Rising Food & Grocery Prices

The week flew by in a blur-like state since returning home from Aruba.  The combination of almost 3 weeks away, let lag, returning home and starting work on a Friday last week, which is an odd day to start work again, all made this week seem surreal.

However, I’ve had a few great runs outdoors this week.

Today it was gray and overcast though.  May Gray & June Gloom it’s called here in San Diego.

I saw some pretty trees and flowers on my path.

Lots of juicy fruit has been consumed.

As well as green salads

Dressed with homemade Creamy Honey Mustard Dressing

And for snacks there have been always a few handfuls of these

And a few handfuls of Peanut Butter Chex Mix, i.e. Puppy Chow (Vegan, GF, No Bake, Easy & Fast)

And I’ve washed it all down with Vanilla Iced Coffees

These just hit the spot in the summer.   Or year round.

I don’t discriminate with coffee.  I’ve previously reviewed about 20 different types of coffee.

Speaking of coffee, I went to TJ’s yesterday to pick up some of my beloved “daily brew” coffee, Dark Sumatra.  For the price, and availability, and just all around, this is the coffee I reach for day in, day out, after I’ve tired of Smores Coffee or specialty brews which are fun here and there, but Sumatra is my daily workhorse.

I noticed the price went up from $4.99 to $5.99. That doesn’t sound like much but it’s an almost 18% price increase.

I asked a TJ’s employee was I mistaken or did prices go up and she told me that yes, prices did indeed increase on coffee because there is a worldwide shortage of coffee from things like poor weather in the growing regions to more people worldwide drinking coffee to continued weakness in the Dollar.

All of these factors and more are driving up coffee prices and they are at a 34 year high.

Folgers also raised their coffee prices.

She also said that cocoa prices went up, too, for similar reasons.

From my last post, Eating the Rainbow Recipes, it was fun to hear what Rainbow colored foods are your favorites to eat and most everyone agreed that eating rainbow-colored foods found in nature just make you feel so much better.

1. Have you noticed any grocery prices rising in your area?  Or any particular items that are now more expensive?

Jenn and I have discussed this a bit and so I know others are experiencing rising prices.

Hypothetically speaking…My musings, thoughts, and opinions only follow…

Imagine if your groceries, across the board, went up 18 to 20%.

That means that the $100 you used to spend for the week for your groceries, just turned into $120.  Are you making more?  Can you afford $120 instead of $100?  I don’t think anyone is getting a raise of 20% just to cover their possibly rising grocery bill.

But what if you couldn’t pay more for food.  You just don’t have the money.  Since you can’t pay more, you’ll just have to eat less. Cruel thinking, but let’s play out the example.

You only have $100 to spend, but now you are really getting about $80 dollars worth of food rather than the $100 you’re used to because of the increase in prices.  Are you going to make sure your kids eat first?  So will you be the one hungry?  Someone’s going to be hungry if you’re used to get x amount of food and now you’re getting x – 20 and you don’t have any extra income.

Or will you take on a second job?

20% is not a small amount for the average person or family to cover or absorb.  It doesn’t sound like much, here and there, but as a lump sum, it becomes very significant.  Imagine if prices did rise 20% across the board for groceries.  Or imagine if your auto insurance went up 20% or your mortgage payment suddenly went up 20%.   However, those things aren’t going up as fast as food prices are rising.

Have you noticed any rising food prices? Overall, you likely have.  Food prices have been, and continue to be, on the rise, overall.

3. How would this effect you and your life?

Would you eat less in general?

Would you eat at home more?  Less takeout?  Cook more?

Buy generic?

Part with the “I have to have organic” thoughts and buy whatever is cheapest? (this is what I frequently do)

Grow your own food? (this is not always cheap, easy, or effective.  Could you feed yourself with what you can grow on urban NYC on balcony or in rural North Dakota in January?  Didn’t think so.)

I have a post on Saving Money at the Grocery Store which has been a popular one and I give some of my real-life suggestions and tips.  How to feed a family and not go in debt is a real issue for so many.

