Barre3

I recently received the Barre3 Total Body Lift Workout DVD.

You can see a one minute sneak peak here.

Or check out the 3 minute video on their site

The Barre3 style of workout combines three disciplines: ballet barre work, yoga, and Pilates.

The promised results include long lean muscles, postural benefits, and an overall shaping and lifting of the entire body.

My overall verdict: I liked it a lot!

After being a yoga teacher for a decade, being a student in many Pilates classes, as well as trying so many different types of workouts and fitness regimes over the years, it’s always fun to try something new and unique.

The pros: nice music, the ease of working out at home when it’s convenient for you, and the method focuses on slower-paced movements which really made me focus on what I was doing.  I could really “feel the burn” as my muscles were being worked more slowly and controlled, rather than just plowing through things with poor form, too rapidly, or on autopilot.

And of course, yoga is and has been a huge part of my life and life path and so anything that incorporates yoga is a winner for me.

The cons: Obviously this workout was fine and fun, but of course, I need to do other things, too.  We all need to mix it up, right! So it’s not really a con specific to Barre3, but I would never box myself into just one style of workout, or one type of DVD, forever.

I need to mix up my workouts.   Plus, I love the feeling of just running.

I will always love running, simply for the sake of running, while being outside in the fresh air.

Where I can run past flowers on the way to festivals.

And I can observe all of nature’s glory on my path.

Where ever that running path may be.

I will always prefer fresh air workouts to indoor workouts.

Hot, humid, freezing cold, snowing, raining, I don’t care.  I would still rather run outside than be inside!  But that’s just me.  Call me crazy. And some have when I used to run in freezing cold midwest winters!  Or scorching heat.  I just love working out outside.

Switching gears a bit…I want to thank everyone, again, who wished me a happy birthday over the past few days.  Either on my last post, on my personal Facebook page, my blog Facebook Page, on Twitter,  in text messages, in voicemails, and on email.  Whew.  I was blown away by the love, support, and friendship I felt. You all made my day.  Not kidding!  And thank you!

And thank you for your concern for me being sickOn my birthday no less. Ugh. The razor blades in my throat and fever continue but there is not time to just lay around.   I have work to do, Skylar to watch, and Vegan Fudge to eat.

It’s no-bake, vegan, gluten free, does not taste “healthy”, and in 10 mintues, you can get your fudge on.

1. Best thing you ate or did over the weekend?

I had a fun day at the farmer’s market taking pictures!  Thanks for the compliments on the images I posted so far, but I have tons more I am going to post.

And eating No Bake Nutella & Peanut Butter Graham Bars with Chocolate Frosting was the best thing I ate, hands down.

2. Have you tried any workout DVD’s or new-to-you style of workouts lately?  Thoughts on them?  Or have you changed what kind of workouts you’ve been doing?

I recently reviewed 3 Yoga DVD’s here

And have posted about how I Quit The Gym

I’ve mentioned that I’ve streamlined my daily workouts to be 20 minutes of Cardio + 20 minutes of at home yoga/Pilates/weightlifting moves = 40 mins daily

I also posted about Fitness Experiments – What I’ve Tried, What’s Worked, What Next which details my fitness show/competition, yoga, running, weightlifting, core work, and how I balance what I do.

3. Would you like to try the Barre3 workout?  Or have you?  Any other workouts that pique your interest?

I never jumped on the Insanity, TurboFire, P90X, or Zumba bandwagons.  But I’ve been tempted!

Have a great start to your week and if you’re just catching up on posts, here are mine since Friday:

48 Responses to “Barre3”

Vivianne — June 13, 2011 at 10:11 am

Ohmygoodness I want to try Barre3 so badly! I loved my ballet class this past year and I want to get certified in yoga next summer to teach. It sounds like a great DVD!!

I jumped on the Zumba bandwagon (; It’s a really fun workout, but it’s nothing like P90x!

Christine (The Raw Project) — June 13, 2011 at 10:11 am

Very interesting on Barre3, looks like a fun thing to try and mix it up a bit with.

1. Had a wonderful vegan brunch and moved mountains on our new office.
    2. Not in a long time, but I’d like to. I sometimes worry that they’re not enough of a workout and not an efficient use of my limited workout time on weekdays.
    3. Sure, it’s sounds very challenging.

