Snack Boxes

While I was away on vacation in Aruba, I received lots of items in the mail.

I recently reviewed some new Amazing Grass powder, Tropical Traditions Dishwasher powder, and more in my Powder post from Saturday.

I was fortunate enough to receive a Foodzie Tasting Box in the mail, complete with all kinds of great goodies in it!

Read the fine print, here

My favorites so far have been the Peeled Snacks dried pineapple and the Pluff iced tea

Scott loved the biscotti (I’m not a huge biscotti fan but he is) so those went straight to him and he loved them!

And Skylar gobbled up the seaweed snax.

She’s a four year old who digs seaweed.  I’ll take it.

She also digs the sea.

Remember her “big” boat ride?

The Foodzie Tasting boxes are great and here are links to my posts and reviews from the previous two Foodzie packages I received:

Woody’s Sea Salt (which I got more of that in this month’s box, too)

Horseradish Dill Mustard (so good! I’m still thinking about that stuff!)

Also in the mail waiting for me were some Zenergy Powerballs.

Gogi Berry and Almond (above)

Coconut (below)

They remind me a bit of the Bard Valley Date Rolls I recently reviewed.  Naturally sweet, chewy, a portable snack, and good!

A fun food trivia sheet from Zenergy (click to enlarge)

If you don’t happen to have any Zenergy Powerballs, but have medjool dates, you can make your own goodies like Raw Vegan Caramels (3 ingredients)

Filled with nut butter

More recipe ideas using dates here

I still have more products to review but that’s enough snacks from a box for today.

Time for a snack from my freezerYes, that’s where I keep all kinds of balls, bites, cookies, and goodies.  Never know what I’m going to want, or when, so keeping a stash with variety on hand is good.

Like a Special K Bar with Chocolate Frosting

Peanut buttery, dense, rich, chocolatey and after 5 minutes at room temp, they’re ready to inhale eat.

From my last post about my new iMac, thanks for the congratulations.  Yes, I was in major need (not “want”) of a new computer since mine pretty much crashed on me after four and a half years.  I am loving the new machine and it’s making my life so much easier, better, and more efficient in just one day of having it!  Lots of you are Mac fans, too, it sounds like.

And I’m glad most of you back up your machines or plan to start backing things up.

1. Have you tried any new foods or come across any awesome food finds lately?

Do tell!

2. What’s your favorite snack now that summer is here?

In the winter, I really don’t snack on as much fresh fruit.  I crave warmer foods and roasted foods.

But now that summer is here, I am loving fresh fruit.  I just bought the most divine white nectarines.  They are in season for just a few weeks per year and right now is that time.  So good!

And watermelon has been a fave snack lately, too.

Enjoy your evening!

46 Responses to “Snack Boxes”

Kristina @ spabettie — June 6, 2011 at 8:23 pm

I LOVE receiving my Foodzie each month! those alfajores, the tea and the seaweed were my favorites from this last box! :)

Jess — June 6, 2011 at 8:35 pm

Wow, you hit the jackpot :D MMM, the dried pineapple looks super good.

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty — June 6, 2011 at 8:41 pm

Holy yum!! Everything sounds good!

I used to get TONS Of stuff in the mail, but lately, not so much. I guess it has to do with me not blogging much, it’s fun to get stuff though!

Hope your Monday was fabulous!

Katie — June 6, 2011 at 9:28 pm

I’ve been digging watermelon a lot lately. I think its partly (mainly?) the water. I can’t get enough. And those seaweed snacks are SO good. I definitley wouldn’t have touched them when I was 4. Or 24, for that matter.

Missing Aruba yet? ;)

O.C. — June 6, 2011 at 9:37 pm

Lucky you getting to come home to all those goodies in the mail :)
    And I’m with you on the fresh fruit as a summer snack. My faves are watermelon and grapes and I like to put them in the freezer so they are extra icy and refreshing!

kris (everyday oats) — June 6, 2011 at 9:59 pm

I love how un-picky Skylar is and how much she loves to eat veggies and healthy foods. Most of the 4 year olds I’ve met are more into plain pastas and corn dogs.

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — June 6, 2011 at 10:00 pm

In the summer I like to snack on fruit, fruit, and more fruit. And veggies!

Amanda Jewell — June 7, 2011 at 12:19 am

Holy guacamole (hmm.. now that I mention it where are those chips….)! :-)
    You get a LOT of mail! This is going to sound funny, but I’m actually really bad at checking my mail. I have no idea why (b/c all of my bills are paperless?), but I always forget about it and then it piles up and the mailman gives me dirty “clean out your mailbox you crazy woman” looks.

