Knock It Out & Pileups

My life has been a whirlwind since returning home from Aruba.  Almost 3 weeks gone and on vacation is lovely while you’re gone. But then you have to get back to real life and in my case I had to do it without missing a beat and had to hit the ground running.

From the moment I stepped off the plane there was mail to sort

And product reviews I neeeded to write.  Lots of them:

Powder

And: Snack Boxes

And: On a Stick!

And: Stevia & Chocolate

Whew.

But I think I am mostly caught up now.

I’ve also been knocking out some easy, fresh, fast meals and snacks.

Salads with veggies

Adding in some Sweet & Sour Honey Lemon Tofu would be great with the salad.

But I haven’t turned my oven on in a month!

Everything I’ve made has either been on the stovetop…

Like Mango Balsamic Rice, Beans, & Mixed Vegetables

Or has been made in my Vita…

From Taste of the Tropics Smoothies

to No Bake Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Bites

I’ve been knocking out easy things that don’t heat up the house.  Not that it’s that hot or anything here.

Truth be told, turning on my oven has nothing to do with heat index and everything to do with time management and just being so ridiculously busy.

I had to knock out getting a new computer all set up, too.

But that was a fun knock out!

From my last post, Stevia & Chocolate, it was fun to read if you’re a stevia fan or not.  Most of you have tried it and really like it or are at least curious about trying it one of these days.

As suspected, most of you are chocolate fansI knew that already! But there were a few people who said you’re just meh or whatever about chocolate.  <— I don’t understand this!

1. What have you been knocking out recently?

Any life stuff, chores, errands, projects that you’ve tackled and knocked out?

Or maybe you’ve made some knock-outs in the kitchen. Any gems you want to tell me about?

2. Do you feel stressed or anxious when things pile up?

I do!  I hate the feeling of excess, pile-up, surplus, too much.  It leaves me anxious.

It stresses me out when I feel that things are too piled up.  I hate letting anything accumulate, especially blog writing and product reviews.  Heather recently wrote that she wanted to move away from as many product reviews going forward and in the meantime had a ton to get through and was just going to knock them out as quickly as possible.

Not sure if I will start doing any less in the future, but I definitely don’t like them piling up for three weeks, and wanted to knock mine out, lickity split.

I like to work ahead of the curve, not behind it.  And when things pile up and are waiting for me, it makes me a bit frazzled and frantic and I don’t stop and find peace until things are done.   Or at least until I have things better controlled.

From my refrigerator busting at the seams with food I know we’ll have to scramble to eat before it goes bad to tons of phone calls that I have to return to emails I need to reply to, I really dislike the feeling of things being piled up!

What are your thoughts on pile ups and accumulation?

3. What do you do about it to either prevent it from happening or how to cope once things do just pile up?

I try to just take a deep breath, realize it’s not the end of the world if I can’t get to everything as promptly as I wish.

But, I also work as quickly and efficiently as possible to get things back on track.

Trying to just roll with the punches of life, practice some yoga breathing, and just be chill about things is my overall strategy.

P.S. Thanks for the Coconut Oil Giveaway entries!

49 Responses to “Knock It Out & Pileups”

katie @ KatieDid — June 8, 2011 at 8:39 pm

I usually make a master to do list in the morning and just chug away at it on those kinds of days. I much prefer to be ahead of the curve also. I’ve been knocking out lots and lots of errands to set up my new apartment. So many things to buy, services to set up, and decorations and supplies to purchase. It feels good to finally be mostly settled in now.

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit — June 8, 2011 at 8:40 pm

You get SO much stuff all the time! It’s so cool! I have a habit of getting anxious when things pile up. When it happens, I spend time with Kevin (my bf) – we laugh, walk the dogs, and remind ourselves why life is SO sweet! It really helps!

Michelle @ From Seed To Tree — June 8, 2011 at 9:02 pm

That tofu picture makes it look soooo delicious! Will try!

Katie — June 8, 2011 at 9:56 pm

I hate when things pile up too, and I am not one to just pass over things, but there comes a point when I just say that x y or z isn’t going to happen. Life is more important. BUt I get as much done as efficiently as possible before that. Yestereday was a perfect example, but most of everything got done. Same with today.