Jordan @ foods sweat and beers — June 13, 2011 at 10:27 am

I actually tried Jillian Michael’s 30 Day Shred Level 2 the other day, it was a great way to jam pack a serious workout into about 20 minutes (just what I needed, I was in a hurry!) but not my favorite way to work out.

The best thing I did this weekend… Probably a German wine tasting with my friends!

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) — June 13, 2011 at 10:31 am

That fudge is calling my name. I love the sprinkles on top. Reminds me of a hot fudge sundae with choc sprinkles. Drool. :)

Jess (In My Healthy Opinion) — June 13, 2011 at 10:34 am

I love Barre 3! I plan to do a review soon; I thought it was such a great workout. Lately I’m really into the dancey/barre/ballet workouts, so I see many more in my future. :)

cathy — June 13, 2011 at 10:38 am

Thanks for the barre review, averie! Would be fun to try!
    I have yoga dvd’s but I’d rather take a yoga/dance/strength class than do an at-home workout.
    Feel better soon. The vegan fudge-looks just as good as a bday cake!

Hannah — June 13, 2011 at 10:41 am

Lots of delurking going on for me today. I just wanted to tell you that thanks to your advice posts, I finally took the plunge and created my own blog.

Best thing I ate over the weekend? Nothing stands out, but I did go out for lunch with family on Saturday, which was nice.

Felicia (Natural + Balanced) — June 13, 2011 at 10:43 am

that yellow flower is GORGEOUS! i haven’t been to a gym in 2 years. my workouts are all at home and outdoors, and i’m in better shape than i’ve ever been. interval training, circuits, HIIT runs and weight lifting = best results for me! i miss some machines from the gym, but im saving so much money & time by doing my workouts at home

Erica — June 13, 2011 at 10:51 am

oh noooooooooooooooooooooo- I totally missed your birthday! I’m so so so sorry. Last week and weekend were just hectic. I so apologize. Sorry to hear you were sicky. You must treat yourself extra special this week- i demand it! They just started Barre classes at the gym. I really want to try one out. They’re a little pricey, but might be fun. The DVD sounds like a great option too.

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen — June 13, 2011 at 11:10 am

The only “bandwagon” I’ve jumped on is the Jillian Michaels DVD’s. Other than that I’ve never done any of the organized fitness things like zumba or body pump, never tried Insanity or P90x, etc. I stick to my home gym and like it :)

Tasha @ Voracious — June 13, 2011 at 11:27 am

That workout sounds like so much fun. I agree: it’s nice to change up your routine every now and then. But like you, I have my constant – riding horses (best workout of all time!) and elliptical and weights at the gym.

I just showed Cody those nutella peanut butter bars and I think he’s gone into shock. He’ll probably only revive if I make them asap!

Tracy @ Commit to Fit — June 13, 2011 at 11:28 am

I would like to try Barre3 just to mix it up. I have been trying the different Turbo Fire workouts and reviewing them on the blog and today I just tried a P90X workout. I think it is always good to see what is out there.

Paige @ Running Around Normal — June 13, 2011 at 11:35 am

Sounds like a good workout:) I’ve never tried it.
    Your food photography is spot on amazing in that last nutella bar picture! Lovely:)

Happy Belated Birthday, Averie!!

Emily — June 13, 2011 at 11:36 am

Best thing I did: Worked Boxing Hall of Fame induction weekend and saw Sylvester Stallone, Mike Tyson, Micky Ward, among others and danced with Dicky Eklund! SO FUN!
    Best thing I ate: Nana’s Cookie Co. coconut chip cookie! :)

Chelsea — June 13, 2011 at 11:48 am

I did p90x before! I actually have a review on it here on my blog haha :) http://chelseaalysse.tumblr.com/post/6020384816 As for the barre3 that looks really fun! I’ve recently become really interested in pilates! PopPilates has become my new obsession (I love her youtube!).

Holly @ The Runny Egg — June 13, 2011 at 11:51 am

I would love to try Barre 3 — I love workout dvds and like you, I get bored with the same thing day after day, which is why I like having a library to choose from!

