Powder

As I mentioned in my last post, I received a lot of mail and packages in the almost 3 weeks we were away in Aruba.

Including many magazines and catalogs.  Here are just a few.

I actually don’t subscribe to any of these.  They seriously just show up.  Not kidding. Parenting magazines are notorious for this.  You get pregnant and you get put on magazine lists, forever.  At least for me that’s how it was.

I know I’ve turned into a photography geek when I’d rather look at my (first) B & H Photo Video catalog with all things camera stuff than VS stuff.

Boy, how times have changed.  See, I can actually use the camera stuff.

The VS stuff?  Not so much.

I wear $16.99 Target sports bras and see my answer under U about my underwear if you care.  Not sure why you would care about underwear or why I even answered that question, but I did.

In the mail, I received a couple sample packets of Amazing Grass ORAC Green Superfood Powder in packets.

ORAC is the body’s ability to neutralize free radicals and one small packed of this product is a powerhouse of a free radical neutralizer.

So is a plant-based diet and eating the rainbow but sometimes some supplements or powders are like “insurance” if we’re not getting what is optimal via food sources.  I prefer food to supplements overall but it’s fun to try new things.

I’d like to try a packet of this in a Purple Rain Smoothie

Or maybe in a Peach Banana Colada Smoothie

I also received a large container of Tropical Traditions Powdered Dishwasher Detergent with enzymes.

I usually use whatever “pellets” or “gel-packs” are on sale from Target or the grocery store and haven’t used powder in ages in the dishwasher.

After one load of dishes, so far so good.   The Tropical Traditions powdered dish detergent worked beautifully.

I am also a big fan of TT’s Dish Liquid that I reviewed in this post.

The powdered dish detergent I just received is ultra-concentrated, contains no chlorine, phosphates, fillers or fragrances., and is therefore much more environmentally friendly than most mainstream dishwasher detergents.

Best of all, it worked. Nothing worse than having to re-run your dishwasher if your detergent doesn’t get the job done!

Speaking of chores, thank for sharing what Chores you can’t stand in my last post, Chores & Goodies.

And for letting me know if there’s any fun goodies you’ve gotten lately!

1. Best thing you’ve eaten or done so far this weekend?

Waking up and knowing I don’t have 5 loads of laundry to do before noon was a nice feeling.

And I’m about to go rock a good workout.  I can feel it.

2. Do you use powder dishwasher detergent or laundry detergent?

I tend to buy almost exclusively “pellets” or “gel packs” for the former, and 100% of the time I use liquid in my washing machine.

I know you can use powdered laundry detergents in front loaders if you dissolve it first in water and even though powder is much cheaper than liquid, that’s one of those cost-saving measures I just don’t take.

That goes true for all cleaning products for me and really, with all products, in general:  They can be organic, free from this, fortified with this or that, but they have to work, as previously discussed.

if the product doesn’t work or doesn’t live up to my expectations and I have to re-do chores for a second time around, I am not a happy camper but so far so good with the TT products.

3. Fave protein powder or supplement powder?

I am not a big protein powder girl, but I’d say my PP of choice is brown rice Chocolate Sun Warrior when I use it.

It’s great in my Overnight Chocolate Brownie Protein Oats with additional Tips Here

And Amazing Grass makes great “flavored” powders like Berry and Orange Dreamsicle, which are different than protein powders, of course, and seem more focused on other nutrients, vitamins, and minerals.

I’m about to go drink a vanilla iced coffee

And go outside and enjoy the San Diego pretty weather we’re having today with a run.

Have a great Saturday!

48 Responses to “Powder”

jane — June 4, 2011 at 12:53 pm

holy crapola! i just read the story of how you and scott met-holy crap!!! wow-you must have been a wild child!! rebelling from small town minnesota? lol-sounds like it to me!! it really is amazing that you guys are still together, good for you!! i wish you could show a picture of scott! and you always talk about how you make all the money in the family and work like a dog. i wish you could tell us more about that-for some reason it makes me feel like you are up to something wild and fishy…which i think is fantastic :-)

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — June 4th, 2011 at 1:00 pm

We both work and both work hard at our jobs but for privacy reasons and safety reasons, I have no plans to post detailed info about our jobs or pictures of Scott (for his job reasons) on the blog. Thanks for understanding!

