Don’t Touch It

Tuesday evening I took over one last carload of things to our new pad before the movers get here early Wednesday morning.

I don’t want them touching things like:

My computer

Or difficult to deal with items like hanging clothes and clothes organizers

Can’t wait to fill up the closet!

And I definitely do not want them touching my cameras and lenses!

This is what My Beast of choice looks like

Being that I am using my iPhone for photos the past few days, you may understand why the iPhone has been handy after looking at the size of my normal camera body + lens

It’s quite a bit of camera, ykwim?   Go big or go home.  But it served me well in Mexico as well as in general.

We are only moving 1 mile.

Same zip code, same neighborhood, but whether you’re moving 1, 10, 100, or 1000 miles it really doesn’t matter too much.

Moving sucks.  Yes, longer distance moves are worse like many of our cross-country moves or our move back from Phoenix, I grant that.  But moving in general is not fun.

It was interesting from my last post to hear when the last time many of you moved was and it seems like many of you are moving, soon.  <–Good luck!

Skylar’s been having fun with it all, though.

She comes along, like a trooper, and “helps” me. Up and down the elevator 17 times.  Push the buttons, run up and down the hallway, take down empty boxes, bring up heavy/full ones.  Repeat.

Any mother will tell you she’s likely not as productive with the kind of “help” that comes in the 4-year-old variety and I could be much more efficient without said help, but hey, I have a helper.  At least she’s smiling!

I artsy’ed this image up in Lightroom with a preset called Color Creative – Bleach Bypass

From my last post, it was fun to hear what you’re been refueling with lately.

I think I’d like to refuel with some Butterscotch Rice Krispie Treats with Vegan Chocolate Frosting

I don’t have any on hand though.

Darn.  They are nobake and fast to whip up, though.

1. How far did you move in your last move?

A mile, a continent, somewhere in between?  Ours was from Phoenix to San Diego but as I mentioned, I’ve moved at least 25 times or more!

2. How protective or possessive of your things/possessions are you?

I admit, I hate it when people touch my stuff!

I really have to breathe.deeply to even watch movers manhandle my things.

Their grimy hands getting my clean things dirty.

Their brute force strength that is all power with no finesse and little attention to detail.

They don’t know, or care, that a certain item was really expensive and to please be extra careful with it.  Even if it’s not fragile, just humor me and show it some extra TLC.  But they don’t.

It’s not just movers that annoy me with touching my stuff.  Growing up, if my sister went into my room and touched my dolls, my toys, the way I had things organized, I absolutely hated it!

She’s more messy and disorganized and okay with clutter and things not in their place, which is opposite from me and so to have my possessions messed with, well, not a fan of that.

The present day equivalent of that would be someone else going in my kitchen and messing it up or not putting things back.

Just in general though if it’s mine, don’t touch it.  You can use it, you can have it, I will give it to you, but just give it back to me so I can put it back the way I had it, the way I want it, and I’ll clean in.   There, how’s that for brutal honesty.

So now, I am going to get some sleep and take lots of deep breaths as I watch the movers hopefully not damage anything!  (In my defense, part of this is quirkiness, but part of this is rooted in actual property damage that I have encountered time and time again in my many moves and you get pennies back on the dollar if you file a claim.  Not even worth it.)

P.S. Keep the $25 Giveaway entries coming!

50 Responses to “Don’t Touch It”

Jessica — July 13, 2011 at 2:21 am

My last move was about 200 feet from one apartment unit to the other. I thought that it would be “easy” because it was so close, so I barely did any pre-packing. I thought I could carry all of the small items over in plastic grocery bags. Boy was I in for a surprise! It was still a royal pain, just like any other move.

Sue @ Sue In Training — July 13, 2011 at 2:22 am

1. My last move was about 2.5 years ago. For me it was only about 10-15 miles, but for my BF it was more like 40. We both left our tiny apartments and moved into a (slighly) larger condo together. Oh my, combining two households is such a hassle! We had to through away or sell a lot of things that just didn’t fit into our new place. I miss my fancy, brand-new oven!

2. It depends on how much an item means to me. I would never ever let anyone touch my laptop! It’s expensive and contains my life! I’ve moved quite a few times in my life, but I’ve never had professional movers. We either had some friends help us out, or moved everything by ourselves. A few things got damaged or lost, but never anything serious. Lucky!

Hang in there, you’re almost done!

