Moving

I alluded in a recent post to things that you wouldn’t believe and that you just couldn’t even make up, and that life has thrown me some curveballs recently.

Well, here’s the situation…

We moved into our current place in early June 2010.  Here was my first post from San Diego on June 1o, 2010.  I was so excited to be back in San Diego after 9 horrible months in Phoenix.

Our current lease was up June 1, 2011.

We got a phone all and then a letter from our landlord last week saying that he has to sell our townhouse and that we have 30 days to be out.

I am sure the legalities of this are questionable and I am sure that we technically have “rights” but in reality I don’t have time, money, or energy to tangle and fight and get involved in any legal situations when in reality what’s probably happening is that our landlord is probably not making his mortgage payments.

And in reality I wouldn’t be surprised if any day there’s a notice of trustee’s sale given and taped on our front door and 72 hours later our house in reality  is auctioned off at city hall.

I’d rather not be living here waiting around for that and debating the fine points of the law and what our “rights are”.  I’d rather just be gone.

So moving it is.

The major issues with moving have been:

The lack of suitable 3 bedroom properties in the area of San Diego I want to live in.  As in, almost none.  I stalked Craigslist like it was my job for a four day period and just missed three different properties.   I was in tears most of last week.

Thank God, at 4pm Friday going into the 4th of July long holiday weekend, I found a place.  It wasn’t even supposed to be “mine”; but someone else failed to come back and give their security deposit so it became mine.  Thank.God.

However, coming up with the 1st months rent on the new place + 1 months rent as security deposit + paying rent on the current place + the security deposit on the current place that is still tied up = very large sums of money needed.   That wasn’t planned for.  At.All.

Thank God I have a savings plan and am debt free.  <–That was one of the best new year’s intentions/resolutions/goals, ever.  It just saved us, big time.   I mean who can come up with all that cash out of no where if you don’t have some savings?!  Seriously stressful!

So, from the time I found out we had to move to finding a place it was 6 days.

And we are moving into a new place one week from today, Wednesday.

The entire 4th of July weekend where I alluded to how hard I was working I was actually donating, decluttering, trashing, and packing.

My “Holiday” Weekend.  Some holiday, eh?

Scott took Skylar to lots of parks and the zoo and got lost with her, and I stayed home and for 3 days, lived, breathed, and packed.

This was our garage: Empty boxes that I had accumulated the past year (they came in handy!) and random crap that needed to be donated.

Everything from computer boxes to stroller boxes was all just waiting for me to deal with.

And here was one car load of donations.

We made five stuffed carloads full of donations to the thrift store.

No time for the luxury of selling things on Craiglist or time for a yard sale, and not enough storage space in the new place to bring it all with (nor do I want to,) so I donated so much.

5 huge car loads of stuff.  Ba-bye.

But I single-handedly have done 98% of all the packing for all our other moves, too, so I am a pro.  I wish I wasn’t a moving pro.  I’d rather be a pro at anything else but moving!

I’d rather just do it and know it’s been done right.  And that way on the other side, I can unpack easily because I know how it was all packed and what was put where.

I hate the way that moving makes me feel so out of sorts, so disorganized, clutter everywhere, nothing is in it’s place.

The process of moving is 1oo% the antithesis of the way I am wired and in which I operate the best and in which I thrive: calm, order, neat, clean, everything in its place.

When you’re moving, nothing is neat, clean, orderly.  It’s just a hurricane!

And the work.  The sheer physical work of moving.  From finding boxes to making them up to packing them, sorting and donating what I don’t want, up and down stairs 50 times a day, lifting things, awkward angles and crawling in cabinets and digging out forgotten-about kitchen appliances to standing on step ladders trying to get things down off high shelves and get it ready to be moved.  It’s all so much work!

I have moved so.many.times.  I did not want to move!  I love our current place and would have stayed here indefinitely.

But, I really love the place we’re moving into!

It’s 1.1 miles from our current place, so not far at all.  The vibe of the city is a bit different there, as can happen in urban areas, where mere blocks can change the essence and aura and vibe, but it was the only thing available and so I had to jump on it.  And I do really like it but there are a few things like not having our own private garage and being in an elevator building with a child that I don’t love but hey, the granite countertops and hardwood floors and 2009 construction should make up for that.

The other major issue with moving is the timing.  There is never a good time to move.  But truly, this move could not have come at a worse time.

