Red, White, & Blue Food

The 4th of July is right around the corner and it’s time to break out the Red, White, and Blue Food.

Here are some ideas for your 4th of July parties and festivities:

Red Food

Strawberries with Chocolate Coconut Cashew Butter

Raw Pasta & Raw Marinara Sauce

Vegan Sloppy “Bean & Lentil” Joes

Raw Taco Salad with Raw Taco Nut “Meat”

White Food

White Chocolate Blondies with Chocolate Peanut Butter Frosting

White Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups with Chocolate Peanut Butter Centers

No Bake White Chocolate & Mango Cookie Dough Bites

Fudgy Nutella Brownies with Cream Cheese Frosting <–the frosting is white and totally counts as white food

Blue Food

Purple Rain Smoothie

Ginger Roasted Tri-Color Potatoes

Vegan Gluten Free Blueberry Streusel Muffins

Microwave Blueberry Banana Oat Cakes

Last year I did a 4th of July Recipes post.  I can’t believe it’s been a year! Check out that post for more ideas.

I enjoyed hearing your answers to what you’re On Board With from my last post.

And thanks for sharing your computer and technology tips.  It’s always nice to learn something new.

1. 4th of July plans?

I have no idea what we’re doing yet.  Being that it falls on a Monday, I am not sure what we will be doing over the weekend, if we’re seeing fireworks, what day, where.  Pretty much it’s going to be a wing it weekend.

I have to work all weekend, and Scott has to work some on Monday, too, for part of the day, but we’ll find time to just chill and get our firecracker on.

2. Favorite foods to eat over the 4th or any summertime favorites or any Red, White, or Blue Food that you’ve been enjoying recently?

Red watermelon

White Nectarines

Blue Artichokes

How’s that for seasonal produce that’s color-coordinated for the 4th!

And here’s Red White and Blue Food all in one

Angel Food Cake & Berries

Mixed Berry Clafoutis

Sounds and looks fancy.  Takes 10 minutes to make.  And it’s sweet, creamy, and decadent.  Enjoy!

48 Responses to “Red, White, & Blue Food”

cathy — June 30, 2011 at 1:02 pm

yum! you could host one heckuva 4th of july (or canada day) party just with these recipes, averie! i love to colour co-ordinate foods to the occasion (all black and orange for hallowe’en is super fun!).
    i work all weekend, too – yes, even canada day (at time and a half it’s worth it). and sat & sun…but also have a bbq/fireworks-watching party tomorrow eve, so that will be fun!
    have a great weekend – hope you get lots of sunshine. we’re looking good weather-wise!

Heather (Where's the Beach) — June 30, 2011 at 1:04 pm

We’re having friends over for a pool party on Saturday. I guess my fave red white blue would have to be strawberries, bananas (inside is white so that counts) blueberries.

Lisa — June 30, 2011 at 1:09 pm

Happy 4th weekend! I’ll be working for part of it, and we’re going to just spend time outside together…doing a little bit of nothing!
    My most recent red food obsession is freeze dried beet slices. It sounds gross, but sooooo crunchy and w/ a touch of sea salt it has this really subtle salty-sweet thing going on. I’m trying to make my own in the dehydrator right now, but somehow I think the freeze dried are just better.

Jamie Walker — June 30, 2011 at 1:09 pm

I LOVE this – all of your photos are beautiul – and YUM!! My 4th of July plans are to do some trail running, canoeing, eating at delicious little restaurants and wineries and overall, just to spend some QT with my wonderful boyfriend…we’re headed up to the Russian River…and staying in a cute little B&B. SO. VERY. EXCITED! ;)

Susan — June 30, 2011 at 1:15 pm

OMG those treats!!!!!!! Now I must go get some chocolate ;)

Alex@Spoonful of Sugar Free — June 30, 2011 at 1:29 pm

We are havin’ a partay at my house!!! Food, swimming, ping pong, games, and, of course, FIREWORKS!!

I like to eat the regular “summer” stuff on the Fourth-watermelon, corn on the cob, BBQ, salads…..

Mary (What's Cookin' with Mary) — June 30, 2011 at 1:33 pm

My SIL’s wedding is Sat (in Palm Desert – yikes, just in time for the HEAT WAVE ugh 116* here we come :l) We’ll def be having a low key 4th since we’ll have had our fill of people and heat by Monday.

