Taste of Adams Avenue

This is a monster of a pictorial post.  I loved making photographs of our Sunday afternoon and capturing our time there and all the wonderful food we saw and ate.  And I hope I make you hungry.

On Sunday afternoon, Scott, Skylar and I went to the Taste of Adams Avenue

Neighborhood restaurants serve sample-sized portions of something from their menu and festival go’ers walk up and down the street, sampling, tasting, and getting their cards punched at the 30 restaurants or so that were participating.

Needless to say, elastic pants are a good thing.  We ate so.much.food and probably only punched our cards at 10 restaurants, maybe even less.

Some of the portions were like mini-meals, not just “samples”.

Let’s break the day down by ethnic cuisine.

Thai: a spicy vegetable curry, rice, and a fried wonton

Skylar loved the wonton!  Fried dough, cmon.  Good stuff.

Vietnamese: Spicy chicken, black bean & basil tofu, mixed brown rice, and a fried sesame ball

And I taught Skylar how to hold food for the camera.

Hold it still, don’t create shadows on the food, open palm, don’t shake.

Her little 4 year old hand did great, right?

The sesame ball was awesome.

Sweet dough, that’s been fried, and filled with some kind of sweet-ish paste.  <– How could that not be wonderful.

Italian: Margherita pizza with basil

Perhaps my favorite images of the day are these three pizza images.

Shooting directly on top of wood with natural lighting in the restaurant.  Loved it.

I wanted to make pictures of pizza all day!

And perhaps Skylar’s favorite food of the day.

She wanted to eat pieces of pizza all day.

Mexican: Beef tacos with spicy sauce, onions, and lime juice.

Mediterranean: Hummus, a yogurt-ish sauce, naan/pita bread, chicken, and veggies

Skylar’s in heaven with pita bread, naan, hummus.

Ice Cream is its own category. So much ice cream!

And there were more places we didn’t even make it to that were serving ice cream!

Ice Cream #1: A Mexican ice cream shop.  Pick two flavors.

Raspberry + Cookies & Cream.  This was not a “sample”. This was a full-on bowl of ice cream!

We hated it.  Kidding.

Ice Cream #2: Viva Pops.  Some vegan flavors.

It was a key lime sorbet-like treat.

Scott, who I would not desribe as a key lime guy at all, said this was the best thing he ate all day.

Better than pizza, tacos, or anything else.  That’s high praise.

And Skylar loved hers, too.  I cannot eat ice cream and I don’t even like anything ice cream related. It gives me a horrible stomachache so I didn’t try the Viva Pops.

I want to have Vanilla Banana Avocado “Ice Cream” instead!   I know I’m safe with what I make in my own kitchen!

Ice Cream #3: Softserve with vegan options

Ice Cream #4: if you count these ice cream-ish Starbucks drinks

I like that picture.

Skylar liked the actual drink better than I did.

Start ‘em young on Starbucks, right?

We had a great day of family fun!

Lovely weather: 75F, sunny, no humidity, no bugs, no big crowds, no parking hassles.

And we enjoyed eating our way up and down Adams Avenue.

Skylar’s favorite(s) of the day: pizza and ice cream

My favorite of the day: the sesame ball

Scott’s favorite of the day: the key lime Viva Pop on a stick

We can’t wait to do it again!

Thanks to Marisa at McFarlane Promotions for our tickets.

And I ran into Amanda, who won my Taste of Adams Avenue Giveaway, but neither of us remembered to take photos!  We were clearly in a food coma.

From my last post, Pretty Salt, it sounds like many of you have tried pink Himalayan salt.

And there are some serious salt lovers, too.  Not me, I’ll stick with sweets over salts.

1. Have you ever been to a Tasting Festival?

I love these types of events, because for $20 to $30 bucks (sometimes less, sometimes more), you can get more food than you could ever eat.

You get a diverse selection of food from whatever an Italian restaurant chooses to serve to whatever the Mexican restaurant dishes up.  Can you see what incredible diversity in food there is in just a couple city block span here?  Another reason why I love San Diego.

I have done tons of events like this in the past and they are always so much fun.

The last one I went to was the Greek Festival a couple weeks ago.

And I have also done plenty of pub crawls in my former life.  Same concept, but with alcohol.  You can  “sample” and “taste” drinks from many establishments.  And the stories are always epic from pub crawls.

2. Is there diversity in the food in your area or neighborhood?

I grew up in rural Minnesota.  There wasn’t much diversity in the meat, potatoes, and tuna casseroles that were found in the corn fields my “neighborhood”.   Boy, how times have changed and I am happy that Skylar loves trying all types of foods!

