Food and Light

On Monday I am flying to Denver and then driving to Boulder because I am attending Food and Light!

What is Food and Light?

It’s a food photography workshop covering the fundamentals of photography including: exposure, manual controls, and lighting. Additionally, we will discuss composition, styling, and more advanced topics based on what participants want addressed. Lecture will only be a quarter of the workshop as we feel hands-on shooting and open discussion with instructors and fellow participants is an effective and enjoyable way to learn. The venue for the second day is in a restaurant setting, challenging attendees to work with variable light conditions and the dynamic environment.

It’s being held in gorgeous Boulder, Colorado and I can’t wait to meet the other 25 attendees who will be there!

I also can’t wait to meet the instructors

Todd & Diane of White on Rice Couple

Jen Yu of Use Real Butter

Matt Wright of Wrightfood

Last year my dear friend Marla (who I just saw for coffee last week) attended F & L and raved about it.  I am so excited!  I wish Marla was going again this year but I’ve read the attendee list for F & L and am so pumped to meet so many amazing bloggers and photographers who are going.

Ironically, I just got back from my Mexico City Photography tour with Penny de los Santos two and a half weeks ago and would have never chosen to take two such amazing trips back to back, but that’s the way things just work out sometimes.

Image from this post.  It was a meaty discussion, indeed.

Prior to Mexico City, I had been to the Real Food Styling & Photography Workshop that Matt and Adam held a earlier this year.

It was at that workshop that my life changed.

Similar to how yoga is just something I wanted to pursue, to practice, and something I just had to do and have in my life about 12 years ago when I first became a yoga teacher, at Matt and Adam’s photography workshop I realized the same thing about photography.

I realized that photography is something I want to pursue, to practice, to do.  It actually called and spoke to me me, I didn’t call it.  I didn’t even know how to use a DSLR until this year!  It was all about the Point and Shoot.

But once I got my DSLR, started reading everything I could about photography, food photography, food styling, and just practicing, practicing, practicing by taking as many photos every single day that I possible can, I realized photography is a calling and a passion I must pursue.

I wrote about a post about Goals, dreams, hopes, aspirations:  Career Fantasy & Doing What You Want

That’s why I am so incredibly pumped for F & L!   Being around others, whoa are likely as passionate as I am about photography, food photography and passionate about learning, growing, and challenging themselves to improve is so exciting!

Now I just have to pack.

I  know I will be bringing a camera.  And lipgloss.

I’m glad you enjoyed my Girly Mall trip post and all that MAC!

1. Have you ever been really excited for a class, event, or trip?  What was it?

When I was in school, classes were things I “had to” take.  I didn’t enjoy many of them.  Some were okay, but most were simply tolerated and endured.

Fast forward to now and I am so excited to take this class!

And, going to Denver and seeing Boulder and Denver are exciting as I’ve never been there and have heard they are stunning.  Not that I have extra time to just bee-bop around and sightsee but am looking forward to all the natural beauty!

2. Fun weekend plans, activities, or good food?

Sharing is caring.

Now if you’ll excuse me, I need some Vanilla Iced Coffee

and Flourless Peanut Butter Cookies

P.S. Thanks for the entries on the Summertime Cooldown Giveaway!

P.P.S. All of my photography related posts are linked in my Photography Section.  Everything from cameras, lenses, editing software, gear, classes, books, and my thoughts about why you don’t “need” a DSLR.  You need to practice and learn about composition, lighting, and so forth more than you “need” a fancy camera.  It’s all linked in that section.

69 Responses to “Food and Light”

Ellie@fitforthesoul — July 30, 2011 at 11:06 am

wowwieee this sounds so fun Averie! I hope you have a great time, and this really stuck to me! “Sometimes you just have to jump on the opportunities that present themselves, as they come, and worry about timing later.”

Lisa @ Fit in the Midwest — July 30, 2011 at 11:10 am

Oooh, I am jealous! That sounds like so much fun. Have a great trip and can’t wait to hear about it.

Hayley @ Oat Couture — July 30, 2011 at 11:35 am

Haha a ‘camera and lipgloss’ yep I think your all set! :D Hope you have an amazing time! It’s so important to recognise and follow your dreams! I’m excited for you!! :) I would say the most enjoyable class I have taken was one I took last year in London on Fashion Design. It made me truly happy, I lived and breathed it actually! :) Although circumstances have set me on a slightly different path now, It’s still something I will always practice in my spare time and may even go back to properly one day!

