Quickly, Grateful

It’s been a really busy day but want to take a deep breath and (quickly) share a few things I’m grateful for today. When life gets crazy, it’s always good to focus on our blessings, right?  That’s what I tell myself at least.

I am grateful for things like San Diego sunshine, palm trees, and abundant flowers.

I’m grateful for my Enjoy Shampoo

Dear God, my hair was greasy and needed a wash. But natural oils are good for it, right?  <– That’s what I keep telling myself plus think of all that time I saved!  And, that’s what pony tails are for on days 2, 3, and ahem day 4, right?  Finally, clean hair today!  You can take me out in public again.

Skylar’s still sporting her braids and loving them!

They’re holding up wonderfully; much to my (pleasant) surprise!

I’m grateful for fresh grapes

Freeze them, then eat them, is my preferred method.

And I’m grateful for microwave snacks that combine chocolate and peanut butter.

Microwave Chocolate Peanut Butter & Oat Snack Bars

These saved me today.  In 3 minutes flat.  Love the quick fixes.

Thanks for your comments on my previous post with the On A Stick! cookbook review.  I adore Matt and love food on a stick.  Sounds like most of you love food-on-a-stick, too.  It’s just more fun!

1. What are you grateful for today?

2. Any quick fixes that have helped you out today or recently?

P.S. I’m grateful for everyone who’s excited about entering my Coconut Oil Giveaway

52 Responses to “Quickly, Grateful”

Holly @ The Runny Egg — June 7, 2011 at 8:14 pm

You have such a great attitude Averie!

Today (in this 100 degree weather) I am grateful for Air Conditioning!!!

VeggieGirl — June 7, 2011 at 8:16 pm

LOVE THIS! I’m grateful for the time I spend with my loved ones, each and every day.

Lisa @ I'm an Okie — June 7, 2011 at 8:19 pm

absolutely beautiful picture of skylar!

Red Deception — June 7, 2011 at 8:27 pm

This is such a positive message – I really appreciate hearing it.

I am grateful that I am in remission, because I am able to appreciate my body and mind in a way I never imagined could occur. I am happy :)

Ari@ThE DiVa DiSh — June 7, 2011 at 8:29 pm

Beautiful! It is always a good thing to express what we are grateful for!
    I am mostly grateful for my family :) Because without them everything else doesn’t matter

Katie — June 7, 2011 at 8:43 pm

I’m grateful that my dad is helping me car shop. I am 32 and still need my daddy.

Allie — June 7, 2011 at 9:15 pm

Those frozen fresh grapes sound delicious! I’m grateful for summer season, having the beach nearby, and family and friends to spend time with.

Kristen @ The Red Velvet Life — June 7, 2011 at 9:46 pm

SO much to be thankful for, Averie! :) Love that beautiful photo of Skylar, and San Diego looks gorgeous! I’m thankful for getting back home from Vegas safe and sound with my sweet husband!

mi-an — June 7, 2011 at 10:37 pm

It’s been gloomy up here in the bay the past few days (actually all of last week) so I’m very grateful for the sun coming out today!!! I just saw your On a stick post, and i def wanna get that book!! i wanna start cake pops … healthy kinds though. haha

Sarah — June 8, 2011 at 1:05 am

Hi lovely Averie! I am grateful for being able to exercise, chocolate, coffee, and my computer :)

cathy — June 8, 2011 at 3:41 am

i’m grateful for dear friends and hot n sunny (almost-aruba) weather (now if it would only be year-round!)
    i keep a daily gratitude journal – really helps to keep me grounded and see that each day has a minimum of one good thing that happens – most of the time, more!
    hope you have a good day today, averie!

Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes — June 8, 2011 at 3:43 am

Today I’m grateful that my boyfriend passed his med school exams. I’m so very proud of him! :D

Lauren — June 8, 2011 at 4:04 am

I am so grateful for the wonderful friends I have on the blog sphere. (Including you my love). After becoming a little discouraged by some negative comments, the people who actually care and love me always prove to be the ones that actually matter. :) <3 you girl!

Abby — June 8, 2011 at 4:41 am

I’m grateful that even though it’s 94 degrees today (I don’t have air), it’s supposed to be 75 degrees tomorrow :)
    But on a serious note, I’m grateful that was able to enjoy the sunrise driving to work this morning, share my thoughts and rambles in a blog that has introduced me to so many wonderful people and of course, Sunbutter and banana sandwiches on toasted Ezekiel bread. Always.

Kashif — June 8, 2011 at 4:43 am

I’m grateful my wife is feeling better after a tough 10 day long cleanse. Beautiful pictures, thanks for the inspiration!

Amanda- The Nutritionist Reviews — June 8, 2011 at 4:44 am

I am very grateful for fresh grapes too! I just bought the crispiest ones ever. I am also thankful for all summer fruits, especially peaches and apricots.