• jane replied: — June 4th, 2011 at 1:23 pm

totally understand- i think with blogs we get to know so much about the blogger that we just want to know more (and everything!!!). at least i do. but you do need to keep some semblance of privacy. honestly though, LOVE the story of how you met. i was a WILD child as well-well, i am just almost 26 so i guess i am still young, but i started early…i have certainly calmed a lot down but, like you, glad i got to have some fun :-) do you ever write posts on what it was like to grow up in minnesota? i would love to hear about that!

cathy — June 4, 2011 at 1:00 pm

enjoy your run, averie!
    i like the myoplex brand of protein powder/meal replacement although i heard they went bankrupt and what i have (stashed) now is it…wah!
    and cleaning products: i just use tide scent-free…i do consider cost, and to go organic/all natural for all my cleaning needs is just not going to happen.
    you did get a lot of mail while you were away! always fun to get magazines and stuff to try…bills, not so much!

Lisa — June 4, 2011 at 1:02 pm

Interesting about the Trop Traditions—I always look at their stuff, but for the same reasons you stated, I do not order the “natural” cleaners. I’ve done it in the past with laundry detergent and my workout clothes did not get 100% stink-free…and I just can’t have that!

Best thing this weekend so far…yoga. Oh and I made those sfsb brownies yesterday! They were great. I’m going to post the recipe today or tomorrow, but it’s pretty much the same as before except with all SFSB plus cocoa powder (nix the dark choc AB). Chef Katelyn just posted a pic…

Have a fab rest-of-the-weekend!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — June 4th, 2011 at 1:06 pm

Yes it can be natural and eco friendly and all that but if it doesnt work, I dont want it…haha!

Good to know about the sfsb brownies. I am ALL over that and can’t wait for the post!!

Carrie (Moves 'N Munchies) — June 4, 2011 at 1:11 pm

trop traditions makes a dish detergent!?! ahah random!! so many powders in this post is right!! best thing I ate.. pb! best thing I did.. go out with mah friends!

Jess — June 4, 2011 at 1:11 pm

Best thing would definitely be the sweet potato I had today with my lunch–LOVE those orange things.

We use detergent :) in the liquid form!!

Get Skinny, Go Vegan. — June 4, 2011 at 1:12 pm

Yeah……I have been trying to just recycle the VS catalogs and not even look at them! Every I open them, I see something I need but really don’t need but REALLY need & then buy!
    I try to buy more eco friendly stuff but then those catalogs come everyday and catch you in moments of sheer, and truly sheer, weakness.

Stephanie — June 4, 2011 at 1:29 pm

I’m sucky if I get that much mail in 3 months!

emma — June 4, 2011 at 1:30 pm

Hey! LOVE packages!! Best thing I did – I got engaged!!!! :-) So excited! I’m loving the vanilla sun warrior at the moment – just bought my first bag :)

Erika @ Health and Happiness in LA — June 4, 2011 at 1:32 pm

I buy powder detergent because it is cheaper, and my mom always bought powder. But my dad buys liquid laundry detergent so when I would go to his house as a kid it felt like such a luxury!

Tanya @ Sunday Baker — June 4, 2011 at 1:52 pm

That’s funny about the mysterious magazine subscriptions you didn’t order. For the past 2 years I’ve been receiving all sorts of mags I never subscribed to like Woman’s Day and parenting magazines. I don’t mind one bit!

best thing I’ve eaten this weekend: garlic chicken (from a restaurant)

I tend to use whichever liquid detergent is on sale.

Kristina @ spabettie — June 4, 2011 at 1:55 pm

I LOVE coming home to all of my mail… after two weeks in Napa I had a post office box like that too, and my foodzie was waiting for me then too! :D I’m currently out of town again (work this time) and know I have packages awaiting…

I haven’t used powder in dish or clothes washer in a long time! we have the HE wash + dryer, and I use a liquid that goes with those, and for dishwashing I LOVE the gel packs. so easy.

