Weekend Mornings & Less Sensitive

I started off my Saturday morning with enough coffee to be bouncing off the walls a glorious cup of coffee.

I love the coffee here!  Well, I love coffee in general.

I’ve reviewed a dozen coffees from TJ’s to Starbucks to flavored Smores Coffee

And I’ve posted about Caffeine AddictionOh well. But I do love the local, Dutch coffee here, caffeine and all.

Skylar loves the bread here.

I used to love it.

It’s called Muesli Bread and it’s a hearty-textured bread, full of seeds and oats, yet the actual bread itself is really soft.  It’s pretty much “perfect” bread in my book.

But I don’t eat it anymore.  Boo! Although I do eat gluten in small quantities these days, I don’t sit down to pieces of bread.

Now, White Chocolate Blondies with Chocolate Peanut Butter Frosting, well I’ll gladly sit down to those.

If I am going to push the gluten envelope, it’s going to be in dessert form.

Gina recently posted about decreased gluten sensitivity after giving her tummy a rest from it, too.

In a nutshell, after five years of being strictly gluten free (and vegan) and healing my gut with fermented foods like:

homemade kombucha

homemade coconut milk kefir (make it on your countertop, so easy!)

and probiotics (I order them from iHerb.com and to save $5 off your iHerb.com order use code: AVE630  Stock up on your stevia, protein powder, nutritional yeast, supplements and more while you’re at it.  Never pay retail again.)

I do believe my gut can tolerate small amounts of gluten now that it’s healed, but I am careful not to overdo it and end up where I spend many, many years of my life which was in GI distress.

Food allergies, gut health, gluten sensitivity, and how everyone’s body works is all so individual and it’s lots of trial and error to find what works for you is my best advice.

Also, some would disagree with this line of thought in entirely and in no way am I suggesting what I do will work for others or that you should do it.  Clearly I wasn’t Celiac and people who are, can should never have gluten again, period.  I’m simply sharing my own personal experience and because I’ve been receiving lots of emails about it, I thought I’d mention it.

These pancakes don’t have gluten and they’re vegan

And my Microwave Blueberry Banana Oat Cakes are GF and vegan.

And you can make them in the microwave.  My idea of a timesaver on weekend mornings.

You can also make them without blueberries, the original Microwave Banana Oat Cakes, and jut add nut butter.

From my last post about the Fantastic Food Finds from the past week, I’m glad you enjoyed those.  So many amazing bloggers with so many awesome recipes.  If it wasn’t so hot here, I’d be more inclined to turn on my oven and bake but for now, I can just drool.

If you missed that post or it didn’t show up in your Google Reader, sorry about that.  Something went haywire with WordPress and the date and timestamp it tried to give the post.

1. How do you like to start off your weekend mornings?  Or any morning?

Brush my teeth, wash my face, make the bed, and hug my pumpkin.  Oh yes, and coffee.

2. Do you have any thoughts about the decreased gluten sensitivity issue over time?

Or, the same thing could be asked for other allergies/sensitvities/intolerances from soy to nightshades or even to pollen and ragweed.

Do you think that a person can become less sensitive to things as time goes on, or not really?

I know that I am more sensitive to certain things as time passes like certain smells that used to bug me now really irritate me like bus exhaust, diesel fumes, or cigarette smoke.  I’m more sensitive to those things the older I get.

3. Doing anything fun or exciting this weekend?

I hope so!

I know there’s FitBloggin‘, BlogHer Food in Atlanta, and Eat Write Retreat all going on this weekend!  Lots of bloggie friends are attending those events so I can’t wait to hear all about them.

I’m off to the beach!

Hope the weather cooperates!

41 Responses to “Weekend Mornings & Less Sensitive”

Tori (Fresh Fruition) — May 21, 2011 at 7:43 am

All your GF treats look so good! I’ll have to give them a shot and / or make some for my GF friend! I don’t think I’d be missing the gluten in any of those! Haha!

I think I’ll go make myself a cup of coffee, too! :)

Anna — May 21, 2011 at 7:46 am

Those blondies look too good to be true, definitely worth the gluten. But most of the time, when you can make food that looks as awesome as those pancakes, say, why would you even need the gluten-full version? Yum.

Ari@ThE DiVa DiSh — May 21, 2011 at 7:53 am

That bread sounds delicious! I was fully GF for 2 years and then I slowly started introducing it. I still eat some things GF, but too much of Gluten gives me a tummy ache..like a bowl full of pasta. :) But yes..dessert is ALWAYS an exception!

Tasha @ Voracious — May 21, 2011 at 8:04 am

That sounds like my perfect bread, too! The more good stuff packed into it the better. And you know…I don’t drink coffee, but s’more coffee? I might just have to make an exception for that. Sounds INCREDIBLE!

Today is the start of our work week here in Saudi Arabia, but we had errands to run in Bahrain, and while there we ate at Paul, a yummy little French bistro. It has some of the best food on the island!