Lots to think about with our food supply both in this country and worldwide and how this global picture translates and boils down to mom and pop and kid just trying to get dinner on the table and eat healthfully and affordably.  I still think you can eat the rainbow and not break the bank.

Can’t wait to hear your thoughts about this!  And again, my opinions only, my musings, and just my stop and say hmmm, thoughts of the day and in no way a complete commentary on this extremely complex topic.

P.S. Last reminder to enter my Coconut Oil Giveaway.  Winner announced Friday (next post).

57 Responses to “Rising Food & Grocery Prices”

Holly @ The Runny Egg — June 9, 2011 at 7:53 pm

I feel like prices go up all the time and it stinks. Yeesh — look at gas. When I started driving it is a little over a $1 a gallon. Now it is almost $4 (around here at least) — you just have to adjust for that sort of thing. Spend less in one area to make extra money for something else.

Honestly if food went up that high we’d probably eat less or we’d have to cut way back on stuff like meat, treats, etc.

Yeah I would love a 20% raise! :)

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — June 9th, 2011 at 8:05 pm

Gas is almost $5 here.

And no, I don’t think the avg person in CA is making 20% more than they are in MN, either. Some are, maybe, but that whole cost of living argument I find wayyyy skewed too! But we are paying for sunshine. Which I am happy to do :)

Natasha — June 9, 2011 at 7:55 pm

I have definitely noticed food price increase here (new orleans) and with no cost of living raise for 4 years now it is hurting us for sure. We have a garden which helps with produce costs but not too much I can do about coffee. Our garden doesn’t sustain us but it helps offset cost plus teaches my three kiddos about growing food, eating local etc. Your fruit pics look heavenly!

Michelle @ From Seed To Tree — June 9, 2011 at 8:00 pm

Amen. I’m only 25, but I remember when bacon was $2.99 for a package vs. the ridiculous $5.99 it is today. And cheese – crazy prices. $30 for 5 skinless, boneless chicken breasts?

I agree with the previous post. I’ll take a 20% increase in pay! LOL

rawkinmom — June 9, 2011 at 8:02 pm

How do you make your iced coffees??? They look fabulous!! I make my own too…cold brewed coffee, english toffee stevia mixed with almond or coconut milk and of course ICE!!! Just wondered if you have another twist???

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — June 9th, 2011 at 8:03 pm

click on the link in the post, vanilla iced coffee. i go thru the whole thing in that post…short answer hot coffee that i chill, then add ice and cream and stevia. read the post tho :)

• rawkinmom replied: — June 9th, 2011 at 8:25 pm

sorry-just clicked!!! Got it now!! :)

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen — June 9, 2011 at 8:03 pm

Funny you mention this because last time I was at the grocery store I noticed the bottles of seltzer I always buy increased 20 cents. That’s a 20% increase, like your coffee! Obviously, there can’t be seltzer shortages as it’s just water so I figured the only explanation was increased transportation costs b/c of gas prices.

Jenn L @ Peas and Crayons — June 9, 2011 at 8:12 pm

ack I knowww! I’ve been growing my own produce, shopping farmers markets and trying to eat more produce and less convenience stuff (the natural gunk free stuff – don’t worry! i have priorities still! hehe) — so that means I may be soaking and cooking my own beans finally and foregoing those cans…. oh dear. here we go!!!!

O.C. — June 9, 2011 at 8:20 pm

I’ve been seeing a food price increase too! Especially on things like sugar and coffee and coconut products that grow in tropical regions. Its kind of worrying but I could probably use to cut back on caffeine anyway!

Val @ Ramblings of a BabyMama — June 9, 2011 at 8:22 pm

I would definitely feed my child first and chose to go hungry if I couldn’t afford all he food we need. I try to shop at the farmer’s market and buy what’s in season (usually cheaper or on special) or buy in bulk. I find it helps with reducing the overall cost!

Amy @ FitMommas — June 9, 2011 at 8:35 pm

NO doubt I’ve noticed the increase in food prices. When we went down from two to one income, I totally changed my shopping habits, and often feel like I can’t cut anymore than I already have. And I need to spend MORE on food, as I want to increase the amount of natural and organic foods. I live in St. Louis, and are gas is currently $3.60ish, but our gas expenses have been way over budget, as well.

