Bamboo & Lending a Hand

I love soft clothing.  Above all else, clothing must be soft or I won’t wear it and so I was especially excited when I received a V-neck tshirt and travel skirt from Five Bamboo and discovered they are so soft and so comfy!

The v-neck tshirt is fitted without being skin tight.

Personally, I hate how overly tight tshirts look or feel on my body and this shirt (size large) was neither.  Obviously if you prefer a tighter look or fit, size down accordingly.  I am also 5’10” and this shirt was a nice length on me, too.

The skirt is so comfy, too.

Nothing says casual, laidback, and put-me-on-today like a fold-over waist.  No buttons, snaps, or even elastic.  Gotta love it.

Five Bamboo doesn’t use pesticides, fertilizers, irrigation, harmful production practices so their garments are 100% sustainable.

Sometimes “eco-friendly” clothing isn’t really that cute but these pieces are super cute and they just hug my skin perfectly and I can see myself getting tons of use out of them.

Why do you think I live in my Be Present pants as discussed here?

Because they are soft, comfy (drawstring!), lightweight, wash wonderfully, and fold up into next to nothing for travel.

I’m wearing them here and in most every other picture you see of me I probably have a pair of Be Present pants on.

The nice thing about drawstring pants or fold-over waist pants is that you can go to town on things like Peanut Butter Banana Bread (Vegan, GF, Soy-free) and still fit into your pants!

The bananas + Peanut Butter in the recipe makes this bread extremely moist and weigh about a hundred pounds per loaf.  And it tastes so good that way!

Or even just eating a normal meal is more comfortable when you don’t have tight jeans around your waist, right?

A meal like Raw Pasta Salad with Creamy Lemon & Herb Dressing

From my last post, Pay the Paper Price, it seems universal that we all feel ripped off by the high cost of blowing our noses and wiping our butts wiping up spills.

1. Have you ever tried bamboo clothing?  Or bamboo anything?

I have bamboo towels that I use daily.  They are really heavy and take forever to dry in the dryer.  Which is the opposite of sustainable (running the dryer forever) but I do like them.  I got them at Bed Bath & Beyond about 5 years ago and they’ve held up wonderfully.

I had bamboo sheets for a bed size that I no longer own.

I have these Bamboo bowls

I have this bamboo silverware drawer organizer

And I like adding bamboo shoots in a stir fry like this one.

2. Has anyone helped you with something lately or gone over and beyond the call of duty ‘just because’? Or, have you lended a helping hand to anyone lately?

Yesterday Callie from Rawxy was so sweet and was trying to help me troubleshoot a tech glitch I was having.  She went way over the call of duty in order to try to help me and it made me feel so special that she would take the time to try to help me like she did.  Thank you, Callie!  She’s just a great person and she has amazing raw goodies, too.  Yum!

Often times we are all so caught up in our own worlds and our own problems, we don’t have time to spend a few extra minutes helping someone else with their problems or doing small things that can really put a smile on someone’s face.  So, it’s always awesome when nice things and good deeds happen and I always try my best, too, to help others out.  Whether it’s dropping something in the mail for someone, holding a door for them, writing posts that help new or aspiring bloggers learn the ropes, I really try to give to others.  Not to sound cheesy, but it really is better to give than to receive.  Unless we’re talking bamboo clothing or tech glitch advice.  hah!

P.S. Giveaway reminders:

NuNaturals Stevia

Taste of Adams Avenue

38 Responses to “Bamboo & Lending a Hand”

kate — June 16, 2011 at 8:10 am

I’m so jealous you got that clothing it looks so soft I lovee comfy clothes!

Anne — June 16, 2011 at 8:22 am

Oh, you’re so right…if only we’d all lend a hand sometimes. I love it when I have the time/energy/headspace – but sometimes it’s just about taking the time, and thanks for the reminder! It all comes back, and even if it doesn’t, it feels good, haha!

I SO agree on the “heavy” bread. I don’t eat “real” bread, but I remember what a good loaf tastes like, so when I’m buying for the fam and I come across a good, heavy loaf I always get it – same for chocolate cakes, weight over looks anytime, right ;-).

I’ve only ever FELT bamboo clothing, it tends to carry a feisty price tag – at least when I’ve seen it. Ordering from the US is out of the question for me too… Looks real comfy, and I bet that t-shirt looks great on you too! You gals are so tan :-). Have a good day Averie, A.

