Bug-Free

I hope everyone has been having a nice, relaxing, calm 4th of July Holiday Weekend!

Mine has been anything but calm and relaxing.  I’ve been working hard!  But that’s okay.

I have made time to get a couple nice runs in.

This is what happens when you shoot into the sun.  Kind of artsy though, right?

The weather has been gorgeous here all weekend.  High 70s/low 80s, sunny, low humidity.  No bugs.

No mosquitoes here in San Diego.  Just pretty flowers.

Juicy fresh fruit has been consumed.

As have a few fresh salads.

With 2 minute peanut sauce used as the salad dressing.

Yum!

So Good.

Dessert has been a series of previously frozen raw dessert bites.  That’s what freezers are for.  To warehouse a smorgasbord of desserts.

Such as No-Bake Vegan Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Balls (with a High Protein Option)

These are easy.  You don’t even need to break out your food processor.  Who needs the dishes on Fourth of July.  Or ever.

Still need a quickie but fancy-tasting dessert for the 4th?

Enjoy some Red, White and Blue of your own with my Mixed Berry Clafoutis.  Takes 10 minutes to make if you need a last minute idea.

I was grateful FoodGawker liked it!

From my last post, A Few Trinkets, I enjoyed hearing what little trinkets and items you’ve picked up recently.  Lord knows I really don’t “need” any dishes, but cheap thrills are always day-brighteners.

Thanks for your continued support and well-wishes on my You Wouldn’t Believe It…Post.  Seriously, you all have just made me feel so supported and cared about!  I am fine, things are fine.  Just really crazy for the time being while I am sorting out all kinds of details and managing the chaos.  I will blog about it all soon when some things are finalized and I have more information.  Til then, thanks for the love.

1. Any 4th of July plans, parties, events going on? Or for my Canadian friends, any Canada Day festivities?

I’m working and also really busy with everything else.  So no parties for me.  Just a lot of work.  But I’m getting through it.

2. Do you have bugs in your area?  Bug spray user or hater?  Any tips to keep the bugs away?

Semi odd topic for a post but bug bites and the 4th of July just go hand-in-hand.  Ugh. Everyone loves to hate mosquitoes and bug bites.

Growing up in the midwest and then living in the Carolinas for a few years, summertime and fireworks on the 4th just meant extra mosquito bites while waiting for the fireworks to commence while sitting on cheapie plastic chairs crammed in somewhere waiting to see “the big fireworks show”.  And usually the shows were definitely not worth the bug bites!

I am grateful that California really doesn’t have many mosquitoes.  At least not in coastal San Diego.  We have ants, snakes, and all kinds of other creepies, but not having to swat away mosquitoes is a big bonus.

And bug spray.  I.Hate.It. The feeling of it on my skin, the smell, knowing the chemicals that’s in it and that our skin is our largest organ and extremely porous and those chemicals are just penetrating right into me.  Shudder.  I don’t care if it’s “natural” bug spray. I don’t want it on me!

I know there are natural remedies, potions, and tricks to keep bugs away.  Everything from Avon Skin So Soft lotion to not eating things like pineapple I’ve heard to citronella candles to those electric lights that zap the bugs, but none of them ever seem to work all that well.  I also think that some people have the bloodtype or “scent” that mosquitoes just love and they are simply more prone to bites.

I am not especially prone to bug bites but I hate it when I get them.  Reminds me of being an itchy little Girl Scout at summer camp.

Any bug tips?

Don’t forget to enter my Sticky Giveaway

And have a wonderful holiday!

39 Responses to “Bug-Free”

Michelle Eden — July 3, 2011 at 4:35 pm

I made your clafoutis recipe last night – but with blueberries instead. It was sooo good. Thank you for the inspiration!

cathy — July 3, 2011 at 4:43 pm

if you can believe it, we were lucky enough to have a TOTAL canada day weekend with skies/sunshine/temps to match yours! it’s been a pure delight.
    i think you either have blood that bugs/mosquitos love, or you don’t. i got more bug bites as a child – now they don’t seem to go after me too much (thank goodness). i HATE insect repellant. best remedy for bug bites – swipe plain white vinegar on them. takes the itch away, totally!
    have a super eve, and keep on keeping on!

Lisa — July 3, 2011 at 4:51 pm

I don’t have any bug tips…but I did notice last week when I was in SoCal that there really are no bugs there! In NY it is humid and infested—but, like you, I’ve been working my buns off this weekend so I’ve been inside and bug-free.
    Hope we all get a break from work to at least enjoy our families and remember why we’re celebrating July 4th in the first place (aside from fireworks and bbq’s!).

lindsay — July 3, 2011 at 5:12 pm

the bugs are crazy here! its ridiculous! and I am working like a dog too. Shall we escape to the beach now? lets go blondie!