Tasha @ Voracious Eats — July 30, 2011 at 11:36 am

You have really come into your own as a photographer, A! Your work really speaks to me in a way that other food photography does not. It isn’t too ‘done’, it is real and natural and the dish looks inviting and delicious, not over styled and fake. You are basically amazing! You are going to have so much fun – enjoy!

Kat — July 30, 2011 at 11:42 am

It’s so exciting to see you pursue something so meaningful to you, and already you have such great talent. have fun at your workshop!

Angela (veggievinyasa) — July 30, 2011 at 11:46 am

Have fun! Colorado is stunning.

1. I love learning! I am looking forward to taking a one-day cooking class in Barcelona next month. My boyfriend and I took a cooking class in Morocco and it was one of our favorite experiences. We met locals and tourists, plus learned about the food and culture. I also love learning everything I can about yoga. I just finished up my 200 hour training and am hoping to do the 500 hours next.

2. Weekend plans: relax and get ready for my parents’ visit Sunday evening. They’re driving up fom Florida and staying a week.

Get Skinny, Go Vegan. — July 30, 2011 at 11:59 am

You’re really going for the photography thing. Good for you! Do I see a career change coming up??

• Baking N Books replied: — July 30th, 2011 at 12:03 pm

I think it’s happening now with the success of her blog!

On another note – your Avocado Ice Cream (from OSG’s post!) – is that one serving for the recipe? A full avocado for one person and the sugar?

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — July 30th, 2011 at 1:37 pm

Jenn I don’t really measure “servings”. Stop eating when you are full is how I measure a serving.

That said, I think that would be a pretty hearty portion if you made the recipe as is but to each her own!

• Baking N Books replied: — July 30th, 2011 at 1:59 pm

Oh yes, I know. I just wasn’t sure that if I wanted to make this for myself and a couple of people, how much would be enough or if I should add more…. Thank you for your reply though.

And don’t underestimate my ice cream eating skillz! :)

lee — July 30, 2011 at 12:00 pm

I wanted to say “amen!” to your P.P.S. comment, where you suggested that composition, lighting, etc. are more important than the fanciness of the camera. I have a DSLR that I am very slowly learning to use off of the Auto settings…but for years, I’ve taken pictures that I love with just a point and shoot. In fact, I regularly surprise people when they find out certain pictures were taken with a point and shoot. I wish more people understood that just because they spend thousands of dollars on fancy equipment doesn’t mean their pictures will automatically be good.

Have a fantastic time at your workshop, and travel safely. =)

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — July 30th, 2011 at 1:38 pm

Yes, it’s wayyyy more important to learn about the other things than to have a fancy camera. A fancy camera will only capture all your “mistakes” in very high resolution and extreme clarity. haha! :)

Jen @familyfoodfitnessandfun — July 30, 2011 at 12:02 pm

Sounds like a great class! I’m just getting into food photography, and so far, I’m LOVING it!

Christine (The Raw Project) — July 30, 2011 at 12:16 pm

That’s awesome, I hope you have a blast! Can’t wait to hear about it!

1. Sure, I get excited about any trip or opportunity to experience something new.
    2. Pretty mellow this weekend, shopping, running, and a movie.

Brandon @ Kitchen Konfidence — July 30, 2011 at 12:35 pm

Good luck with your trip! So jealous I can’t go. It’s going to be such an amazing experience.

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — July 30th, 2011 at 1:39 pm

I wish you could be there, too! Our day at Matt’s together *truly* was a life-changing day for me. Burned in my brain, will never forget it, life will never be the same. In a GREAT way, of course!

And I wish you were going, too!!

Winifred — July 30, 2011 at 12:46 pm

Hello! I recently stumbled across your blog, and I love your chocolate chia pudding recipe!

1. I’m starting law school in the fall, and I’m so excited about the entire experience!

2. Very low-key weekend involving lots of yoga, cooking, and reading!

Kristina @ spabettie — July 30, 2011 at 12:53 pm

ooh, I was wondering if it was another fun photography workshop!! one of the first blogs I ever read was Jen’s (URB) and would so love to be going to this! I cannot wait to follow along on your adventure – so excited for you Averie!

charlotte — July 30, 2011 at 12:59 pm

Squee! I’m so excited for you to go! You are already an amazing photog (seriously – that pic of the woman with the tortillas is stunning) so I’m excited to see what new techniques you learn to take it to the next level!

kelli — July 30, 2011 at 1:00 pm

hey averie! your photographs are stunning! how inspiring! go girl!=)

vanilla iced coffee and pb cookies? *droool*

xoxoxo

melody polakow: Vegan for 3.33 a day — July 30, 2011 at 1:37 pm

omg.. what I would give to be able to attend these types of workshops… wow! Have fun!!