Deborah — June 16, 2011 at 8:25 am

I use bamboo quilt batting! :)

Naomi — June 16, 2011 at 8:28 am

UGH averie just come over and cook for me!! i want to try so many of your recipes!! mmm the way you described the bread…dense and ‘heavy’ so yummy!!! it reminds me of the bread you got in aruba that looked like dense CAKE! mmm

im looking for a new job and one of my old friends who i havent spoken to in a long time has been helping me SO much! he knows the people at the company and truly is going above and beyond to help me out!

allison — June 16, 2011 at 8:28 am

I LOVE soft comfy clothes!! Plus if clothes are too tight i just feel uncomfortable the whole time! I have a few shirts made from bamboo and they seriously are much softer and much more comfortable!!

Tasha @ Voracious — June 16, 2011 at 8:29 am

I love love love bamboo clothing. One of my favorite tops is bamboo and I never get tired of how uniquely soft it is. And I’m like you – I can’t stand clothing that is too tight. Comfort is KEY. That is why I almost never wear jeans, they just never feel comfy! I like loose and flowy dresses, cotton leggings (which I guess are tight, but are so stretchy they feel great) with tunics, and shorts and t-shirts. My most comfy clothes are my jodhpurs and riding shirts. But…they don’t really seem appropriate for wearing other than the stables! Oh wait, scratch that, my most comfortable clothes are my t-shirts and boxers that I sleep in. Now, if only I could wear those 24/7…

Christine (The Raw Project) — June 16, 2011 at 8:33 am

Great swag score! I’m all for comfy clothes, but not ones that are too baggy and formless. Love the skirt here, looks comfy, but structured.

1. Yes, but not much. Comfy and casual is nice, but I haven’t seen many pieces I could wear to work.
    2. Sure, all the time at work both ways. It’s crucial for a positive work environment I think.

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen — June 16, 2011 at 8:40 am

Those clothes look super comfy! I have a few bamboo bowls but no clothing. Might have to change that soon!

Holly @ The Runny Egg — June 16, 2011 at 9:18 am

I haven’t tried bamboo clothing — I used to have some plates and bowls made out of bamboo, but I can’t think of anything else. My friend has bamboo flooring in her living room and it is so beautiful!

I love fold over waist skirts/pants — so comfortable.

Well you have helped me plenty with my Kombucha — and I’ve gotten tons of help from Jenn with blog related questions. I so appreciate when someone takes a few minutes (or longer!) to help me out. I try to do the same for anyone who needs/asks for it.

being domUnique — June 16, 2011 at 9:27 am

I love my bamboo KNITTING NEEDLES! They are so nice and smooth, and the yarn stays on them when needed and slips off smoothy when you’re knitting. I love working with natural materials for my crafts.

Katherine — June 16, 2011 at 9:38 am

That skirt is so cute and looks really comfy. Perfect for weekend errands!
    I love the bamboo shoots that my favorite Thai restaurant puts in their green curry dish. So fresh and yummy.
    I used to have a beautiful bamboo plant on my window sill, but it died :(. My neighbor has bamboo growing in his/her yard. It is like 10 feet tall and acts like a fence. I have NO idea how that stuff grows in New York, but it looks so cool.

Serena — June 16, 2011 at 10:16 am

I love soft clothing. Bamboo fibers are very soft, but for some reason they irritate my mom (I however love them).
    Yoga has taught me to appreciate soft clothing even more. ;)
    Also the PB banana bread looks AMAZING. I will definitely need to try it (I am banana bread obsessed).

Sara (The Veggie Eco-Life) — June 16, 2011 at 10:51 am

I don’t own anything bamboo.. But I saw some really nice bamboo bowls (http://www.kudzu.be/nl/winkel/artikels/i/694 + http://www.kudzu.be/nl/winkel/artikels/i/33577) that I want to buy. They’re on my whishlist for when we go kitchenshopping ;)
    I love it when ecofashion is not so, well ‘hippielike’? Like People Tree, they have some wonderrrfull clothes!

katie @ KatieDid — June 16, 2011 at 10:55 am

I completely agree with comfort over style. I have a great fold over stretchy black cotton skirt that looks just like that one, from old navy which I love. I have never owned anything made from bamboo except cutting boards, but I do have a pair of the comfiest hemp capri fold over pants. I think you would love them, they are SO comfy!

cathy — June 16, 2011 at 10:58 am

never tried bamboo clothing, but like the domUnique (commenter, above) i LOVE my bamboo knitting needles and also bamboo yarn.
    holly (above) has been very helpful with answering my blogging questions on a few occasions! i try to go the extra mile when helping customers as i know always appreciate when a store goes out of their way to be helpful.

char @ char on a mission — June 16, 2011 at 11:27 am

I LOVE v-necks, so that shift would obviously make it into my closet haha. I’ve never tried the clothing, but even just LOOKING at it you can tell it’s comfy!!!

