Health & Beauty Mall Trip

Today I went to the mall and it was bing, bang, boom, and I knocked out my quickie errands.

They just happen to be health & beauty related.

Bing…

Go to the MAC StoreNot the computer store. I just got one of those.  I’m good for many years, I hope, on the computer front.

But I did need to restock some makeup essentials: Studio Fix Pressed Powder (NC 43), Boot Black liquid eyeliner, Pink Freeze Eyeshadow, and lipglass in Prrr.

I’ve previously mentioned my love of Mac.

And Prrr

Bang…

A couple doors down, I went into Kiehl’s and picked up a tub of Olive Fruit Oil Deeply Repairative Hair Pak

I used to use this conditioner all the time, but forgot about it.  I brought a half-used jar down to Aruba on vacation and was reminded how much I love the stuff so picked up a fresh jar.  If you don’t have really dry hair, or coarse/thick hair, skip this product.

I still love my Enjoy! and talked about all my hair care products here.

There were lots of hair products I reviewed in that post.

Boom…

I hit up Sephora right after Kiehl’s and got a new set of tweezers.

I admit, I am an eyebrow tweeze-aholic.

I recently dropped my uber fine-tip pointed tweezers rendering them pretty much useless because the tip got bent so these came just in the nick of time.  You don’t want to see a unibrow or anything, right?

They sold 1 pair for $22 or 2 pair for $25.  I got the two pair even though I am not a slant-tip girl, but hey, I figure they may come in handy some day.

And so there you have it, bing, bang, boom. I was in and out of the mall, and parked, on a Friday afternoon in the summer, in 40 minutes flat.   I love efficiency!

Prior to even going to the mall, I stopped at the bank.  I love being debt free and saving money, too.  It felt great to make a sizable contribution to my savings plan before I even went to the mall.  And no, I could have gone to the mall with my savings in my wallet and the money wouldn’t have burned a hole in my wallet.  It was ear-marked for savings, period.

Now that 2011 is halfway over, I am proud to say that my 2011 Intentions and Goals as they pertain to finances are on track!

From my last post and there being A First Time for Everything, thanks for filling me in on any firsts you’ve had recently.

For anyone who had a question regarding Windows Live Writer, using it, how it interfaces with a Mac, if it was difficult to set up, etc.  I answered those questions in the comment field so if you’re curious, go check out my answers.

The short answer is that I am quite speedy blogging from WordPress’ platform with my new Mac and I really don’t see the benefit, for me, in using WLW.  It seems like it’s lots of extra effort and really, I don’t find the features that it offers that “amazing” in order to justify using it or spending lots of time in the learning curve process.  My opinions only, of course. I know some people adore it, and that’s awesome.  If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it! And for me, what I am doing now isn’t broke so I plan to just keep on the way I have been which is just using WP.  Glad I tried WLW though.  Never know til you try and I may try tinkering around with it again in the future, too.

For now I’d like to tinker with a  Vegan Gluten Free Banana Nut Muffin

1. What was the last thing beauty product you bought?

2. Any health and beauty, hair, makeup, skincare or similar products you are in love with lately?

I discussed many of my hair products here

Makeup here and here

3. Weekend plans?

I am working, spending time with the fam, hopefully enjoying some nice weather (but it’s been overcast and June Gloomy the past few days) and I’d like to create some goodies in the kitchen.

Sneak Peak at something I created and it’s amazing:

Chocolate Hazelnut Spread, i.e. Nutella + Peanut Butter

Enjoy your weekend!

52 Responses to “Health & Beauty Mall Trip”

Morgan — June 10, 2011 at 7:58 pm

I LOVE MAC products! It’s so easy to spend hundreds of dollars there in a matter of minutes…

Hannah (tickledtofu) — June 10, 2011 at 8:05 pm

My favorite products are Burt’s Bees brand…I can always count on quality products that are all natural and not tested on animals (and very affordable!)

Jaime — June 10, 2011 at 8:07 pm

I am a HUGE fan of Kiehl’s products, but have not tried that conditioner. I will pick some up on my next trip. Thanks for the review :)

hippierunner — June 10, 2011 at 8:08 pm

Ooh the hazelnut chocolate spread looks good! Shiny new tweezers are fun too lol. ;)

Kristina @ spabettie — June 10, 2011 at 8:21 pm

Averie, I think you and I would have FUN shopping!! not only do I have a serious MAC and Sephora addiction, Jason has said he admires my efficiency in shopping – in awe that I can walk into a store, scan it, and zero in on something I want, or leave! :)

my last beauty product was today – ordering more Smashbox online – I use their primers and LOVE them!

happy Friday – have a FANTASTIC weekend!!