I don’t know how we’re going to compensate yet. Certainly not eating less, but hopefully we’ll continue to eat smarter. Right?

lynn @ the actor's diet — June 9, 2011 at 8:40 pm

haven’t noticed the food prices, but DEFINITELY noticed the gas ones!

Katie — June 9, 2011 at 9:21 pm

I truly haven’t noticed a difference in prices, but that may be because I just moved, so I haven’t been paying attention. But I have heard that about cocoa and coffee and just yesterday I went to the store for watermelon and there was a huge empty display with a sign that said they were not getting more because of floods. No watermelon?!?! Yeesh.

The gas price thing was interesting to notice as I drove across the country. I expected a ton of flucutation in prices, but everything stay relatively constant. Until I got here – its about 20 cents more than anywhere along the route I took.

Christine (The Raw Project) — June 9, 2011 at 9:56 pm

This week has been a blur, I’m sooooo looking forward to our actually hot weather this weekend – woot! Beautiful produce pics.

Doesn’t surprise me about coffee prices, still cheaper than Starbucks daily – not sure how people afford that!

1. Yes, produce and some bulk foods, bulk nut prices fluctuate all the time – worse than gas I think!
    3. (2? :-)) Bugeting a little more carefully and thinking more about impulse purchases, if I’ll get my money’s worth.

Heidi @ Food Doodles — June 9, 2011 at 10:03 pm

Yes, I find grocery prices going up. I haven’t even been buying groceries that long in the grand scheme of things(I can’t look back 20 years and say prices have changed) but even I notice the change. I like your questions after question #2. How we spend money on food is pretty minimalistic as it is, but I know a lot of people eat out a lot, or buy expensive processed foods so when prices go up maybe people will consider not spending their money that way. We’re lucky enough to have plenty of room to grow a lot of food in the summer(I can all the tomatoes and peaches we need for the entire year and freeze fruit from trees in our yard and from neighbors, that kind of thing) but honestly if we couldn’t grow a lot of our own food and over all food prices went up 20% that would have a huge impact on our lives even though there’s only 4 of us. Makes me think of my mother in law who feeds 11 people on Sunday night when all the kids come home for dinner, and 5(including 3 extremely active teenagers) on a regular basis. How crazy do you think 20% would be on top of that bill? And yes, I would go without for my kids if it came down to it, no doubt about that but there are a ton of ways to save money before it gets to that. My hubby and I were just talking(and quite often do) about the prices of everything going up but wages not increasing at all. The money has to come from somewhere and for some people it can’t come from any place else. Like for a lot of people there are other things to cut out of a budget that aren’t necessary but for a lot of people there are no extras to cut out and that is so sad :(

Emily @ Comfortable Home Life — June 9, 2011 at 10:52 pm

I haven’t noticed the price of food going up too much. Maybe because I shop at so many different places: Farmer’s Market, WF, TJ’s, Publix, etc. I would SERIOUSLY consider getting a second job if food prices went up 20%. There’s absolutely no way I would be able to afford food. I work for the government, so there’s basically no hope of ever getting even a cost of living raise, let alone 20%@ I would apply at WF because then maybe I could get a sweet discount also..

Sue @ Sue In Training — June 9, 2011 at 11:14 pm

I haven’t noticed any drastic changes in food prices around here lately, I probably should pay more attention. Also, I might have been distracted by the ever changing gas prices (they go up and down by more than 10 cents three times a day – crazy!). Prices are always going up, but our incomes usually don’t follow.
    I wouldn’t eat less, but probably cut down on treats and eating out, and I’d try to find cheaper food items. Something like living on rice and beans. No, just kidding! There are many ways to save money at the grocery store without going hungry. Guess you know most of them already, right? ;)
    Most effective, in my opinion, is buying seasonal and local produce. It’s generally much cheaper. Berries, cherries, and tomatoes are my favorites at the moment. Thank goodness it’s June and not January!

