Vanilla Avocado Banana Ice Cream

Scott loves ice cream.

And Skylar loves avocados, especially locally grown avocados.

And I like using up extra bananas I have laying around.

I have a whole What to Make with Ripe Bananas post, too

But back to that “ice cream” and the recipe, you see, Scott loves the real kind of ice cream…

…But what I made isn’t the real kind.

But he still loved it.

[print_this]

Vanilla Avocado Banana “Ice Cream” (Vegan, Dairy-Free, Soy Free, Gluten Free)

1 ripe avocado

1 medium banana (previously frozen in chunks is optimal)

1 tsp vanilla extract

1/2 c milk (nut milk, vanilla flavored nut milk, milk, cream, vanilla Coffeemate, or water)

1/2 c sugar (add/reduce/omit as desired, or use stevia or vanilla NuNaturals stevia drops, to taste, or agave)

1 cup ice cubes (optional)

Blend everything in Vita-Mix or blender until smooth.

Vita-Mix Tips: If you are using a Vita and the mixture is extremely thick, add more milk/agave/splash of water until blending is easier and blend on High. Don’t be afraid of High.  Better to do this on High for shorter duration than lower speed/longer duration.

Store in container in the freezer.  Mixture will freeze solid in the freezer and if so, let thaw for 5 minutes on countertop until you can scoop it out.

Note: After a week, this ice cream had not turned brown even though avocados tend to oxidize rapidly.  And, the flavor still tasted spot-on.

[/print_this]

I like 5 minute recipes that are easy and no ice cream maker is required.  Since I don’t own one.

Just blend everything together and either eat immediately or freeze extras for later.  Easy.

How does it taste?  Wonderful!

Would I call my “ice cream” Ben & Jerry’s?  No.

I would call it better than Ben & Jerry’s.  Yes!

I am very picky with desserts.  I have a raging sweet tooth, I love fattening, sugary, buttery, rich, decadent, creamy, luxurious desserts and this passes muster.

The avocado really makes it oh-so-creamy and the sweetness from the banana and the sugar help it to really become “ice cream”.

If this recipe looks similar to you, it’s because it’s a spin-off of my Vanilla Avocado Banana Smoothie In A Bowl

The ice cream, however, is sweeter and much thicker than the smoothie.  As ice cream should be.

Even if you don’t like avocados, it’s ok.  You will still like this, I promise.

From my last post about Trips, Workshops, & Conferences it sounds like some of you are going to try to attend some in the future.  Me too.  I’ve got a few things on the horizon that I’m really excited about!

Questions

1. Have you ever made your own ice cream or “ice cream”?

I hesitate to use quotation marks once around “ice cream” because for me this recipe is just as good as real ice cream.

I cannot eat real ice cream; something about the dairy in ice cream or frozen yogurt just kills my stomach.  I can drink cream in my coffee, but I just can’t eat ice cream.

But since the avocado in this recipe adds such a layer of creaminess, and it’s well-sweetened recipe, I didn’t miss the real ice cream.  Nor did Scott who’s the pickiest person when it comes to ice cream!

And for anyone who doesn’t like avocados, I promise tt doesn’t “taste” like an avocado.

Nor does my Raw Vegan Chocolate Mousse

It’s kind of like people who say they don’t like tofu.  Really?

Follow these tofu preparation & cooking steps and then tell me if you still don’t like tofu.  I bet you’ll change your mind.

2. Do you like avocados?

Yes, in all forms!

I have Cheater’s Guacamole in case you’d rather keep your avos savory rather than sweet.

3. Best thing you’ve ate or done this weekend?

Being on the beach in Aruba with Skylar for me has been awesome.

Happy Memorial Day and if you’re just catching up on posts from the weekend, here are mine since Friday:

152 Responses to “Vanilla Avocado Banana Ice Cream”

Dandelion — May 31, 2011 at 3:13 pm

Yum! It’s really amazing how good banana can taste after freezing and blending!
    I bet this recipe would taste wonderful with some cocoa or mint… or both! :D

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — May 31, 2011 at 3:59 pm

That an easy ice-cream! It looks just like the real-deal, but is so much healthier, and probably much tastier too. I have made my own ice cream with a vita-mix and bammix before, but I have always eaten it right away. I like that you freeze yours, because then you can scoop it out and make it look like hard icecream should.

Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) — May 31, 2011 at 7:07 pm

Wow, Averie, this ice cream sounds fantastic! I’ve made “ice cream” with frozen banana before, and love how creamy it turns out. I can only image the effect the addition of avocado would have! Yum.

I’m new to your blog, and I’ll be back! :)

Ashley @ The Drunk Squash — May 31, 2011 at 10:04 pm

Oh my gosh, this looks wonderful! I made some of your agave/cocoa powder/coconut oil chocolate and it was superb, so I think I’ll have to trust you on this one too…. can’t wait to try it!

Krista — June 1, 2011 at 9:09 am

Love the ice cream! And I have made my own in my ice cream maker. I’ve made everything from the real deal to using coconut milk and yogurt. All yummy! I’ll have to pop an avocado in my next batch. We all love ‘cados at my house!

Amelia — October 2, 2011 at 4:04 pm

I just made the avocado banana ice cream with mint extract and chocolate chips… mint chip ice cream except better for you are yummier!! :) :)

Thanks for the great recipe!

Erik — October 7, 2011 at 6:26 pm

Wow! Just found your recipe. We’re going out of town tomorrow and needed to do something with the avocadoes. This stuff rocks!

ash — January 12, 2012 at 2:00 pm

cant wait to make this thanks for the recipe!!!

Nic — January 17, 2012 at 11:51 am

Can you substitute almond/soy milk for regular milk? Or does it need the consistency and thickness of milk?

Joann — January 17, 2012 at 2:45 pm

I just found this recipe on Pinterest and I can’t wait to make it! I am a little sad to hear you say it doesn’t taste like avocado…I love avocado! I could live on them. Love your pic from the beach in Aruba – that is absolutely my favorite place on earth (forget Disneyworld!!). I was just looking at trips online today.

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — January 17th, 2012 at 5:32 pm

Well, okay, it doesn’t taste like avocado in the savory sense that most people tend to associate avocado with, i.e. guacamole. And really, without anything added, I find avo to be very neutral tasting. It’s CREAMY but it’s fairly mild in flavor if that makes sense. So you get the creaminess and if you reduced the sugar maybe more of the virgin avo flavor would come thru…LMK what you end up doing if you make it.

• Joann replied: — January 19th, 2012 at 7:52 pm

I reduced the sugar and the banana (because I find banana overpowers everything). I also skipped the ice because I wanted it to be creamier. Loved the taste of it when it was mixed together but the texture is not the same as yours after frozen. What kind of milk did you use? Maybe I’ll try again without changing the banana/sugar or maybe I’ll just make it without the sugar and drink it as a smoothie!

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — January 19th, 2012 at 7:58 pm

you changed lots of things..the sugar, the banana, the ice…so not sure where to tell you to change it back…but for sure, put the banana back in if you want creamy. Milk…I believe almond? It was a long time ago I wrong that post…keep playing with things til you get it right, for you. There is no really “right” way..as long as you like it, that’s all that matters!

Selene — January 18, 2012 at 6:50 pm

Yummy! I like avocados a lot. Found this in pinterest. :)

Cailey — January 31, 2012 at 8:21 am

I was a bit skeptical about avocados in ice cream when I looked at this, but I’m vegan and having been craving a good cup of ice cream for a week. I decided to try it, and it’s DELICIOUS! I swear, I must have eaten a fourth of it before I even got it into the freezer. I mixed some plump raisins into it and some chopped walnuts. It definitely hit the spot, thank you so much!

Steph (The Cheapskate Cook) — February 11, 2012 at 9:25 pm

Just made this! My stevia was super sweet though, so I ended up adding half again as much of the other ingredients (except for banana – added a whole extra instead of half) to counteract the stevia sweetness and aftertaste. Still pretty sweet/strong. Got any tips?
    Other than that, it’s turning out great! Thanks for the recipe!
    (found you via pinterest, btw!)