Just putting the rest of my life on hold (missing work, missing 4th of July holiday events, etc.) while I scramble and pack is one thing, but there’s part two to this story of why the timing is atrocious….

…To Be Continued.

1. Do you like where you live?

I love it as I’ve posted about.

Even with the cost of living, San Diego is 100% my forever home.

And my home in Aruba, too, will be my other forever place and home.  Yes, I own in Aruba, rent in San Diego.  Go figure.

2. Have you moved much in your life?

I have moved tons and I don’t want to move again!

Previous moves:

Childhood moves within the Minneapolis area

Went to college in Minneapolis and St. Paul area and must have had at least 10 different dorms and apartments

Moved to Chicago after college and lived in at least 6 different places in the city and burbs

Moved to NC

Moved to SC

Moved to San Diego and lived in 4 places

Moved to Phoenix

Moved back to San Diego 9 months after being in Phoenix (wasn’t my cup of tea) and am in current place, about to move into the next one.  So six different addresses in San Diego.

I am sick of moving!  I want to put down roots.  The market is too volatile here in San Diego to even think about buying, but the downside of renting is being at the mercy of landlords.  They all tell you when you sign your lease that they have no intentions of selling.  Til they tell you a year later, hey by the way,   am selling and you need to move.

So, that’s why life has been crazy for me!

I didn’t want to blog about it until I even found a place and had a signed lease and keys in my possession.  That happened Tuesday morning.

Moving truck comes in 1 week.

But in the meantime, I actually took over two, huge, stuffed carloads of stuff to the new place and spent 8 hours schlepping, sweating, and unpacking.  The unpacking felt great!

I’m off to pack some more.

And There’s Part 2 to this too…

122 Responses to “Moving”

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen — July 6, 2011 at 1:33 am

I’m like you, I need calm and order to be at my best. Chaos is not my friend and moving has to be one of my least favorite things to do along with packing. I’m sorry to hear that you had to scramble like that.

Anne — July 6, 2011 at 2:05 am

I feel like saying oooh, and ohhh-nooo, but I really understand your approach: practical and get on with it, and just be gone: fighting a land lord, who needs that energy drain, and it probably would turn out very much sub-optimal no matter what, so. I wish you the best of luck and plenty of energy for this move – and amen to thank GOD for a sensible economic plan. I’m so glad I took you up on that advice, even if I’m not where you are yet. At least the pre-paid rent is coming back to you.

The first six years or so of moving away from home I moved about a gazillion times, so I know how it’s good luck/bad luck when you have to move shortly after having moved…I’m SO happy for you that you found another place that you like, and I hope it more than lives up to expectations. My parents have lived for about twenty years where they live now and I sometimes ask them if they’re moving closer to the city, but they love their place – and I always tell them, who knows, maybe there’s somewhere else you’d love MORE? I just realised I’ve been living maybe nine years where I live now and it just about gives me the creeps – but if you HAVE to move it’s never funny, just stressfull. Hope it turns out well.

I actually popped by to say thanks (again? I just gushed you the other day, I promise I’ll give it a break, now ;-)) cause I made my first home-blended iced coffee. I hope you have time for one too, one of these days. All the best and hope you all stay healthy and happy. Anne.

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — July 6th, 2011 at 2:06 am

so glad you’re enjoying the iced coffees :)

and thanks for all your awesome comments. they always make me smile and nod in agreement with what you write.

hang in there w/ all your health challenges you’ve got going on, okay!

Maris(In Good Taste) — July 6, 2011 at 2:11 am

I am so like you. I feel all frazzled and out of when when my life is not calm and organized. You certainly have it under control and are a sensational role model for Skylar. Hang in there-it will be over soon and you will be all settled in

GirlonRaw — July 6, 2011 at 2:26 am

Oh darling I have moved plenty too, both as a child and an adult. I went to 11 schools growing up (dad was military) and then as an adult I’ve live abroad for the past 6 years, plus I have been a flight attendant for the last 8 – 10 so I’ve always lived out of a suitcase/boxes haha.

Your packing puts me to shame and even thought you say you like order etc, you seem to do the packing bit so well.

You would think I am an expert but nup, I still am no better at it each time I do it, and yes I hate it too.