She’s 4 and she was a bottomless pit and loved sampling it all!

3. Best thing you ate or did over the weekend?

If you’re just catching up on posts from over the weekend, here are mine since Friday:

Have a great week!

73 Responses to “Taste of Adams Avenue”

Hayley @ Oat Couture — June 27, 2011 at 4:27 am

Ahh I would have ‘hated’ that ‘sample’ size ice cream too! ;D I have to say you take some beautiful photos!! And I know I’ve said this before but Skylar is such a cutie! :) You look like you had a lovely family day!

Morgan @ OperationHotMama — June 27, 2011 at 4:38 am

It looks like you and your family had a wonderful time!! I would love to go to a tasting festival!!!

Morgan — June 27, 2011 at 4:43 am

DROOL! I shouldn’t have looked at this before breakfast. Now I want to eat everything, and think my oatmeal is just going to be lame after your amazing taste adventures!

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine — June 27, 2011 at 4:56 am

That looks like such an amazing afternoon! I’ve been to a few tasting events- most notably the NYC Veg Expo and the chocolate show. Both were absolutely AMAZING! Here in PA there’s not too much diversity, but in New York…well, it’s New York. Tons of diversity, and I love it!

Best part of my weekend….spending lots of time with several groups of high school friends. Love them so much!

Kaitlyn@TheTieDyeFiles — June 27, 2011 at 5:01 am

That looks like a blast!!

I’ve never been to a tasting festival, but I’d like to! There is one in the fall in my city, I think!

I live in a diverse city, so the food options tend to follow suit. I love trying new things! For being so small, it’s pretty awesome for vegan dining too.

Best thing I did over the weekend? Beach and Whole Foods hot bar. Hands down.

Tasha @ Voracious Eats — June 27, 2011 at 5:03 am

That looks like a dream day to me! Everything looks AMAZING, Averie. You are such a talented photographer. I love traveling along with you as you joyfully discover this new passion of yours. And I agree, those pizza shots are out of this world! Pictures on wood are always so lovely. See, the problem with me is that I am NOT passionate about photography, just cooking and eating. So, I have to force myself to spend time on the photos for my blog. I should just get you to fly over here and be my professional shutterbug! xox

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — June 27th, 2011 at 5:08 am

your pics are always soooo beautiful though! seriously, if that’s what your “not caring too much about it” pics look like…if you did begin to care, you’d be a professional in like… a week b/c your pics ROCK!!!!

shooting on wood, the best. love it.

xoxo

Melissa @ Dash of East — June 27, 2011 at 5:06 am

Awesome photos! Loved “sharing” your tasting experience with you. My best tasting experience was in May during the Atlanta Food & Wine Festival – some of the best restaurants in town participated, it was amazing.

Sadly, we live in the suburbs of Atlanta, so there are mostly chain restaurants around us. There’s usually an annual Taste of.. event for the area that we live in, but places like Outback and Chick-Fil-A were there last year… so, yeah.

Looks like it was red bean paste inside that sesame ball. Those things ARE amazing. Love them. Bets thing I ate this weekend were some Peach Blackberry Mini Pies that I made both Saturday and Sunday. Nom nom nom…

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — June 27th, 2011 at 5:10 am

I remember your posts about the ATL Food & Wine festival. I was reading them from Aruba and we were exchanging emails about F & L in Aug :)

And I lived in NC and then in Myrtle Beach SC and Outback and Chick-Fil-A and Bojangles and Cracker Barrel were pretty much all she wrote. And Nascar cafe :)

Red bean paste, yes! thank you!

Erica — June 27, 2011 at 5:12 am

YUM! I love events like this where you get to taste a little (or a lot ;)) of so many awesome foods. I’ve never had a sesame ball – that looks amazing. Glad y’all had fun- cute pics!

Angela (veggievinyasa) — June 27, 2011 at 5:17 am

That looks like so much fun! Philadelphia has a food festival, but you have to pay individually. Like the “samples” you had, they’re so big that I’m full after three or four, but it’s still good fun. I used to live in Astoria, Queens. It’s the mecca for diverse food. I miss the bagels, Columbian plate, Greek tzatziki and Mexican tacos. So good! A few months ago my boyfriend and I went back and got all the street food off our old corner. We were stuffed and it was delicious. I guess every day is like a food festival in Astoria!

Hannah (Balancing on Two Feet) — June 27, 2011 at 5:19 am

These are all beautiful photos and it looks like you had an amazing time!