I busted out buying a car in two days. That’s the most money I’ve ever spent in my life!! I’m posting photos in a couple days, but I LOVE it! My parents even let me park it in the garage since there is a storm rolling in with potential hail. Gotta love living with the parents….temporarily. ;)

Kristen @ The Red Velvet Life — June 8, 2011 at 10:27 pm

Your no-bake meals look delicious! No need for the oven when you’re cookin’ up delicious things like that. I don’t like it when things pile up, but once I make up my mind to tackle things, I’m on it…and I think it’s fun to cross things off my to-do list. It sounds like you have everything under control – and anyways, all the product reviews look like fun. Especially enjoy life chocolate items, yum. Yeah, you can tell I’m a chocolate-lover. ;-)

Tasha @ Voracious — June 9, 2011 at 12:04 am

UGHG. I DO feel so stressed when things start piling up. I can just feel that tower of things to do looming over me. It’s not nice at all. And yes, I’m such a procrastinator I do tend to let things pile up. I gotta wait till the mood strikes to get everything done. The only thing I’m NOT like that about is school work and actual work. I enjoy those things so much I actually relish doing them and always stay right on top of them. It’s the smaller things and everyday chores that I always ignore.

Can I have some of that crispy tofu…please? It looks PERFECT!

Sam@I Tell Stories — June 9, 2011 at 3:01 am

Things are consistently “piled up” and on my “to-do” list. Unfortunately, it seems like the only day I get anything accomplished is Saturday ! :(

Love the new computer!

cathy — June 9, 2011 at 3:31 am

i HATE feeling “behind the 8 ball,” as my mom would say. i am definitely the work ahead/plan ahead type. nothing stresses me out more than having stuff to do, and no time to do it. or stuff to do and a last-minute curve ball prevents me from getting thru a To Do list.
    just remember all the stuff you HAVE tidied up/gotten thru so far!
    i also try to remember: “don’t sweat the small stuff,” and “how important is this in the grand scheme of life?”
    glad you’re enjoying your new computer! and you’re knocking out great recipes without the oven!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — June 9th, 2011 at 3:47 am

I JUST typed sentiments to that effect on Janetha’s blog last night when she asked about words of wisdom. Yep, that’s what i said!
      ““don’t sweat the small stuff,” and “how important is this in the grand scheme of life?””

Annie D. — June 9, 2011 at 3:46 am

BUSY BUSY BEE!!! I hate coming back from travel when I KNOW that there are a gozillion things to do at home. GAH. 1 thing at a time :)

Lauren — June 9, 2011 at 3:57 am

I admit, I am the WORST person to handle stress when my to-do lists gets out of control. I wish I could be more relaxed because I know it will always get done but it still always freaks me out to have more to do than I think will get done.

Holly @ The Runny Egg — June 9, 2011 at 4:32 am

Yes I get super anxious when things start to pile up — dirty dishes, laundry, work, things to do, etc. But I do what you are doing — knocking them out! I make a list and I get through as much as I can. It is amazing how much better I feel when I get things done. I just don’t like leaving things undone or not quite finished. Drives me nuts!

And its ok if there are people who don’t like chocolate — more for us who do!

Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope — June 9, 2011 at 4:35 am

I always try to have a game plan and stay on top of things, so being gone (I was gone for a week recently as you know) definitely throws my off my element. But I usually can prepare myself ahead of time for a couple stressful days of playing catch-up and know it will all get sorted out!

Madeline - Greens and Jeans — June 9, 2011 at 4:43 am

I HATE letting things pile up. It is one of the few things that totally stresses me out, which is why I am the master calendar organizer and list maker. I try to stay one or two steps ahead of the game and it leaves me with more free time and MUCH less stress!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) — June 9, 2011 at 5:24 am

I am working on packing and I refuse to let it get me overwhelmed. I’m trying to take things slowly and not get stressed. We aren’t under the gun or anything so that helps a lot. I really just need to get Tony set up at the new place and come back to finish things up here.

I hope you’re having a great week Averie!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — June 9, 2011 at 5:26 am

Ooooh, yes, I HATE pile-ups, and I LOVE it when I go through big piles and sort everything out! So cleansing :-)

Cait's a Runnerchick — June 9, 2011 at 5:30 am

i too start to get stressed if my to-do list and just things start to pile up. mostly though with any kind of deadline, which makes NO sense because i’m never late with things that have an actual deadline. but it’s like the second i get the project i do all i can to get as much done as i can right away, and i like to be done early. i just feel a lot better if i know i’m ahead of the curve. that said, it’s impossible to stay ahead on everything, so i prioritize. i’m also able to stay focused on what i need to and pound things out rather quickly. i also tell myself that my extra anxiety about finishing things is self-imposed, so i take a breath and acknowledge that in the end i always get what i need to done. good luck with finishing up all that’s on your to-do list, Averie…we all know you will! :)

Heather (Where's the Beach) — June 9, 2011 at 5:50 am

I’ve started knocking things off my new to-enjoy list. In turn, I’m finding myself also hitting some from my to-do list that I’ve been neglecting. Loving that.