Good luck girl and would you vote for me in HOT RAW CHEF? x

Jenny$1983 — July 6, 2011 at 2:44 am

You are one level-headed mama! I sincerely admire you: I bet you’ll make your new place a beautiful home in no time :)

Jess@HealthyExposures — July 6, 2011 at 2:54 am

You stayed so much more collected in this process than I would have. I so admire your dedication, and I’m betting you’re going to make somebody very happy with all those donations. I know it’s stressful, but soon, this will all be in the past!
    I hate moving, too. I haven’t done it as often as you, I am sure – but more than once is more than enough! haha.
    As for liking where I live – yes. I know I grumble all the time like “wow, I wish we had such nice _____” to you when you post about your restaurants, farmers markets,g rocery stores, etc…but fact of the matter is, I am not a city girl. I’d enjoy it for a couple days, but I need my trees, fields and horses. Besides, I save money not eating out every day :P
    Hang in there – the end is in sight!

Jackie — July 6, 2011 at 2:56 am

Oh yikes. What chaos! Glad things worked out in the end, but can’t imagine the stress you went through trying to find a place with such short notice.
    1. I hate the city I live in. And “hate” isn’t even a strong enough word. My apartment, on the other hand, is fine. Cozy and comfy and mostly quiet. Miss my last apartment though – in an 1860’s house, full of character and charm, and in a perfect location.
    2. Only moved a handful of times, and will be moving out of the city in November, and possibly to yet another city in the spring. Never liked the whole process, but it’s a good excuse to get rid of a lot of junk.
    Good luck!

VeggieGirl — July 6, 2011 at 3:01 am

I wish I could help you directly!

I like where I live only because of who is here. I’ve lived in the same house since I was 2, and the house before that is only a few streets away.

Tasha @ Voracious Eats — July 6, 2011 at 3:10 am

YOU POOR THING! I am so sorry to hear about all this stress. What an insane amount of work and stress in such a short time. I am really relieved that everything is working out, though. Keep your chin up Averie!

I LOVE where I live. It isn’t perfect, but it’s home. We would like to continue living here for a while longer at least, but Saudi Arabia is very unpredictable with who they allow to stay living here so we never really know from one year (or even month!) to the next. I don’t operate well with unknowns, like AT ALL, but I’m learning to deal. It’s a lot different living here as an adult than it was growing up here as a kid, that’s for sure.

And oh boy yes have I moved a lot. We’ve lived on 4 different continents, and dozens and dozens of different countries, but most of the time we’ve stayed here in Saudi. There has just been a lot of moving in a short time.

GOOD LUCK!

cathy — July 6, 2011 at 3:18 am

holy cow, averie. what a story. i’m kinda scared to see what part 2 will be about?!
    but i give you full credit for just taking a deep breath and doing what had to be done. to have no notice, to have to find a place asap…wow, that is so stressful. i’m just glad you found something that you can move into next week.
    “I’d rather just do it and know it’s been done right.” – > totally agree with you. i’m the first to say i don’t delegate well! :)
    all the best as you continue to pull things together.
    i LOVE LOVE LOVE where i live and hope to never move again (although never say never)…have not moved a whole lot of times in my life (maybe five, total) but hate the process, too.
    good luck with your day today!

Tara — July 6, 2011 at 3:41 am

Hi Averie,

I’ve never commented before, but I’ve been a reader for awhile. I just wanted to express how bummed I am for you, but also how much I *know* you’re going to rock this challenge. You are a smart, hard-working, and overall impressive person. If anyone can do it, it’s you!!!

I’ve lived in a few places… Grew up in NY, moved to NH for college, moved to Indiana for a year, then to Boston where I currently live. I’m considering a move to NC within the next 2 years, but of course everything will have to line up for that: jobs, apartments, etc. I love where I live now, but it’s far from family and the winters are HORRIBLE. I could really use a warm, sunshiney life!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — July 6, 2011 at 3:57 am

Oh my GOSH….SO, so sorry that this happened!!! What a nightmare of stress!!! I’m really glad that y’all found a place that you like and that you were able to get everything together in time…you really might be Super Woman!!!

Lauren — July 6, 2011 at 3:59 am

I swore, after we built our house we will NEVER move again! LoL. I hate it! I just had to help my sister and brother in law move this past weekend and I even hated that. You’re right, being calm and in order is more for me. But, on the up side….it’s always for the better! ;)

lindsay — July 6, 2011 at 4:12 am

wish I could come help you move. But you are superwoman, so getting it down in no time is an understatement for you!