I spent most of my weekend at Comfest, a local, community festival (as the name implies!) Lots of love, good music, and laughter.

Heather (Where's the Beach) — June 27, 2011 at 5:27 am

How fun. You know that pizza is what called my name though ;-)

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — June 27, 2011 at 5:27 am

Oh my gosh, I LOVE things like this!!! It looks like SUCH a fun way to spend the day!

Salah (My Healthiest Lifestyle) — June 27, 2011 at 5:50 am

that sesame ball looks amazing!!!!

Amanda Gordon — June 27, 2011 at 5:55 am

Awesome photos. And the icecream looks so delicious. My favorite is black currant. Feel like having one right now! :)

Hannah — June 27, 2011 at 6:01 am

That looks like so much fun. I’ve never been to a tasting festival, but I’d love to try it.

Katie — June 27, 2011 at 6:03 am

I have never been to anything that huge – just smallish ones. I don’t think I’ll be going to any in this little town either, but maybe someday I can make a trip out of it. All of your photos are gorgeous.

Skylar’s hair is so LONG!!! And of course her favorites are pizza and ice cream- she’s a smart 4 year old. :)

Jordan @ foods sweat and beers — June 27, 2011 at 6:07 am

Ah, these kinds of events are what dreams are made of! I would choose a $20-40 ticket to a “tasting event” over $20-40 worth of a restaurant meal almost any day of the week (unless I was truly craving something). It’s like the ultimate sampler platter, only you get to stroll around while trying things!!

In my opinion, that can’t be beat.

katie @ KatieDid — June 27, 2011 at 6:42 am

The pictures of the pizza are easily my favorite of the bunch. Natural lighting can go a very long way with pictures. Also, sometimes a good old paper napkin can do a better job at capturing the moment and mood than a perfectly ironed cloth napkin. In those pictures it’s all about the quick grab and go slice of pizza, which is told through the slightly greasy napkin beneath it. Love it!!!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — June 27th, 2011 at 12:33 pm

thanks for the compliments and glad you like to ‘study’ and think about pics as much as i do :)

Jess — June 27, 2011 at 6:55 am

ALL those foods look SO interesting and fun!!

What a fun day of food!!

Leia — June 27, 2011 at 7:06 am

I’ve never been to a festival like that but it sounds AMAZING! Looks like you feasted on some amazing treats, too! The best thing I did all weekend? Spend some quality time with my mother – took her to get a massage and facial and spent Sunday afternoon watching a movie with her. I love family time! :)

Ari@ThE DiVa DiSh — June 27, 2011 at 7:17 am

I. Am. Super. Jealous!. Sounds so fun! Such delicious food with family! Skylar is too precious! SHe has the sweetest smile :)

Cait @ Urban Fencepost — June 27, 2011 at 7:22 am

Taste of Chicago is currently happening here in Chicago. I don’t know if I’ll make it this year, but they always have some good eats! There is a LOT of diversity in the food around here. I don’t know of any foods you CAN’T find in Chicago – guess that’s a perk of living in a big city. Best thing I ate this weekend was a vegan scone from Bleeding Heart Bakery.

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — June 27th, 2011 at 12:34 pm

omg I love the taste of chicago. it’s about 20x bigger than this event i was at, easily. the parking and crowds and grease are a bit much :) but there IS so much diversity. when i used to live in chicago (all over the city, lincoln park, gold coast, wrigleyville, etc) i used to go every year!

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit — June 27, 2011 at 7:38 am

Wow. Everything looks so amazingly tasty! I wish we had things like that here! Thanks for getting my tummy rumblin’ I’ve been waiting all morning! Time for some pancakes…

Chelsea — June 27, 2011 at 7:41 am

We don’t have things like this where I live :( I mean probably in downtown Houston but I live in like the suburbs lol so we don’t have anything like that. It seems really cool though and a great way to spend the day with family! maybe I’ll look into it and see if we have any coming up downtown :) Good date day for me and the boy ha!

Emma — June 27, 2011 at 7:55 am

I’ve always wondered whether or not jin deui (Chinese sesame balls) are vegan – they bring back delicious childhood memories! I do remember buying them in Singapore a few months back, and the lady selling them said they were veg friendly.

What a fun food fest!

Madeline - Greens and Jeans — June 27, 2011 at 7:56 am

What an awesome family outing! You guys all look so happy in these pictures, which makes me happy!

