Wild Animals, Wild Child

Thanks to everyone for your wonderful comments and private emails from my last post, Playlist & Workout Safety post.  What happened to me was years ago, and I am “fine” now, but at the time, it was horrific and changed my life.

If there ever is a “silver lining” to violent crime, one such silver lining for me is that I became much more aware of my surroundings, my personal safety, and various behaviors that could leave me at risk for future crime.

No one ever “deserves” awful things happening, of course, but being smart, taking precautions, and just playing it as safe as possible is wise.  For me, that includes not running with music.

However, I am careful to not let what happened cause me to live a fear-based life.  I don’t live my life in fear.  I continue to live my life and do what I want; I just play it a little safer.

It was interesting that many of you commented and said you don’t worry about attacks from humans, but encountering wild animals is more likely.  I grew up in rural Minnesota on gravel roads where it was more common to see cow and deer than people.  I can relate.

Here in Aruba, I frequently see wild chickens.

Excuse the grainy picture but this was as good as my zoom lens could do with fast moving mama chicken and her babies that were scampering quickly.

Not as exciting as the zoom lens photos I took hereAhem.

I also see wild cats.

And plenty of other unphotograped dogs, birds, and goats.

When I first came to Aruba in 1996 (and fell in love with it here and knew I’d live here in some capacity) there were tons and tons of wild goats.  Billy goats.

But as the hotels have been built and the development has continued…

…There are very few wild goats anymore here.

Notice the crane.  There was a moratorium on beachfront development for awhile which was a blessing but somehow the big hotels are getting their properties built, oceanfront.

Wild animals Wild people can be found on these buses, daily, too.

And the wild flowers that grow here are lovely.

Right now, it’s time for me to get wild and make a Microwave Oatmeal Banana Cake with PB.

The microwave is all I can manage and as wild as I can get in the heat.

And maybe I’ll get wild and make Raw Vegan Peanut Butter Cups later.

Another microwave special.

1. Do you have wild animals in your area?

In San Diego and southern California where the weather is warm year round, almost every imaginable animal could survive but in urban San Diego where I live, I don’t see too many “wild” animals in my daily life.

I know there are snakes though that are “wild” and in there area.  I have a phobia! Eek!

And in Aruba, cats, dogs, iguanas, lizards, rodents, bugs, goats, chickens.  Lots of wild going on here.

2. Have you done anything wild lately?

I wouldn’t call it “wild” but I did book a trip somewhere that was very impromptu and spur of the moment.

I didn’t plan it, over-think it, or over-research it.  I just booked it.  That’s as wild as I get these days.

3. Do you consider yourself more of a “tame” person or more “wild child”?  Or a mixture?

I am a mixture and being a mom does take the wild out of a person.  And anyone who says it doesn’t and that kids don’t change them, well, they probably don’t have kids!

I used to be a wild child and a life-of-the-party girl.  Not always though.  I always studied hard, worked hard, but I played hard, too.  And it was great to be able to buckle down when I needed to, but still cut loose and get wild when I wanted to.

You can read about some of my wilder adventures here.

Have a great evening!

66 Responses to “Wild Animals, Wild Child”

Kaitlyn — May 31, 2011 at 1:47 pm

Mmm, banana oat cake! Those have been my go-to dessert lately.
    1. Where I grew up we had tons of wild turkeys, pheasants, rabbits, dear, moose, even bears. Now I’m in a small city and I don’t see much of it.
    2. Wildest things I’ve done recently are a) decide to skydive this coming Thursday, and b) book a trip to Italy that will make my budget pretty tight!
    3. I’ve never been a wild child in the traditional sense of the word. I love my schoolwork, sleep, and 5am workouts!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — May 31st, 2011 at 1:55 pm

awww thanks for telling me they’re your go-to dessert!

and skydiving this morning? yes that definitely qualifies as wild! as well as just booking a trip to italy. i love your zest for living it up!

kris (everyday oats) — May 31, 2011 at 1:48 pm

Squirrels, racoons, and possums are pretty much as wild as it gets around where I live. And sometimes the occasional coyote. It seems like wild chickens are very fond of beachy areas. When I visited Kauai there were wild chickens running around all over the island!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — May 31, 2011 at 1:48 pm

Haha…I always try to take pictures of chickens when we’re in the Caribbean, and they always move WAY too fast for me :-)

Ela — May 31, 2011 at 2:10 pm

Ha–we live in bear country! It’s not really a joke, though–makes composting a pain and potentially dangerous. Also snowshoe hares who’ve been eating all our trees through the winter (killed an astonishing number of trees in town) and may yet eat our entire summer garden. And squirrels and voles, soon mosquitoes…Yep–wildlife galore here!

