Manly Food & Girly Food

In honor of Father’s Day, I thought I’d post some “manly” recipes.  You know, sausage and meatballs, beer and bratwurst, hoagie sandwiches, pizza and garlic bread recipes,  but then I realized I don’t have any recipes like that.  I don’t eat those kind of foods and I don’t make them for Scott.

If you want Manly Food check out Lori’s Post or Jessica’s PostThose two have happy husbands, no doubt.

But about the most “manly” food I can come up with are things like:

Cheesy Taco Casserole

One Pot Gluten Free Vegan Mac-N-Cheese which is more along the lines of “comfort food” than “man food”.

CIMG8124

Or try Vegan Fajitas with Vegan Sweet Ginger-Lime-Cumin Dipping Sauce

However, many men I know like real meat in their fajitas.  My version uses real mushrooms.

So even though I may not have tons of manly recipes, I have plenty of girly food:

A recipe like No Bake White Chocolate & Mango Cookie Dough Bites screams baby shower or bridal shower food.

Or No Bake Vanilla Cake Batter Chocolate Truffles would be perfect on a girls night in with a bottle of wine.

Or bring these for a stitch ‘n bitch.  You know, where you bring your craft projects over to your girlfriend’s house and you work on your crafts together while bitching about everything under the sun and two hours later you’ve caught up on your crafting and on each other’s lives and you’re feeling awesome and recharged.  And both the gripes and the truffles are all gone.

And I really don’t think White Chocolate Blondies with Chocolate Peanut Butter Frosting are the type of thing that dudes smoking cigars and playing poker are going to go ga-ga over, ya know?  But serve these to women, and all the world’s problems, including PMS, are solved.

And from my last post, I Really Shouldn’t, I am glad you liked that one.  There are so many things that I really shouldn’t do, but did or do them anyway.

I loved reading your I Shouldn’t But I’m going to Anyway items.  Great comments to read over.  Thank you for those.

1. Do you think some food is more manly and some is more girly?

My opinion only, of course. But yes, I do.

And before anyone gets their undies in a wad, I wrote this post with a sense of humor, to be kept light. Of course we can all eat any kind of food, there are no rules, and if there were any rules, there will always someone who is an exception to the rule.

2. Any types of food that jump out at you as woman food vs. man food?

For me, I will say sweets, especially chocolate, seem more adored by women.  Not saying that men don’t like sweets and chocolate too, but I think that women, something about the way we’re wired and our genetics as a whole, are even more in love with their sweets.  Especially around that time of the month, ahem.

Just think about the way a room full of women will oooh and aahh and swarm a dessert table at a party compared to men who seem more take-it-or-leave it.  Just what I’ve tended to observe over the years and yes, there are always exceptions to the rule.  Like my dad who will swarm a table for a piece of cake.

I’d swarm a table for Nutella & Peanut Butter Graham Bars with Chocolate Frosting (No Bake) and maybe men would, too.

3. Father’s Day Plans?

Since I live many thousands of miles away from my dad, we won’t be getting together.

I will be spending time with Skylar and Scott and trying to make his weekend special.  He requested time on Saturday afternoon to go attend a seminar he was interested in and if that’s what helps make his weekend a little bit more fun or special from his perspective, great and I said have fun and go enjoy.

P.S. The Taste of Adams Avenue Giveaway is still open

Happy Father’s Day to all the dads!

32 Responses to “Manly Food & Girly Food”

Emily @ One Sweet Vegan — June 18, 2011 at 8:11 am

I’m definitely an exception to the rule when it comes to sweets. Something happened to me as I got older. I lost my love for them. It’s sad, I know. I almost never crave anything sweet and almost never eat anything sweet. How’d a gal like me get the last name Sweet?

We’re celebrating Father’s Day today and tomorrow. Today we’re having a feast. Veggie Kabobs served over quinoa with “yogurt”-tahini sauce for drizzling on top, strawberry fields spinach salad with poppy-sesame seed vinaigrette dressing, dill potato salad, and for dessert–sugar and cinnamon corn tortilla “crepes” filled with strawberries.

