Mexico City

When I announced that I was moving, I alluded to a part two.

There is a reason why the timing of the move is just especially awful.  Over and beyond the fact that moving is always awful, even under normal circumstances and my circumstances for this move were anything but normal.

What is the part two?

I’m leaving the country for four days to go to Mexico City on a photography workshop with the amazing and talented Penny de los Santos!

Yes, in the middle of my landlord giving us 30 days to be out of our current place, finding a new place with very few choices, trying to pack, pre-moving in, this once-in-a-lifetime trip that I’ve had planned for months just happened to fall mid-chaos.  When it rains it pours.

I am so excited for my trip.  I have been wanting to blog about it forever, but decided to just hold off and surprise you all until I was hours away from departure.

I never in my wildest dreams imagined that I’d be moving right now, too.

I am trying to prevent the chaos and stress of life on the homefront from clouding or possibly minimizing any of the sheer joy, anticipation, excitement, giddiness, happiness, and just overall sense of awesomeness that this trip is all about for me.

I cannot wait to travel to the outdoor markets, and make photos, with Penny as my guide, teacher, and mentor.  She is a world class, award winning photographer and a senior contributing photographer at Saveur Magazine, she’s shot for National Geographic, and has shot in many countries around the world.

I am honored and humbled and words cannot express the sheer joy I have leading up to this trip and to spend time with such an accomplished photographer and also amazing person.   I linked to an amazing video she made, here that shows the type of human being she is.

Penny is everything I try to emulate as a photographer and as a person.  She was an enormous source of inspiration for my career fantasy & doing what you want post.  I don’t know exactly what or how my career path will ultimately unfold, but if it’s anything like what Penny has built and achieved, I would be thrilled.

And so, I trust in the power of the mind.  Mind over matter.

It’s all in my mind and in my attitude:  I will not let any of the chaos and stress of life on the homefront due to our move deter me one iota from having the trip of a lifetime and phenomenal experience that I’ve planned on and waited for so eagerly!

The boxes will be waiting for me when I get back.

And 30 hours after I am back on American soil, movers show up and will move us into our new place.

image 2 image 3

image 0image 3

And I’m so glad I’ve done lots of pre-moving in with carloads that I’ve brought over.  It will make the actual move so much easier.

And then, the whirlwind of these very, very crazy 3 weeks will be hopefully coming to a conclusion.

I better pop a few No Bake Chocolate Chip and Coconut Cookie Dough Bites for some energy!

From my last post about Snappy Crunch, most of you seem to love sugar snap peas as much as I do.  Fun to hear what you like to dip them into, too.

1. Have you taken any trips recently?

I was just in Aruba.

And I was there over Christmas, too.

Honestly, had I known when I booked this trip to Mexico City that my life was going to be in the state of upheaval that it actually is in right now, I would have never booked this trip to Mexico City.  Especially since I knew it was so close to the heels of my last Aruba trip, but trips seem to cluster up.  I don’t travel for ages, and then, all of a sudden, multiple trips.

But I am so glad things worked out the way they did and that I booked it.  Honestly, this trip, and having it to look forward to, has kept me sane, grounded, focused, and inspired the past few months (and the past crazy week!) and for that, I am so grateful!

2. Do you have any trips planned?  Or what was the last trip, workshop, conference, or event that had you really excited?

I posted about trips, workshops, and conferences recently.  About what’s on my horizons and what I’d like to do and some maybe trips or events.  Not sure yet how things will pan out, but I do have a couple things on the books that I am excited about!

The last event that really had me super pumped was my Real Food Styling Photography Workshop (one of the best things I’ve ever done!)

And this trip to Mexico City has me extremely excited!

3. Do you believe in mind over matter?  That what you tell yourself has a big impact on how you will ultimately feel or handle a situation, challenge, or interact with others?

I am a huge believer in this.  A positive mental attitude is everything.  If you tell yourself your life sucks, you’ll never get through something, this or that is “ruined” because something else happened, an interchange with a certain person is going to be doomed, you know what, things probably will suck, won’t work out, and everything will be pretty miserable.  A self-fulling prophecy, for sure.

Although I am not Suzy Cheerleader all the time, when the chips are down and it would be easy to throw in the towel, quit, bail, get my undies in a bundle, or just otherwise turn into a total grump, I have learned to smile, dig down deep, find my strength and poise and grace and just stay positive and tackle the tasks at hand, even if I don’t like what’s happening.  Fake it til you make it, if nothing else.

There’s also The Secret and Laws of Attraction.  You attact what you put out there.  Put out positive energy, you will get positive things back.  Put out negativity and that’s what you will attract.  Now, of course, there are exceptions to this, but in general, I do believe in all of this.

What do you think?

And with that, I am off to Mexico City Friday morning at 4am!  I will be blogging as much as possible because I do have internet access in my hotel room but my first priority is to live life first, blog about life second.  You understand.

Hasta luego!

98 Responses to “Mexico City”

shannonmarie (rawdorable) — July 7, 2011 at 11:47 am

Wow. I can’t believe you’re moving again during the time I’ve been following your blog. Crazy. Hopefully, it will all be for a good reason. Keep us posted.

Sugar snap peas are popular in this household, too. Hayden can’t get enough of them :-)

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — July 7th, 2011 at 12:39 pm

yes you’ve known me from san diego to phx, phx to san diego, and intra-san diego. CRAZY, huh!

• shannonmarie (rawdorable) replied: — July 7th, 2011 at 12:56 pm

That’s right. I’m still in the same place. That’s crazy. Good luck. I’m thinking about ya.