Best part of my weekend — getting outside for a long walk yesterday. It really helped clear my head!

being domUnique — June 13, 2011 at 12:04 pm

I’m addicted to BodyPump!
    Best thing I did this weekend? Supported my little sister in a dance recital!

Happy belated Birthday! You do look great in the picture from yesterday – not sick at all :) tan and smiling :)

Katie — June 13, 2011 at 12:32 pm

Working out outside is not even in the same category as inside. When I am outside, even sweating, it doesn’t feel like working out. It feels like FUN!

I don’t know if I have the patience for Barre3. I’m a little too high strung, I think. :)

Keelie (SweatEqualsSuccess) — June 13, 2011 at 1:22 pm

I would DEFINITELY try the Barre 3 workout- I’m a dancer and anything dance/ pilates/ yoga related usually makes me feel good! :)

I’m actually trying out a Burlesque Bootcamp class tonight- will blog about it afterwards!

lindsay — June 13, 2011 at 1:36 pm

I am an instructor at the barre3 studio in Oklahoma City! If you are ever in town, come by and see us! We are right next door to the Matthew Kenney OKC (formerly 105degrees) restaurant location which would be perfect for you!! (Heck, just to eat at Matthew Kenney is reason enough to come to OKC! The food is truly amazing) Before barre3, I grew up a dancer and then have been practicing yoga for 11 years. Barre3 has been the perfect compliment to my practice and the best total body workout for me. I have gained so much strength throughout my entire body and have been able to go deeper in poses than ever before. I am so happy you tried it and liked it! Switching it up and throwing our bodies for a loop is always a great physically and mentally, isnt it!? PS: Classes in our studios are 60 minutes long (DVD is 45) and THEY ARE A BLAST! Always different, challenging and fun music. Seriously, COME SEE US!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — June 13th, 2011 at 2:10 pm

It’s not like I am “in your area” since I live in San Diego….to OKC. I think you should come see me! CA has better beaches than OK :) haha!

But thanks for your gracious offer and if I ever find myself in Oklahoma, I’d look you up :)

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit — June 13, 2011 at 1:39 pm

Interesting… I’ve never heard of those DVDs! I’m not a workout at home person. I force myself to the gym. Once I get there, I love it… but it’s the getting there part. If I did it at home, I’d never, ever do anything!

Tiff @ Love, Sweat, and Beers — June 13, 2011 at 1:39 pm

I tried some new workouts when I went to Cali, but nothing new on the home front. Maybe I’ll try one of my new workout DVDs soon, but I’m waiting for a rainy day. As for weekend eats, I had a great bbq burger and fries. Healthy? No. Delicious? Heck yes!

dana @ my little celebration — June 13, 2011 at 1:41 pm

I’ve heard of barre3 from another blog but still don’t know much about it! Ill have to look more into it since it’s catching more popularity. Your birthday dessert bars look AWESOME. I’ll have to bookmark them for a treat day.

Ari@ThE DiVa DiSh — June 13, 2011 at 2:09 pm

I am sorry your still sick! And we will have to hit up the farmers market together sometime!
    Best thing I did this weekend was spend time with my little family :)

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — June 13th, 2011 at 2:11 pm

YES! would love to!!! If you’re ever planning a trip down to Hillcrest one weekend, lmk! I’m an afternoon, i.e. straggler, market go’er. No early a.m.’s for me :)

Katie — June 13, 2011 at 2:14 pm

Thanks for the review! I tried this for the first time last night (on Exercise TV) and my legs LITERALLY felt like they were on fire. Fire!

Amanda — June 13, 2011 at 2:18 pm

You look so pretty in that birthday picture with your daughter. Hope you feel better asap.
    My weekend was spent at a wine festival. It was outstanding. :)

Sandy — June 13, 2011 at 2:30 pm

I have been using the Physique 57 DVDs for the past two months. I like the thigh and seat work but am not sure the upper body strength or the ab work is doing me much good. I might try the Barre 3 just for a change. I have so many DVDs and have trouble getting into a routine of switching them. I always have to have my outdoor walk, year round even in the snow and ice of winter in the midwest. Have been taking a Jazzercise class for about a year and a half but I’m kind of bored with it and thinking I want a break for the summer – just feel really guilty about giving up any part of my workout.