I love protein powders (I have yet to try CHOCOLATE Sun Warrior, but I an not a fan of their vanilla – it tasted chemical-y to me) and I love amazing grass – my current favorites are their orange dreamsicle and their lemon lime – refreshing AND you’re getting your greens! I’m with you, though, I’d rather get most of my nutrients through food, and those are extra “snacks”.

Happy Saturday, Averie!

Ragnhild — June 4, 2011 at 2:33 pm

O, I lovelovelove the VS models! And their underwear, my favorit store when I go to the US!

Best thing Ive eaten this weekend.. hm, must be the grain salad I made today. Bulgur wheat, grilled artichokes, cherry tomatoes, avocado and lots of fresh basil! I love these kind of meals!
    And best thing I Did, was going to the park tonight with two friends I havent seen in a long while! We had white wine and strawberries, and just enjoyed the BEAUTIFUL weather we have now:)

Im not big on Protein Powder, really dont feel like I need them..

Anna — June 4, 2011 at 2:40 pm

JUST got Sun Warrior today. Doesn’t even taste powdery!!

lynn @ the actor's diet — June 4, 2011 at 3:45 pm

i used to love mail as a kid but when you get back from being away, it is a PAIN!!!

Heather @ Get Healthy With Heather — June 4, 2011 at 4:38 pm

It’s always so much fun when packages arrive, but girl you get so much! Still fun I bet :)

Krystina (Organically Me) — June 4, 2011 at 5:24 pm

I really dig Trader Joe’s vanilla hemp protein. For some reason I love the grassiness of hemp protein.

WIERDGREENMAN — June 4, 2011 at 5:26 pm

I LOVE Amazing Grass! Great with non-dairy milk.

kris (everyday oats) — June 4, 2011 at 6:02 pm

My favorite protein powder is definitely True Vitality in Chocolate. Soo good!
    I usually use those gel packs for detergent. Mainly for the convenience.

Leslie — June 4, 2011 at 6:48 pm

You’re amazing me with your energy, girl and all you got accomplished right after you got home from your trip! Sheesh…makes me tired just thinking about it. I know how it is though to get unpacked and feel “settled” after a long trip. I’m the same way…

As for detergents–for the laundry I actually make my own out of a Ivory bar or Bronners bar, washing soda, and borax. It works pretty well! The clothes come out clean, and smell good–no scent. I tried to make a similar product for the dishwasher, but sadly, it didn’t work, so back to my original product. I use some stuff labeled “eco” (who knows..?) and it’s a liquid. It is cheap, and works. The end. :D

Ellie@fitforthesoul — June 4, 2011 at 7:04 pm

It must feel so good having a surprise like that in the mail! so far I’ve liked GNC’s wheybolic the most. But, I’ve yet to try sunwarrior!

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit — June 4, 2011 at 7:44 pm

My goodness, you got so many amazing things! I really need to try that amazing grass stuff.
    We use powdered dish and laundry soap and love it! We buy it at the local market for a really good price and it’s all organic. Great stuff!

Brooke — June 4, 2011 at 7:44 pm

I just got home from vacation and all I got in the mail were bills!

Thanks for your comment on my blog, it meant a lot.

And to answer the question about favorite things I’ve eaten so far…it would have to be an avocado salad…so darn yummy!

Brooke Annessa

sophia — June 4, 2011 at 7:53 pm

I’m eating home-made bruschetta right now that is certinaly one of my favorite things of this week! Oh and fresh-popped kettlecorn from farmers market.

I use liquid detergent, but I’m planning to switch to natural detergents, the one you make yourself wit baking soda and etc.

Cait's a Runnerchick — June 4, 2011 at 9:09 pm

it’s crazy some of the random mail that gets sent out there! i’ve gotten magazines for geriatrics, huggies coupons (i have no kids) and the mailing list that i really question is one for cigarettes…umm, never smoked a day in my life!
    that said, i’m not one to turn down freebies, so thanks for sharing about the powders and other goodies you got. as for laundry/dishwasher i’m a liquids girl and for supplements i don’t really use them. i have in the past done protein powders but i prefer to eat my nutrients. but maybe i’ll check out that Sun Warrior, and I’m seeing LOTS about chia seeds have you used them? (i’m really sorry if i’m a total idiot and you’ve just posted a recipe using them, i don’t think i’ve seen them but you very well may have talked about them…lol!)
    hope you’re having a great weekend, had a great workout! i finished a long run earlier and i always feel great after those. :)

Katie — June 5, 2011 at 8:01 am

I don’t have a dishwasher, but I’d LOVE one. And I don’t do the protein/supplement powders ever anymore. I think I get plenty of nutrients from my daily giant salads, so I’m not too worried.