Lisa — July 6, 2011 at 4:19 am

Moving just sucks. I’ve done it so many times…and will again in 3 weeks. I’ve been stalking craigslist like a fiend…and can’t find anything acceptable. One place has my attention, but the landlords are taking their time showing it (and I’m sure lots of other people want it too). There’s such a low supply and high demand where I’m moving to that most of them don’t advertise, but just put signs up in the yard…as if I have time to drive around all day looking for them!
    Good luck with your move—I can’t wait till I at least have a place to move to, then I can start to make things happen!

Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope — July 6, 2011 at 4:23 am

Oh wow… to have that happen right out of nowhere and given such a short time frame is exhausting, stressful, and simply terrible! I’m so sorry you had to go through all that! But I’m also extremely glad that you were able to work things out for you and your family. It sounds like everything is going to be perfectly fine, but in the meantime, I can totally understand the stress you’ve been under. Moving sucks. Not even a question. I have to move up 3 floors (long story) in my same apartment in August, and even that is a stress hanging over me. But you, like me, are definitely the “keep it under control” and “get done now what needs to get done now” kind of person, and it will definitely all work out.

I absolutely love where I live now, but since it’s downtown, brand new, high security, right on campus, and “luxury” living, it’s absurdly expensive. Living on my own means a different set of needs when choosing an apartment (safety is #1), and it comes with a price. I do believe it’s worth it since I do love it here, but the expenses can get overwhelming at times.

Emily — July 6, 2011 at 4:24 am

I am SO sorry!
    “Out of something bad, comes something good” though. It never seems that way when a bad thing is happening but over time we’re able to understand how those curveballs of life have led to something positive.
    I’ve only moved to and from college which is a pain but on a MUCH smaller scale. Good luck to you with the rest of the move!

Anne — July 6, 2011 at 4:29 am

I feel for you. We have moved from:
    St. Louis
    to Wichita, KS
    to Colorado Springs, CO
    to Lakewood, CO
    to Castle Rock, CO
    to Rancho Santa Margarita, CA
    to Bozeman, MT
    to Lawrence, KS
    to St. Louis

We plan moving back to Colorado in the next year or so. Colorado felt like home to us.

char @ char on a mission — July 6, 2011 at 4:29 am

I hope you’re feeling less stressed now! I feel like we’ve moved a lot as well (some self-inflicted). After getting married we took our honeymoon then moved to Australia for 4 months, as soon as we got back home, we were there for 2 weeks, then moved across the country (west) and lived there for 8 months, then in November ’10 we moved back home to be here for this summer until we move again in the fall so I can go back to school. No more moving after that for at least a year, I say! haha

Jackie — July 6, 2011 at 4:30 am

Good luck getting settled in! I too am unfortunately a moving expert – Boston, Philly, Denver, San Diego, Detroit and in October – back to San Diego! :) Looking at your boxes is giving me anxiety about all the purging and packing I need to do and reminding me I need to enjoy the luxury of having 3 months to do it. Sounds like you found a beautiful new place though – that’s my fear with moving, finding something with a great kitchen to rent (we own now). The one thing I do love about moving – organizing our new space! Try to enjoy the process of getting it all in order again (and less of it!).

Michaela — July 6, 2011 at 4:37 am

wow! that really is something one can´t quite believe… a pity you had to donate so much. I hope you will enjoy living in the new place, who knows why this is happening, maybe a new neighbour happens to be working in food photography ;) Good luck with the rest of the moving, you really are one hell of a power woman!!

Emily @ Comfortable Home Life — July 6, 2011 at 4:41 am

Wow girlie, that is INTENSE! I absolutely despite, hate, loathe moving! I’ve moved quite a bit, nowhere near as many times as you. The packing, the hauling, the unpacking, the cleaning, ugh. No thanks! You’ll be done before you know it though. Next week will fly by! Just out of curiosity, where did you live in SC? I live there now!

Katharina — July 6, 2011 at 4:43 am

Oh man! I’m so glad that you found a place. I have a friend that’s in the same situation, and I was too once at a place I loved. I think it’s awesome that you were able to use some of your savings, not to mention kudos to you for being debt free! I see so many people making purchases that they “must” have or putting things on their credit card without realizing how many other things they’ve put on there.. or actually relying on their credit card to take care of things. And then they complain later about how much debt they’re in. I’m glad that my parents were able to pay for my college as I went along because I can’t imagine having to owe so much money. Some people are paying something back for their whole lives :\ Anyway, hang in there! I know it’s stressful and not the usual way you role but I know that are you are rising above it as much as you can. It’s like a bind in yoga :) And eventually you release!

