Caramelized Ginger & Olive Oil Roasted Beets

When I was at the farmers market last weekend I saw some awesome looking beets.

I had fun standing at the table and snapping pictures of beets.

Oh yes, that’s me, with my big honkin’ camera, just taking pictures of dirty root vegetables.  Fun times!

I took all the pictures very fast. On the fly in less than 30 seconds because I haven’t lost all shame.  Plus, I didn’t want to “hog” the area from other shoppers in case they wanted to get rooty.

But aren’t these pretty?

Many of you told me when I posted about Beet Juice the other day that you had never tried beets, or only had tried canned beets and weren’t impressed.  Nor should you be.   Canned beets scare me.

It’s time to channel your inner beet lover and turn you all into beet fans with this recipe.

[print_this]

Caramelized Ginger & Olive Oil Roasted Beets

Peel 4 to 6 beets with a vegetable peeler (wear rubber gloves unless you enjoy the reddish pink cuticles and fingerprint look for a week).

Note: Some people roast their beets with the skin on.  I do not because I never feel like I can get beets clean enough and I’d rather peel them than eat dirt.  My personal preference, only.

Slice the beets into wedges about the size of an apple wedge.  Raw beets are very firm.  Much firmer than an apple.  More like a sweet potato so use a sharp knife and be careful.

Line a 9 x 13 pan with foil and place the beet wedges in the pan.  Don’t skip the foil.  Clean up will go from an epic chore to easy-peasy by using foil.

Drizzle with olive oil (about 2-3 tbsp) or if you like coconut oil, use that!  Hemp seed, grapeseed, canola, and other oils may work also.

Sprinkle 1 tsp ground ginger over the top of the beets (optional but recommended)

Add salt and pepper, to taste (optional)

Roast at 350F for 75 minutes (possibly a bit longer), flipping once halfway through.  It is a bit tedious to flip them over one-by-one but you will get a nicer carmelization on each edge and it will be worth it.  If the beets seem dry mid-way through cooking when you’re flipping them, add a bit more oil.

You will know the beets are done when they have carmelized, are a bit black-ish or dark around the edges, and are fork tender (like a cooked potato or cooked carrot).

[/print_this]

Remember, don’t skip the rubber gloves when you’re working with beets unless you don’t mind this look.

Some holistically-minded moms I know who refuse to buy Easter egg coloring dye simply dye their eggs with beet juice.  Yes, strong stuff.

Red hands though may be worth it because beets that have been roasted this way are so naturally sweet you think you’re eating candy.   In that sense, beets remind me of dates and my Date Recipes Post, i.e. Nature’s Candy, because of both of their natural sweetness.

source

Beets prepared this way are easy, fool-proof, and are similar texture-wise to a roasted a potato, turnip, or carrot (texture-wise) and are nothing like the strange, jiggly-ish, slimy texture of canned beets.  Shudder.

Still not convinced you want to try beets on their own?

Mix them into this Ginger Roasted Tri-Color Potatoes recipe and break yourself in slowly.  You’ll probably end up picking out the beets and eating them first because they are sweeter and blow potatoes away, in my opinion.

Or add beets to Ginger Coconut Roasted Fennel & Mixed Vegetables

From my last post, Naturally Sweet, I like hearing what everyone’s been eating lately that’s sweet naturally.  Like pineapple and mulberries.   And lots of pineapple fans, too, apparently.

1. Do you like beets?

I asked that question recently, and some of you said yes you love them!

And other people said you haven’t tried them.

And others said you’ve only tried canned and were skeeved out.

I really think roasting is a great way to break yourself into beets if you haven’t had them much previously.

2. Fave way to eat beets?

I prefer most vegetables raw rather than cooked (it’s a texture thing, mostly) but beets are one veggie that I prefer cooked.

I am “okay” with them raw and sliced thinly in a salad (thinly sliced raw beets, thinly sliced raw fennel, and dressed with a citrus vinaigrette like Orange Spice Vinaigrette is a common way to eat them) but I prefer their flavor when cooked and caramelized.

3. Weekend plans? Any Father’s Day plans?

Not sure what we’re doing yet for Father’s Day.

I do have to work all weekend but there will still be time for family fun, some workouts, hopefully some time in the kitchen, and maybe a photography date with my camera.

66 Responses to “Caramelized Ginger & Olive Oil Roasted Beets”

Kiran — June 17, 2011 at 8:29 am

I love beets! Especially beets juice. The photos had me smiling :)

Heather (Where's the Beach) — June 17, 2011 at 8:48 am

I love roasting pretty much any veggie period. So good.