Maris (In Good Taste) — July 3, 2011 at 5:25 pm

I am a bug hater too. I have j=heard that listerine is actually a good bug repellent when applied.

Lauren — July 3, 2011 at 5:25 pm

I wish we had no bugs! They have been awful this year. Not sure why, but I’m so done with them.

Holly @ The Runny Egg — July 3, 2011 at 5:33 pm

Ugh — you know I live in mosquito land!!!

We have a BBQ to attend tomorrow, but today we were laying low and it was wonderful!

Kaitlyn@TheTieDyeFiles — July 3, 2011 at 5:34 pm

What a fascinating picture of fireworks!! I absolutely LOVE fireworks! We had some buggies when we went to see them, but no mosquitoes. Usually the mosquitoes are nasty here in Massachusetts. The boyfriend couldn’t handle it and put on bug spray, but I held out and luckily came out itch-free. I cannot STAND bug spray. It skeeves me out for the same reasons it does you!

Jess@HealthyExposures — July 3, 2011 at 5:57 pm

I’m jealous. You have perfect weather AND are bug-free. Grrr! haha. We have awful bugs here. Deer flies, gnats, mosquitos, horse flies, biting house flies – you name it. And ticks. Ew. The worst part is how they go after the horses. They make all kinds of fly sprays, but I haven’t found a single one that works. I hate that there’s just nothing I can do for my boy other than itch his itchies!
    i’ll have to look into the listerine thing that was mentioned.
    (and that fireworks pictures? uh. ma. zing.)

Shay — July 3, 2011 at 6:03 pm

No mosquitos?! So jealous right now. Here in PA they are in and around and out the wazoo! I use this bug spray called “Buzz Away,” which uses natural oils and in my opinion smells great! I highly recommend it.

Beth @ Persnickety Hall — July 3, 2011 at 6:41 pm

Sounds like perfect weather. Here in Texas its hotter than heck, and tons of bugs. Booo. :(

Lesley Lifting Life — July 3, 2011 at 7:16 pm

Mmm, I’ll take some of that watermelon please! ;)

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) — July 3, 2011 at 7:36 pm

Low humidity and no bugs?? I’m checking CL’s real estate right now! :)

You are so fantastic at outdoor photos. I suck at them, lol.

I love how you keep sweets in the freezer! That’s such a good idea, they won’t go stale then!

We have zillions of bugs here and I hate them!!! They get in everything. So annoying. :(

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — July 4th, 2011 at 2:01 am

move here. now. :)

you dont suck at outdoor pics!

i think they are wayyyyy easier and far more forgiving than food. Food…every crumb counts. Nature..not so much!

Steph! — July 3, 2011 at 7:44 pm

The mosquitos have definitely made their grand entrance here in MN. Of course, it’s only July, so I expect it will get much worse :) I’m envious of your bug free sanctuary in San Diego!!

Stephanie — July 3, 2011 at 9:06 pm

The bird of paradise is gorgeous! I’ve never seen a “wild” (ie. not in a pot) one before.

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — July 4th, 2011 at 2:02 am

really? I have a Huge TREE of them in my front yard and all around me in everyone’s yards, tons of B of P’s !

kris (everyday oats) — July 3, 2011 at 10:31 pm

Oh gosh…I absolutely HATE bugs! Mosquitoes can be so pesky and they always love me more than anyone else. I’m the only one that ends up getting bitten. I hate bug spray too, but sometimes I just have to use it. And the really strong kind too. I’m super envious of your bug-free beautiful weather!

Efka — July 3, 2011 at 11:06 pm

yeah, we have mosquitoes here, especially outside city, week ago we went to celebrate midsummer and my little girls, poor thing got so eaten by them as she never pushed them away. Her face was all eaten up, you cannot put anything on their little faces. :(

Michele Sparrow — July 3, 2011 at 11:13 pm

We are in Hawaii right now for vacation and my boys have been noshing on local, organic pineapple. I thought of you! They LOVE pineapple!

Growing up in Alaska, we used to call the mosquitos the Alaska state bird. They were huge and also hugely annoying. Of course, we would camp every summer and therefore, get completely bit up. Anytime we would go out at night in the summer, there they were, and of course that included July 4 celebrations. Living in Santa Cruz, we don’t really have the mosquitos, which is a huge plus!