Anne — June 27, 2011 at 8:10 am

Yeah, the pizza-pics are great, but the pic of Skylar holding the sesame ball is THE BEST! Sooo great to take her somewhere like that. I am like you, but even more so, I think: I prefer the food that has been safely prepared in my own home (speaking of which, I just paused to get some muffins out of the oven, yumyumyum). Eating out gives me the willies – because I know what I’m risking. But I would have loved for “my” kids to try something like that. Wow.

Awww, you look so healthy and happy – seriously, the pic of you put a smile on my face. Scott may be married to a food blogger, but he’s no mean photographer himself. He must have been inspired by the view ;-)

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — June 27th, 2011 at 12:36 pm

Heavily cropped photos in order to get us all in the frames and lighting adjustments made :)

Thanks for the lovely compliments :)

Jackie @ That Deep Breath — June 27, 2011 at 8:20 am

All of that food looks delicious! I would have to say the pizza would be my favorite meal there…I can’t get enough!!

Beautiful pictures! You are a great photographer!

Amber K — June 27, 2011 at 8:25 am

I have been to the Portland VegFest and tried so many vegan and vegetarian goodies, but thankfully it was free. I haven’t ever been to anything you had to pay for, but it looks like it would be really fun! Especially if ice cream is involved, I can’t live without the stuff ;)

Emily — June 27, 2011 at 8:29 am

I’ve never been to a tasting festival but wow, this looks amazing! You took some really awesome photos too! :)

Sarah — June 27, 2011 at 8:55 am

Oh my word, that food looks amazing! All of it! I love, love, love thai food. It’s defo my fave cuisine. In Bristol we’re lucky when it comes to all different ethnic cuisines. But the best thai restaurant I’ve been too is back in Wales. Bristol’s lacking a good mexican place too.

Happy Monday! x

Red Deception — June 27, 2011 at 8:58 am

I love food festivals! In my former hometown, every year there was a city-wide food festival that was based on countries (German, Scottish, Philippines, etc). My favorites was German and Scottish, for sure. They were also the most entertaining!

Get Skinny, Go Vegan. — June 27, 2011 at 9:48 am

We don’t tend to do tasting stuff because we are Midwest Vegans!
    There is a fairly wide variety of food here though…….And blueberries & strawberries rocked my weekend but didn’t make up for all the quinoa I ate!

kris (everyday oats) — June 27, 2011 at 9:54 am

Wow, what a fun and food-filled day! I would loveee to do something like this. My neighborhood definitely doesn’t have this much variety when it comes to restaurants though. Especially in the vegan department.
    I love those sesame balls too! So delish!

Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope — June 27, 2011 at 10:14 am

Looks like such a fun day and what a great experience… especially for Skylar too! That pizza especially looks amazing!

I grew up in rural Wisconsin which sounds a lot like your Minnesota description, but since I’ve moved to Madison it’s definitely a different cultural experience. There’s such diversity here and I love it!

Maris (In Good taste) — June 27, 2011 at 10:29 am

What an incredibly fun day! Skylar looked liek she was having a blast!

Amanda Jewell — June 27, 2011 at 10:47 am

I DIDN’T SEE THE VEGAN SOFT SERVE! AHHH!! Must find vegan soft serve (that’s fruit sweetened!!!). Those sesame balls + the strawberry basil popsicle I had definitely created dance parties in my mouth!
    P.s. you and skylar totally have the same smile :-)

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — June 27th, 2011 at 12:38 pm

I know…and we have the same eyes. Genetics are so powerful!

The softserve place is on the south side of Adams. I can’t even give you a cross street b/c we walked up and down, so many times, lost my bearings a bit. Near Felton I think?

Christine (The Raw Project) — June 27, 2011 at 10:55 am

Wow, lots of pics! So many great pics, especially the Thai food and pizza – yum! And you two look great, what a day!

1. Yes, the last one was the FoodBuzz Tasting Pavilion.
    2. Yes, lot
    3. Had a great dinner out with hubby.

dragonmamma/naomi — June 27, 2011 at 11:44 am

Wow, that looked amazing! I’m a pig; I would have wanted my full share of samples no matter how stuffed I was, and would have gone home with a stomach ache.
    Because I live in wine country (Sonoma County, CA) all of the taste fairs around here include wine and cost ridiculous amounts of money. (Over a hundred bucks.) Yuppie central.

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — June 27th, 2011 at 12:38 pm

wine festivals are right up my alley! I have paid a pretty penny to attend them, but soooo fun!