Can’t wait to hear all about it

sam — July 30, 2011 at 2:18 pm

Oh that looks so amazing! Definitely jealous over here. Can’t wait till you come back and show us all of your snazzy new photos!!

Juliette — July 30, 2011 at 2:25 pm

Oh, you will love Boulder. It has such a relaxed, down to earth feel. Have fun!

No, I haven’t been really excited for a class in a very long time, but I am excited to go down to Key West, FL next month. Yay!

PS – I just read your post on “Career Fantasy & Doing What You Want” and it has really made me think about what I really want to do or am meant to do. You are a very inspiring women. Thanks for the great posts & recipes:) Yum!

Paige @ Running Around Normal — July 30, 2011 at 2:28 pm

That sounds like so much fun!! You are going to be the food photog masstahhh!

cathy — July 30, 2011 at 2:30 pm

wo, oh wow!! what a fantastic opportunity for you, averie!
    i would soooo love to visit boulder, too – have heard it’s a wonderful place.
    i think it’s so great how photography has just grabbed you – you’ve made leaps and bounds in terms of your skill development – can’t wait to see what happens after this trip!
    “It actually called and spoke to me, I didn’t call it. – > yes, i believe this happens, too. it’s all about being open to new ideas, eh!

Maris (In Good Taste) — July 30, 2011 at 2:54 pm

Your photos are so fantastic now I can only imagine how they will look after this trip. Have a wonderful time and a safe trip. Keep posting tho or I will miss you!

Carey @ Positively Blonde — July 30, 2011 at 3:04 pm

I went to Boulder a few years ago, it’s beautiful! Make sure to go to Pearl Street and do some hiking!

Michaela — July 30, 2011 at 3:09 pm

I am sooooo happy for you, Averie!!
    That is some photography year :)
    Enjoy it. Looking forward to even better pictures ;)

Amy Fox — July 30, 2011 at 3:49 pm

That’s awesome that you’re coming to my neck of the woods! Although I live up near Winter Park in the mountains, the Denver/Boulder area is also a great place to visit. I’ve been following you for quite some time, and love your carefree sprirt and how it crosses over in your foods and pics. Welcome to Colorado, and have an awesome time!

Amy

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — July 31st, 2011 at 11:32 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome, Amy!

Stefanie — July 30, 2011 at 3:56 pm

I was excited for a couple of my classes in high school. They were my senior year of english and vet assisting class. My favorite classes were taken in culinary school because I got to bake almost everyday. It is fun to take a class when it is something you want to learn.

As for weekend plans, I will be working an early shift (5-12 )Sunday and napping the rest of the day.

I look forward to hearing how your trip and class went. I’m sure you will have a great time and learn a lot from some very talented people.

Heather (Where's the Beach) — July 30, 2011 at 5:57 pm

Awesome. Love how much you are loving photography! I love it, but just not patient enough to really pay attention to learn it properly.

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen — July 30, 2011 at 5:59 pm

Averie- I had no idea you just started photography with your DSLR this year! Your photos are always so amazing I thought you’d been at this for years! Super impressed now :)
    Enjoy Denver, sounds like it will be a great time.
    PS-I’d love to know some of the food styling/food photography books you’ve read that you’ve found most helpful. Only being about 2 months into it myself, I’d love to read up and learn all I can!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — July 30th, 2011 at 6:34 pm

Well after 2 years of taking about 100 pics on a day on my point and shoot, I figured I had “earned” the right to buy a DSLR. Bought it in Jan and then bought another camera body, the 5D, a few months after that.

Go to photography tab that i linked

and look it over but you must get Plate to Pixel and also read read read anything you can online, read photography blogs. they exist!! And TAKE 100+ pics per day. At least 50+. PRACTICE!!! :)

Brooke — July 30, 2011 at 6:39 pm

Wow! Isn’t it amazing to feel consumed with passion for something new? I LOVE that feeling! For me, it’s running. I started running with a friend and before long the girl who never ran a mile did a 10 miler this past April. I’m signed up for my first half-marathon in October – and I am so excited!

Brooke

Ali @ Urbanfruitbat — July 30, 2011 at 9:50 pm

It is so clear that you have a passion for photography. I am so happy that you love learning about it to, as well as having the opportunity to! I wish you the best trip ever! I feel the same way you do about yoga, it just kinda picked me.