Maris(In Good Taste) — July 13, 2011 at 2:50 am

On my last move my dad drove a u-haul from New Jersey to Chicago for me. That camera is bigger then you! Can’t wait to see your finished place when you are all moved in

Jess@HealthyExposures — July 13, 2011 at 3:20 am

Whether it’s 1 mile or 1,000…everything’s still got to get packed up! I almost feel like moving farther is more “worth it,” but oh, well :P
    I’m very protective of my things, too. I know people don’t just try to break other’s things, but sometimes I wonder! haha. Of course…I scare customers all the time at work, making them think I’m going to break their camera. If only you could see some of the looks I get…
    Good luck today!! Can you see the light at the end of the tunne yet?

allison — July 13, 2011 at 3:36 am

Good luck on moving day!!! i am moving on August 1st and i am so so so excited about my new place!!! since my lease ends on the 31st and i cant move until the 1st we just might be doing it at midnight (!!!) which would actually work out best since its on a fairly busy road and a moving truck would take up all the spots on the road.

cathy — July 13, 2011 at 3:37 am

good luck today, averie! thinking of you and sending positive, calming vibes!!
    last move: was about 10k/6miles, so not that far. we moved ourselves, with help from my dad, because we could transition over gradually, too. i would not enjoy having pro movers touch my stuff…
    so cute that skylar was your helped. even having her push elevator buttons would be helpful! and nice that she didn’t have a meltdown, but stayed smiling!

Tasha @ Voracious Eats — July 13, 2011 at 4:15 am

Good luck today! Lots of deep breathing (and chocolate!) should help you out.

dragonmamma/naomi — July 13, 2011 at 4:49 am

The last move was a mere 3 miles, but it may as well be a hundred; the work is the same. We’ve never used professional movers. We’ve always done everything ourselves, with a bit of help from friends. Never broken or damaged anything other than a few kitchen dishes and a ghastly ceramic viking (Rob’s) that I was not the least bit sorry to toss away!

Kaitlyn@TheTieDyeFiles — July 13, 2011 at 4:53 am

So close to being done!!

My last move was about 2 miles, my mom and her boyfriend helped me get it done it two trips. I don’t have much stuff, but I definitely prefer people NOT to touch it! I’m always “directing traffic” when it comes to moving my things around!

Stefanie — July 13, 2011 at 5:00 am

My last move was 150 miles. It was from an apartment to a house. It wasn’t hard because it was just me living in the apartment and I had help. Moving has become a part of my life for some reason. My family seems to move every 5 years or so. You kinda get used to it after awhile. :-/

WIERDGREENMAN — July 13, 2011 at 5:45 am

Our family also has a lot of tech, and all handling of that stays with us. For some reason, sometimes people are not careful even when warned. Once I was going on an international trip with my violin. The checked-luggage lady put a FRAGILE sticker on the case, them dropped the case hard from 5 1/2 feet off the ground.

Holly @ The Runny Egg — July 13, 2011 at 5:55 am

I’m pretty possessive of my things too — I don’t want others touching, moving, etc. I take pride in my home and in my belongings and I want to keep them in good shape.

The last time I moved was from my parents’ house into Jason’s house — and that was only a 2-3 mile move, but it still sucks putting stuff on a truck and then unloading it.

The worst moving experience I have is when I helped my sister/brother in law move from Iowa to Oklahoma — they had so much (heavy!) stuff and it was basically me and my brother in law doing everything since my sister was 8 months pregnant! And it was 10000000 degrees in Oklahoma (or at least it felt like it!) when we unloaded the truck.

Good luck with everything today!

Katherine — July 13, 2011 at 6:39 am

I am very possessive of my…possessions. Last weekend, my fiance had some of his college buddies over for a few nights. We got home from a party around midnight, and one of the friends went into our (MY!) kitchen, and started rummaging through our fridge and pots and pans looking to cook something. He started making an omelet and I nearly flipped my lid. I didn’t want to come off as insane, because I’m not sure that would anger many people, but I was so furious I had to leave the room. My fiance saw the look on my face and understood that I was not pleased. He told me did understand why I was upset, and likened it to someone “going through my drawers”. It is that type of understanding that makes me happy to marry him :)

katie @ KatieDid — July 13, 2011 at 7:08 am

My last move was one street over. And I agree with you that even the close moves, are moves. It was a hectic day with 6 roommates… And all girls and no movers. It will feel SO good to be settled by later this evening I’m sure! Good luck with everything!