CH — June 27, 2011 at 12:09 pm

Ahhh, I love stuff like this Averie! there are definitely events like this in New York (as well as in Ann Arbor, my hometown), but I haven’t been to any in a while. NYC has GREAT ethnic food options, as well as really good more “traditional” food. I grew up near Ann Arbor in a small town where there was, let’s see, pizza, hot dogs, dairy queen, and not much else. BUT we did have an incredible Fall Festival every year with tons of food made from local farms — roasted pigs, potatoes, sauerkraut, etc. That was always really fun, and I kind of miss it.

Hope your week is off to a good start!

Laury @thefitnessdish — June 27, 2011 at 12:59 pm

“And I hope I make you hungry.”

Um…Averie…you ALWAYS make me straight up DROOL when I come by here!

I am cracking up at Scott trying to get you and Skylar in one frame. Michael is the WORST at taking pics for me!

Looks like you had an amazing time! Now that we have the baby I am always looking for fun places like that to go with the stroller. Michael cracks up every week I am like..lets find a festival or something to walk around at. I haven’t. Manayunk Arts fest was last weekend, but we both have no tolerance for traffic :(

Have a great Monday, gorgeous!

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn — June 27, 2011 at 1:13 pm

Ohhhh my gosh that looks like foodie HEAVEN!! I am so glad you and Sky had a good time!!

Nathalie — June 27, 2011 at 1:41 pm

Hey Averie,I just wanted to say ‘hi’ to not be the anonymous blog-stalker :-) (Haven’t got one myself yet). I followed your blog a few months ago -you still had your old website, had just gotten your amazing tattoo I think, and I kinda thought you were living in Arizona, but either I missed major news or I am mixing things up, which is highly likely ;-) …so it’s been a while- and for some silly reason forgot about checking back (I think I usually ended up with a gazillion windows open after reading your blog, which caused my computer to freak out and slooow down, I think that may have been why)…but WOW what have I been missing!!!??? I loved your blog before, but now it just looks beyond amazing! I’ve only been reading through some posts for 20 mins and already have 10 different windows with a selection of scrumptious looking recipes open. And your photography… AMAZING! I am sure I missed some equipment and skill upgrade somewhere along the lines ;-) I will not miss another post…just subscribed to your blog ;-) Now I’ve got to go…I have some catching up to do :-)
    Best wishes from the UK! Nat xxx

Savannah (Sweet and Savvy) — June 27, 2011 at 2:02 pm

OMG! That looks like a totally amazing day! Hope you and Skylar enjoyed. :)

Lauren@LittleYellowKitchen — June 27, 2011 at 2:20 pm

It was aaaall so tasty! I also loved the Viva Pop…the strawberry basil one was especially delish. It could have been the extreme heat that made me so grateful for a Popsicle though. Glad you guys had fun, sorry we missed you!

Kristina @ spabettie — June 27, 2011 at 2:51 pm

stunning photos, Averie!

I LOVE these kind of tasting events – we used to have a big one here, but I haven’t been in a couple years, I should see if it’s still around…

I also love those sesame balls – that’s red bean paste and it’s SO good!! I have to get a fresh one every time I go to my favorite Asian market…

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — June 27th, 2011 at 3:36 pm

and yes, i figured out it was red bean paste…i was spacing out on the name, but yep, that’s what it was.

Ragnhild — June 27, 2011 at 3:23 pm

Wow, this sounds like a wonderful day. So many yummy foods! I have never been to a taste-festival, but it looks awesome- I would love to go! :)

Callie {Rawxy} — June 27, 2011 at 3:23 pm

Umm, hello – YES. This is incredible. Seriously, throw me on a street with multiple food vendors (especially Asian) and I’ll think I’ve died and gone to heaven :)

By the way – I LOVE the 2nd pic of the beef tacos!!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — June 27th, 2011 at 3:38 pm

you do? I almost didnt post it b/c I thought it was a little out of focus (but then again, tons of others are too…lol)

this was the first day me and my new cam went out shooting together :) loved it. Not sure if you can tell any quality diffs. Then again, I was shooting street food, on the fly, 1st time using it!

Chantal — June 27, 2011 at 3:59 pm

Love the all the pics! And sooo much food, it looked (and probably tasted) like an amazing time :) You’ve also totally made me crave those sesame balls (it’s red bean paste inside!).

(I know this is a shameless plug, but I’m hosting a Vega ‘n stuff giveaway if you or your readers are interested! feel free to check it out!)

mi-an — June 27, 2011 at 4:10 pm

wow everything looked delissshh!!! those sesame balls are awesome…the inside stuff is made of red mung bean paste and the outside part is made of mochi flour…yummy.