Christine (The Raw Project) — May 21, 2011 at 8:11 am

I’m a huge coffee fan too, but it’s the only caffeine I have in the morning and I don’t worry about it. The bread looks great. Interesting on gluten.

1. Weekend mornings are usually more laid back with coffee, breakfast and the gym.
    2. Not really, I feel for those with gluten sensitivity though.
    3. Maybe, who knows. :-) For now moving furniture, listing stuff on Craigslist and maybe a little shopping.

Jess@HealthyExposures — May 21, 2011 at 8:19 am

That bread looks amazing – definitely my kind of bread! I love fresh baked stuff with lots of nuts and seeds :]
    That said – I’m a fan of your gluten free and vegan pancakes, too. Speaking of which; it’s been entirely too long since I’ve had pancakes at all!
    I enjoy starting off my mornings with coffee, too. lately it’s been of the iced variety, too! green mountain extra bold hazelnut with a few drops of nunaturals cocoa bean extract and almond milk has been my jam ;)

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — May 21st, 2011 at 2:15 pm

thanks for reminding me that you’ve made the pancakes…you’re awesome :)

nunats cocoa bean extra…have used it before to make hot cocoa but never in coffee. thanks for the idea!

CH — May 21, 2011 at 8:27 am

Looks like it’s going to be a gorgeous day in Aruba! Have fun!

Holly @ The Runny Egg — May 21, 2011 at 8:34 am

I’m glad you are able to have some gluten here and there — and you know your body best so you do what works for you!

Weekend morning rituals — I get up earlier than Jason, so I usually make myself a cup of coffee or tea and catch up on blogs or watch tv. About 8am or so I go crawl back into bed for a nap. So basically we have lazy mornings and I love it!

Amber K — May 21, 2011 at 9:24 am

Same way I start every morning, wake up, brush teeth, sip lemon water, eat breakfast. Then I can start my day!

I’m really hoping that I will one day be less sensitive to gluten. I just recently learned about my sensitivity and it seems like I just discover more and more things that my stomach can’t tolerate. I’m hoping to build up my gut so that it can stop being so picky!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — May 21st, 2011 at 2:16 pm

it took YEARS for me to get to the less sensitive place…i spent most of my life getting worse before i got better so hang in there!

julie — May 21, 2011 at 9:34 am

for someeee reason this post reminded me of the quinoa bread i just recently bought from tjs! i’m not sure if it’s gluten free BUT if it is you should try it because its dewiiiiishious! i mean clearly its no arubian bread but hey! it might be 2nd to it? hahaha <3 you girl!

mi-an — May 21, 2011 at 10:05 am

I’m going camping tonite for my gf’s 30th bday! yay!

Ela — May 21, 2011 at 10:10 am

I’m so happy for you that you’re finding you can eat some gluten ok. I really believe that a good ‘way of eating’ should strengthen our systems so that we can make occasional ‘excursions’ away from it. Phil’s daughter can eat gluten occasionally without penalty. I know that I can’t, though–I accidentally ate a crumb (careless–ate a yam out of a crummy plate) a few weeks ago and was sick for two days or so…–but lately I’ve been ok with a bit of rice, which was making me sick a year or two ago…
    love
    Ela

katie @ KatieDid — May 21, 2011 at 10:14 am

yes I’ve heard a lot about healing the gut with probiotics and how this can help digestion issues. I’ve been off gluten for a while, and lately I’ve been eating too much dairy and have been having issues with it too. It’s all a balancing act I think! I’m hoping I can eat moderate amounts of both in the future but for now I’m taking it easy on dairy. I always always start my mornings with coffee and cream, some quick blogging, and occasionally ellen degeneres!

lindsay — May 21, 2011 at 10:45 am

i agree with you and gina. I can handle a little gluten these days. I spent a few years doing the same, kombucha, no dairy, and lots of probiotics. Thank goodness! Well said Averie.

Moni'sMeals — May 21, 2011 at 11:08 am

It is BLONDIE Heaven all over! I am in!

That bread looks so good to me, I don’t know why, I am like ou not a huge bread person, but this kind, I want some. :)

My new morning routine, I just started this week—coffee and journal. So far so good.

Have a good one Averie!

Carrie @ poet in the pantry — May 21, 2011 at 11:44 am

Wow! That beach seems like a good compromise on the 3 blogging events this weekend!

I’m with you on the gluten, BTW. If you can’t have a lot of it, save it for dessert. Make it count! :)

Katherine: Unemployed — May 21, 2011 at 12:25 pm

I am so in love with coffee too! Do you do anything for your teeth for it?

Jen — May 21, 2011 at 12:33 pm

I have crohn’s so trying to figure out what I can and can’t eat can be hard. I tend to over due my fiber but I love my veggies and have a hard time not eating them.
    I have a aloe allergy which is frustrating because these days everything has aloe, I have yet to find a aloe free womans razor so everytime I shave I feel like my skins on fire. I also noticed some liquid vitamins have aloe so I have to check everything, I can’t even go near a plant. If I get sunburned forget thank good I have olive skin and don’t burn easy!