Mary @ food and fun on the run — July 13, 2011 at 7:18 am

I moved 2 weeks ago, only 1 mile away from my old place. I can definitely relate! I think that moving to a place so close is almost more diffcult, because I know that with me, I took a million little trips from place to place. It took way more time than it should have! But I can say that it definitely paid off in the end. I love my new place so much more than the old one! And it is finally starting to feel like home!

kristina@beancakes — July 13, 2011 at 7:32 am

haha! averie you’re so funny, i’m the same about being protective of my stuff. i hate it when movers get near my laptop and other things. my last move was cross country ~ CA to WI. what a pain, now i’m moving back to the west coast in a couple of weeks ~ i feel your pain. moving is so not fun. i wish i could be like skylar and smile more about it!!
    xx ~ kristina
    p.s. that camera is awesome!!

April @ Grits and Granola Bars — July 13, 2011 at 7:37 am

I am the same way. People touching my stuff just puts me on edge!

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite — July 13, 2011 at 7:49 am

Moving is the worst. I moved a year ago and hated every second. I still don’t feel totally settled in!

Kristina @ spabettie — July 13, 2011 at 8:22 am

my last big move was when I relocated to Sunriver Resort to build their spa + tennis club. They paid for my move, so I used movers to pack AND move me, but yes… I have things in each room of the house that I wanted to pack myself, and place in my car, not their truck. ;)

have a great day, Averie!! almost done!! :D

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen — July 13, 2011 at 9:05 am

My last move was only about 20 miles but the move before that was 1500, almost the length of the entire east coast!

mi-an — July 13, 2011 at 9:13 am

My last move was from NY to Cali… yes moving does suck!

I’ve been to Hillcrest before when I visited my gf. Totally love that area!

Amber K — July 13, 2011 at 9:19 am

The last time I moved was actually just across the parking lot, lol. We moved within the same apartment complex from a one bedroom into a two bedroom. Whew, that was far ;) But to be fair, the time right before that we moved from the apartment complex across the street. We had a three bedroom with a roommate who was moving across the country (turns out his move across the country got cancelled and all three of us lived in one-bedroom for awhile, not recommended!)

I have never used movers specifically because I really wouldn’t want people messing with my stuff! Plus…I am incredibly cheap. I am fully capable of boxing up and moving my own stuff, with possibly bribing a few strong friends with pizza, beer, whatever their choice.

Kendall (On An Inhale) — July 13, 2011 at 9:26 am

So true on the distance you move! I moved across the street. The only good thing was when we painted we could run back to the old place for a lamp etc. I’m glad Skylar is smiling through this! I brought my jewelry, laptop, camera and personal paper work over myself. Other than that I let the movers WORK! :)

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com — July 13, 2011 at 10:34 am

I share the same sentiments about my electronics (esp the laptop and cameras)! Loved reading your Mexico City recaps. So jealous you were in the company of Penny :D Hope to meet her some day, she is an amazing photographer!

Good luck with the move. Keeping fingers crossed for a smooth transition :)

Christine (The Raw Project) — July 13, 2011 at 11:02 am

Wow, thought you had a T2i also. You upgraded! Cute pics, hang in there during this move!

1. Not far, just a few miles from a temporary place to our house when it was finished. But most of our stuff was in storage from Florida.
    2. Mainly technology and pricey appliances.

Alex@Spoonful of Sugar Free — July 13, 2011 at 11:29 am

My last move was from Iowa to Florida. Culture shock much? and about 1400 miles….

Nitasha — July 13, 2011 at 11:40 am

Ugh I just moved this weekend due to a break-up (therefore no planning). SUPER stressful trying to figure out where to go, how fast to get out, and how I am going to seperate what was mine, his, and ours. I hate moving to begin with…then adding it to a relationship ending (though mutual and we are still friends) made it a bajillion times worse. I still have crap in my SUV, living out of boxes, and am now relying on the kindness of my family to take me in for a while.

Erica — July 13, 2011 at 11:54 am

Glad to hear the move is going well! And wonderful that Skylar is such a trooper through it all! Our last move was from MD to SC. It was an adventure for sure. I’m very glad to be settled….and hope to not move again any time soon. Those treats do look yummy! And no bake is so perfect for this time of year!