Cakewhiz — July 7, 2011 at 12:07 pm

I know how stressful things must be. Hubby and i are apartment- hunting and it’s been a pain. It seems like there is not even one decent place to live.
    Good luck with the move and your trip to mexico. You are so lucky to be learning from such a great photographer :)

charlotte — July 7, 2011 at 12:10 pm

Oh yes, did I ever just take a trip! We just got back from camping in Colorado and I just have to say that even going to the grocery store with four wee ones feels like an excursion so this trip has wiped me out for a month. I am so jealous of all your travels though! Your aruba pics were gorGEOUS and I can’t wait to see what you learn in your workshop! So fun to see you grow in this:)

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — July 7th, 2011 at 12:40 pm

Oh and your comment reply to me about the travel skirt…yes that is the first skirt I have had in years and I am loving it! :)

And your trip..so happy you had it and loved it!

Hayley @ Oat Couture — July 7, 2011 at 12:17 pm

Our last holiday was last month and we went to New York! Loved it! :) It’s funny though because we were in exactly the same situation as you! Our landlord suddenly decided we had to be out and so we ended up moving the day before our trip! Literally the last boxed was moved as our taxi pulled up to take us to the airport! :/ Although luckily we managed to find an apartment within the same building so not as bad as it could have been! Anyhoo have a great trip! Can’t wait to see all your new photos! :)

Hayley @ Oat Couture — July 7, 2011 at 12:18 pm

Oh, and I absolutely believe in mind over matter! :)

Courtney @ girlinthepink — July 7, 2011 at 12:40 pm

Your trip sounds amazing, what a wonderful opportunity!

We just took a trip to your town, San Diego! My husband is ready to move there!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — July 7th, 2011 at 12:41 pm

it only takes once, and everyone wants to move to San Diego. That was me, 7 yrs ago. And I DID IT! :)

Ali @ Urbanfruitbat — July 7, 2011 at 12:43 pm

Wow! I hope you have an AMAZING trip! Forget all about your stuff at home and just do the Mexico thing right. It may secretly be perfect timing that you are plucked out of the chaos right now! I really believe in mind over matter. In yoga I know if I tell myself I can’t do a posture I for sure will not be able to. If I say I can, there is a much greater chance that I will! Same goes for all of life. If you say you can, you most likely are right! Also, this to shall pass, is a helpful little mantra!

O.C. — July 7, 2011 at 12:52 pm

Your new house looks so stunning! Have fun on your trip :)
    I’m actually on a trip right now in Boston for my internship! And I totally elieve in the power of mind over matter. You can’t control every situation but you can control how you react to it.

Kendall (On An Inhale) — July 7, 2011 at 1:06 pm

It will all be over with soon! I finished YTT the 26, Closed the 27th, Painted the 27th-29th, and officially moved the 30th. It is brutal but now it is completely in the past. I can’t imagine moving with a child though. My boyfriend and I were both saying that the whole time we were doing all of this. I guess have a few babysitters on hand for the real crazy days! Good luck and enjoy your trip! Spa day after you are settled is a must!

Alex@Spoonful of Sugar Free — July 7, 2011 at 1:21 pm

OHMGOSH! So MUCH FUN! You will have a blast, and it will totally be worth it! I can’t wait to see the recaps and pictures!

and…I haven’t been anywhere special lately. I am always taking weekend trips for tournaments, but no vacations really. I am, however, going to Denver in August for a family reunion :D Fun!

Jessica — July 7, 2011 at 2:20 pm

Congratulations on such a wonderful opportunity! Best wishes for a smooth move! :)

CH — July 7, 2011 at 2:45 pm

Have fun! It sounds like it truly will be a once in a lifetime trip for you. Great news!

My whole life is a trip right now, lol. In the last month and a half I’ve been in London, Paris, Barcelona, the Pyrenees, and now Provence. In a few weeks I’ll go to Venice and Florence then back to Paris and London. Crazy, I know. But it has been the adventure of a lifetime, and I think now (before I get my real job) is the only time in my life I’ll really be able to do it, so hey, I just went for it. Chaos all around, but I have also learned SO much!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — July 7th, 2011 at 4:38 pm

so happy you have DONE this.

when you are married off with 2 kids and a job and a mortgage payment, you will thank you lucky stars you did this…trust me :)

Sonia @ Master of Her Romaine — July 7, 2011 at 7:23 pm

Hola! can’t wait to hear about the workshop- I looove Mexico!

Marcia @Frugal Healthy Simple — July 7, 2011 at 9:35 pm

We just spent a week in Arizona…a couple of days in the Grand Canyon, camping. A night in Page (and a rafting trip down the Colorado). A night in Phoenix (Gilbert, actually) after visiting a friend. A night in Tucson visiting the hubby’s relatives.

Next trip is a business trip, my first in 4 years. I’ve always wanted to go to food-type conferences, but never have. Instead, I’m going to SEMICON (semiconductor conference) in San Francisco. Woo hoo! Good old geek stuff.

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — July 7, 2011 at 10:33 pm

Your new place looks so nice!!!!!

The last trip I went on was NY in April, and we have a few trips planned/tentatively planned, including Vegas in September, somewhere hot in February, and NY again in April.

I am not very good at mind over matter … but I try!

Joy — July 10, 2011 at 4:51 am

I am on vacation right now and I move in 2 1/2 weeks. The stress of selling one house and buying another made me sure I needed a vacation :-)