On A Stick!

I was so excited to open the mail and find Matt Armendariz of Matt Bites new cookbook, On a Stick, waiting for me!

When I did my Real Food Styling & Photography Workshop with Matt and his husband, Adam, a few months back I saw the advance copy of it in their studio.

I even saw some of the dishes in their studio that appear in various shots in the book.

Everything in the book is On a Stick.  Hence the title.

Some more “common” foods are featured on a stick like tofu on a stick, caprese salad on a stick, and popcorn balls on a stick.

Caramel popcorn balls?  Yes please! And I should try one of my tofu recipes on a stick.

The book also suggests foods you may never have thought to put on a stick like Fish Balls.

Or Pizza Skewers

How creative and fun!

And then there are recipes and ingredients that are new-to-me such as Dak Sanjuk.

And then there are some more interesting combos like Spam & Pineapple Skewers.

I’ve never had Spam other than the computer kindBut I’ve got that all fixed now.  Whew.

I can’t wait to make something from this awesome book.   Like maybe Cake Pops!

The photography is, of course, stellar and top shelf and makes me not only want to make food on a stick, but take more beautiful food pictures, too.

Matt is an amazing human being.  I said this in my recap of the food styling and photography workshop post, but he is just phenomenal.  He is kind, funny, gracious, patient, always smiling, easy going, and has a great sense of humor.

And obviously is a brilliant photographer, cook, and now author.

The day I spent with him and Adam changed the course of my life.  Not being melodramatic, but it really did.

I came away with Career Fantasties & Inspiration and know that photography will be a part of my future.  As will food and writing.  Not sure how things will fall into place with these career goals and dreams, but they will and I owe Matt and Adam for opening my eyes and getting my wheels turning.  And now I owe Matt for this awesome new book of his, On a Stick!

From my last post, Snack Boxes, I’m glad you enjoyed my snack food reviews and it was fun to hear what you’ve been snacking on lately, especially now that it’s summertime!

1. What’s your favorite food to eat on a stick?

I admit, it’s been years since I’ve eaten much of anything on a stick except for Tootsie Pop suckers or Blow-Pop suckers.   I love to suck on some yummy HFCS and Red Dye #40, clearly.

But as a kid I used to eat Orange-Sherbet Popsicle-brand “Push-Ups” on a stick

Cotton candy at fairs and festivals on a stick

I was never much of a corndog eater

But I was a Girl Scout and roasting marshmallows on a stick and making smores are fun memories.

Did I mention my love of marshmallows?  I think all those campfires and marshmallows on a stick helped shape my love of marshmallow desserts!

Like Rice Krispie Treats with Vegan Chocolate Frosting (Vegan, GF)

or

GF Peanut Butter Marshmallow Bars with Vegan Chocolate Frosting

Please excuse the photography. The recipes still work taste great even if the pictures need massive help.

2. Any favorite cookbooks in your arsenal or any you’d like to have?  Or any great book finds lately or books you’d like to have?

I recently reviewed Heidi Swanson of 101 Cookbooks new book in this post.

Amazing recipes and photography in that book!

And I’d like to get my hands on Helene Dujardin of Tartlette’s new book, From Plate to Pixel

I have a compilation post of 25+ cookbook reviews if you’re interested in my thoughts and take-away message on various cookbooks, that’s the post for you.  I’m adding this cookbook to the review post, too.

Have a great day!

56 Responses to “On A Stick!”

WIERDGREENMAN — June 7, 2011 at 11:21 am

Have fun with your cookbooks!

WIERDGREENMAN — June 7, 2011 at 11:23 am

Pizza on a stick seems interesting. Maybe a pizza/corndog creation? I like hawthorn berries on a stick.

O.C. — June 7, 2011 at 11:39 am

Vegan Yum Yum is a pretty great cook book! Getting some new cook books is one thing one my summer to do list so I’ll have to read your reviews and decide which ones to try!
    For foods on a stick I like popsicles, Coconut Bliss ice cream bars, organic lollipops and I sometimes make my own vegan gf cake pops! Mostly because they are cute and I have funn decorating them wiff sprinkles :)

Jenn L @ Peas and Crayons — June 7, 2011 at 11:48 am

I’ve got to get to the bookstore =) This looks like a fun cookbook to have around — esp since when people come over they always beeline for my cookbooks and such <3 I guess i'm a boring hostess? haha or they know they're good reads/eats!

We'll have to write our own someday ;)

Naomi — June 7, 2011 at 11:49 am

omg that looks so fun!!! pizza on a stick?!?! thats awesome! at my cousins wedding in costa rica they didnt have a sit down meal, instead everything was passed around and everything was finger free! it was either on sticks or in little shot glasses so we didnt need any silverware! i loved the idea of it! I would love to have that stick cookbook I think!!!