And I’ve been eating fruit salads for breakfast every day for almost two weeks now. I think I’m going to turn into a fruit any day now.
    P.S. I hope, if/when I have kids, they enjoy seaweed too! That’s so great! <3

allison — June 7, 2011 at 2:59 am

Oh yummy!!! I wish i got boxes like that in the mail;) Also they sent you alfajores!!! I definitely consumed my fair share of them when i lived in Argentina!! And those zenergy balls look pretty fun, but when are balls not fun;);)

Oh and congrats on the new iMac (i know im a post late lol) Once i graduate in December that is going to be my first purchase:)

Heather — June 7, 2011 at 3:32 am

I cut up a whole watermelon two days ago and it’s almost gone. Between my 10-year-old daughter and me, we eat a lot of it. The twin boy toddlers don’t seem as excited. A new recipe I tried for the summer is a quinoa salad that has figs, walnuts, celery, carrots and red peppers in it. It’s really good. The boys do love the figs. I give them some while I’m cutting them up. I have to be careful to make sure I have enough for the salad! LOL

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun — June 7, 2011 at 3:36 am

I’ve had lots of things to try and review popping up recently too. Sadly, not many are food. I love those reviews. LOL

cathy — June 7, 2011 at 3:38 am

what a fun variety of products to receive/try!
    cool that skylar is so open to “different” snack ideas.
    i am loving melon right now. the temps are in the 80s here the last couple days, and cantaloupe just hits the spot!

Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes — June 7, 2011 at 3:48 am

All those products look so good! I love recieving foodie packages.

Lauren — June 7, 2011 at 4:00 am

I usually don’t get into granola bars, but I recently tried Kashi’s new flavor of cereal bars, Cherry Vanilla and LOVE them! It’s so nice to have a go-to snack in my purse at all times.

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn — June 7, 2011 at 4:19 am

Ahhh snack boxes would be so handy!!

Erica — June 7, 2011 at 4:35 am

Fun products to review! I love dried fruit, so I’m sure I’d be a fan of the peeled pineapple. I am totally into snacking on fruit all summer long! And fresh veggie sticks (sometimes with hummus, sometimes alone!). Have a good one

Holly @ The Runny Egg — June 7, 2011 at 4:38 am

Look at all that good stuff! Dried pineapple sounds delicious.

The newest food I’ve tried and loved is Ancient Grains granola from Costco. I can’t get enough of that place!

Favorite snack: fresh fruit, frozen fruit, anything cold!

dragonmamma/naomi — June 7, 2011 at 4:40 am

Somehow I missed hearing about the Foodzie boxes until now; must check them out.
    Got my first watermelon of the year last week at Trader Joe’s, and it was great. $3.49 each.
    Shopping tip to everyone: Never buy watermelon by the pound, even if it sounds really cheap. They’re so heavy, you’ll wind up paying $12 for a medium one!

Cait's a Runnerchick — June 7, 2011 at 4:43 am

i recently read another review about Foodzie, and i love that they’re helping local, smaller food companies reach a winder market! gotta root for the little guys. :)

i’m enjoying lots of fruit myself for snacks as well as cottage cheese. they work well combined too!

lindsay — June 7, 2011 at 4:46 am

they all look good. I do love those seaweed snacks. Great for traveling! I hope that when I have kids, they have skylars taste buds. haha.

Jess@HealthyExposures — June 7, 2011 at 4:48 am

oooh fun foodzie goodies! and the zenergy balls look wicked good, too. are they mostly just dates, or am i missing out on something amazing?! (uh…i don’t mean that in as rude a way as it sounds?)
    i’ve found i’m far more likely to go for fresh fruit as a snack in the summer, too. fresh berries, apples and almond butter, bananas, peaches, you name it! …not a fan of melons, though. i know, i know. i am a disgrace.

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — June 7th, 2011 at 12:50 pm

you’re not missing anything. you hit the nail on the head :)

which is why I tried to gently urge people to make their own, just use dates! :)

The Preppy Vegan — June 7, 2011 at 4:58 am

When I have children, I pray they have the tastebuds of Skylar and not the tastebuds I had growing up as a kid….

Emily — June 7, 2011 at 5:20 am

I love dried pineapple! Well actually I love pineapple in general. Edy’s pineapple fruit bars are definitely a favorite hot weather snack lately!

Gina — June 7, 2011 at 5:25 am

Oh man those Zenergy balls look incredible! I would love those since I don’t have a food processor/blender in my tiny NYC kitchen and all the work is already done for me ;)

Heather (Where's the Beach) — June 7, 2011 at 5:33 am

I think I’m kind of jealous of those snacks! I love trying new things – even better when they work out. I tried some sort of seaweed snack on vacation. Jason seems to like them better than I do. Just an off flavor to them that I can’t quite get past. During summer, I love pineapple and strawberries.

Sarah @ Run Sqrl, Run — June 7, 2011 at 6:24 am

Wow that Foodzie box looks tasty. I am going to have to check that website out. I love that Skylar is so open to trying new foods! She’s such a cutie.

