Aruba Vacation Highlights

It’s hard to believe that we’ve only been back from our vacation for about 10 days.  It already feels like these posts were so long ago!

I wanted to capture all the posts that I wrote from our vacation in one Master Post and this is it.  I have included links to all the posts I wrote when I was in Aruba.  It’s as much for me as it is for everyone else.  That way if I am ever having a meh day I can just pull up this post, relive our vacation, and smile.

The most recent entry is at the top, and the first entry I wrote from our vacation is at the bottom of this post.

Enjoy!

Comforts of Home – Back in San Diego

Rock the Boat – Skylar’s first boat ride

Blogging 103 – Discussed buying your own domain name and self-hosted vs. free WordPress which proved to be very popular with readers and other bloggers.

Braids – The most pictures I think I’ve ever put in one post.  And it was so much fun!

I had ulterior motives why I included so many different images.

Efficiency & New Technology – A new computer is on the horizon! (that post was apparently foreshadowing because as soon as we got back to San Diego, my existing computer died and I got a new iMac)

Healthifying Desserts & Beans in Desserts – Would you eat beans in desserts or do you try to make desserts “healthy”?

The most comments I’ve received on a non-contest/non-giveaway post in ages.  The thoughts, comments, and opinions kept pouring in.  Great reader feedback and comments; thanks!

Wild Animals, Wild Child

Playlist & Workout Safety – I discussed violent crime in my past and why I don’t work out with an iPod or music 99% of the time.  Thanks for the wonderful and supportive comments!

Off the Beach in Aruba local island sights and pictures

Vanilla Avocado Banana Ice Cream (Vegan & No ice cream maker required)

Trips, Workshops, & Conferences – My thoughts on attending blogging workshops, conferences and trips I have planned

Kites & Cats

Angel Food Cake & Berries

Blogging 102 – A continuation of Blogging 101, and in Blogging 102 I shared more blogging do’s and don’ts such as comment replies and finding your own voice.

Savoring Aruba Photos

Vanilla Iced Coffee

Blogging 101- Blogging Do’s & Don’ts: Thou Shall Not Steal, Proper Linking Back of Others’ Recipes, and five important points of mine about blogging if you have a blog or are thinking of starting a blog.

Great reader comments and feedback, too!

Imagination, Thoughts & Local Finds

White Chocolate Recipes

Peach Banana Colada Smoothie

Local Aruba Sights

Career Fantasy & Doing What You Want – I defined some of the elements of what my ideal career includes and encourage everyone to make changes in your own life so that you are doing what you want.

Some of you are doing what you want, some of you aren’t, and it was great to hear about what your fantasy is, and how that’s meshing with your current reality. I hope you have time to read over some of the great comments on the post.

Monday, Funday

Desserts & Healthy Living – My thoughts on how desserts (or whatever your go-to “comfort” food is) fit into an overall healthy and balanced lifestyle.  Moderation is key.  Great reader comments and personal stories, too.

Beach Day in Aruba

Apple Glazed Vegetable & Edamame Stir Fry

Spam City – How to combat spam on your blog

Weekend Mornings & Less Sensitive – Becoming less sensitive to gluten

Blogger Meetup In Aruba

Dates and Recipes using Dates

Quizical – Some fun facts about me

Taste of the Tropics Smoothie

Moon & Beach

Home Redecorating in Aruba – I bought some new furniture for my house in Aruba

Open For Bids – A cookie dough ball auction for charity.

Eating When Traveling – How much do you stick to your “normal” diet vs. sampling the local fare.  Great reader comments.

Sliding Down

Cheesy Taco Casserole

In Aruba & Magazine Feature – I was featured in Women’s Health Magazine!

10 Year Anniversary – Celebrating our 10 year anniversary and I recounted how we met, our Las Vegas wedding, and 10 years later what I’ve learned about marriage and long term partnership.  Amazing reader comments and support.  Truly, the best ever.

Contributing & Superstitious – I am now contributing recipes to Marcus Samuelsson’s website (he won Top Chef Masters and has cooked for President Obama)

And that concludes this trip recap post.