Brooke — June 10, 2011 at 8:50 pm

I’ve been buying Neutrogen skin glow makeup…I really like it.

Brooke Annessa

Jackie Smith — June 10, 2011 at 9:18 pm

I’m totally in love with BedHead curly hair products (in the purple bottles)–they smell like candy!

The last “beauty” thing I bought was from Costco–a new ‘ionized’ blow dryer. It is awesome!

Mimi (Gingersnaps) — June 10, 2011 at 9:34 pm

Gaaah! Tips for putting on liquid liner? I always wind up looking like I’m trying to channel Cleopatra!

I love MAC though. You are a lady of fine taste!

Hehe, PB and Nutella is an amazing spread. I put it on toast! …. It needs to go on brownies or chocolate cupcakes. Stat.

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — June 11th, 2011 at 5:01 am

Start at the inner corner of your eye, just trace your entire lash-line with the liner. Work quickly and lightly if need be. Don’t pause much or draw the line too slowly, that creates glops and blobs. And don’t use too much product on the tip of the liner. That is a recipe for disaster unless you’re a pro :)

Ellie@fitforthesoul — June 10, 2011 at 10:08 pm

I really don’t know much about makeup Averie!! But these all look like great purchases–especially Kiehl’s. I know it’s good stuff b/c a lot of Korean guys IN KOREA seem to looooove that brand and use a bunch of stuff from there. (Korean guys in Korea take very good care of themselves–sometimes too much? haha) And I love a lot of things from L’Occitane! You know that store right? I particularly love some of their lotions and this one sample of a “conditioner” type thing to make the hair very silky and healthy. It’s in a peach package. Can’t remember the name! :P

Katie — June 10, 2011 at 10:10 pm

Would you believe that I have never once tweezed my eyebrows? True. And I went shopping yesterday for a new french press and spent 1 1/2 hours at TJ MAxx. That store can suck me in like no other.

mi-an — June 10, 2011 at 10:34 pm

I love beauty products! I love Bobbi Brown Make up. Right now i’m loving the bronzer and pink blush i got from Bobbi Brown recently. Also i have thick hair so I may try that Kiehl’s conditioner you got. I love love sephora too! I go there just to try all their beauty products. hahah. Right now i’m loving Josie Maran spf 40 moisturizer with argan oil. Going to wedding reception tomorrow in Napa! my gf had her ceremony in Belize and tomorrow is the reception…it will be at family’s winery (Peju Province) yay! have a great weekend!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — June 11th, 2011 at 5:03 am

it sounds fabulous! I LOVE PEJU!!! Omg I used to be part of their wine club of the month! I would get their bottles delivered every month to my house…such a small, niche vineyard…and you know the family. What are the odds?! :)

Anne — June 11, 2011 at 1:42 am

My skin doesn’t tolerate MAC – I heard it’s pretty common, something with more pigment in their colours, I think. For sure they have the best and most varied colour scheme out there! I have a friend who is the same. Dang it.

I did TOO much beauty shopping lately, though, but I saved on some sensible items too, so I’m not freaked out about it. And I’m keeping my minimum limit paying off a loan, so I’m good. Would like to pay off more, but slow and steady wins the race too. I’m pretty sure your economic-responsibility post was my last nudge to contact my bank and get a back-payment deal!

Sara (The Veggie Eco-Life) — June 11, 2011 at 2:05 am

It must be great to buy all sorts of products. I have a VERY sensitive skin (also slightly allergic to perfume). So I have to be careful with things I buy. I do love Body Shop products! They have this line with aloë vera, that’s without parfume, and it is really great and moisturizing. I don’t use make-up very often, only some lipstick every once in a while, and that’s a dark red one from the Body Shop :)

VeggieGirl — June 11, 2011 at 2:53 am

LOVE MAC cosmetics!!

Suave Slav and I have a dance showcase today – nervous but excited :)

cathy — June 11, 2011 at 3:34 am

i’m big on eyebrow maintenance, too. love the pink tweezers!
    i have not bought beauty products in ages because i am trying to use up “leftovers” that are sitting around…but i’m noticing that my face doesn’t look/feel as smooth, soft, so i’m going to need to replenish soon….lancome will be making a comeback, i have a feeling!
    working this weekend – and that’s ok!
    enjoy your day and hope the sun makes a return!