Fuji Mama — June 17, 2011 at 8:52 am

Avery, this dish is absolutely STUNNING! On top of that, my mouth is already watering just thinking about how good it must taste. Can’t wait to try it!!

Emma — June 17, 2011 at 8:57 am

Averie, you are amazing! I just bought fresh beets the other day because the looked so amazing, and I was looking for an inspiring summer-ish recipe for them! Love you right now! hehe!

tamara — June 17, 2011 at 8:59 am

Your beet stained hand reminds me of that episode of the office where Dwight goes to a store after working with beets all day and the store refuses to let him in because they thought it was blood!!

LOL!!

radioactivegan — June 17, 2011 at 9:05 am

I went to a pesto-making class once where we made roasted beet pesto that was amazing! I’ve been meaning to try beets again ever since. I’ll have to watch for some good looking ones and try out your recipe.

Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes — June 17, 2011 at 9:05 am

I’m new to beets, but these look delicious!

Holly @ The Runny Egg — June 17, 2011 at 9:08 am

I like beets – although I don’t have them very often. I usually boil them — and then I peel them and cut them. I’ve wanted to try the “pre done” beets that are at TJ’s but I seem to forget every time I go there!

Weekend plans — marathon tomorrow and then up at the cabin Sun/Mon. I cannot wait!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — June 17th, 2011 at 12:49 pm

Roast them. Soooo much better than boiling. It’s like a boiled potato to me is just meh but a roasted one is way better.

BEST of LUCK on your race!!!!!!

Heather — June 17, 2011 at 9:13 am

The first time I had beets they tasted like the cheap cherry flavored cough syrup so I wasn’t a fan. But I kept trying them knowing that wasn’t the right taste and I really enjoy them. I need to try them roated since I like all veggies that way.

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — June 17, 2011 at 9:17 am

Yuum to that recipe! It looks perfect!

Kristina @ spabettie — June 17, 2011 at 9:17 am

the only way I eat beets is in my fresh juicing… long ago, canned beets (shudder) made me dislike them… if anything could get me to eat a beet, it would be this recipe! thank you, Averie, I may just try this! :)

Rachel — June 17, 2011 at 9:35 am

You are making me want to try them again in case I did something wrong the last time. I swear, I roasted them and still felt like they tasted like dirt. I didn’t see how they were sweet at ALL. But maybe I’ll try one more time :)

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — June 17th, 2011 at 12:50 pm

try once more and PEEL THEM too

Also season them with the ginger like I suggested..that cuts the dirty taste.

mary (what's cookin with mary) — June 17, 2011 at 9:36 am

I have always loved beets… I was the weird kid that could eat them right out of the can. I definitely get that from my Dad. Then, when I was about 10, my Grandma made a ‘real’ roasted beet and I was in love. I don’t even need them to be flavored in anyway.

Just yesterday after picking up B from the airport, we stopped for a veggie juice (and B requested one?!)… I got us a carrot, kale, parsley, ginger, lemon & beet juice. He was wearing a white dress shirt and yep, he got some on it. Thank goodness for oxyclean. Juiced is def by far my newest obsession.

Since Father’s day is the same day as my anniversary this year, we’re celebrating with my Dad tomorrow. I already made my brother’s pesto pasta salad and will be cutting up tons of fruit and also marinating some chicken in my lemon thyme marinade. …and bc movies are my Dad’s favorite, we’ll watch something after lunch… Dad’s choice, so that probably means we’ll be watching Cliffhanger.

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — June 17th, 2011 at 12:50 pm

Happy Anniv and I was on tastespotting the other day and saw a recipe of yours on there. Congrats :) They are beyond picky these days so major good work :)

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen — June 17, 2011 at 9:37 am

Beets + Ginger…great idea!
    Canned beets are gross, I don’t think I’ve ever purchased them and never intend to, i’ll be sticking to the fresh kind thank you!
    Beet salads with goat cheese are my favorite. But I’ll have to try this with ginger now!

katie @ KatieDid — June 17, 2011 at 9:37 am

I fell in love with beets last summer when I started buying them at the farmer’s market too! Although I’ve never tried them raw, roasted is my favorite method for cooking.
    I wish I could be with my dad on father’s day but we are not close enough in distance for a day trip unfortunately. My weekend will consist of waitressing several shifts and hopefully a fun day at a swimming hole on sunday!

Amber K — June 17, 2011 at 10:03 am

Those definitely look tasty! I’m going to have to actually try real beets. Although, wow 75 minutes. Why does everything tasty have to test my patience so much? I so rarely ever roast any veggie because I am so darn impatient. I’ve gotta, gotta, gotta get over this!

foodwanderings — June 17, 2011 at 10:06 am

Though made beets many times before, never made them with ginger. What a great idea!! I will definitely try it next time when I pick up beets at the farmer’s market this weekend.

