopefully, and then somewhere HOT in February.

Kristen @ The Red Velvet Life — May 29, 2011 at 10:43 pm

Aruba looks divine; so glad you’re enjoying it . . . hard not to, I’m sure! I’ve never been, but I’d love to go someday! As for conferences, I was thinking about food buzz, but I don’t know if I qualify as a food blogger totally. Too bad we’re moving away from SF, but it’s just a short flight up from LA, so I could probably do it! Would be so fun to meet everyone and get back up to SF, so I’m definitely considering it!

zakar — May 29, 2011 at 10:54 pm

I wish i can go to vacation like you..really jealous… :(

mi-an — May 29, 2011 at 11:16 pm

glad to see you are being so productive there!! :) I totally KNOW what you mean. Yes, 3 yrs in Grenada!! I use to live in a beach house, which had my own beach as my backyard! Weekends were spent jumping off waterfalls. yes we did study but I made the most of my time there! :))

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — May 30th, 2011 at 6:48 am

“Weekends were spent jumping off waterfalls. yes we did study but I made the most of my time there!”

= that sounds like the perfect life!!!

susan — May 29, 2011 at 11:43 pm

Thanks again for posting more photos on Aruba, they’re so relaxing to look at while I’m stressed in work. Just wondered is any time of the year good to go to Aruba or is there a hurricane season? I need a holiday in the next few months, I’ve time off work in October. I’m off to make that delicious smoothie, I think I’ll add some large servings of rum, have some friends I’m meeting up with later this afternoon, they’ll love it.

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — May 30th, 2011 at 6:46 am

not really a hurricane season b/c it’s out of the hurricane belt. there are rainier times of the yr than others, just google it for the specifics. it’s never super rainy though!

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine — May 30, 2011 at 3:33 am

This weekend was not AT ALL productive, but this week needs to be!! I’ve got a lot to do and Mike is in India and my best friends are away too, so I have no excuse not to tackle a bunch of to-do items.

I’m hoping to go to Foodbuzz again this year!! San Francisco is SUCH an incredible city for a foodie conference :)

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — May 30th, 2011 at 6:47 am

good info that you’re hoping to go back to FB. That means, knowing you, that you will, for sure. :)

mike is in india? omg that’s my dream destination for so many reasons. I wish i was there!

Marcia @Frugal Healthy Simple — May 30, 2011 at 6:56 am

I’ve never been to a food blog conference, but I’d like to go sometime. The one in San Fran isn’t too far away. The Healthy Living Summit was tempting also.

Each year I earn more vacation at work, so there’s an increased possibility that I could go.

Christine (The Raw Project) — May 30, 2011 at 9:20 am

Looks like great weather to me!

1. Yes, nailed down our plans for the office redo, garden work, and shopping.
    2. Yes and yes, maybe next year.
    3. Yes, most likely Foodbuzz again, the raw health fest, and where ever else. :-) I’ve thought about the vegan fest in OR, but that has such an intense schedule that time for fun and socializing would be pretty limited.

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — May 30th, 2011 at 10:49 am

good to know your plans re FBuzz and raw health fest. Not sure my FB plans but leaning more toward photography-centric things, but who knows what will pan out!

Amber K — May 30, 2011 at 9:43 am

I didn’t really know about any of the conferences until people were talking about what they had seen or learned. But, I don’t think I would go to one unless it was reader-friendly and was actually near me. Affording plane tickets anywhere is not in my budget!

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) — May 30, 2011 at 11:50 am

I was very productive this weekend! Yard sale and work, work, work. :)

Going to check out the kitty post that I haven’t seen yet!! *excited*

Beth — May 31, 2011 at 7:55 am

Those yellow flowers are fantastic. Thought they were coming right off the computer screen :)

Another productive weekend for us at the paintball field. The house will need attention & cleaning this week though ;)