Rachel (tea and chocolate) — June 10, 2011 at 1:43 am

I’ve noticed some increases in food prices, especially for fresh produce. I almost never buy organic for that reason. I doubt I would eat less, but I would buy more frozen produce, and eating cheaper food like rice and beans instead of tofu or tempeh. I’m not sure a garden would be much cheaper than just buying produce once you factor in the plant prices, fertilizer, fence to keep out critters and such. At least that’s the case where I live.

Jess@HealthyExposures — June 10, 2011 at 3:08 am

Yep…I just got “the letter” from green mountain explaining their recent price increase (I “subscribe” to their coffee club so get auto shipments) It feels like it just happened a couple months ago, but they had to rise again! So glad it’s not like that across the board for groceries.
    I am very grateful that I have the time, for now, to make a lot of the more expensive things that would otherwise be on my grocery list. Handing over $5 for the good bread when I don’t have time to make it just about kills me because I know it’s a fraction of that from scratch. Other things like granola bars, boxes of cookies or munchies, too. All very expensive in comparison to how much the ingredients cost me if I were to make them. None of this stuff has risen, necessarily, just something I’ve always noticed.

Sarah @ Run Sqrl, Run! — June 10, 2011 at 3:12 am

Green Mountain Coffee just sent out a notice to their customers informing us that the price of coffee is going up as well. I didn’t calculate out the percentage increase (and I can’t find the letter) but it was significant.

Despite that though, my grocery bill has stayed relatively stable…but I try to buy my produce locally sourced and in season. I’m especially excited for the farm down the road to start selling it’s produce because there’s nothing better than fresh veggies straight from a garden!

cathy — June 10, 2011 at 3:24 am

i love talking coffee – on my blog today, too!
    rising prices: i definitely feel it with gas for my car. i try to drive as little as possible but do make a round trip to toronto (one hour each way) at least weekly, and it is a hit to the pocketbook. but family time > money, so i’ll make adjustments elsewhere.
    food prices: i stash when items i love are on sale (ex: starbucks via coffee – have enough for at least two months now!). and if i suddenly HAD to do with 20% less for groceries, i would pick cheaper items, but not reduce QUANTITY. ex: tofu for $0.99 instead of chicken breasts, say. and organic would have to go.
    wow, can’t believe you’ve been back a week already, you’ve accomplished so much in the last seven days of being home!

allison — June 10, 2011 at 3:25 am

I saw an article about the coffee shortage/price rise a few days ago but I’ll just search around for some coupons and hopefully hit a sale:)

To keep my bill down i don’t buy much processed food, I ALWAYS look for coupons, and i only buy in season (aka the cheapest) fruits and veggies and most times from road side stands or farmers markets. I also have a garden so i cant wait for it to start producing veggies:)

manish2010 — June 10, 2011 at 3:36 am

Yeah i noticed about the price increment,especially a gas prices,sometimes it becomes really tough at the end of month,when the gas is about fill and we don’t have the idea about the exact price rise of the market,at the month end mostly of us have a tight budget.

I wish these price fluctuations don’t get place in such random action.

Alex@Spoonful of Sugar Free — June 10, 2011 at 4:22 am

I just bought some more coffee the other day, too, and I thought it was abnormally high. :(

And I honestly believe you can eat completely healthy and b on a budget. You don’t have to go out and buy goji berries or cacao nibs to be healthy. Regular produce is not terribly expensive. I get organic produce from a co-op every other week-and it is good food for really good prices.

Kaitlyn — June 10, 2011 at 4:32 am

As a graduate student, I definitely could not cope with a 20% increase in my grocery bill. I try to feed myself well, both quantity and quality. I’d have to part with some natural products if there were an across-the-board increase, but my first effort would be to reduce unnecessary spending elsewhere in my budget. I try to buy locally, in bulk, and part of the reason I’m vegan is because of the economic and environmental effects of eating and producing animal products. I definitely would not part from these values, because I believe it would exacerbate the problem in my own, albeit small, way.

Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope — June 10, 2011 at 4:41 am

It always takes me a little while to get back into my element after a trip. Sounds like you’re definitely getting back into your groove though. LOVE puppy chow… it’s been WAY too long since I’ve had it.