Sara (The Veggie Eco-Life) — June 17, 2011 at 10:12 am

Nice pictures Averie!
    They look really tasty. I like them when they’re grilled :)

Mellissa — June 17, 2011 at 10:21 am

Beets are one of those things I taught myself to like, I am a big fan now but it took some time. Trader Joe’s has a great beet salad for about $5 dollars that save the beet stained hands.

kris (everyday oats) — June 17, 2011 at 10:29 am

Yummy! Roasted beets are really are a great way to break into the beet world. It’s almost impossible to roast bad beets. They always turn out delicious even when I forget about them and over bake them. I love them in salads during the summer time!

kelly marie christiansen — June 17, 2011 at 10:58 am

I can’t wait to try I just got beets from my CSA this week!!!!

Amanda Jewell — June 17, 2011 at 11:06 am

Canned beets? Scaryyyyyyyyyyyy
    Beets, bananas, sweet potatoes = nature’s candy
    avocados = nature’s buttttter
    I love me some beets (although I haven’t cooked golden beets yet)! Fav way to eat them = just like how they serve them when I’m in Greece visiting the fam: boiled & served w/ balsamic vinegar, olive oil, and sea salt!
    Weekend plans: Pilates, GRE studying, Little Italy Farmer’s Market, & some hiking with the furball :-)

Beth — June 17, 2011 at 11:21 am

I actually use beets in a pink smoothie from GreenSmoothieGirl.com’s website. Naturally sweet and nicely colourful.
    Hadn’t though of using beet juice as a dye. Great idea!

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine — June 17, 2011 at 11:42 am

I love beets! They’re SO good roasted. I just wish they didn’t stain everything so badly. I hate having wet/dirty hands, so cutting them always makes me cringe. Growing up we always had the canned kind, so I actually thought that’s the only way people ate them until I came across the blog world…

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) — June 17, 2011 at 11:57 am

I love, love, love roasted beets! I smoked them once before too and they were sooooo good! I need to do that again soon.

I love beets as well. Never cooked them and peeled them – only ate them from the can. My mom used too alot though when I was a child. Great recipe and can’t wait to try them!

Michaela — June 17, 2011 at 12:50 pm

I love the line “channel your inner beet lover” :D This recipe is great, as I like roasted beets the most. I like beets in general, but I do not like the pickled ones that don´t taste like real beets anymore!
    And personally I couldn´t care less what people might think of me when taking certain pictures. I was once at a farmers market in Kilkenny and I was standing in front of the carrots for at least 15 minutes taking photos! It was worth it :) And I get so lost in taking pictures itself, that I would hardly notice other people´s reactions anyway ;)

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — June 17th, 2011 at 12:54 pm

Well I just don’t want to be one of those annoying types who thinks their picture is more important than someone’s shopping. But yeah, I get so lost in my own world with my camera..it’s just…”me time” :)

• Michaela replied: — June 17th, 2011 at 3:38 pm

“me time”- that is a lovely definition :) and I totally get your point in not getting in the way of other customers! I certainly won´t ignore or disturb them, either!

Christine (The Raw Project) — June 17, 2011 at 1:03 pm

Beet juice is crazy strong stuff, it always dyes my wood chopping blocks. The ginger beets sound awesome, great job! Yum!

1. Yes, but they’re hard to work with raw, so I usually end up cooking them.
    2. Lately pureed into salad dressings or in juice form.
    3. Another Ikea trip to put the finishing touches on the office and who knows for Father’s Day. :-)

Lisa — June 17, 2011 at 1:03 pm

I love roasted beets…cooled just to room temp and then on salad with a little goat cheese (or nut cheese if I’m trying to be totally dairy free that day). I roast them in their skins in foil…and then take a paper towel and slide the skin right off afterward. Enjoy your beets!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table — June 17, 2011 at 1:15 pm

I am just begging to acquire a taste for beets. Recently I ordered a beet-based juice to drink during a WF trip. Let me just say that when you wake up in the middle of the night thinking you’re peeing blood… very scary moment in your life!

Tulika — June 17, 2011 at 1:32 pm

This recipe looks great!! Beets are my favorite veggie of ALL time (weird and bold statement, I know, haha!).

mi-an — June 17, 2011 at 1:44 pm

I’m a veggie lover and I love beets!! canned beets?? grrooowdy! actually any canned veggies scare me! the only canned stuff i usually get are chickpeas and the beans (kidney, canellini etc.)