• Averie @ Love Veggies & Yoga replied: — February 11th, 2012 at 9:35 pm

Don’t use stevia then if it’s making it funny..use sugar, agave, maple syrup or something else you like better or play with the ratio of the stevia. Trial and error…have fun taste testing :)

Katherine Stewart — February 23, 2012 at 10:46 am

Wow…this was good. I used a frozen banana and still felt the need for more ice to make it thicker/colder. I only used 1/4 cup agave and when I scooped it out I added some cacao nibs! Delicious! Toddler approved although he is not a fan of cacao nibs! I think he melts the ice cream in his mouth sorting out the “choco chips” then eating the nibs by themselves which are kind of bitter! LOL I will be making this again and again! I’m always looking for healthy fat recipes that my toddler will like since we eat a whole foods plant based diet, no oil.

• Katherine Stewart replied: — February 23rd, 2012 at 10:52 am

Wanted to add, my son is a dipper, he will dip anything into anything. I gave him some Late July classic crackers…he dipped them into the ice cream and said “mmmmmm” I was like let me try….OMG…it tasted so good. The combo of a salty buttery cracker and this decadent ice cream was awesome! We were fighting over his last bite! LOL

Rose — April 20, 2012 at 10:00 pm

hi averie!
    i have tried to make this twice and while i LOVE the flavor, it gets really icey in my freezer and even though i let it thaw 10-15 minutes before eating, it is still icey =( so we have been enjoying it as pudding, right after we make it. any ideas on how to make it creamy, like how yours looks in the photos?
    thanks!!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — April 20th, 2012 at 10:10 pm

It could be the milk you’re using; some milk is going to ice over more, i.e. cream won’t do it as much as skim or a nut milk

Your freezer could be too cold by a few degrees.

You may not be blending it long enough in your blender. You have to blend for a LONG time to get it creamy….5+ minutes perhaps. I’d try that and make your freezer warmer by a couple degrees; that happens to food to me as well if my freezer is too cold.

LMK what you try!!

Brandi — April 21, 2012 at 8:48 pm

Made this tonight in my ice cream maker. I used almond milk (unsweetened) and sugar in the raw. It came out fine. It was a bit sweet, though! Tastes pretty much like banana-vanilla-y to me…can’t tell anything avocado about it. Great recipe!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — April 21st, 2012 at 10:11 pm

Glad you enjoyed it and I like my ice cream sweeet. But of course, scale back on the sweetener, to your taste. Plus everyone’s avocados and bananas are different ripeness and sweetness levels so sweeten to taste. Thanks for LMK you made it!

Suzanne B — May 1, 2012 at 8:09 pm

Looks delish! Averie, how do you stay so svelte with all those sweets?

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — May 1st, 2012 at 10:13 pm

Moderation. A bite, a taste, a piece. I don’t need 7 bowls of ice cream or a half pan of brownies. They will always be there; I indulge in what I want, then, move on. Not a biggie, actually.

Drayre — May 6, 2012 at 8:24 am

Amazing! I am one of those people with a standoffish relationship with avocado. It is not the taste that bothers me (I agree, it is mild) it is the texture. I can only eat avocado if it is paired with something really crunchy. But this recipe was fantastic I only had plain kefir so that is what I used for the liquid. No avocado issues at all. I am regular raw banana ice cream maker. I am going to have to add this into rotation.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — May 6th, 2012 at 9:03 am

Thanks for the glowing report and comment. I always tell this to people; even those who aren’t “that into” avocados tend to really like this recipe & glad you fall into that camp!

angie — May 31, 2012 at 2:16 pm

how many would this serve? i’m planning to try the recipe out for a get-together (3 adults, 6 kids) and am wondering if i should double or triple?

thanks!
    angie

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — May 31st, 2012 at 2:29 pm

I’d double it unless they have really big appetites but it’s a personal decision…hard to say :) It freezes well so make a triple batch and have leftovers I guess, too! LMK how it goes over!

• angie replied: — May 31st, 2012 at 10:39 pm

thank you for letting me know!!

Kimberley Hensen — June 5, 2012 at 6:50 am

Hi Averie,

I was wondering if this would work in an ice cream maker as well… Minus the ice of course, as we do not own a vitamix.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — June 5th, 2012 at 8:04 am

I’m sure it would…you could probably even just stir it by hand or put it into a blender to blend and pour into bowls and freeze. LMK what you try!

kim — July 21, 2012 at 4:13 pm

Just made this for my daughter and I and we loved it! Next time I may try a little less sugar though, 1/2 cup was a little too much for me! Thanks for sharing!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — July 21st, 2012 at 4:28 pm

I’ve found some varieties of avocados (and bananas, too – the riper they are, the sweeter they are) tend to be sweeter than others, and of course personal taste preferences, too, can impact how much sugar is optimal. Glad you enjoyed it!