It will be fun for me to compare this post with the Aruba, Christmas 2010 vacation highlights master post.  Skylar grew up so much in just 6 months!

From my last post, it was fun hearing what health and beauty items you’ve been loving lately.

And there are some serious Mac makeup fans, too, it sounds like!

1. Best trip or vacation you’ve ever taken?

Each vacation that we’ve taken with Skylar gets better than the last one so it’s like a new “personal best” with each trip which is wonderful.  Experiencing the vacation through a child’s eyes is priceless and wonderful and brings me so much joy.  It’s similar to the Christmas principle; reliving the magic of the holiday season with your child and through their eyes and for me, that’s what being a parent is all about.

2. Any cherished memories or stories from any past trips or vacations?

Skylar’s braids, the boat ride, time at the beach were all highlights from this past trip.

And Scott and I have taken some really fun trips together in our past life.  Napa and Sonoma come to mind.   Vineyard hopping, drinking wine, staying in bed and breakfasts, getting massages, going to fabulous dinners, and drinking more wine.  Yep, fun memories.

Have a great weekend!

34 Responses to “Aruba Vacation Highlights”

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — June 11, 2011 at 10:07 am

Wow– I can’t believe it’s been 10 days since y’all were in Aruba!!! Vacation time always goes by SO quickly…what a great trip y’all had!

Deborah — June 11, 2011 at 10:14 am

So much goodness all in one post! :)

Christine (The Raw Project) — June 11, 2011 at 10:14 am

I feel that way about vacations too, seems like the busier I am the faster they become a distant memory! :-( Great recap and recipes, I love all the ball recipes and I just created a new one I’ll be posting later today.

1. A tie between Mauii and Carribean cruises.
    2. My dad was heavily into boating growing up and we were members of a yaught club that met a lot during the summer. Sometimes we spent a few weeks tied up with other boats in the middle of the delta with a laid back schedule of swimming, grilling and having parties with occasional trips inland to buy groceries.

WIERDGREENMAN — June 11, 2011 at 10:16 am

Star Wars Celebration V was by far my favorite trip.

Laura-Jane the Rawtarian — June 11, 2011 at 10:49 am

That girl of yours is absolutely beautiful! As are you, of course :)

Jess — June 11, 2011 at 11:18 am

Best vacation definitely goes to Hilton Head island!! :)

Thanks for the highlight post!

katie @ KatieDid — June 11, 2011 at 11:32 am

What a nice post, I’m sure you put a lot of work into it also. I’ve been on many trips mostly because I was a competitive skater for most of my childhood and traveled a lot with my team. My trips to Paris always stick out in my mind as some of the best though. We toured the whole city on a fat-tire bike tour and ended on a night cruise on the la seine drinking wine and looking out to the whole city.

Alex@Spoonful of Sugar Free — June 11, 2011 at 11:37 am

Your pictures are absolutely stunning!!!

And my favorite trips are the ones where I visit family! I just love getting together with my fam and it is so much more fulfilling! Love em!

Ryan — June 11, 2011 at 11:47 am

Thank you for such a great post! The pictures are absolutely stunning. Did you take all of them? Man, I won’t lie, I am very jealous of this trip, haha.

charlotte — June 11, 2011 at 12:14 pm

What a great round up post! (Although now I want cookie dough balls and watermelon – seriously I cannot check your site without having massive cravings.) Loved seeing Skylar getting her hair braided! Looks like you guys had the vacation of a lifetime.

Michelle @ From Seed To Tree — June 11, 2011 at 12:35 pm

Best vacation for me was an Eastern European trip when I was 18 years old. I went with a group from school. Prague, Czech Republic was by far my fav. Bohemian, charming… lots of beautiful old buildings…like little jewels… it was stunning. Charles Bridge is gorgeous. I can’t wait to go back!

lindsay — June 11, 2011 at 1:07 pm

next time, I’m totally inviting myself K?

Katie — June 11, 2011 at 1:47 pm

I had forgotten about that rum pineapple duck sauce….dang.