I tend to keep an eye more on gas prices than food prices (more visible = easier I guess?), but I do notice if some of my staples go up in prices. That said, I don’t think I would ever skimp on my staples. I eat what I eat because I feel it fuels my body it a healthy way and makes ME feel good. If non-staple items went up in prices, I would probably be willing to find an alternative or cut them out if it was TOO high to afford. But with staples, I would make other adjustments in my buying to keep affording what I know makes me feel healthy and energized, and tastes good.

Tricia — June 10, 2011 at 4:59 am

Cocoa is also expensive because you get 50% butter and 50% powder from cocoa beans. Butter is expensive, and it’s sitting in silos, not selling very well. Companies that make cocoa powder and butter are having to make money off their cocoa powder. Coffee is crazy, and there isn’t much we can do. Part of it is fund involvement. Instead of making money from the stock markets (or in addition to), fund managers are also making money from agricultural futures. It makes it very tough because the fundamentals don’t always apply when it comes to actually buying the food. It could be a great crop year and prices aren’t predictable because of fund involvement.

In the US, we pay a lot less for our food than do people in other countries. We have been very lucky. I was reading about a family in Guatemala. 80% of their income goes to food. They really do eat less.

Maybe it’s because we are in the middle of a recession, but I think that we will have to start paying more for food. I don’t think there is rally any way around it.

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table — June 10, 2011 at 5:00 am

This is probably terrible, but I typically don’t pay close attention the grocery prices. HOWEVER, last weekend during my 4-grocery-store hunting trip I did notice that may of my favorite “health” foods (almond milk, a certain brand of greek yogurt, tempeh, etc) are actually CHEAPER at Whole Foods. I was pleasantly shocked!

Heather (Where's the Beach) — June 10, 2011 at 5:43 am

Ugh, yes definitely noticing the price increases – especially at the newly remodeled store I shop at (that they are moving crap around in again). I’ve started really paying attention to prices and separating out my lists. I used to buy the majority of items at one place, but now I will map out a day when I’m near the place that has them cheaper. I also try to use coupons whenever possible. Can’t wait for my garden to really get going so I can stop forking out too much money for tomatoes and bell peppers.

Lauren — June 10, 2011 at 5:57 am

I feel like every time I go to the grocery store my bill goes up. I don’t know if I just keep eating more or if the prices keep rising. :)

kristina@beancakes — June 10, 2011 at 6:00 am

i have noticed prices rising slightly, it’s such a shame ~ but i think this is happening not with just groceries, but with everything right now. i don’t think that i could change my spending with food that much, as of now we really don’t buy a ton ~ i’m of the belief that quality trumps quantity. but if i had to cut corners, i would probably not buy organic for some things like i do now.
    xo kristina

Dutchgirl — June 10, 2011 at 6:09 am

You pay $4 for a gallon of gas! Wouw, that’s cheap in my opinion! I’m from Holland and yesterday I payed 1,68 euro for 1 liter. A liter is almost 1/4 of a gallon and a euro is worth $1,50. So 1 gallon of gas would cost about $10,00 over here (am I right?). In Holland lots of people drive small cars to cut back on fuel, you understand why!

The price of food is also increasing over here, but I think it’s not much of a problem for most people. Organic food is quit expensive, though. It’s interesting to read about living in the US! Love from Holland, Dutchgirl

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit — June 10, 2011 at 6:13 am

A few handfuls of mega chunks? zomg I couldn’t put that bag down when I received it in the mail. They’re SO good!
    The prices of groceries are so high in Canada, it’s amazing. Organic is generally out of the question, unless I can get it at Superstore. Usually organic red peppers are $5 EACH. Yaaa… I wish I could afford that, but I just can’t!

