Busy Baker

I’ve had a really busy day!  It started off with doing laundry.  I changed my sheets.  Thrilling, I know.

I will go with today’s baking project that I’ll be blogging about soon or my last most successful dessert, the No Bake Nutella & Peanut Butter Graham Bars with Chocolate Frosting

Not a fun chore but one that must be done and I only have one set of sheets that fit my bed right now.  Gasp, I know. So what goes off, must go back on a few hours later.

Then it was to the grocery store.  I picked up another pineapple.

I am in love with pineapple lately!

And I love the super cheap prices on it right now too.  Whole pineapples for basically $2 bucks.

And please, clean your own rather than buying pre-cut.  It’s easy! If you’ve never cleaned your own pineapple, I have a pineapple-cleaning tutorialAir + cut surfaces + bacteria = just clean your own.

And I also picked up a can of sweetened condensed milk.

And made quite a mess in my kitchen.

I took inventory of all the half used packages of chocolate chips, white chocolate chips, Heath Bar bits, and other items, and came up with a winner.

To be blogged about soon.

If you really want something with chocolate chips + butterscotch chips now, make

Butterscotch Rice Krispy Treats with Vegan Chocolate Frosting

Super easy and as I was just telling Katie, I freeze my RKT’s after they are sliced and take out one or two bars at a time from the freezer, let them thaw for 15 minutes, and dive in.  No adverse taste effects from freezing them.

Skylar licked the spatula from today’s baking project with the sweetened condensed milk on it and immediately called it sweet leche.

I guess both her Spanish and her tastebuds are right on track.

Literally drooling over it.

While also sticking out her tongue and being a total goofball.

I was drooling over the beautiful day.

And the flowers.

I’ve had a lot going on since returning home from our Aruba vacation.  Life has been such a whirlwind between work, family, and juggling all the balls.  And trying to stay sort of sane in the process.

So it was nice to go for a great run outside.  Admire the flowers and clear my head for a half hour.

And I came in for 20 minutes of yoga at home, i.e. garage yoga. Which felt great!  I always get much better yoga practices in when the outdoor temperature is warmer.  It’s still not “hot” here by any stretch.  About 75F and sunny.  I’ll take it!

From my last post, Manly Food & Girly Food, it was fun to read about how you classify food, as manly or girly, or if you think there is such a thing as “manly” or “girly” food.   Most of you conceded that most desserts seem to be more “girly food” and that women seem to just gravitate towards desserts more so than men, in general.  But of course, there are always exceptions.

Exceptions like Scott absolutely loving this dessert.

No-Bake Vegan Chocolate Coconut Snowballs

It’s no bake, easy, one bowl and a spoon, toss it in the freezer for a bit, and you’re ready to eat it in a half hour.
Perfect for the summertime when you need a quick dessert but don’t want to turn on your oven.  Or when the chocolate monster just comes calling your name.  Loudly.

1.  Best thing you’ve eaten or done so far this weekend?

Spending time with Skylar, baking, and enjoying the weather are my highlights so far.

2. What’s the last thing you baked or one of the last things you made that turned out really well?

I will go with today’s baking project that I’ll be blogging about soon.

And before that, it was the No Bake Nutella & Peanut Butter Graham Bars with Chocolate Frosting

P.S. Still time to enter the Taste of Adams Avenue Giveaway

Enjoy your weekend!

29 Responses to “Busy Baker”

Jess@HealthyExposures — June 18, 2011 at 6:35 pm

“sweet leche.” Skylar is sharp! What a smart girl.
    Our cupboards have numerous bags of half-used chips, too. White, butterscotch, reeses, milk, dark…doesn’t help that there’s more than one open bag of milk, either!
    I baked some bread earlier today. Not my recipe, but one that is definitely a winner!
    Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Felicia (Natural + Balanced) — June 18, 2011 at 6:37 pm

honestly, pre-cut fruit kind of freaks me out a little… you just don’t know who has touched it or where its been. plus buying whole is cheaper! and giving scraps to my chickens is kinda fun, they go crazy :) today i baked vanilla bean cupcakes with a raspberry/rhubarb/coconut filling–so delicious! have a great weekend Averie :)

Michelle @ From Seed To Tree — June 18, 2011 at 6:45 pm

Me too! I love pineapple. So tropical, fresh, sweet. Nature’s candy for sure.
    Looking forward to that new recipe with all the leftover bits. :)

Amy S. — June 18, 2011 at 6:58 pm

Ooh whatever you’re making sounds delicious! Today I am going to try making an “oatmeal scotchie” cupcake for my dad, his favorite cookies are oatmeal scotchies so I thought it’d be fun for Father’s day!

Jess — June 18, 2011 at 7:15 pm

Those snowballs look SUPER good!! The best thing I ate was probably tonight’s dinner–a roasted chicken and roasted VEGGIES!! Woohoo!!

Noya - gluttonandstudent — June 18, 2011 at 7:24 pm

I concur – pineapple is amazing! During my first year, I ate at least 3 bowls of pineapple a day… which – in retrospect – probably wasn’t the greatest idea in regards to tooth enamel and stomach linings… but at least it was delicious and healthy!