Jess@HealthyExposures — June 11, 2011 at 4:35 am

I love your MAC colection. Well, more like myself a year or two ago would be obsessed with your MAC collection. I used to adore all kinda of crazy colors of eyeshadows!! L’Oreal H.I.P was my jam (no MAC around here!)
    Last beauty purchase was some eyeliner from Target. Wore it yesterday for the first time and it’s the best $3 I ever spent. That stuff does. not. budge. Can’t believe it!!
    I hear you on WLW. It was a lifesaver for my old laptop; but this computer is so much faster (and I think having a mouse makes things faster, too) that I haven’t bothered looking into anything other than the WP dashboard. The only thing I really miss is that ability to put images smaller and side by side if I wanted to. I could still do it I guess, but I’d have to lay it out in Photoshop first :\
    Enjoy your weekend!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — June 11th, 2011 at 5:05 am

“The only thing I really miss is that ability to put images smaller and side by side if I wanted to. I could still do it I guess, but I’d have to lay it out in Photoshop first :\” —

Yes and if you have LR you can do it in there, too. Kath does it in her LR, that’s how she makes her collages. I have done it, but it’s time consuming and really I dont care that much to bother. It’s a blog post; not a work of art :)

And thanks for saying this “It was a lifesaver for my old laptop; but this computer is so much faster (and I think having a mouse makes things faster, too)….” –I thought i was crazy but seriously, just WP dashboard is faster than trying to interface it all. I am just staying with WP!

Katie — June 11, 2011 at 4:45 am

Love the lipglass Prrr from MAC! I used to get that!!!

Loving the goods girl! I hope you have a beautiful weekend!

I am heading to PA today, wedding prep is beginning! love u!

Erica — June 11, 2011 at 4:57 am

Fun buys! I want to try that condition. My hair has been feeling a little too dry as of late. I can’t wait to see the spread- sounds totally yummy. A nut butter love child :) I am so excited its the weekend. Things have been a little too crazy for me this week and I am TIRED! I am teaching at the gym this morning, having lunch with a friend and then hopefully relaxing at the pool

allison — June 11, 2011 at 5:24 am

Thats crazy that you were in and out of the mall so quickly on a friday!! And fun girlie goods:):):) Im super natural and i dont use very many products but every now and then its fun to be all girlie and use a bunch of products:)
    I never used WLW cause wordpress always worked super quick on my computer. It is also important that you have a super fast internet connection! At work the wifi is fast and i can load a picture in a second but it would take a minute or longer with my crappy internet at my house!

Kaitlyn — June 11, 2011 at 5:58 am

One of my goals this month was to get my finances on track!! I’m doing pretty well too, just designated the rest of my paycheck from this week as spending money for when I’m in San Diego next weekend. It feels so good to have money left over at the end of the week, and to turn down spending on things I don’t really need or really, really want.

Speaking of things I really need…beauty products are on that list! I haven’t bought makeup in well over a year. This morning MIGHT include an eyebrow waxing though, I’m desperate! I am excited to try some new, all-natural products in the coming weeks as I run out of things like shampoo!

This weekend it’s my turn to visit my boyfriend in the city. No beach for us, as originally planned, because it’s gloomy here too.

char @ char on a mission — June 11, 2011 at 6:14 am

Love, Love, LOVE MAC!! My cousin used to work for them, so for a little bit I was able to build my collection that way! I need a much overdue trip to the MAC store…but with my budget in mind, it will have to wait!

dragonmamma/naomi — June 11, 2011 at 6:22 am

What day did you buy your computer? If it was June 6 or later, you get a free copy of Lion. (Apply for it at the store.)
    Busy morning. As soon as I finish on the computer here I’m going to:
    1 Jump-rope for half an hour.
    2 Do about an hour of dirty gardening work.
    3 Shower
    4 Bike-ride with Rob to the Pupuseria Salvadorena to get sweet tamales de elota and mexican coffee for breakfast.
    5 Cut Rob’s hair.
    6 Have Rob dye my hair.
    Haven’t figured out the day after that.

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — June 11th, 2011 at 12:39 pm

June 4

THAT Is the type of thing that is the story of my life but I will be calling the store and talking to them about it…ahem. :)

Thanks for the info!

Cait's Plate — June 11, 2011 at 6:30 am

This was awesome – what a good idea for a post :) I too am an eyebrow tweeze-aholic – so I totally hear ya on that!