Jordan @ foods sweat and beers — June 9, 2011 at 5:52 am

I DEFINITELY feel the stress when things pile up, both metaphorically and literally. I hate hate hateeeee piles of stuff on my kitchen counter, especially when I’m trying to cook, and on those occasions (i.e. all the time) when my beau puts his change of clothes there post-gym, I always casually knock them to the floor/a chair.

Yes, I know this means they’re still in a pile, just on the floor. But I still get my space to chop and prep!

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine — June 9, 2011 at 5:56 am

Today I’m knocking out PILES of baking for Mike’s little brother’s grad party. I’m kind of excited though- baking is always really really fun for me!! In general though, I get VERY stressed when things pile up. I’m easily overwhelmed and a perfectionist, so those things get to me. I try to remind myself that nothing is ever the be-all, end-all though. This too shall pass :)

kristina@beancakes — June 9, 2011 at 6:10 am

oh gosh, your photos have left me HUNGRY! like you, i don’t appreciate it when things pile up, i.e. dishes & especially LAUNDRY, ugh! i usually try and tackle it a little at a time {if there is a lot}, but sometimes i just “knock it out,” right then & there.
    P.S. Averie, please check out this link ~ there’s mention of you ;) ;) http://beancakes.wordpress.com/2011/06/09/popcorn-tastes…-movie-popcorn/
    xo~ kristina

Serena — June 9, 2011 at 7:32 am

Do you know if there are any possible negative side-effects from stevia? I tried to do some research on the internet but I can’t figure out if it’s all a bunch of lies or if stevia could be dangerous.

Also, I was reading through the old post on the topic of “healthifying desserts” and I wanted to add my 2 cents:
    I love to “healthify” desserts, but never sacrifice taste/texture for a few fat grams (or calories or whatnot). I like to know that what I put into my body is good for me, so I always try to use the best quality ingredients, pesticide-free fruits in my baking (especially when it’s peel-on) and usually not as much sugar as generally called for (I don’t have a big sweet tooth).

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — June 9th, 2011 at 12:04 pm

there’s negative effects from breathing air. there’s pollution in it :)

seriously there “can” be negatives in everything; you just have to do your research and go from there.

rawkinmom — June 9, 2011 at 7:34 am

I love sorting through a big pile of mail when its fun packages!!!! LOL
    I hate coming home from vacation too with laundry piles, bills accumulated, phone calls to return, unpacking…blah…..I’d much rather stay on a permanent vacation!!!

Tricia — June 9, 2011 at 7:59 am

Yesterday, I made some vegetarian pulled “pork” using green jackfruit. I haven’t actually eaten it on a sandwich yet, and it turned out a little vinegary, but I think I’m going to like it because I like vinegary. I made it in the crock pot because it has been a little on the insane side of hot here in central PA for the last two days anyhow. So, I knocked that out, and I’m pretty excited about eating it for lunch. I also cleaned my husband’s side of the office last week. OMG, it was bad. I told him we are going to have to go on one of those reality shows, and not the fun kind, if it gets that bad again!

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday — June 9, 2011 at 8:07 am

I definitely get stressed when I have a lot of things that I have to do. . . I end up doing a half-ass job just to get them out of the way and move on to the next. Procrastinating really sucks.

Tiff @ Love, Sweat, and Beers — June 9, 2011 at 8:24 am

New computer = Yay! I get stressed to the max when things pile up, but I it’s so rewarding and stress relieving when you knockout a bunch of stuff at once. Such a good feeling!

Amber K — June 9, 2011 at 8:25 am

I like working ahead of the curve too. I’d much rather be way ahead of schedule than to even be on time, let alone behind. I get really stressed out if I’m behind! I try and work hard so that I can keep ahead of schedule.

I love going on vacation, but it’s definitely a pain to come back to reality. Especially if there isn’t any time to reacclimate and I have to jump right back into things. I always try to plan at least a day to come back and relax before real life wants me back! It didn’t work out last time and I was sooo out of it for days.