Sean @ Natural Ayurvedic Remedies — June 18, 2011 at 8:29 pm

Hi Averie,

You are such a busy baker! But you had a very productive day. Now I’m drooling at your recipes. I have to look at some easy-to-make recipes here. lol

Serena — June 18, 2011 at 9:47 pm

Can’t wait to see the recipe. :)
    I’ve been falling in l-o-v-e with yoga for the past few months. I’ve always wanted to get more ‘into’ it & now I finally have the time. I’ve also been spending a lot of time with my family (before leaving for college! ahhh) and baking (from cook books & having fun creating new recipes).
    I just made a batch of chocolate chip cookies today that were a huge hit with my dad! I was so excited & happy at how well they turned out (I rarely make cookies so it was very experimental) but he just kept gobbling them down :)

Kim - Liv Life — June 18, 2011 at 10:07 pm

I picked up a pineapple at Trader Joe’s the other day and it was every bit as good, perhaps even better, than one in the actual islands! My son said it was the best he’s ever had.
    And it was a beautiful day wasn’t it?? I SO enjoyed the sun!!

Crista — June 18, 2011 at 10:45 pm

Oh my goodness, I’ve been lusting after the pineapples at the market lately but was nervous about cleaning one myself! I’ll be checking out your tutorial asap :)

Hayley @ Oat Couture — June 18, 2011 at 11:24 pm

Todays a day like that for us too, we have friends visiting late tonight so today i’m cleaning, tidying and more importantly baking some treats for when they arrive! :) Have a lovely sunday!

cathy — June 19, 2011 at 3:18 am

can’t wait to see the new recipe! love the photo of all the choco chips/sweets bags!
    i made cookies last eve but not a fabulous recipe…i’m sure there’ll be no complaints, though.
    hang in there with the busy schedule – i do that, too – sheets off the bed, wash, back on the bed. saves a folding step!
    love that sunshine – it’s like that up here, too!

Kiran — June 19, 2011 at 4:33 am

You are one hardworking baker! That chips are drool-worthy ;)

Kiran — June 19, 2011 at 4:36 am

Oh, and speaking for pineapples, those are so cheap compared to tomatoes, which by the way are freakishly expensive here! :D

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen — June 19, 2011 at 5:09 am

I don’t think I knew what “leche” meant until 8th grade when I started taking Spanish! Impressive SKylar!

Maris (in Good Taste) — June 19, 2011 at 5:26 am

Skylar is gorgeous! Your photos are really great. I am liking those butterscotch rice krispie treats!

Erica — June 19, 2011 at 5:27 am

I love changing my sheets. May sound weird, but it makes me feel like our room is so fresh and clean! mmm can’t wait to see your latest invention. The last awesome thing I baked was almond butter cookies I made yesterday to bring with us to Josh’s family today. Weekend has been good. Josh and I went to the gym with his brother and girlfriend yesterday morning, which was AWESOME and then went for a really long walk at night. Its the best way for us to catch up and spend time together

dragonmamma/naomi — June 19, 2011 at 5:50 am

Anything made with condensed milk tastes so good but makes me feel so awful; I’ll have to skip that one.
    Pineapple looks great, but it always gets edged out by something I like even better: watermelon! which tends to hog up all my extra fridge space. Why do those two have to share the same season?

Ragnhild — June 19, 2011 at 6:06 am

The best thing I have eaten this weekend must have been the dark chocolate that i dipped in my almond-flax butter! That is really my type of treat :)

Heather (Where's the Beach) — June 19, 2011 at 6:24 am

I know I say it all the time, but she’s Skylar is so darn cute. I made some chocolate chip peanut butter cookie balls for a party (huge hit and SOOOO easy).

Christine (The Raw Project) — June 19, 2011 at 8:07 am

Agreed on laundry, gets old quick! Great dessert pics!

1. Worked on the office and saw Super 8.
    2. Wow, I have baked any desserts in a long time. I guess roasted veggies was the last thing I baked that turned out well.

Katie — June 19, 2011 at 8:46 am

The RK treats were a HUGE hit!! I bet they would have been even better if I’d frosted them and put on butterscotch chips. Next time.

Because there will be a next time really soon, since I know that you can freeze them now. winkwink

Amber K — June 19, 2011 at 9:03 am

We only have one really nice set of sheets so we almost always throw it in the wash, dry it and throw it right back onto the bed. I don’t think we’ve used our other two set of sheets for like months! lol

About to go pick up my niece and nephew to hang with them today. Maybe we should get some fun stuff and make something yummy!

Kris @Krazy_Kris — June 19, 2011 at 9:14 am

WOW!!!!!! A trolling I must go…. AMAZING GOODNESS!

Jacquee — June 21, 2011 at 12:19 pm

Bought a fresh pineapple the other day and I didn’t get a bite of it. My grandson (18 yrs old) ate the whole thing. No special preparations or fancy desserts needed for him. He loves fresh fruit! I just love this site. The pictures make me drool, too.

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — June 22, 2011 at 4:51 pm

I don’t have a sweet tooth, but this post has me craving sweets like crazy!!!!

I love that Skylar is a goofball, because I am one too :-)