Holly @ The Runny Egg — May 31, 2011 at 2:20 pm

I am very tame, timid and shy. But every once in a while I turn into a wild child big time. It depends on who I am with and what we’re doing — sometimes alcohol turns this on more, but not all the time. Booze tends to make me even more mellow

You know the animals I see — deer, turkeys, rabbits, foxes, woodchucks, bears, ducks, loons, geese (millions and millions of geese!), etc.

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} — May 31, 2011 at 2:36 pm

We have some wild animals around here but nothing too exciting: ducks, geese, rabbits, deer, squirrels, raccoons, etc.
    Sadly, I haven’t done anything too wild lately. I was much more wild in my younger days, but as you admit, being a mom takes the wild from you. Now the wild only comes out once in a while. ;-)

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn — May 31, 2011 at 2:37 pm

Aruba is so beautiful!!! Your photographs remind me so much of Nicaragua, I can’t wait to go back!

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) — May 31, 2011 at 2:37 pm

Goats!! Dustin and I love goats :) We hope to have some one day–as pets, not for dinner!

We have all sorts of wild animals in our backyard, mainly deer. We had bears in one of our other houses. I have a pic of one sitting on our lawn, lol.

I’m a mixture of wild and tame; I’m a switch hitter like that, lol.

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — May 31st, 2011 at 2:47 pm

switch hitter. lol

you and i would have SO MUCH FUN and we will, one day, in person when we finally meet!

Katie — May 31, 2011 at 2:45 pm

Work hard and play hard – that about sums me up too. I was a wild child for a few years….I think we all go through that. I didn’t have kids, but I did get “old”. ;)

I love that there are wild chickens! I want to go to Aruba so badly after seeing all your photos!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — May 31st, 2011 at 2:48 pm

“I want to go to Aruba so badly after seeing all your photos!”— my standing offer still stands.

Alex@Spoonful of Sugar Free — May 31, 2011 at 2:49 pm

There are so many vultures and alligators where I live!

Christine (The Raw Project) — May 31, 2011 at 3:08 pm

Fun Aruba pics, lots of wild chickens and turkeys here too.

1. Yes, rabbits, turkeys, foxes, chickens, owls, and more.
    2. Not really, except failing at a lentil burger recipe experiment. :-P I’d like to just take off on a trip and really need to, but it’s tough now with hubby’s work schedule.
    3. Somewhere in the middle, I seem to be getting wilder with age though instead of mellowing out.

Emily — May 31, 2011 at 3:20 pm

We have tons of deer and geese around here…
    I am definitely a mixture, though I tend to be more on the tame side most of the time!

Jenn L @ Peas and Crayons — May 31, 2011 at 3:24 pm

I think I just drooled when the PB cups popped up! I was expecting more wild animal and beach photos and then BAM! ya got me! =) haha

Enjoy the beach! mwaaah!

Red Deception — May 31, 2011 at 3:43 pm

I live in the downtown area of my city, and I see TONS of wild animals! For a while there was an arctic fox living under a broken-down truck in the parking lot. I’ve also seen many Arctic hares, ptarmigan, black bears, geese, and even a lynx!

I’ve managed to avoid any confrontation with animals, but I try to be cautious and not aggravate the wild animals!

Madeline - Greens and Jeans — May 31, 2011 at 3:56 pm

I’m pretty tame MOST of the time, but I can definitely party with the best of them! Of course, I haven’t really raged since college, but I’m never one to turn down a tequila shot!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — May 31st, 2011 at 4:46 pm

why didnt we do any of those when we both lived in phx? what were we thinking?! would have been the perfect way to cope w/ the place :)

Jess — May 31, 2011 at 4:25 pm

That microwave cake looks soooo good!! Mmm, you have suchhhh delicious food :D

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — May 31, 2011 at 4:37 pm

I am definitely a mixture of WILD child and tame. I have multiple personalities, depending what I am doing :-) At University everyone always thinks I am studious, and innocent … but if they go out with me on a Saturday night, they might see something different!