Kelsey @ Snacking Squirrel — June 9, 2011 at 8:34 am

i like your postal box Averie!!! very professional :)
    big fan of enjoy life foods too.

i would write a better comment but im not sure if my computer will act up again and let this go through so im sort of testing it out. xo

marla — June 9, 2011 at 9:30 am

Can I tell you how much I need a new computer. Yours is beyond dazzling right now my dear :)

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — June 9th, 2011 at 12:05 pm

Running all those workhorse programs like Lightroom was making my machine just not even WORK anymore after 4.5 yrs old.

I need to hear about your 7D reviews, too!

Miss you!
      xo

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) — June 9, 2011 at 9:30 am

Yes, I hate when ANYTHING gets piled up! Laundry, email, bills… I can’t sleep if something is looming!

You got so many awesome goodies while you were away. I’m sure you can believe it, but I have about 6 months of product reviews to do, which may never happen. I feel bad! I have a box of Pho from last October that I haven’t even opened. And all the Tastemaker coupons? They end up expiring before I can use them. Ugh.

But there are worse jobs to have, so I’m not complaining. :)

Yesterday, FG = yes; TS = ??

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — June 9th, 2011 at 12:03 pm

product reviews…if I dont do them ASAP they would get lost in the shuffle, for sure. i hate to overwhelm people with them but it’s either that or never happen.

good job on FG and TS…typical timeframe, lol.

dragonmamma/naomi — June 9, 2011 at 9:51 am

I just knocked out a whole lot of gardening this morning. Had to replace a couple of veggie plants that didn’t make it through the ridiculous amounts of rain we had in the past month, plus a bunch of weeding.
    I just bought two of these at the farmer’s market last night: http://www.smartpots.com/smart-pot-air-prunes so I need to buy two more plants tomorrow. It will be interesting to see how they do in comparison to my other veggies.

Ela — June 9, 2011 at 10:03 am

I totally feel you! Just preparing a post on that myself: I feel like I’ve been doing three things at once at any given moment for days, and tomorrow a conference starts and then we go on another trip and it’ll all pile up again!

I love to work ahead of the curve too but I also find that i have to accept that I can’t always keep up with everything. I’m certainly not a superhero in that regard like you are! And I can’t imagine how I would do it with a kid too…

Christine (The Raw Project) — June 9, 2011 at 10:17 am

Wow, sounds like a crazy schedule! I hate the mad catch up part after a vacation and the longer the vacation, the worse the catch up is.

1. Tons of laundry, housework and office upgrade planning and moving into my new computer.
    2. Yes, I hate feeling like things are cluttered and out-of-control.
    3. Breath, make a task list and focus on the progress I’m making while reminding myself I’ve got things under control.

Get Skinny, Go Vegan. — June 9, 2011 at 10:41 am

Wow! At least you got lots of goodies at your own place while you were gone!!

Beth — June 9, 2011 at 11:38 am

Sounds like you really did hit the ground running when you got back. Good thing you got in lots of relaxation while you were in Aruba.

Knocked out a quick avocado, banana, cinnamon, ginger & nutmeg dip for my veggies at lunch. So yummy! It was like dipping my veggies in dessert ;)

Anxious? You bet! When my desk job, paintball job, and housework pile up I start to stress out. Thankfully I’m training someone to replace me at the paintball field. Will be nice to have a day “off” work to get the stuff around the house taken care of. Why did we buy a house with such a huge yard? LOL!

Katy @ My Vegan Weight Loss Journey — June 10, 2011 at 4:03 am

Averie-I am really excited about trying your PB chocolate chip energy bars! I am leaving for a trip today and since they are no-bake, I am going to try to whip them up really fast so I can take them with me for snacks! I have been reading your blog for a few months now and I really enjoy it! :)

• miguel replied: — June 10th, 2011 at 10:16 pm

your right katy…this is awesome i did try the chocolate chips and my kids they really love them keep telling make more…can bring this to school?i let them bring to schools and share to their friend…

erica — June 10, 2011 at 10:13 pm

that’s right christine, even me i don’t like my work file up..before i start my day very stressful,everything is rush.but then when i read this article i feel great early morning i prepare kids to school no rush everything is good.thanks for sharing this idea.
    noe i can even lots of time for my work without rushing

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — June 11, 2011 at 10:17 am

I definitely get stressed when things pile up. I have felt like that this last couple of weeks, but fortunately things are winding down. I knocked out report cards last week, my sisters shower stuff all week, and then tomorrow I will knock out my final assignment for my class.

Krista — June 14, 2011 at 6:43 am

I absolutely get stressed when things pile up. I can’t live in chaos…..makes me cranky!