My favorite food to eat over the 4th’s gotta be watermelon… can’t get enough!

Naomi(onefitfoodie) — June 30, 2011 at 2:07 pm

blue artichokes?!?! so cool! I love hybrid fruit :) like purple cauliflower!

I just posted two super easy recipes fr the 4th and the pretzel sparklers look awesome !just pretzel rods dipped in chocolate and 4th of july sprinkes!

I will be on cape cod basking in the sun!

Jess — June 30, 2011 at 2:08 pm

I’ve been adoring blueberries <3 We're having a big party at my house. Woo!!

mi-an — June 30, 2011 at 2:11 pm

that coconut chocolate cashew butter is the best looking chocolate cashew butter i’ve ever seen! so smooth and creamy!! no definite plans this weekend yet…bbq and lots of boardgames probably!

Maris (In Good Taste) — June 30, 2011 at 2:16 pm

I always leave your blog starving! You post the most delicious foods!

Christine (The Raw Project) — June 30, 2011 at 2:23 pm

Great recipe inspiration for the 4th, thanks.

1. A pretty casual family gathering, nothing too exciting.
    2. Watermelon and corn scream the 4th for me.

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — June 30th, 2011 at 5:51 pm

oh and per your last comment, yes, freeze those hemp seed balls. make in batches, i.e. clean your food proc/vita only ONCE by making larger batches :)

Ela — June 30, 2011 at 2:24 pm

I love that it’s so easy to enjoy all the colors without having to get them out of bottles!

Been adoring watermelon lately, but Safeway just doubled its price–$15 each?!? (luckily, there are one or two other produce stores in town, and they are marginally less exorbitant). I’m feeling a little depressed about that.

I think we’re having a picnic (weather permitting) with friends and family this 4th–hope you have a great one!
    love
    Ela

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) — June 30, 2011 at 2:48 pm

Lake time my friend! I hope lots of it! Watermelon is my favorite for the 4th. Normally we are outside and it is the perfect hydration!

Mrs.B — June 30, 2011 at 3:09 pm

It all looks great!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — June 30, 2011 at 3:27 pm

I love a low-key fourth of July. The past two years, we’ve been on vacay with my family, which has been perfect :-) Hope y’all have a great one!

Kaitlyn@TheTieDyeFiles — June 30, 2011 at 3:46 pm

My plans for the weekend include FIREWORKS! (I love them), either a trip to the botanic garden or a trip to Six Flags/the beach, and lounging/cooking!!!

I’ve been LOVING strawberries lately. I can’t wait to see if they have any at the farmer’s market tomorrow!

Amanda Jewell — June 30, 2011 at 5:08 pm

My friend’s having a massive 4th of july party (mainly b/c she’s moving to NY in one month (sad face) and this is a “going away” party also). Since I’m one of the only veggies going, she requested some veggies! So I plant to bring a big fruit salad of strawberries, blueberries, watermelon, and white nectarines (red, white, and blue fruit!!) + either broiled asparagus or a huge plate of sweet potato fries (–> Haven’t decided yet)

Jess@HealthyExposures — June 30, 2011 at 5:23 pm

Thank you for the reminder that I still have so. many. of your recipes to try! Gahhh!
    We don’t usually do much for the fourth – no fireworks or anything. Never been a fan. On Monday I have a 5k to run but the day is free after that! Hopefully that will mean barn time and enjoying having a day off that I normally don’t.

Jordan @ food, sweat, and beers — June 30, 2011 at 5:56 pm

I know it’s a given, but strawberries, cool whip, and blueberries are a go-to for patriotic snacking for this broad!!

that being said, I loveeeee the purple p’tatoes, and would rather that being part of a patriotic party!

Juliette — June 30, 2011 at 6:20 pm

Hi, I am new to your blog and found it through meals & moves. From what I’ve read so far, I think your blog is FANTASTIC. Great fitness info, and what an amazing physique you have, not to mention all your amazing recipes. Your No-Bake Nutter Butter Bars with chocolate frosting is on my list of things to make for the weekend. Anyway, just wanted to say Hi and thanks for having an awesome blog. A new FAV!