I made one of your banana oat cakes for breakfast! Yummm!!!!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — May 31st, 2011 at 4:49 pm

you made it for breakkie? thanks for lmk!

and after meeting you at FBuzz, you are definitely more spirited, i wouldnt say “wild” but you are much more va-va-voom than i would have guessed from your blog…which was an awesome surprise :)

xo

cathy — May 31, 2011 at 4:53 pm

i am soooo not a wild child. i’ve gotten more outgoing since childhood, but i’m not very crazy!
    yup – aruba has changed a lot even in the years we’ve been going (since the early 2000’s) – the marriott, the new mall, the aruba divi phoenix tower…all built since we first went. i heard a rumour in march that ritz-carlton (or hilton?) is building beside the marriott, where the windsurfers are based now…
    so sorry to hear of the incident in your past…thanks for sharing, averie.
    hope you have a great eve. i bet your tan is amazing by now!!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — May 31st, 2011 at 4:56 pm

you’re so sweet…i am tan, yes…not ridic more so than i was when i came but i am tan :)

and yes the development and growth here is mind boggling. for me and my property value, it’s good. for the overall island, i hope they stop soon. it’s got “enough” going on. we dont need more more more down here. it’s only 20 miles long, ya know!

Erin — May 31, 2011 at 5:48 pm

Hi Averie- LOVE LOVE LOVE reading your blog! I’m from MN too! Where are u from?

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — May 31st, 2011 at 5:55 pm

glad you love it!

i grew up in the middle of no where about 50 miles west of the cities and parents live in Minnetonka/Chan area now.

and i went to college there.

Small world! :)

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — May 31, 2011 at 6:29 pm

Deer and cyotes are about as wild as it gets around here! I’m such a tame person – I’ve never been a wild child!

Heidi @ Food Doodles — May 31, 2011 at 6:51 pm

Haha, we have snakes too but they’re tiny. I quite frequently have to rescue my hubby from them because he can’t stand them. I don’t mind them as much, but I’m not a fan, haha. We have other wild animals like deer, elk, moose etc. I don’t classify those as too “wild” though. When I think of wild I think of things that would like to eat me. Although my little sister in law used to be afraid to wait for the bus on dark mornings because she thought the elk out in the field were going to “get” her, haha. I was wild as a little kid and then I calmed down and I’m pretty tame now. And yes I think having kids does that. But I never wanted to be the center of attention or anything like that. Not my thing. I haven’t done anything wild even for me in a long time, haha. Read: I’m totally boring. :D

Bria @ West of Persia — May 31, 2011 at 7:34 pm

I missed your last post, but I’m so glad you’re fine and have found the silver lining from what must have been very scary and traumatic. It reminds me of that book “The Gift of Fear.” A must-read.

Wild animals in my area? Sure! In nearby parks, I see wild geese, ducks, turkeys, and turtles all the time. Cranes, too, sometimes. The usual urban animals like pigeons and squirrels abound, as do raccoons. Yes, raccoons in NYC. And sadly, other types of rodents. In my apt, my kitteh has his wild moments.

I’m def a mixture. Pretty mild nowadays, but that can change. Depending. ;-)

Probably the wildest thing I’ve done lately was chowing down on absurb amounts of watermelon. No joke, I ate about half of a good sized one in about 24 hours. Haaa!

Marcia @Frugal Healthy Simple — May 31, 2011 at 8:00 pm

We’ve got skunks. The occasional coyote finds its way down here. Plus the very occasional mountain lion or bear.

I am as tame as tame can be. I’ve not ever smoked a cig, much less anything stronger or done any illegal drug. Which in So Cal, makes me a rarity.

I also have no piercings or tattoos. Maybe I’m just boring. :)

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — May 31st, 2011 at 8:44 pm

no tatts or piercings and no substances…are you sure you really live in CA? :)

• Marcia @Frugal Healthy Simple replied: — May 31st, 2011 at 9:31 pm

My excuse is that I didn’t grow up here. I’m a transplant. :)

But even in my home town of rural Western PA, the no cigs/drugs/tattoos/and piercings would make me a rarity. I think once I got to 22 and never did it, I wasn’t going to start (not when it was my own money!)

kate — May 31, 2011 at 8:10 pm

ahh that cat is precious!!