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) — July 13, 2011 at 12:50 pm

Could not agree with you more!!! All important items, like cameras, computers, documents, etc. go in the car with us. I don’t trust anyone not to break or lose something important to me. :)

Hope your move is going smoothly!

Hayley @ Oat Couture — July 13, 2011 at 12:52 pm

The last time we moved we went down a flight of steps and about 10 meters to the left! :) We just moved sideways within the same building! So glad we found another place here as the views are fantastic and we have friends in the block. I’m definitely the same with pricey things but also a bit funny about people manhandling my stuff in general. For now while we don’t have family sized amounts of stuff I prefer to do it myself. I’m sure this will change in a few years! ;)

Suzanne — July 13, 2011 at 1:09 pm

It’s just stuff. Really. Stuff. As in material objects. Keep on breathing those deep breaths. Wishing you serenity during the rest of your move!

Natalie — July 13, 2011 at 1:09 pm

I’m sitting at the bank as I read this post, waiting to sign paperwork for my first house I’m buying! I live on the north side of my city now, but moving to the south side. Only 30 away, but not looking forward to the actual moving process. Just cat wait to have a backyard for my 2 yr old to play in!

Jordan @ food, sweat, and beers — July 13, 2011 at 1:16 pm

Oh wow, what I wouldn’t give to “refuel” with rice krispy treats….

Alas, it’s a busy day of setting things up for my beau’s move, right around the corner (read: next month) and so the only fuel I’ll be getting is whatever I scrounge for dinner. Nothing quite like moving season to get you outta whack, body and mind!

Sarah @ Sarah's Modern Bites — July 13, 2011 at 1:18 pm

Ugh I have moved SO much over the past 6 years. I am now living back in Boston but have Arizona and Maine plates in the trunk of my car! I have a moving routine down pat haha and have been able to get rid of SOOOOO much stuff I never use! It feels good to pass along clothes and other items that aren’t being used to family members and friends that will use them! When I moved back to Boston, I drove from Tucson, AZ. That was a super long move!! And full of lots of ups and downs but was certainly a pretty awesome adventure! Everything that is near and dear to me I like to deal with myself. If it breaks it’s MY fault. I am protective over my electronics (computer/camera/ipod), and certain clothes, jewelry and special pieces of pottery and art work made for me by VERY dear friends from Maine.

Christina — July 13, 2011 at 1:21 pm

Ugh you are not lying! Moving sucks, no matter where it is. Especially when you don’t have hired help so good job on getting one!!!

Alexa @ Simple Eats — July 13, 2011 at 2:11 pm

Moving really is the worst. I think chocolate, caffeine and a little bit of alcohol ALWAYS helps. Good luck!

Melissa @ Dash of East — July 13, 2011 at 2:24 pm

I’m totally possessive over particular things too! Especially my MacBook Pro, if someone touches the screen I freak out. And my camera too, I cringe even when my husband uses it to take pictures! HA!

Good luck with the move! It’s almost done and you’ll be in your new home! :)

Juliette — July 13, 2011 at 3:21 pm

Last move was about 4 years ago and only about 15 miles from my old place. I totally agree with you whether you are moving 1 mile or 1000 it just sucks.
    I am a total control freak when it comes to my stuff. I like to be the one dealing with it, that way I know how its handled.

Jess — July 13, 2011 at 3:24 pm

I don’t like people touching my stuff either!! Especially my camera. It’s worth a lot to me ;)

Paige @ Running Around Normal — July 13, 2011 at 4:44 pm

Yep – 1 mile or 1,000 miles, it’s still all gotta be moved out and all gotta be moved in!

Deborah — July 13, 2011 at 5:51 pm

We moved into our current house almost 7 years ago, which was a move of 65 miles; previous 2 houses were about the same distance apart.
    For the last 3 months I have been staying in a temporary home almost 900 miles from my house. Not much in it. :) 9 months left here.

We’ve done all our moving ourselves. Not always fun!

Enjoy your new home. It looks beautiful and it is nice that you are only a mile from your previous home!

debby

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — July 13, 2011 at 8:25 pm

My last move was not to far – about a 3 minute drive from where I am now.

I am the same way with some of my possessions – some people just aren’t careful with others’ things.

Cassey @ Blogilates.com — July 13, 2011 at 10:37 pm

Just bought that same computer 2 days ago. My first ever mac. Precious! And no I would not feel comfortable either having movers touch my baby ;)