Jordan @ foods sweat and beers — June 10, 2011 at 6:36 am

I truly hope that prices don’t continue to rise without my paycheck doing the same, because I’d hate to resort to how I lived RIGHT outta college with very little moolah to my name (aka big on the rice and beans route). However, I did make a promise to myself that if I had to make sacrifices, healthy and quality food would be one of the last things that I’d sacrifice. Rather cut back on treats and fun outtings than on the food that fuels me every day!

katie @ KatieDid — June 10, 2011 at 6:38 am

very interesting about the coffee shortage.. These topics tend to scare me because the future is so uncertain. Right now, I only buy and cook for myself, but on a college budget it’s not too easy either. I think I would have to make cuts in other unnecessary spending areas of my life because food is something that makes me happy and healthy. Sacrificing such a big portion would be tough. Very interesting topic though!

Beth — June 10, 2011 at 6:56 am

I’ve noticed the grocery bill going up (hubby does most of the shopping), and have been examining it to figure out what has been on the rise. Things we buy occasionally like break & buns are up, as is the conventional beef. The local grass fed beef is still the same price. Fruit & veg is also on the rise, and I’m assuming that is due to the rising cost of fuel. Can’t wait until we can get our weekly produce basket from our local organic farmer again.

We have increased what we buy in bulk, as well as eating out less often. If our budget was really tight, then I would also decrease in what I eat. Wallet enforced diet ;)

Amanda Gordon — June 10, 2011 at 6:58 am

Noticed the food prices as well as gas. A double whammy. And add to that paycuts at work and things have become increasingly difficult.

Allane — June 10, 2011 at 7:12 am

Unfortunately, when the central bank prints money as an attempt to improve the economy, it will do just the opposite. We have all experienced inflation throughout our lives, although it usually happens slowly and over time, making us less aware. In fact the dollar today has lost something like 98% of it’s value since 1913 (when the Fed was created).

These “quantitative easing” programs will produce inflation at a much faster rate than we’re used to seeing. Don’t be surprised if commodity prices continue rising quickly.
    Of course there are also other factors like Averie mentioned, but the weakening dollar largely due to Fed policy is certainly among the most influential.

Mellissa — June 10, 2011 at 7:29 am

Groceries have gone up quite a bit, I heard a story on the radio that most places will be raising on coffee and that fruit and veggies will be going up as well.

lauren@spicedplate — June 10, 2011 at 7:52 am

I’m definitely noticing the rising food prices. I’m going local again this summer, which should help with things. I also took on a second job at a market, so I get a discount on my food, which is pretty lovely. This summer I’m going to pick up odd jobs babysitting, tutoring, and farming (again, more free food!) whenever possible….making ends meet is hard!

KATE — June 10, 2011 at 9:03 am

I have noticed a slight change in prices of food thank goodness I broke my coffee addiction and only drink it a few times/ week so I guess im saving there :) Love your posts they always spark conversation!

Cait's a Runnerchick — June 10, 2011 at 9:22 am

every time i go to the store it seems like those prices are creeping up. but sometimes they aren’t even creeping, but like you saw there are dollar jumps! it has gotten to the point where i feel guilty every time i leave market.

one area i allow myself to buy what i want is when it comes to food, so i look for other areas to cut back. i also stock up on things when they go on sale and buy in bulk when i can.

Amber K — June 10, 2011 at 10:29 am

The price increases are definitely a pain. So far, I haven’t really done anything different. We already don’t go out to eat and we already only buy the “dirty dozen” organically. It’s going to be rough if things get any worse, because we’re pretty much doing what we can!

Jess — June 10, 2011 at 10:34 am

Grocery prices are INSANE. It makes me ANGRY that, often times, the HEALTHIER food (produce, organic/all natural dairy) is MORE expensive than conventional, processed food.

Grrrrr…

;)

Colleen — June 10, 2011 at 11:40 am

Great topic. I’m working at a family day event this weekend and one of the things we are offering is a make- your- own trail mix station for kids. I had a $50 budget to buy supplies for 100 kids and it was seriously difficult to purchase enough food while staying within the company’s nutrition guidelines and regulations. Definitely eye opening for me since I’m single and I buy/cook food for myself only!

Bria @ West of Persia — June 10, 2011 at 2:33 pm

$2.19 is the new $1.99. Ticks me off, but it’s not surprising, with the rising gas prices and so forth.