Jennifer@ knackfornutrition — June 7, 2011 at 11:51 am

Spam on a stick!? Hahahaha I just had a good laugh reading that.

Kelly — June 7, 2011 at 12:00 pm

oh…that looks perfect!! I have been wanting to make cake pops for awhile now. They intrigue me and I know I will love them.

Beth — June 7, 2011 at 12:12 pm

Cake pops seem to be everywhere these days. Although Fish Balls and Pizza Skewers I never would have thought of. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Favourite food on a stick: Chicken / pork souvlaki, or roasted veg. It used to be corn dogs / pogos, cotton candy, popsicles, and suckers. Oh how times have changed ;)

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} — June 7, 2011 at 12:13 pm

Veggie skewers are probably my favorite on a stick food. But fudgecicles aren’t too bad, either! :-)

I’d like to have all the books you featured today! I love new cookbooks and the photography book looks like something I could really use.

Amanda- The Nutritionist Reviews — June 7, 2011 at 12:18 pm

Looks like a really fun book! I love all of your cookbook reviews : )

The Teenage Taste — June 7, 2011 at 12:24 pm

Thanks for sharing some of the tips that you got from the food photography workshop. As a food-blogger, I find them very helpful!
    As for my favorite food on a stick…probably cake pops…or lollipops…or maybe kabobs?! I can’t decide! Haha!
    Have a great day, Averie!

char @ char on a mission — June 7, 2011 at 12:37 pm

I like coconut milk ice-cream bars on a stick :D

Holly @ The Runny Egg — June 7, 2011 at 12:44 pm

This looks like such a cool book! And those pictures are so beautiful! Wow. The food on a stick I’m used to seeing is super greasy MN State Fair food!

I love corndogs though!

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen — June 7, 2011 at 12:45 pm

I’ve been wanting Heidi’s book since before it came out recently. That one’s definitely on my list, everything I’ve made from her site turns out amazing.
    I recently tried one of Starbuck’s cake pops on a stick and I know it’s not the best ingredient list, but it was yummy!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) — June 7, 2011 at 12:48 pm

Hey lady, long time no talk! What a fun book! I’d say caramel apples are tops of my on a stick list! I hope you’re having a great week!

Jess — June 7, 2011 at 12:58 pm

I would definitely say.. chicken on a stick! I ate it while in Uganda. SO good :D

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn — June 7, 2011 at 1:07 pm

Wait that is so cute…EVERYTHING tastes better on a stick!!

Matt — June 7, 2011 at 1:07 pm

Love all the pics you included. My wife has been on a big cake-pop making kick lately. While not the healthiest dish you mentioned, they are delish! :)

Jess@HealthyExposures — June 7, 2011 at 1:09 pm

The new book looks awesome! I love cookbooks that are bit more “out there,” like this one. I mean, there are recipes for everything nowadays…but I can’t say I stumble upon pizza skewers on a stick all too often. And yes, the photography looks phenomenal!
    I’d love to get Super Natural Everyday. Hmm…it’s been a while since I bought a new cookbook…it might be time!

Katie — June 7, 2011 at 1:15 pm

I got that cookbook too. There are so many things I want to make! I am a big on a stick person. I used to love cotton candy, and popsicles (still do), and push-ups. Flinstones, obviously. Now I love kebabs and am, in fact, eating them tonight for dinner.

I had to pack the cookbook, but am planning on reviewing it in a coupld weeks after I get my stuff again.

Christina — June 7, 2011 at 1:21 pm

I just got the Plate to Pixel book and I love it!! I’m just in the beginning of the book but it really is a good book to learn the basics. I’m SO not good with gadgets so for me it’s a good start :)

Jennifer — June 7, 2011 at 1:30 pm

I made cake balls the other day and have never seen people gravel over a dessert this badly…such a hit and definite recommendation!

Colleen — June 7, 2011 at 2:01 pm

My suggestion combines food on a stick and cookbooks: I just received Cake Pops by Angie Dudley (Bakerella!) as a gift and I love it. The photography is gorgeous and I can’t wait to bake some pops!

allison — June 7, 2011 at 2:10 pm

Food on a stick!!! me gusta mucho:):):):) As awesome as cake pops are, i love grilling out in the summer and food on skewers are seriously so much cooler the food not on a skewer;)

I love looking at food photography and styling books but they just make me sad that i dont have a dslr. The only time i can read them is during the school year when i can borrow the fancy cameras from the photography department and try out new stuff and play with the settings:)

cathy — June 7, 2011 at 2:22 pm

what a totally unique concept! definitely a great book to add to a cookbook library. and i love that you have a personal connection to matt, too.
    i’d have to say i like ice cream bars on a stick the best – vanilla ice cream with the hard choco outside.
    i know you don’t watch movies, but this post reminds me of the cher movie “mermaids” where she uses cookie cutters on everything: sandwiches, hors d’oeuvres etc…another example of theme *cooking!*

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — June 7th, 2011 at 2:24 pm

from your last few comments…backing up your machine, good!

from my greek fest post this weekend and when you told me that you’ve been reading a year and all my linkbacks to my old posts from around a year ago, my show, the move, etc…wow…time flies, huh!