All what I’d call “girl food”. :-)

• Emily @ One Sweet Vegan replied: — June 18th, 2011 at 8:13 am

P.S. The photo of your cheesy taco casserole calls out to me every time I see it. I NEED to make that soon!

O.C. — June 18, 2011 at 8:17 am

To me cupcakes and anything mini are more girly, feminine type food. Guys just have bigger appetites and don’t really care if their food looks cute or pretty!

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen — June 18, 2011 at 8:30 am

I definitely think there are certain foods that fit into a “gender category”! Thankfully, my husband doesn’t care what he eats and eats anything I make :) He’s not a sports watcher and he could care less if there’s meat in a meal. I didn’t realize how lucky I was when I snagged him ;) haha

Christine (The Raw Project) — June 18, 2011 at 8:35 am

Heh, to funny on Father’s Day food. Truthfully I hate that “manly food” always seems to be loads of animal products. Men can grill zucchini too! Great pics and inspiration.

1. I try not too because my hubby grew up in a meat-heavy family and seems to think fruits and huge salads are girly, so I’m trying to break that down. :-)
    2. I guess fruits and some sweets seem more girly while huge fast food burgers seem more manly. Again, I think that needs to go away, just like men can be “man enough” to wear pink, they can be “man enough” to eat a salad. :-)
    3. None yet, maybe a last minute gathering.

kate — June 18, 2011 at 8:43 am

Love the fathers day ideas unfortunately I wont get to see my daddy this year so we will have to celebrate when I am home in a few weeks, I think of sweets as girly food simply because girls are often the ones with sweet tooths. I also think of meat as more manly I dont know why.

Ragnhild — June 18, 2011 at 8:48 am

Great ideas for mens food!
    Though, Im so happy Im a girl! And one of the reasons is that we LOVE chocolate so much! I just dont get that men seems to want meat or chips over than Chocolate.. I would really hate to not love chocolate!

Ragnhild — June 18, 2011 at 8:49 am

Oh, and forgot to say. i just got some dried mango yesterday all the way from USA. And now Im planning to make your White Chocolate and Mango bits but using dark chocolate instead. Do you think that would work? i cant see dark chocolate be wrong in anything..

Katie — June 18, 2011 at 8:58 am

I’m hanging with my dad all weekend, but tomorrow we are probably going to keep it low key after the shenanigans of today. :)

I think there are manly and girly foods, but I know plenty of guys that would eat the crap out of those chocolate bars and such. My football playing huge muscle brothers both come to mind. They may have even bigger sweet teeth than I do!

VeggieGirl — June 18, 2011 at 9:23 am

That’s my same opinion too :) I crave chocolate while Suave Slav craves meat and salty.

Carey @ Positively Blonde — June 18, 2011 at 9:37 am

For Father’s Day, I just made my Dad some Frozen Banana Ice Cream Sandwiches. I’m not sure if that fits into being a manly or a girly food but either way I’m pretty sure he’ll enjoy it :)

Jess — June 18, 2011 at 9:38 am

I definitely think there’s “manly food” and more “girly food”! Hello, RIBS?! ;)

Amber K — June 18, 2011 at 9:48 am

My husband definitely enjoys desserts and sweets, but he can take them or leave them. He doesn’t really “crave” things and if he’s hungry and there’s something that at least resembles food, he’s good. I think women make more of a fuss over food because we gather more pleasure from it. Actually, maybe not more pleasure, just a different kind of a different way.

Amanda Jewell — June 18, 2011 at 10:15 am

I want that mac n’ cheese BADDDDDDDD. :-)
    I definitely think there’s “manly” food: meat-lovers pizzzs, pork, steaks, oversized burgers (1lb+!!), etc… Basically, they tend to love anything that can give you atherosclerosis :-)
    (of course, that’s not always the case, not all men like those things & some men love sweets too)

dragonmamma/naomi — June 18, 2011 at 10:19 am

Remember the old “Real Men Don’t Eat Quiche” cliche?