Pam — July 30, 2011 at 10:01 pm

I caught the title of this post on Facebook, and I was like, where’s Averie going NOW? LOL…
    So happy for you! The growth on your blog has been amazing!

• Pam replied: — July 30th, 2011 at 10:07 pm

Haha, I meant the title of the Post with “Pack” in it, not this post. You and packing have had quite the relationship lately!

Efka — July 31, 2011 at 3:50 am

just pointing out, that got my DSLR link is not working.

Camera+ lipgloss combo is a must

Diana @ VeggieNextDoor — July 31, 2011 at 10:15 am

I love your blog! After reading about all of the fun you had on your mexico city photo hunt and food photography workshops, I’m inspired to start looking for some (beginner’s) photography classes locally.

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — July 31st, 2011 at 11:32 pm

thanks and yes, find some classes but also just shoot every.single.day. Tons of pics, just practice! :)

Emily — July 31, 2011 at 12:09 pm

Oh gosh, I want some of that iced vanilla coffee right now.

Victoria @ The Pursuit of Hippieness — July 31, 2011 at 2:05 pm

Have an amazing time in Colorado! I’ve never been, but I’m DYING to go!

Elizabeth — July 31, 2011 at 6:02 pm

What a wonderful opportunity, I hope you have safe travels and an amazing class!!! Sounds so thrilling. I would love to learn about photography, perhaps when the 5 kiddos get a bit older–so much right now b/t raising them and teaching them at home, makes me tired just typing about it :)
    The most I got excited about a class was my Raw Chef course at Creative Health Institute this past March–so very exciting!!! Loved it! Weekend plans: vac the pool, make raw carrot crackers, organize and clean.
    Peace and Raw Health,
    Elizabeth

katie @ KatieDid — July 31, 2011 at 6:06 pm

I am so excited to see and hear what you learn in CO. Your really going for this passion, and it’s so inspiring to see it happen!

Katie — July 31, 2011 at 8:08 pm

I so remember when you were all about the P&S an poo-pooing the DSLRs. Your photography, I don’t need to tell you, has come SO FAR. iTs seriously like night and day. In such a great way. It is obvious from your photos and the way you talk about this that you are truly passionate. I wish you nothing but success!

And Boulder is amazing. I love it there. I wish I lived there actually.

ashley @ cooking for john — July 31, 2011 at 9:25 pm

that sounds like a blast, boulder is awesome! so many delicious spots to eat! enjoy!!

Lisa P — July 31, 2011 at 9:34 pm

Hey Averie-
    I realize I’m coming in on this really late, but I wanted to say, as a Denver-ite, welcome to Colorado and I hope you have a wonderful time here! I’m sure your schedule is jam-packed- BUT-If you are bored and/or not too busy, there is a restaurant in Denver that does raw, vegan, gluten-free prix fix meals on the first Tuesday night of ever month. I will be there on Tuesday- it’s Root Down in the Highlands, probably 30 minutes from Boulder. rootdowndenver.com. We have a great community here and I’m sure you’ll enjoy your BRIEF but fun stay! Also, Mt. Sanitas in Boulder is a great hike. Have fun and stay hydrated- it’s hot out here! :)

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — July 31st, 2011 at 11:31 pm

Lisa, thanks for the info! If I was going to have ANY extra time I would have put out a call to Denver/Boulder peeps but it’s gonna be a whirlwind..in Mon p.m., class Tues and Wed, home late Wed afternoon.

Kaitlyn@TheTieDyeFiles — August 1, 2011 at 7:48 am

How do you come across these workshops??? I’d love to attend one sometime. I’m LOVING photography and I just can’t get enough! Have a good flight and a fantastic trip, I know you’ll have a blast. I’m really looking forward to seeing your photos when you get back!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — August 1st, 2011 at 10:40 am

just reading tons of blogs, photography blogs, and keeping an eye out but it’s taken me awhile b/c most of them are not well publicized in advance.

Alyna — August 1, 2011 at 10:51 am

Just wanted to let you know that I am now addicted to making iced coffee. I, being a tea drinker, am addicted to coffee. I turn 32 in October and have never enjoyed the stuff. I am the only one in my family who does not drink it and I do get made fun of when we’re all together. And yet, when I first saw your pictures of iced coffee, I could not resist trying one. It just looked so refreshing. Yummmmm…..I blame you for my lack of sleep ;o) Have fun in Colorado!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — August 3, 2011 at 12:22 pm

I would love to take a class like that!!! So awesome!