I’m pretty obsessed with oat groats lately. I cook them in the slow cooker overnight and top them with fresh fruits and chopped nuts or some nut butter.

kate — June 7, 2011 at 6:36 am

you hit the jackpot im so jealous of your snacks!!

Amy — June 7, 2011 at 6:51 am

Loving the snacks Quick questions, how long do all goodies take to defrost? I find it takes 12 hours plus and I simply can’t wait that that long Have you any tips for quicker defrosting? Thanks

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — June 7th, 2011 at 12:51 pm

well the size of the desserts I am defrosting are 1 or 2 items or pieces at a time so like 15 minutes? Not hours!

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} — June 7, 2011 at 7:12 am

My favorite summer snack is fresh fruit, for sure!

Does the seaweed snack taste anything like Trader Joe’s? We tried that and thought it was horrendous. I’d love to hear if a different brand is better.

Callie {Rawxy} — June 7, 2011 at 7:33 am

What a great idea – Food gifts that are actually unique and healthy! I’ve had to send gifts to guys in the past, and I’m always like a) flowers are too girly and b) I refuse to send candy bars, ha! So, I’ll have to keep this link on hand for those certain occasions!

Jenny — June 7, 2011 at 7:37 am

Hey Averie! I work for a firm that manufactures Greens and Reds, and in marketing we’ve done product comparisons against Amazing Grass. They are definitely a good company but they are on the bitter side for taste (so they taste like, well kale, seaweed, barley, etc.) Good products though. Let me know if you want me to send you a sample box of our products, I think Skylar would love our Strawberry-kiwi and Chocolate flavors. :) Delicious Greens & Reds 8000 if you want to hit up the sites for some details.

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen — June 7, 2011 at 7:57 am

A 4 year old that likes seaweed is impressive! Any fresh fruit is my fav for summer.

Jenn L @ Peas and Crayons — June 7, 2011 at 8:08 am

What a lucky momma to have a seaweed snackin’ four year old =) I would be elated if my soon-to-be-4 niece would just eat a vegetable. Her mom gives her the typical happy meal diet and it breaks my heart!

Kate — June 7, 2011 at 8:11 am

Wow all that stuff sounds awesome!

I love watermelon right now and peaches here are just coming into season. Mangoes and pineapple are so good now too. My mom and I usually go peach and blueberry picking in a few weeks – it is so much work but a lot of fun.

Tiff @ Love, Sweat, and Beers — June 7, 2011 at 9:34 am

It looks like you scored some good eats! How fun. I love trying new things. I will try WayFare Foods spreads this weekend since they gave me some samples this week. My fav summer snack is probably a sweet, juicy peach. I love those things!

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit — June 7, 2011 at 9:49 am

I haven’t tried peeled snacks yet! I’ve heard they’re really, really good. It’s SO awesome that Skylar likes seaweed. It’s so rare for a child her age to enjoy such a vast array of foods. Keep it up!!

maggie — June 7, 2011 at 9:54 am

I really need to make up some summer snacks for the freezer!!! I got all the ingredients…it just takes me getting in the kitchen and uncooking some date treats! I usually love my smoothies when it gets hot – I make 2-3 daily which means I need lots of frozen bananas ready in the freezer.

xoxo
    Maggie

mybreakfastblog.com

Beth — June 7, 2011 at 10:09 am

Looks like you 3 had a plethora of choices from all of the packages that arrived while you were in Aruba.

Recent recipe: Angela’s Chilled Double Chocolate Torte (no bake).
    I made this on Sunday but we didn’t try it until last night. OMG! Amazing!

Favourite summer snack: fresh juicy/watery fruit and fruit smoothies.

Zenergy — June 7, 2011 at 10:10 am

Thanks for the review Averie! Check out our website, like us on facebook, and please share our fundraising campaign on IndieGoGo: http://www.indiegogo.com/Zenergy

Christine (The Raw Project) — June 7, 2011 at 10:14 am

Sweet swag box! Looks of fun products. I’ve never been a big biscotti fan either, it’s just okay. But I’d be all over the pineapple.

1. Lightlife Smokey Tempeh strips were a pleasant surprise, tasty and easy to work with.
    2. Watermelon is probably my fave summer snack.

Amber K — June 7, 2011 at 10:29 am

No new food finds recently, but wow that watermelon looks delicious!!

Katelyn (new kid on the vegan block) — June 7, 2011 at 10:45 am

I just recently heard about these Foodzie boxes and I really want to try them, but I’m worried I may not be able to eat half of the stuff that comes. I’ll have to investigate a little more to see if there is any control over the contents. I love the Peeled brand though and I’m very thankful they started carrying it at Starbucks. Also, congrats on the new iMac – it’s beautiful!!

Tori (Fresh Fruition) — June 7, 2011 at 6:21 pm

I love Peeled snacks! They’re so good. They sell them at most Starbucks, I think. I got some as a snack one time and they’re a great way to get a taste of dried fruit without committing to an entire big bag!