Alex@Spoonful of Sugar Free — June 7, 2011 at 2:29 pm

Everything tastes better on a stick- HELLO!!

I would love to see how he puts a salad on a stick!

Tori (Fresh Fruition) — June 7, 2011 at 2:56 pm

Cake pops are so gorgeous. I need to make some stat! And I love photography so much. Maybe someday I can take my love of food and become a food photographer on the side!

kris (everyday oats) — June 7, 2011 at 3:08 pm

What a cute cookbook! The pizza skewers are so fun and creative. I’d love to be eating that at a party.
    My favorite food to eat on a stick, or rather used to always eat on a stick, is hagen daz chocolate dipped ice cream bars. Those things are heaven.

Tracy @ Commit to Fit — June 7, 2011 at 3:12 pm

I have always wanted to make cake pops. I think I may give them a try next week :)

Christine (The Raw Project) — June 7, 2011 at 3:26 pm

Looks like a great book, wonderful pics. Would be all over popcorn on a stick too!

1. Probably mango on a stick, my favorite fair food now.
    2. Still all the Ani books I have, I find I use those the most too.

Paige @ Running Around Normal — June 7, 2011 at 3:32 pm

What a cute cookbook! One of my clients recently made the cake pops like the ones Starbucks sells :)

melissa @ the delicate place — June 7, 2011 at 3:43 pm

i personally believe any food on a stick makes it ultimately better haha. i’m a fan of meat on a stick in the summer ala kebabs x

Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) — June 7, 2011 at 3:58 pm

Nothing beats grabbing a small branch and toasting marshmallows in a fire… “on a stick” the outdoors way!

Emily — June 7, 2011 at 3:59 pm

Favorite food on a stick? Hmm, probably the same as my favorite warm weather food: Edy’s pineapple fruit popsicles!

Baking 'n' Books — June 7, 2011 at 5:30 pm

Is the book mostly photography then versus a cookbook?

Love the watermelon shot.

Amanda Jewell — June 7, 2011 at 5:32 pm

What a fantastic, creative idea! Food on sticks > Food on a plate
    I think I’m going to have to side with you. Marshmellows on stick over a fire = a staple in every San Diegans diet :-)

Red Deception — June 7, 2011 at 5:46 pm

What a cute idea! Food on a stick, I love it! It makes me want to eat a fruit kebab.

Ari@ThE DiVa DiSh — June 7, 2011 at 6:25 pm

Seriously such an amazing book! And what a great IDEA!!!
    I am so glad you got that opportunity with them. Experiences like that shape our future and our lives forever!

Pure2raw Twins — June 7, 2011 at 6:31 pm

i want those books!! so many great food photographers out there, love it

lynn @ the actor's diet — June 7, 2011 at 6:47 pm

i recently had a corn dog. i am still thinking about it!

Bakerbynature — June 7, 2011 at 6:59 pm

Food on sticks is always a hit; I look forward to using this book for all my summer entertaining.

Allie — June 7, 2011 at 9:06 pm

This looks like a great book! Everything is much more fun to eat on a stick! The photography looks gorgeous and they really do have some interesting combinations. It’s nice to see that it’s more than just corndogs and kabobs. The cake pops especially look deliciously pretty!

Kristina @ spabettie — June 7, 2011 at 11:03 pm

I can’t wait to see what you make from the book! :)

brandi — June 8, 2011 at 5:40 am

i love all those cookbooks!

Amber K — June 8, 2011 at 9:17 am

I was totally a tootsie roll and “push-up” girl, too! Lovely chemicals for this girl. Roasting marshmallows for s’mores was the best. Now, I can’t think of anything I eat that’s on a stick.

Finding a cookbook I like is tough. I need vegetarian, gluten-free, and quick and easy recipes. That also don’t contain mushrooms, almonds or xanthan gum. I’m much too picky for cookbooks!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — June 11, 2011 at 9:37 am

My favourite foods to eat on a stick are corn dogs (LOL), and cake pops. I made cake pops for my sister’s shower and am so excited for all her friends and future in-laws to try them – they are ridiculously good!