• Kim replied: — July 21st, 2012 at 4:56 pm

Can’t wait to have more! :o)

Pooja Parikh1 — July 26, 2012 at 7:54 pm

I just made this (with coconut milk and replaced the sugar with a 1/4 cup combo of agave nectar and honey. I was slightly skeptical at first, but I dipped my spoon into the blender to try it and fell in LOVE…I may or may not have double dipped. This is absolutely divine! Thank you for sharing!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — July 26th, 2012 at 11:05 pm

I am so glad you made it and yes, this ice cream has people turn up their nose or be really skeptical til they try it, but then they do – and it speaks for itself :) And glad you tried it!! :)

Kathy — August 4, 2012 at 5:34 am

I don’t have a vita mixer but I do have a green star juicer that turns frozen fruit into “ice cream”. I think I will try to adapt your recipe for my juicer and see if it comes out.

Pam — August 5, 2012 at 1:25 pm

OMG!!!!! Wow. This is FANTASTIC. I had made an avocado lime “ice cream” a while back, but it was just too sour. We substituted liquid stevia for the sugar, and it is absolutely wonderful. I’ve not had sugar or fruit (except limes and lemons) and almost no carbs for the better part of this last year (medical diet), so this is quite a treat for me. We made a triple batch :) Thanks so much for this recipe, and all your inspiring ideas. It’s wonderful to see people experimenting and allowing creativity to reign. We will be trying the vegan fudge for sure. All the best, Pam

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — August 5th, 2012 at 5:33 pm

Glad you are so happy with this and thanks for the high praise – it’s one of those recipes that I know sounds a little like, huh really? But it doesn’t disappoint and glad you loved it and thanks for the field report!

Teresa — October 9, 2012 at 1:57 pm

I just made the ice cream and OMG it is delish! Now just have to wait for it to be frozen.. My 2 yr old twin boys love it too. Great way to incorporate something they normally wouldn’t eat! Thanks for the recipe!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — October 9th, 2012 at 3:53 pm

I am so happy to hear it’s going to be a hit with you and the kiddos! :)

Nancy Cronk — February 21, 2013 at 2:07 pm

Put in a handful of dates instead of sugar. Tastes amazing!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — February 21st, 2013 at 3:37 pm

I am glad you are loving it Thanks for LMK you tried it!

Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat — May 12, 2013 at 2:46 pm

I had to come and tell you that I made this “ice cream” today and it is amazing! I absolutely love it! It’s so creamy and flavorful! I used unsweetened coconut milk and agave. It was perfect and came together in no time! Thanks so much for an awesome recipe! I will definitely be making it regularly!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — May 12th, 2013 at 3:03 pm

Oh yay!! Glad you loved it so much! I think it’s a great alternative to real ice cream if you want to avoid dairy since avocado is so creamy and rich! Glad you loved it & thanks for lmk! ;)

Ice Cream Magic — May 27, 2013 at 6:20 am

Making avocado flavored ice cream seems unique. Thank you for posting this article.

Lara Richardson — July 10, 2013 at 8:51 pm

Another successful recipe for me to keep on file! Really enjoyed this and so very easy!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — July 10th, 2013 at 11:45 pm

Thanks for trying this one, too! You’re awesome for trying so many of my recipes!

Slauwkoo — March 31, 2014 at 10:01 pm

this looks great and will have to try it – after it is frozen in the container can one blend it up again just before serving to soften it up? Nicely done with step by step pictures except your comment by the banana picture may be either too much information or there’s some words missing. LOL!!

Sara — May 18, 2014 at 6:21 pm

I put just a little mint extract in this…heaven! I wish with all of my wishes that I had some carob chips to throw in there too!
    Love the recipe!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — May 19th, 2014 at 4:26 am

Thanks for trying this one, Sara! I appreciate it as it’s a few years old but still works :)