My husband and I both have “manly” tastes: Lots of meat and eggs. But we also eat tons of veggies, along with sissy foods like chocolate and coconut. Actually, my husband will eat pretty much anything I put in front of his face.

Sara (The Veggie Eco-Life) — June 18, 2011 at 10:26 am

I don’t think there’s a real distinction man/woman food… I think women just think more about their health, and ‘sin’ with sweet stuff.
    My boyfriend loves sweet treats, I love pizza and garlic bread :p
    And my dad is also has a huuuge sweet tooth. (my mother doesn’t, at all)

Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic — June 18, 2011 at 10:44 am

I think meat (steaks, burger) is usually considered manly food, while sweets (chocolates, cupcakes) are usually considered girly food. I like both, as long as it’s good food!

Rachel @ Eat, Learn, Discover! — June 18, 2011 at 11:18 am

real men eat girly food, and aren’t afraid to say it! :-P

Hayley @ Oat Couture — June 18, 2011 at 11:27 am

Definitely some foods are more ‘manly’ steak… chips… burgers…ribs… not that I don’t enjoy all of those things! :) I know Luke makes a little face every time I make him some meatless food :/ Poor guy! haha!

Moni'sMeals — June 18, 2011 at 11:43 am

I love this post!

Some great ideas really Averie. What to do, what to do…:) I also have a great quinoa mac n cheese recipe that my husband loves. That is always a hit. I want to check out yours. :)

(I feel like I eat more like a man though than girlie food! haha.)

bitt — June 18, 2011 at 11:47 am

just checking in, too busy these days! my husband does go gaga over chocolate. so do other guys I know, but they are comfortable in themselves and don’t need to eat beef jerky and hunt to prove themselves. the chocolate in this house is 50/50 for sure.

catching up on your posts and noticed you said tissues and TP are expensive. yes, but also one of the most common items to have coupons. worth a glance through the circulars or even online printables for deals. good luck!

happy dad’s day to scott in advance.

kris (everyday oats) — June 18, 2011 at 11:51 am

I think certain foods are definitely more manly or girly too! However, I think girls can get away with eating manly foods a lot more easily than guys can get away with eating girly foods. I mean, how many guys out there feel manly having tea and eating mini crustless sandwiches? ;)

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — June 18, 2011 at 11:57 am

Hahaha…poor Ryan is forced to eat pretty “girly” food for the most part. I’m just not going to whip up a big steak or burger for him…unless the burger is a lentil burger, ha. Sorry, honey!

Maris (in Good Taste) — June 18, 2011 at 12:29 pm

Hey manly food or not this all looks delicious to me! I am bookmarking this post full of amazing recipes!

cathy — June 18, 2011 at 2:11 pm

remember “real men don’t eat quiche?!” i think it was a 79s thing… :)
    men: pie; heavy red meats; beer
    women: veggies; cupcakes; lemonade
    those are examples of my stereotypes!
    “…before anyone gets their undies in a wad…” – - > a classic averie line! anything to be proactive against the complainers out there, eh! thanks for the laugh!

Stephanie — June 18, 2011 at 2:48 pm

My husband loves it when I make him tacos. It’s his favourite man food. And it doesn’t even bother him that I use TVP instead of beef…

Monika — June 18, 2011 at 3:44 pm

Your sweets are making me hungry.. stop it! ;)

The Delicate Place — June 18, 2011 at 4:55 pm

i am the queen of eating manly. often i get the ‘burly lumberjack’ special at eateries. nate will often order fish and i’ll get lamb or steak or bacon. eh it’s just that i tend to crave savory over sweet most times. chocolate however is a “girly” food that i happen to adore. this is my fave dark chocolate bar: http://www.finedarkchocolate.com/Chocolate/Valrhona/Valrhona_Le_Noir_Extra_Amer.asp it’s my desert island food haha! father’s day, i’m meeting mine for brunch and i made him a box of his fave chocolates and salt water taffy :)

Sam@I Tell Stories — June 19, 2011 at 4:47 pm

Your recipes are the only ones from online my husband will eat. So I don’t think there’s manly or girly food. Just good food :)

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — June 22, 2011 at 4:44 pm