1.) 4th of July plans – I will be in Huntington Beach, soaking in some sunshine & waves. Hooray!
    2.) Fav foods for the 4th – Right now I am really into all kinds of berries. Strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, you name it, I love it!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — June 30th, 2011 at 6:31 pm

Wow, thanks for finding me and for saying hi right away and with such an awesome comment!

If you like the nutter butter bars, also try the special k bars or the nobake nutella & PB graham bars. all in recipe tab under “Bars”

I live in San Diego! Just south of H.B. Have fun :)

Katie — June 30, 2011 at 6:34 pm

I’m going to my parents cabin for some relaxing and some water. I can’t wait!!

There will be lots of watermelon eaten. Count on it.

Jackie @ That Deep Breath — June 30, 2011 at 7:15 pm

This year is actually the first 4th of July I’ll actually have big plans! My friend & I are going on a roadtrip to Arizona (starting tomorrow night), then to San Diego on the 5th and Huntington Beach on the 7th! I’m so excited!!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — June 30th, 2011 at 7:21 pm

i just checked out your blog…a CA girl who does yoga. Me too :)

Have fun on your road trip! I’m in San Diego and I’m sure you’ll have a great time of it!

Natasha — June 30, 2011 at 7:20 pm

This morning for breakfast I made the kids baked oatmeal with bananas (white if you stretch your imagination!), red raspberries, and blueberries for some red, white, and blue fun! They gobbled it up warm and then after dinner tonight we ate the rest of the baked oatmeal cold with almond milk and maple syrup drizzled over it for a yummy dessert!

Your hair looks great. I go in tomorrow for a long overdue hair trim and brow wax.

I have made your pb cups before. This post reminds me I need to make them again. YUM, I love all your sweet treats!

Brooke — June 30, 2011 at 7:22 pm

My birthday is July 8th, but we always celebrate on the 4th! So I am looking forward to being with friends and family and hanging out by the pool…with a lot of watermelon!

Brooke Annessa

Heather — June 30, 2011 at 7:34 pm

Great recipes!!! I’m looking forward to seeing fireworks this year. Last night they were canceled at the last minute where we were visiting in NJ as it was dry and they were worried about fires.

Chelsea — June 30, 2011 at 7:43 pm

I’m going out of town to my favorite place EVER! Austin, TX :) Ah so psyched can’t even wait lol! Jet skis on the lake, tanning, swimming, and eating yummy foods sounds perfecto to me!

It’s so crazy looking at your old pictures and thinking how your photography has drastically improved and automatically makes my tummy growl now.

sophia — June 30, 2011 at 8:22 pm

Didn’t know there were blue artichokes!! How cool is that!!! I love blueberries, blue potatoes, blue sweet potatoes, blue corn. White = bread and cauliflower and cheese and white peaches. Red = cherries and watermelon and cherry tomatoes.

Holley @ Lunges and Lashes — June 30, 2011 at 8:32 pm

My family is all in town so I am excited to get to visit with them all! I choose red-watermelon, blue-blueberries and white-bananas! Yum! I can’t get enough fruit!

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit — June 30, 2011 at 8:54 pm

Everything looks so delicious!

Joanne Metz — June 30, 2011 at 10:13 pm

hi,

I love watermelon for my kids

eva @5FruitsNVeggies — July 1, 2011 at 9:06 am

thanks for the reminder to one day make the raw taco meat—i’ve seen this over and over and surprisingly i have not made it yet and want to…i clicked on your link to the taco meat and saw other wonderful raw recipes as well….were you mainly raw at one point?….i saw that the post was date may 2010 before i subscribed to you….

Angela (veggievinyasa) — July 1, 2011 at 9:19 am

Favorite red food of the moment: cherries. Favorite blue: blueberries. White: I really want one of your white peanut butter cups! They look so yummy!

Amber K — July 1, 2011 at 9:32 am

You have a LOT of recipes that fit the whole red/white/blue theme! We’re probably going to a barbecue on Sunday, but no major plans. Living in an apartment always means that the 4th of July celebrations start a week in advance and go for about a month after. Fireworks…oh the constant fireworks. It really makes me hate celebrating this holiday! I can’t wait until we can move!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — July 1, 2011 at 10:24 am

Today is Canada day, which we are celebrating with fireworks in the park, and possibly a concert or other activities that are happening. 4th of July I start my summer class at the University.