I’d cut back in other areas, namely entertainment. I rarely eat outside the home as it stands, so I’d find other areas to cut back on. Buying generic is something I already do pretty often; it helps. Organics only if they’re well priced and/or on sale. Downscaling portions helps, too. Luckily, it’s easy to do during the warm months. Heat kills (or at least dampens) my appetite.

edwina — June 10, 2011 at 9:20 pm

its funny because I always see how American bloggers say the price of certain items and I’m like WOW that is so cheap! In Australia groceries are much much more expensive just overall in comparison to America- but I think perhaps that maybe our average wage is higher? Hence our average prices are higher- how I imagine it to be in Europe. In regards to particular price increases in Australia, since the cyclones in North Queensland (where our tropical fruits are produced) bananas have gone up to $14 a kilogram. Yep, it costs $6 for two smallish bananas. I LOVE bananas and used to have at least one a day…but since the price increase I went down to 1/2 a banana a day…and now I just can’t justify buying them anymore. It makes me very sad and apparently the prices are going to stay that way for 18 months :(. Getting used to it though!

Lisa @ www.bakedinmaine.com — June 11, 2011 at 7:53 am

Looks like we’re all going to have to get a second job!
    Gorgeous photos!!!

Kady — June 11, 2011 at 2:53 pm

As a grad student, the price of groceries is definitely hitting me hard and I always feel guilty after leaving the store. However, I learned in some undergrad class that we spend less on groceries now, as a percentage of our total income, than we did several decades ago. So while prices seem high, they really wouldn’t be that bad if we spent less on cell phones/ipods, clothes, trips, etc. – things they didn’t spend much money on back in the day. In the early 20th century, say they spent 40% of their income on food (just making up #’s, but it was something like this), now we only spend 20% of our income on food.
    So I guess if we cut back on our “luxury” spending, groceries aren’t so bad.

• tasha replied: — June 12th, 2011 at 10:02 am

Your statement about spending less on groceries intrigued me, so I mathed ours out:
      Monthly, we spend approx. 25-30% of our income on groceries (also including toilet paper, laundry detergent, and other non-food essentials). From what I’ve read, that is quite high, even by today’s standard. I’m sifting through our budget to find some “luxury” funds to cut.

• Kady replied: — June 12th, 2011 at 10:35 am

Yes, that is high (although your #’s will be different because you added in other essentials). I think that’s a good thing though – it means you’re not using a lot of your money on non-essentials. I just did a little research and found this:

in 1929, we spent 23.4% of our income on food, and in 2008, only 9.6%. As a country, we spend the least on food than any other country, which could be because we’re spending more on non-essentials or maybe buying lower quality foods. Very interesting!

• tasha replied: — June 13th, 2011 at 5:35 am

Wow, that is huge drop in percentage! It makes me wonder also if families are spending more on dining out instead of groceries, too. Not us, but I’m sure that spending has increased as I have friends who eat takeout 7+ times a week! (My little big family of 6 barely eats out once a month.) One day, I’m going to sit with my receipts and total up just FOOD purchases — would be interesting to know. ;)

tasha — June 12, 2011 at 9:56 am

My hubby’s raises are 2-5% at best…never enough to cover even the cost increase of toilet paper from year to year. :/ We have definitely noticed an increase in prices here — we’ve had to adjust our grocery budget to spend more, but this means that we are putting less into savings. We rarely eat takeout as it is (maybe once a month, and that’s with coupons and kids eat free nights, ha!) and our only debt is a student loan payment. We struggle with deciding exactly where to cut – should prices continue, our only option will be to actually eat less & pick up another job for more income. My 4 kids aren’t quite teenagers yet, but they’re close…I hope our paychecks can keep up with their appetities then.

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — June 13, 2011 at 4:08 pm

Grocery prices, gas prices, and house prices are all astronomical in my city. It is insane.

Krista — June 14, 2011 at 11:34 am

Those mega chunks were a HUGE hit at my house!

And yes, grocery prices have risen in my area. And right at a time when my kids have hollow stomachs, too! *sigh*