I work at a fashion magazine so for our next beauty sale I may just need to try to scoop up some of these products if they have them!

PS – that muffin looks AMAZING!

katie @ KatieDid — June 11, 2011 at 7:23 am

I’m a tweeze-aholic too haha! I am known to go at them nearly everyday just a little bit. I’d rather keep up with them daily then have to do a lot at once. Plus I find it oddly relaxing lol. And MAC products are great. I have only splurged on a couple items, but I am finally realizing that quality makeup is actually worth investing in for certain items.

Katelyn (new kid on the vegan block) — June 11, 2011 at 7:41 am

I swear by MAC’s power point eyeliner. Best eyeliner I have ever used, and being a complete beauty addict, I’ve tried a lot of brands. It might sound ridiculous, but I get a certain sort of zen feeling in sephora :)

melissa @ the delicate place — June 11, 2011 at 7:57 am

last beauty product i bought was black liquid eyeliner by maybelline..i’m a drugstore/minimalist makeup kinda gal. i love kiehl’s products! so lush!

Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic — June 11, 2011 at 8:34 am

I love make-up too and my latest obsession is Dior Addict Lip Polish. And I can’t live without Laura Mercier oil-free tinted moisturizer!

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine — June 11, 2011 at 8:55 am

I loooove those Tweezerman tweezers. Sounds kinda gross, but they’re the best for ingrown hairs. Sorry if that’s TMI, haha :)

Last beauty product I bought was (I think?) Oscar Blandi dry shampoo. Love it!! I’m the kind of person that just sticks with the same products over and over, so it’s rare that I try totally new stuff!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — June 11th, 2011 at 12:40 pm

THAT’s why I bought them…sometimes you just need a SUPER fine point for all kinds of hairs or hair dilemmas. ha!

Christine (The Raw Project) — June 11, 2011 at 9:35 am

I love knocking out errands, got 4 done in a row yesterday. Nice cosmetics haul. Except for the Clarisonic replacement brushes, most of my hair care products and makeup come from Target. :-P

I kind of feel the same way about WLW, I have a fast process down using Paint.NET and the WP web interface for posting and WLW seemed to complicate that for me.

1. Face soap from Target.
    2. Olay Definity foundation, the builtin sunblock seems to work great and it’s not greasy. And BioSilk for when I flat iron my hair.
    3. Another trip to Ikea and hopefully finishing our new office – can’t wait!

O.C. — June 11, 2011 at 9:57 am

I love morrocan oil hair oil to help fight the wild frizz monster that takes over my head in this summer heat and humidity! and Hempz makes just about the best body lotion everr!
    Lately I’ve been loving coconut oil as a hair mask and body mosturizer too :)

Phoebe — June 11, 2011 at 5:01 pm

I love MAC colors, lip products & pigments and also they are cruelty free!! ;)

Get Skinny, Go Vegan. — June 12, 2011 at 1:36 pm

Love health & beauty runs!
    Love my Mineral Fusion compact & have been flirting with some “natural” mascaras.
    I basically live off my compact & lipstick.

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — June 12th, 2011 at 3:17 pm

I just fished like 20 comments of yours out of my spam yesterday, too…just fyi I read them all…all at once :) not sure why they went in there but you’re flagged as NOT spam, now.

• Get Skinny, Go Vegan. replied: — June 12th, 2011 at 3:45 pm

Oh goodness! As long as it’s “vegan” spam :)

kris (everyday oats) — June 12, 2011 at 3:12 pm

I bought a lipstick from MAC recently. Actually it was the first mac product I’ve ever purchased, and I’m in love with it! I don’t know what took me so long to buy their products.

I’ve been obsessed with a mineral bronzer I bought lately. I almost feel as though it made the blemishes on my skin even better! if thats possible…

• kris (everyday oats) replied: — June 12th, 2011 at 3:15 pm

I just realized that makes it sound like I’m super vain and think I have really amazing skin…haha
      I meant it in the way that I have a lot of redness from acne scars and such, and I felt like the mineral bronzer kind of smoothed it out in some way.

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — June 12th, 2011 at 3:16 pm

no girl i knew what you meant and i have heard that before about that product!

Beth — June 13, 2011 at 10:16 am

Shopping, budgeting and savings. Wow! Way to stay on track :)

New shampoo & conditioner by Prairie Naturals. First time I’ve tried them and I am glad I did.

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — June 13, 2011 at 9:46 pm

Those are fun kind of errands!! I love getting new beauty products!!