I love all of my trips equally, but there are some great memories from Panama, London, and Hawaii mostly. I’d say those are my top three. But I bet I could make some stellar memories in Aruba. ;)

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit — June 11, 2011 at 2:35 pm

It looks (and I know) you all had a great time. It’s so great you have a place to retreat to. I love that you did a final summary of your experience! My favorite vacation was our last one to Jamaica when I dove for the first time! As you know, diving is AWESOME!

cathy — June 11, 2011 at 2:38 pm

while i’ve loved each and every aruba vacation, i’d have to say my best trip ever was a three week road trip thru colorado with the ultimate destination being moab, utah. best running of my life. amazing scenery and too many a-ha moments to count.
    averie, this blog post can serve as a photography “portofolio” if you ever need to direct anyone to ONE location to see examples of your photos – from the beach views to the watermelon close-ups, they are simply fabulous.
    i, too, did a summary blog post after my last aruba trip – easiest thing for doing a link-back!
    have a great aft!

marla — June 11, 2011 at 2:51 pm

Averie, I love that you put all of this fabulous stuff in one post. I have to tell you I was smiling the whole time. OK, those apple glazed veggies….where have those been all my life? Adore those photos of Skylar, she is such a pretty little gal! Bet she loved those braids.
    I cannot believe how much you did in Aruba. You captured your experiences there so perfectly & now I want to go there like now!! Gosh, you should be doing more of this travel thing. You write very captivating & tempting posts :)

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table — June 11, 2011 at 2:55 pm

You’re home in Aruba is lovely! My favorite vacation was definitely Italy. I do love Napa too though! i’m actually about to plan a trip back to Italy, but this time it will be wine-focused. Soooo excited!

Amanda Jewell — June 11, 2011 at 4:15 pm

Skylar looks so beautiful!! I love the braids!
    Best vacation ever: I’m blessed to be able to go to Greece twice a year (summer & Christmas/NewYears), but last summer my family took me on a cruise on a private yacht around the Cyclades Islands. We went to 12 different islands and it was … epic. :-)

Lauren — June 11, 2011 at 4:52 pm

Love it! Although I gotta say, reading your blog for the past weeks has just REALLY made me want to go somewhere beautiful like Aruba on vacation!!! Seriously. I am very jealous. I can only hope that one day soon I will be able to enjoy such a vacation, it looks like an absolute blast!

Holly @ The Runny Egg — June 11, 2011 at 7:39 pm

Averie you can see how much time and energy you put into your posts — you do such a great job!

I hope you’re having a nice weekend!

Amber K — June 12, 2011 at 9:01 am

Wow, looking back at past photos you can totally see how much Skylar has grown! She’s so adorable.

I love going on vacations with my husband. We have gone throughout the state of Oregon and to Vegas a couple of times. As long as we’re together I know we’re going to have a great time. I love experiencing new things with him! I can’t wait until we have a child and can experience new things through their eyes.

Beth — June 13, 2011 at 10:19 am

Made the new cookie dough recipe on Saturday. I thought they were great. My husband was ~Meh~ about them and asked for another batch of your bars. Easy to make, so they are all ready for him now. And the rest of the cookie dough balls are for me ;)

Beth — June 13, 2011 at 10:23 am

Best thing I did this weekend: stand back and watch my trainee fly solo at the paintball field. He only had 2 questions all day! Next weekend might be my last working both days at the paintball field. ~Gasp~

Haven’t tried Nutella. Big fan of peanut butter, and chocolate – and both together. Yum!!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — June 13, 2011 at 9:59 pm

My very first big vacation was to Hawaii for two weeks, and it really stands out in my memory. I can still smell the pineapple and mango in the air, and remember how my hair felt when I stepped out into the humid open-air airport.

megan — September 3, 2012 at 10:21 am

It looks like you had an amazing vacation in Aruba.

Laurie Davies — August 20, 2013 at 8:05 am

This looks like an amazing time in Aruba. Absolutely stunning. I won’t lie, those pictures of the desserts look too much to handle- I’m craving white chocolate now. Aruba is a great little island, when it’s time for a holiday trip, Aruba Vacations are ultimately what I want to go on.