Happy 4th to you and your family, Averie! :-)

Amanda Jewell — July 3, 2011 at 11:16 pm

I love that there are no mosquitos here! well maybe, like one for all of California so as you can imagine, it takes a long time for him to hit every city :-)
    Growing up in the south originally (New Orleans and Houston), mosquitos were as abundant as oxygen (maybe more..?) and the roaches lived in trees and were the size of rats.. not literally, but yea…they were big.

Hannah — July 4, 2011 at 3:27 am

Oh, look at that weather and that gorgeous summer fruit!

Yours sincerely,
    Crying In Canberra’s Winter

:P

natasha — July 4, 2011 at 4:27 am

My son always says that mosquitos must think he tastes like chips because they eat him up! My oldest daughter read in (National Geographic Kids? I think) a magazine that mosquitos are more attracted to people with stinky feet. Just our luck– all 3 of my kids have VERY stinky feet so maybe that’s why the mosquitos eat ‘em up!

I’m sticking with amanda– they are abundant here in NOLA.

Marla — July 4, 2011 at 6:58 am

I could seriously dive into all that juicy fruit right now…..have a GREAT July 4th with your family :) xo

Christine (The Raw Project) — July 4, 2011 at 8:44 am

Great post with so many yummy pictures, seriously getting hungry now. :-) Glad everything is okay and not too stressful.

1. Nope, our family party got canceled due to sick kids, so maybe a hike and fireworks later.
    2. Yes, we get masquitos and they all swarm to me for some reason. That was a horrible problem when I lived in Florida, they even bit right through thi clothes. I’ll wear spray and it has the be the awful stuff with deet it in that stinks, so I try to shower quickly after. The pretty smelling, light bug sprays just don’t work for me. Neither do outdoor bug candles.

Amber K — July 4, 2011 at 9:47 am

I used to get eaten alive as a kid, but I don’t get as many bug bites now. Mostly because I get to choose whether or not I’m outside now, and I very much prefer the indoors. Bug bites being just one of the many reasons!

No big party plans, but I have plans to run to the store to buy everything to make the clafoutis you posted. It looks delicious!

Lorin — July 4, 2011 at 1:57 pm

I feel you on the bug bites. Even though I’m from San Diego as well, when I was little I was floating on the Owens River near Bishop in California and a bug bit me on my eyelid. My eyelid swelled shut and I had to take medicine for it to go down. My eye was swelled shut for a couple days, and then when my parents said it wouldn’t happen again the following year, it did! Luckily that hasn’t happened again, but I’m NOT a fan of mosquitoes.. :)

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — July 4, 2011 at 11:44 pm

You are so lucky to not have mosquitoes. I seriously think the mosquitoes here are on steroids. They are repulsive, horrific, mutants trying to suck the life out of me. I have to use spray or else I will swell up like a monster. The bites that they leave can swell up to the diameter of a hamburger! It is disgusting. They are starting to bite right through the spray too. I am worried about camping for 10 days this summer because usually the mosquitoes are bad, but this year they are INSANE. I think I am going to have to walk around with a full body net – LOL!

Emma Jackson (L.I.F.E.) — July 6, 2011 at 11:15 am

I actually just heard of a bug repellant trick that seems to be working. Apparently, if you consume Brewer’s Yeast (aka: Nutritional Yeast) and other foods that are rich in Thiamine (supplements work too), mosquitos will stay away. According to my local Natropath, the Thiamine is excreted through the pores on the skin as sweat vapor and although we cannot smell it, mosquitos find the smell horribly unappetizing. I live in North Carolina, and so far, I’ve managed to stay bite free, even while running outside in wooded areas!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — July 6th, 2011 at 11:18 am

nutritional and brewers yeast are NOT the same thing, just fyi

they are grown and cultured differently. just want to point that out for anyone reading that for dietary paths or whatever purposes cannot ingest or have certain things, they are two different yeasts.

Emma Jackson (L.I.F.E.) — July 6, 2011 at 11:38 am

Yikes! Sorry for the mixup. I went into our healthfood store asking for Nutritional Yeast and came out with “Nutritional Brewer’s Yeast”. Again, I apologize.

eva @5fruitsNveggies — July 8, 2011 at 9:42 am

so behind on your posts because i was on vacation….
    this blog has inspired me to go out to my local thrift stores and just by random dishes–just because….no future career in food photography or recipe creations for me–i am in the planning phases of a website for a completely different industry….can live vicariously through your blogs ; )