I went to Arches National Park which was amazing, but dinner in Denver with a great friend that I haven’t seen in five years was the highlight for sure! The food sucked and the service was awful, but the sangria was delicious and the conversation was perfect. It was a great day, and now we are heading out to cover Nebraska and Iowa….today will not be as cool. ;)

katie @ KatieDid — June 5, 2011 at 8:12 am

its all hand washing dishes for this chick! I really can’t wait to one day have a dishwasher, because its truly one chore I could do without. But liquid detergent, although I really want to try making my own powdered detergent soon! Yum to the coconut!!! I can’t imagine not having a taste for it, like you. Have a great day!

Amber K — June 5, 2011 at 8:37 am

I have never bought anything other than powder for the dishwasher. But I agree, whatever it is, it has to work!

I like the concept of Amazing Grass, but wish the taste was easier to disguise! I mix it with fruit, and yet that grassy taste still comes through. Finding a protein powder that’s gluten-free, tastes good, and also doesn’t have xanthan gum is a pain.

eva @5FruitsNVeggies — June 5, 2011 at 8:50 am

i am like you–prefer to get my nutrition from food….ps i felt like having peanut butter cookies, and made peanut butter dough balls from your basic cookie dough recipe….but i used whole peanuts NOT peanut butter….they are so good…next i am making cookie dough balls from molasses to try to make ginger bread style dough balls

Christine (The Raw Project) — June 5, 2011 at 1:18 pm

So true on times changing, I spend a lot more on food and geek toys than fashion.

I’ve been curious to try AmazingGrass, but I’m kind of hooked on Vitamineral Green currently. It’s not cheap, but has tons of raw, powdered veggies.

1. The food fest yesterday and seeing one of my favorite raw chefs in action, meeting her, and getting pictures.
    2. Yes and I’m going through plenty of it today! I haven’t tried a lot of natural alternatives yet, but and open to try more.
    3. Vanilla pea protein, Vitamineral Green, and hemp protein powder for being full of fiber and protein while being versatile in sweet and savory recipes.

Beth — June 6, 2011 at 8:23 am

Mind boggling that magazines just show up when you don’t sign up for them.
    Any TT product that I have tried has been great. Haven’t tried their dish line yet though. Glad to hear it works well.

We use Seventh Generation Dishwasher powder, and either Soap Nuts or Seventh Generation liquid Laundry Soap for the wash. The Soap Nuts are for our clothes. The 7th Gen is for the bedding and paintball uniforms that we rent out.

Alisa Fleming — June 6, 2011 at 10:34 am

So good to know about that detergent. I either use gel packs (if on clearance) or powder. I read never to use the liquid detergents so I do stick with the powder, which works. I would really like to try soap nuts – haven’t used those yet.

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — June 6, 2011 at 8:56 pm

We use the little compact dishwasher tabs, but powder laundry detergent.

Amykinz (Foodie4Healing) — June 8, 2011 at 6:40 pm

I love your TMI, Averie! ;)

And I agree w/you – food over supplements! But, yes, sometimes we can’t eat ideally, so a greens mix works for those days!

Can’t wait to try your Purple Rain Smoothie! If for nothing else, for the name! Prince’s Purple Rain is my all-time favorite song!

My favorite protein powder, hands down, is Premier Research Labs’ Lean Body Whey Protein. I found it the cheapest here: http://bit.ly/me7zzD.

cedric rice — June 10, 2011 at 8:51 pm

Many people have began to experiment with mixing scented oils to produce a unique fragrance which no one else has. Many of my customers have done so and this seems to be developing into a new trend. Some will use base oil fragrances and mix them with colognes for a unique effect. Others will mix them with unscented lotions and other products. This generally works very well and has allowed many customers to make a signature fragrance which defines them to the world.