Beth — June 16, 2011 at 11:28 am

That bamboo clothing looks so inviting.
    I have some bamboo clothes (socks, underwear, t-shirts), towels, and bedding. Haven’t found any good bamboo table linen yet, but I’m always on the lookout.

Always nice when someone goes that extra mile, spends that extra minute, or comes over to help out.

Amanda Jewell — June 16, 2011 at 11:39 am

Never trued bamboo clothing before! Although there was this great, raw, vegan shop in PB that I bought an all organic, recycled buddha bag from! Unfortunately, the store closed!
    I just made some banana chocolate chip bread the other day! I think maybe next time I’ll have to add some peanut butter too.. hehe

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) — June 16, 2011 at 11:42 am

Those clothes look super comfy! I’d live in them, for sure. I like the fresh colors.

I love helping others. It makes me feel good, so I try to whenever I can. It makes me really appreciate when someone helps me. Knowing that you made someone’s day a little better is a great feeling!

Alex@Spoonful of Sugar Free — June 16, 2011 at 11:57 am

Oh my gosh-Love this!!! They look so pretty :D You could almost wear it to something fancy ;)

And I don’t really own a lot of bamboo things, but I love bamboo stuff! I have some cutting boards and a serving bowl, but that’s about it. Oh! I have a lucky “bamboo” plant-does that count? :P

Heather (Where's the Beach) — June 16, 2011 at 12:15 pm

I have a pair of wool & bamboo running socks that I love. I have always heard how great bamboo is for running clothes actually. I do try to help others whenever I can. I hope that someone will do the same for me at some point.

Katie — June 16, 2011 at 12:35 pm

I don’t have any bamboo clothing, but that skirt is AWESOME. I live in clothes like that year round!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — June 16th, 2011 at 12:37 pm

the skirt is 100% YOU!!!!!!!!!!! It’s so you, I mean, I can’t say it enough. Has your name all over it :)

Leslie — June 16, 2011 at 12:42 pm

My new mantra this summer is “comfy clothes!” Haha…I love the outfit you got, especially the skirt. I found a comfy, swingy fold-over skirt at a thrift store last year and can’t find another one! I live in it!

Carey @ Positively Blonde — June 16, 2011 at 2:00 pm

I’m not sure if this is appropriate, but once I dated a guy who only wore bamboo boxers haha

Recently I had someone go out of there way to help me. i think it just reminds you of how wonderful it is and it encouraged me to “pay it forward.”

Callie {Rawxy} — June 16, 2011 at 2:37 pm

Oh Averie, Anytime – anytime! Although, something has me thinking that sooner, rather than later – I’ll be the one emailing you for help! :)

You know – I’m right there with you on comfy clothes! Now that I don’t have to show up at an office and wear miserable clothes everyday, my stomach has been feeling better than ever! I actually just told my Naturopath this yesterday – comfy clothes =’s comfy tummy :) Love!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — June 16th, 2011 at 6:25 pm

You are *the best* and how cool is it that you’re going to be in San Fran quite a bit…who knows, we may meet in person one day sooner rather than later!

And I know what you mean about tight jeans…nothing worse than constricted belly for digestion and just overall health (even mental health) when you’re not squished into a pair of tight pants!

Jess — June 16, 2011 at 4:24 pm

I’ve never tried bamboo anything! But those clothes just look comfy–I am ALL about comfy clothes :D

Aja — June 16, 2011 at 4:30 pm

I feel like I really need a travel skirt now. All I wear are skirts and dresses, so that makes sense. I wonder how much time I have to go shopping…

Christin@purplebirdblog — June 16, 2011 at 4:44 pm

That skirt is totally the cutest!! I love it! :)

Serena — June 16, 2011 at 10:34 pm

Also, I always ‘clean’ my own pineapples…and I can definitely polish off 1/2 a pinya by myself. ;) So good!
    (I generally avoid precut fruits except sometimes when I’m away at school.)

Amber K — June 17, 2011 at 9:55 am

Those clothes are super cute! I LOVE it if I can find a fitted shirt that is also not clingy. Then I don’t feel like I’m wearing a giant pillowcase or a tube top.

And I have turned all of my closest friends onto your peanut butter banana bread/cake whatever. Oh my gosh, sooo delicious!! Maybe one day I’ll tell them what’s in it. I did mention your name and blog so technically they could just do a little research… tee hee.

Holley @ Lunges and Lashes — June 17, 2011 at 4:15 pm

i haven’t tried anything bamboo… but those look like something I would never want to take off! so cozy! thanks girl!

Baking Serendipity — June 17, 2011 at 4:58 pm

I love soft comfy clothes and live in fold over skirts like that one in the summer. It’s super cute!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — June 22, 2011 at 4:11 pm

I wore bamboo socks from Costco for a while, but they got holes in them VERY quickly :-(