Laura — May 31, 2011 at 8:38 pm

So many great memories on the kuku kunuku buses!!! :D We met some real characters. I should email you a picture… think red mesh shirt, knee brace, and long mustache. All on the same guy, lol.

I live in Virginia so we have squirrels, deer, some turkeys… not too much in my area because it’s too developed.

I haven’t done anything wild recently BUT I’m in a wedding this weekend out of town so you never know what might happen!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — May 31st, 2011 at 8:45 pm

have fun at the wedding! always anyone’s guess at weddings, i swear, what can or will happen. open bar maybe? :)

kuku kunuku buses, oh yes, scott and i have been passengers back in the day. memories!

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit — May 31, 2011 at 8:59 pm

Wild goats… nice! haha Last animal I saw was a deer followed by a pack of coyotes. The deer was fine, she saw me, I saw her and she ran in the opposite direction. The coyotes… well, they howled a bunch and started tip toeing toward me. Scariest thing EVER. A group of coyotes attacked a lady down the road from our home last year and she died. Last time I ran early in the morning!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table — May 31, 2011 at 10:03 pm

Pretty “wild” cat!

As far as being wild vs. tame, I think I was about like you. I was the life of any party – in school I could always locate beer, pierced my own ears 11x, got some tattoos… but I knew where that line was and what I needed to get done in order to be successful. Thank. God. ;)

Cait's a Runnerchick — May 31, 2011 at 10:31 pm

just hopped over here from CCK’s blog and i’m looking forward to hearing what you have to say about baking with beans! i was so thrown when i kept seeing beans popping up in so many of her droolworthy recipes, but like you said if it’s got her stamp of approval i’m a believer! ;)

that said, i don’t live around any wild animals, but growing up one of my friends had lots of goats and chickens…not really all that wild but fun to play around with. hehe. i’m not a real wild child in the usual sense, but like you probably more of a mixture. i think i’d say i can be spontaneous and always up for a fun challenge.

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — May 31st, 2011 at 10:38 pm

the bean post is going live in 2.5 hours :) stay tuned!

your last comment to me re you being hit by a car…omg that’s horrific and i am so sorry. thank god you’re “okay” but what a shake up, how scary, and awful. sadly ive known many runners who’ve been struck by cars. just so horrible!

• Cait's a Runnerchick replied: — June 1st, 2011 at 12:16 am

the countdown is on! ;)

thank you so much for your sympathies regarding my car accident, it’s been eye opening and like you said terrible that it isn’t that uncommon at all. careless drivers and malicious pedestrians need to be taken off the streets!

mi-an — May 31, 2011 at 10:52 pm

i will be making lots of those microwave oat cake since we remodeling our kitch and all that’s there is a microwave! :)

just saw your other post about running and music…sorry about happened to you. we just have to be smart bc crimes happen anywhere like you said. i actually run with music…but that post got me thinking. when i do run, it’s in busy street which i think is a good idea now that i think about it.
    but still just have to becareful.

i am def a wild child…my fave quote “adventure is out there!!” ~ UP
    whether you’re traveling or just at home, i think you’ll find something fun just around the corner. :)

megan @ the oatmeal diaries — May 31, 2011 at 11:07 pm

Aruba is so breathtakingly beautiful!
    Here in Australia I have actually seen wild kangaroos several times… it’s really cool actually!

Sara (The Veggie Eco-Life) — June 1, 2011 at 1:01 am

I’m glad you don’t let fear take control of your life. I can imagine that it must’ve been horrifying, but it’s important that YOU have control over YOUR life. So I think you’re a pretty strong woman :)

I’m not really afraid of wild animals in our neighbourhood, people say there are plenty of foxes, but I haven’t seen one yet, they’re probably too shy to come out ;) Plenty of wild rabbits though, but I can’t say I’m afraid of them haha!

Beth — June 1, 2011 at 7:29 am

Wild animals: squirrels, chipmunks, racoons, skunks, small birds (blue jays, cardinals, robins, etc), turkey vultures, deer, frogs, ducks, geese, turkey (at the paintball field), foxes, beaver, and the black crows & sea gulls abound on garbage day.

Not so much of a wild child myself. Although I do occasionally do things spur of the moment.