Erica — June 8, 2011 at 4:51 am

I think its SO important to take time to remember the WONDERFUL things in life (especially when you’re super stressed/busy). Great list. Mmmm green grapes! And warm & beautiful weather! I got that same cook book to review, but have not gotten around to making anything from the book yet (bad me!). I need to get on that. So many cute recipes.

1. What are you grateful for today? My health (!!), my wonderful, supportive husband, still being able to workout on the regular without any pain or issues, spring/summer fruit, my family & friends

2. Any quick fixes that have helped you out today or recently?QUICK dinners. Couldn’t be without them

Heather (Where's the Beach) — June 8, 2011 at 5:19 am

It’s soooo important to find those things to be grateful for no matter how small they may seem.

Beth — June 8, 2011 at 5:46 am

Remembering what we are grateful for is so important. Especially on rushed / hectic days.

I’m grateful for my healthy, my husband, my family, sunshine and warm weather, the park & canal that is a 5 minute walk from my office, the local wildlife (yes, even the skunks), and the fact that I have a roof over my head and food on my plate.

Also grateful for wonderful blogs like yours Averie!

Jordan @ foods sweat and beers — June 8, 2011 at 5:58 am

I’d have to say I’m very grateful today for my best friend who just finished the last of her SEVENTY ONE Doctors appointments following her diagnosis of breast cancer over a year ago. She’s my inspiration!!

As for quick fixes…. The other day at work I needed an ice compress for my ankle, and, being away from my ice packs at home, McGiver’d one out of frozen peas, a dish cloth, and a headband.

Michelle @ From Seed To Tree — June 8, 2011 at 6:27 am

Gratitude. Very important – love it!

I am grateful for the gorgeous lightning show last night – it was a beaut!

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen — June 8, 2011 at 6:33 am

I haven’t had a frozen grape since I was kid. Completely forgot about them! Now I want one immediately.
    Today I’m grateful for wi-fi on planes!

Kaitlyn — June 8, 2011 at 6:42 am

Don’t worry about the lack of hair washing…I get made fun of by my friends and boyfriend for being a hippie because I don’t feel the need to shower daily (not that I don’t like being clean, I do!). I’m grateful for the beautiful weather here, for my health and happiness!

rawkinmom — June 8, 2011 at 6:57 am

I am grateful for the beautiful sunshine even though it is going to be close to 100 today and I have no air conditioning!!!! I am also grateful for my kids!!! :)

Candi — June 8, 2011 at 6:57 am

I have been reading for awhile now, and just wanted to share. I made your banana bread and banana oat cakes this morning and both were awesome! I have a huge fan of your protein bars for quite some time.

I woke up this morning thinking of things I am thankful for. My husband, kids, being home with them, homeschooling them, our health, healthy food, my awesome workouts, & really my list could go on. Hope things get less crazy for you today! I had one of those days yesterday & it might happen again today. Have a great day!

Candi — June 8, 2011 at 6:58 am

I have been reading for awhile now, and just wanted to share. I made your banana bread and banana oat cakes this morning and both were awesome! I have been a huge fan of your protein bars for quite some time.

O.C. — June 8, 2011 at 7:10 am

This was like the perfect post to readd first thing in the morning and put me in a really good, grateful mindset for the day :)
    I’m grateful for frozen fruit and smoothies because it is HOT outside right now!
    I’m grateful for my family and my dog and yoga and that I’m healthy enough to go out and do all the things I love!

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit — June 8, 2011 at 7:49 am

I love this! I often do it myself when things get crazy, or it seems like everything is falling apart on me. Things I’m grateful for today: waking up beside my hubby, my VO2 max – rocked my spin class this morning, and my dad (it’s his birthday today!)

Krista — June 8, 2011 at 8:26 am

We had some really severe thunderstorms in my area last night. Lots of downed trees, hydro poles and power outages due to wildly high winds, hail, lightening, etc.. I’m grateful that where I live tornados are VERY rare. All I kept thinking of through the night while the storm was raging was how scared people who go through/live thorugh tornados must be. :(

Kelsey @ Snacking Squirrel — June 8, 2011 at 8:54 am

i am grateful that there are actual places like San Diego that exist in the world so that I can one day get out of my Canadian Igloo and become a beach bum… one day, one day :)
    Btw… someone’s birthday is coming up soon… YOU! right? hehe
    Today I am grateful that I have found a great path (health-wise) and I seem to have all my ‘ducks in a line’ with school and work and friends and, well, life!
    Hmmm quick fixes- what comes to mind….. hmm.. oh probably my coconut oil right now because I ran out of my natural sunscreen… coconut oil to the rescue!!

XOXO <3

Amber K — June 8, 2011 at 9:19 am

I am grateful for the health that I do have, despite the side effects from the medication I’m on. Things could definitely be worse, so I’ll be grateful for what I have!