Maria @ runningcupcake — May 21, 2011 at 1:10 pm

Hey I just found your blog and perfect timing- my boyfriend requested blondies for tomorrow! Now I normally make pb white chocolate blondies, but I love the idea of making normal blondies and giving them a topping! I will be trying that recipe tomorrow so thanks :)

Heidi @ Food Doodles — May 21, 2011 at 1:10 pm

Mmm, I used to love coffee but dropped it when I had kids and because my husband doesn’t drink it. Maybe one day I’ll get back to it because it all looks so yummy :) I usually start my morning feeding everyone else and then wondering why I’m starving half an hour later, haha. We just got back from our parade this weekend. The kids had so much fun, it was great :D I was a bad blogger and didn’t take the camera, I just wanted to have fun without it :)

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — May 21st, 2011 at 2:18 pm

“I usually start my morning feeding everyone else and then wondering why I’m starving half an hour later, haha. “–
      That would be me to a T! And I think most moms, too :)

Good for you for leaving the cam at home and just enjoying the moment!

Katie — May 21, 2011 at 2:34 pm

Every morning starts with coffee. And lots of it.

I think that lots of gluten does a number on your (or some peoples’ systems) and that takes a while to heal, but after it heals, small amounts can be tolerated. Same with dairy. I’ve been eating little bits of yogurt here and there and no problems!

cathy — May 21, 2011 at 2:40 pm

hope you’re enjoying a hot and sunny aruba saturday, averie!
    i start every day the same: up at 5 a.m., do emails, read blogs/knit/drink 3 cups of starbucks via coffee, work. this is 100% the best way to start my day and the routine suits me to a T!
    GREAT TOPIC re gluten sensitivity etc. i went GF in april and have never felt better, digestion-wise. that being said, there is a time and place for exceptions. small bits and i seem to be ok. thanks for sharing about your evolution! so interesting how we are all unique.

Jess — May 21, 2011 at 4:12 pm

I like to start them off with a leisurely breakfast and then gym time :D But lately no morning has been “leisurely!!”

Heather @ Get Healthy With Heather — May 21, 2011 at 5:59 pm

Your treats always look mouth watering! I want those blondies!!! And coffee first thing in the AM, I always pre-set the coffee maker so I don’t have to wait any extra minute to get to it, haha.

Christina — May 21, 2011 at 7:31 pm

I love my Saturday and Sunday mornings! I’ll spend a couple hours out on my bike, running in the park – something OUTSIDE! And I’ll change up my breakfast routine. Maybe some homemade oatmeal with any yummy fruit I’ve got around the house, always a delish juice, sometimes a bowl of fruit from my local vendors. Then it’s time to relax – read my blogs, head to church, read a book. I HAVE to try your gluten-free, vegan pancakes – they look fab!

reid — May 22, 2011 at 4:13 am

You know, I’m always amazed how different everyone’s systems are. That’s really nice that you can add back a few things slowly. (I would definitely go the dessert route if I did!!) I have also noticed a change in my emotional well- being as well as immense physical improvement since I went gluten free. It’s been really wonderful, so I don’t miss it. :)
    I’m definitely more sensitive to cigarette smoke, smells (especially cologne from old boy friends…). But I’ve seen people who can get less sensitive too- my Mom has less allergies to food than she used to.

My mornings start kinda like yours do- wash face, do situps and play with my cat, drink coffee…lotsa coffee…

T.C. — May 22, 2011 at 6:23 am

Wow, I didn’t know you had a gluten problem and GI stress. I have tummy probs and try not to eat gluten but don’t always win out.
    Were you always in great shape or did cutting back on gluten help?
    I really love your recipes!

That coffee looks yummy!

I hate spam, too!

Keely (Sky Blue) — May 22, 2011 at 9:06 pm

OHHH my goodness. Those pancakes look AHMAZING!!!!

Krista — May 24, 2011 at 11:19 am

I like to start my weekend mornings with coffee, oats (or cereal) and my laptop. Bliss!

I find that as I get older more things bother me. I was just diagnosed with asthma last year which really bothers me b/c I have no control over my triggers which include environmental causes (ragweed, cut grass, dust, etc). Unfortunatley the office is the worst for me b/c of the exposed ceiling and fans that run constantly. Perfume is something that irritates me now, too. Something that has improved though is spicy food. I use to get horrible heartburn from it, but now I seem OK as long as I don’t overdo it. :)

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — May 24, 2011 at 9:20 pm

Good for you for making your bed each morning … I really need to learn to do that before I have kids!

Beth — May 25, 2011 at 7:47 am

I start my mornings with a HUGE glass of water. About an hour later I have my green smoothie.

Less sensitive: I’m glad you are able to re-introduce small amounts of gluten. I am not ready or willing to do that yet. The closest I get to any gluten happens when we go out for sushi, and I use the soy sauce that the restaurant provides. Otherwise, no gluten. Period.