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — June 1st, 2011 at 7:41 am

thanks for lmk in your last comment about the avocado-banana ice cream and that it was a hit…w/ hubs too! yay!

Val @ Ramblings of a Babymama — June 1, 2011 at 7:36 am

Averie!
    I just made the Banana oatmeal cake for breakfast and it was DELICIOUS! Thanks so much for such a quick recipe!

1. We have wildcats, bears, rabbits, deers and squirrels where I live so plenty of wild animals!
    2. I haven’t done anything really wild lately, being the mom of a 6-months old baby girl is wild enough for me! ;)
    3. I guess I’m the wild child of my family, but I would still consider myself pretty tame. I’m only “wild” because I traveled a lot and moved 5000km away from my family to start my own and don’t hold the same monetary values as the rest of my family. If that makes me wild, I guess I am!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — June 1st, 2011 at 7:42 am

thanks for lmk the Banana oatmeal cake for breakfast was a hit!

“being the mom of a 6-months old baby girl is wild enough for me! ;)”– yep
      but motherhood wasnt going to change me. sure. haha!

Joya Towne — June 1, 2011 at 8:21 am

We have wild turkey, deer, coyotes, fox, rabbits, snakes, and bobcats. I”m probably forgetting something, but those are the common ones anyway. I love coming down my driveway and seeing rabbits hopping to get out of the way and turkeys running and deer jumping. (we live way out in the country)
    Not sure I’ve done anything wild lately although I have two little boys, 10 mths and 6 years and that’s probably all the wildness I need..
    I’m more tame than wild but I have my moments;0)

Amber K — June 1, 2011 at 8:44 am

I am totally not a wild child! I prefer to keep it safe. I wish I could be spontaneous and crazy, but it’s just not me! I prefer comfort and routine with some fun sprinkled in. Controlled fun is still fun, right? Wow, this makes me sound super boring, lol!

eva — June 1, 2011 at 8:56 am

hello! new to your blog…but have been following for a while….just never commented yet…..with so many blogs to chose from, i can only chose a few to follow….and yours is in my permanent list…this comment is unrelated to your post here, but had to let you know that i have been eating your cookie dough balls for about 4 weeks now–no joke……i do alternate between making carrot cake ones or just plain oats and grinding with some nut (so far, i’ve tried almonds, cashews and macadamias—they all work)…..i’m at the point where i don’t measure, just throw it all in….
    just to let you know, you’ve inspired me to get to blogging….i am just trying to figure out whether to use blogger or wordpress–any reccomendations?..thanks, eva AKA FiveFruitsAndVeggies

eva (FiveFruitsAndVeggies) — June 1, 2011 at 8:59 am

ps how do i get my picture to post when i make comments on your blogs? thx–eva

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — June 1st, 2011 at 9:01 am

google “avatar when making comments on blogs”. it will guide you :)

• eva (FiveFruitsAndVeggies) replied: — June 1st, 2011 at 9:23 am

thanks….just learned about gravatars….and btw, i did read your post about blogging…thanks for your advice : )

Let me just say that we have very similiar tastes in music… my new playlist is pretty darn close to yours!
    As far as wild animals go I have deer, bunnies, racoon’s those types of animals. I consider myself a wild child at heart!! When I go out – I really go out! :)

Ellie@fitforthesoul — June 1, 2011 at 11:51 am

Hmm I think I’m a very carefree and free-spirited person, but I’m tame as in–I don’t go against others b/c I’m kind of a…”peacelover”? haha.

Get Skinny, Go Vegan. — June 1, 2011 at 3:37 pm

Yeah, I’m super paranoid about running outside, when it’s not crowded. S**t happens here all of the time & I don’t want to become a victim of a crime I can’t emotionally undo. I would also want to beat the s**t out of anyone that tried to hurt me in anyway. Like a Kung Fu movie or something. I have zero tolerance for violence, zero. I don’t care where you came from or your pathetic sob story (the perpetrator). If you hurt me or someone I know I wish ya gone from the face of the planet.

I do resent that there is SO much violence against women and then we have SCHMUCKS that try to redefine rape according to how a woman dresses or registers prostitutes as “sex offenders” when the dudes hiring them, the dudes creating the demand, well they get nothing.

I hope someday we can run when & where we want, without having to constantly look over our shoulders.