Leslie — June 17, 2011 at 1:45 pm

What a great post! I am always looking to try something new but just need that extra “nudge” and this post did just that.

I like beets, (juiced), but never tried the canned kind because, yes, they did scare me, and never really knew how to cook them, but this recipe is easy! I’ll try it!

Hayley @ Oat Couture — June 17, 2011 at 1:58 pm

Roasted is the only way for me! But I would never have thought to try them with ginger, so thank you! :)

Moni'sMeals — June 17, 2011 at 2:22 pm

YUM Averie!

Roasted Roasted Roasted!

I love this recipe of yours. I love your hands too, haha. Do you every chase lil Skylar around with those hands, haha!jking..

Andrea (Run. Learn. Repeat.) — June 17, 2011 at 2:47 pm

Just made your avocado banana ice-cream. Yummy! Thanks!

Paige @ Running Around Normal — June 17, 2011 at 3:27 pm

Thanks for the tutorial! I was just eating some beets (pickled beets) today and thought the SAME thing about the Easter Eggs. They could totally double as pink/red food coloring!

Holley @ Lunges and Lashes — June 17, 2011 at 4:16 pm

LOVE beets and ginger too. I hadn’t thought of roasting ginger before though… great idea!

Bria @ West of Persia — June 17, 2011 at 4:19 pm

I actually do like beets a lot. Thanks for posting about them this week. A good reminder that I should get some and roast them :-)

Weekend plans are mostly work, maybe a run to Target and also a run to the neighborhood that has all of the cool Indian stores with incense, cheap, awesome veggies, spices, and deals on things like coconut flour. Always fun to look at the sparkly dresses and saris in the stores.

Have a great weekend, Averie!

The Delicate Place — June 17, 2011 at 4:47 pm

coconut oil + roasted beets=red candy…ok not really but really really good! i love the purple chewy potatoes in those tri color blends. also love Okinawan sweet potatoes. supposed to meet my parents for lunch on sunday and i made him a chocolate basket with his fave candies and some salt water taffy (he never gets any but loves the stuff!)

Carey @ Positively Blonde — June 17, 2011 at 4:50 pm

The only way I’ve ever had beets is the pickled beets that come in a jar. That’s so pathetic haha, I really need to give it a try and make some of my own!!

Jess — June 17, 2011 at 5:51 pm

Mmmm, I had some beets tonight–but those look BETTER!! I usually just put them on a salad :)

Maris (in Good Taste) — June 17, 2011 at 5:54 pm

I do like beets but have never made them fresh. Your post has inspired me to try especially after seeing the gorgeous finished product!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — June 17th, 2011 at 7:02 pm

Oh you will love them. You are such a great cook, these will be a snap and you will never buy pre-made ones again!

Victoria @ The Pursuit of Hippieness — June 17, 2011 at 6:45 pm

I’m off to the Farmer’s Market tomorrow, and was already planning on getting some beets… I love them roasted over salad, but I’ve been itching to try them in a dessert recipe too… I heard they’re fantastic in chocolate cake!

P.S. your avocado banana ice cream was eaten in my house in like .5 seconds. SOOO good.

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — June 17th, 2011 at 7:03 pm

good info about avo banana ice cream :) glad it was a hit!

beets in cake…well many people who are adverse to using white/cane sugar, use beet sugar. I know too that you can use the whole beet, that adds lots of bulk/mass but yes, I bet they’re good!

Noya - gluttonandstudent — June 17, 2011 at 9:29 pm

Those beets look amazing! I really want to try to make them.
    My mom makes roasted roots (including beets) for Thanksgiving and they’re always a big hit.

Your pictures look great!

Kie — June 17, 2011 at 10:30 pm

Those beets look amazing!

Check out my dim sum post at

Sarah — June 18, 2011 at 6:00 am

Just yesterday I discovered my new fave way of eating beets:) I put them raw through my spiralizer and topped them with a basil cashew cream sauce. Very fresh and light. I really love golden beets but can almost never find them in my market:( will definitely try this recipe!

Pure2raw twins — June 18, 2011 at 2:30 pm

LOVE BEETS haha but you already knew that

lauren@spicedplate — June 19, 2011 at 8:12 am

this sounds delicious! beets are fantastic — I love beet juice. But beets with ginger is the ultimate combination. I love making beet chips drizzled with powdered ginger in the winter. but this recipe has made me want them now!

Katya — June 21, 2011 at 11:14 pm

I really liked beets when I was really little, but now I’m not too fond of them. I’ll eat them mixed with other things, but I used to be able to eat them plain(!)