Becky — June 13, 2011 at 2:39 pm

I’ve seen things like pure barre and the like around, and I’d really love to try it. Zumba stole my heart after trying it once, but I got rid of a gym membership and miss it! I just started working out again, and I want to be a runner. I’m not very good at it, and usually stick to walking, but I’m trying to get out of my comfort zone. I want to get back into yoga again, too. I used to do it EVERY day but haven’t done consistently in over a year!!

Jenny (VintageSugarcube) — June 13, 2011 at 2:53 pm

That Barre 3 tape looks soooo cool. I’m so unmotivated to do tapes on my own. Do you know if there will be any Barre 3 classes in San Diego? I just started back with adult ballet classes and LOVE it. :)

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — June 13th, 2011 at 3:30 pm

not sure of their plans here in S.D.

• Courtney (greeneyedrunner) replied: — June 16th, 2011 at 10:30 pm

I don’t know about Barre3, but there are a LOT of Pure Barre studios that offer a very similar workout. Hillcrest just opened up, but there is also one in La Costa, one in Solana Beach, and one in La Jolla. I think one in 4s Ranch just opened up, but I’d HIGHLY recommend La Jolla:)
        Happy Belated Birthday Averie!

The Teenage Taste — June 13, 2011 at 3:18 pm

I’ve been hearing so many good things about Barre 3 via blog world but haven’t jumped on the bandwagon yet. I have jumped on the Zumba bandwagon though. My gym offers a Zumba Plus class which is basically regular Zumba with weights too! I love it! :-D

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table — June 13, 2011 at 4:55 pm

I’m a little behind… but HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! (Maybe I should make that fudge in your honor?!)

Best thing I ate all weekend was actually devoured this morning – zucchini oatmeal!!

Sunshine — June 13, 2011 at 5:22 pm

Ok, I am de-lurking…ha ha!! Love your blog…you always have great advice and recipes!! Just wanted to say thanks for always “keeping it real”!!

Jess — June 13, 2011 at 5:45 pm

I’ve heard of this barre method!! My mom is currently using Tracy Anderson’s “metamorphosis” and says it’s QUITE hard!!

overall, i prefer weight training :D

julie — June 13, 2011 at 6:01 pm

i’ve been looking for a little workout change-up too! i’ve been thinkin of ordering insanity but i’m not sure where i can do it without bringing down my house hahaha

anyways glad you had such an awesome birthday you only deserve to have the most beautiful day ever. and i keep meaning to tell you and i’m not sure if i did yet but skylar is getting SO old!!!! it’s so weird and amazing to like literally see her get older and more beautiful just over the blog :)

Matt — June 13, 2011 at 7:53 pm

SAw a recipe of yours reposted on a recipe website which Linked to Your Blog which Rocks. Love what you have created. Namaste

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — June 13th, 2011 at 8:00 pm

Thanks for the compliments. Do you remember which site reposted it? That has me curious, too! :)

Matt — June 13, 2011 at 8:51 pm

ya I found it on here. http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=1504166

Sara (The Veggie-Eco Life) — June 14, 2011 at 6:58 am

Hm, the best thing I ate this weekend was def the veggie lasagna my dad made… He’s a great cook, really creative.

I don’t have any work-out dvd’s, but if I find some that are interesting, I would definitely buy it. I just can’t find any around that are really appealing to me..

Amy Leclerc — June 14, 2011 at 7:24 am

Hello Averie and Averie’s readers,

I’m Amy from barre3. Wanted to let you all know we are working on a studio in San Diego for you! We are a franchise business model, so finding the right person/people to run the studio is everything to us. Hope to have something to announce to you later this year if the stars align!

Thanks for all of your positive feedback!

Amber K — June 14, 2011 at 8:20 am

Your flower pictures always astound me! They are so beautiful!!

I like the idea of mixing things up, but I definitely find myself in workout ruts. I find one thing I like and then I want to do it all the time. I have to conciously remind myself that there are other things in life, lol.

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — June 16, 2011 at 5:11 pm

I hadn’t heard of that workout DVD until now, but I do want to try P90X – I heard it is inane!