Frozen grapes are the best. Yum!

Jen — June 8, 2011 at 9:19 am

So many things to be thankful for! Post input – curious on how you cut your watermellon? I always ball it but I like your wedges….wondering if you can do a tutorial on how you cut yours up?

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — June 8th, 2011 at 12:17 pm

I peel it with my knife on my cutting board, then slice it in longer strips once it’s “bald” and peeled. Just strips or chunks rather than balls. Maybe one day I can do a tutorial.

Ragnhild — June 8, 2011 at 9:23 am

Lovely post Averie! it feels good to stop up, and just feel the happines over the smallest things.
    Today Im happy that I have been listening to my body, and it asked only for healthy foods. I should try to trust it more- at least Im on my way.
    Im grateful that my legs can run, and for my health!
    Im grateful that I have amazing friends- one of them Im meeting in an hour for wine and talk.
    Im grateful for my family!
    And Im grateful I have a job that I love, and that I look forward to a new workday tomorrow!

Wish you a great day <3

kris (everyday oats) — June 8, 2011 at 9:37 am

Lovely post! I’m thankful for SO many things, but today in particular, I’m thankful I finally got in a good workout.

char @ char on a mission — June 8, 2011 at 9:39 am

I am SO grateful for my amazing husband, who despite having a really bad day at work, comes home and is in an amazing mood for me. Yet, he says he’s lucky to have me – I think he has it backwards. What saved me today was an iced coffee…first time making it and I tell ya, it won’t be the last!

Tori (Fresh Fruition) — June 8, 2011 at 9:49 am

I’m so grateful for my family lately. I’m loving all of the time I’m spending with them this summer! And quick fixes? Hm. I’d have to say opening a bottled iced tea instead of brewing my own for a quick fix of my favorite summer drink :)

Liz — June 8, 2011 at 12:52 pm

I am grateful for the hot weather here in NH! Pineapples, all the DIY blogs that have inspired me to get creative with my home decor, and the ability to make something for someone I love who is celebrating their birthday this weekend!

Thanks for this post…. it puts things into perspective after a busy few weeks.

Erica H. — June 8, 2011 at 1:33 pm

This is my way of de-lurking!! I have to say that I love, love, love your banana oat cakes. I have them for breakfast almost every morning. Tastes great and saves a ton of time. Which I’m also grateful for since I have a very active 14 month old son. He will even eat some of the oat cakes.

Thanks Averie for all the time you put into your blog. Time is precious when you are a mom!!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — June 8th, 2011 at 1:48 pm

thanks for delurking erica and telling me what you made and thank you for the last sentences. I really appreciate it that as a mom you DO KNOW all the hats we have to juggle :)

Katelyn (new kid on the vegan block) — June 8, 2011 at 2:12 pm

I just wrote about freezing grapes as a sweet loop-hole during this sugar-free challenge I’m doing! They are soooo good. A few years ago one of my best friends told me about a grateful list she writes everyday with 5 items from that day – I tried to keep it up like she does, but usually only find myself doing it on an especially tough day to remind me of the little things that I’m grateful for. Sometimes I only make it to 3, but it still puts things in perspective!

Christine (The Raw Project) — June 8, 2011 at 4:17 pm

I’m grateful that our weather finally looks like yours and is actually warmer! Mmmm, I also adore frozen grapes in wine.

1. Nice weather and that I’m taking Friday off for a day to myself.
    2. Fast and simple meals.

Baking 'n' Books — June 8, 2011 at 5:43 pm

I was going to post something similar about this after reading something today. About when life gets hectic and crazy (and you feel like your going to explode, cry and quit your job…um, me) – to just step back and write down a list of things your grateful. Save it and pull it out when you need reminders.

EVEN the BAD stuff – find something, something good in it. So, in my case – my job – anyone who knows about me knows that – so, it’s really hard to find the positive. BUT I can think that at least it’s paying my bills right?…for now – oye! ;)

GREAT things you have on that list.

Kelsey @ Snacking Squirrel — June 9, 2011 at 8:32 am

ok tried to re send comment but it says “oops, duplicate comment, looks like you’ve already said that!” .. but why computer whyyy wont it show up!?! haha its a “ghost comment” … its not your blog its definitely my computer because its been doing that to other blogs too. i think my computer needs a good smack ;)

xo

Get Skinny, Go Vegan. — June 9, 2011 at 10:45 am

funny. yeah. i have to “tell myself” too, not always believing it but there is something to just saying & pretending to think it that at least a little bit of the gratefulness will bleed into the consciousness!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — June 11, 2011 at 9:51 am

I am grateful for a helpful loving husband. My hubby did most of the decorating for my sister’s shower (with minimal direction) and held cake pops while they dripped, cleaned the house, and went to “Michael’s” for about an hour with me last night :-)