1. Well, I recently moved as well back down to Florida. I like South Florida but my mom lives in a quieter area. I like urban areas or areas that are more oriented towards walking or bike riding. And it’s hard to find people around my age with substance around here. The beach is incredible though, and all of the produce is so yummy!

2. Ohhh yes! I know that’s one of the reasons why I don’t get all teary-eyed when I move, and I’m use to keeping in touch with friends from a distance. I don’t really miss things either since I’m use to going on to new things. I started to move around in Germany when my mom married my step-dad because he was in the army at the time. Actually, because of him we ended up moving to the states. Then we lived in NC for 2 years, then he left the army and we went down to Florida. We were there for awhile and then moved up to VA (my step-dad kept getting his contract extended up there). Well, Virginia sucked that year lol so we moved back down to Florida into the same house actually. We rented it out because we knew if we sold it, we wouldn’t be coming back. Two years later we moved back to Virginia because my step-dad still had a contract up there and I was being harassed at school. That was for my senior year in high school, and I was glad to be reunited with my friends from Virginia who actually did keep in touch with me. I also had an exchange student that year (she was my best friend from Germany and we’ve known each other since we were babies so that worked out wonderfully). Then after I graduated I went back to Germany, then I went back to Virginia to study. Now that I just graduated I’m temporarily back in Florida… but who knows where my next destination will be!

XOXO, best of luck to you and the family!

Crystal — July 6, 2011 at 4:44 am

This is so weird that this is going on with you because we went through this pretty recently (like 3 weeks ago). I understand the stress of moving–I’ve moved 8 times in the last 9 years. And I grew up an air force brat, so my whole life has been about moving. I still haven’t found a location that I’d consider “home.” once I do, though, I’m doing everything I can to stay put! I hope the move goes smoothly for you and your family adjusts to your new home. Moving can be a pain, but I guess it’s just one of life’s experiences (at least for some of us). Good luck!

Katie — July 6, 2011 at 4:49 am

Oh my Averie, i am so sorry to hear about this, I can’t believe the landlord just decides to tell you he is selling the place, you would think he would have to give way more notice than that, its crazy, people just have no care about others, to think he would and respect that you have a child too and that finding a new place does not happen overnight, wow, what a jerk, sorry, but he is !

I am so happy you did find another place, and I know HOW much of a pain in the butt it is to move, since we moved 3 years in a row, we just renewed our lease, our next move will be a house, and settling, but tis a pain to move, looks like you are on a roll though getting stuff packed up!

One nice thing is you can get rid of stuff you don’t need, and I see you did, love ya girl!

Thinking of you and soon you will be in your new place!

xoxo

Stefanie — July 6, 2011 at 5:02 am

I hope you have an easy move despite the amount of packing you have to do. It is never fun to have to pack up and then unpack. Just last week I had to move out of my apartment due to finding a job 2 hours away. Unfortunatly, I have moved every couple of years. It is just a part of my life at this point.

Have a safe move. Hopefully it is the last move for a while.

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) — July 6, 2011 at 5:30 am

I am still in the process of moving now! We only moved our office and our home is still staged. We are going to move the rest soon, but I’m not sure when. I am not looking forward to it at all. Sorry you have to go through all of this…what a pain. I hope the move goes smoothly for you!

Elizabeth@The Sweet Life — July 6, 2011 at 5:38 am

My goodness what a busy few days you’ve had–and will continue to have! Of course, your usual “can-do” attitude seems to be in full force which is impressive. GOOD LUCK!!

Stephanie — July 6, 2011 at 5:46 am

Oh no. Moving is so much work…I need months to get myself mentally prepared. This was not a nice surprise at all. :( I didn’t move a lot as a kid (3 houses, but all in the same small city). But now I’m a military wife, and we have to relocate to a new city every 3-5 years. It’s ok, I guess, but I do get really tired of moving. We’re moving to our third city next week, on the other side of the country.

silvia — July 6, 2011 at 5:49 am

I’m so sorry for all this mess. It would be a major stress in my life, so I feel your pain.
    My only hope is that your new home will be a lot better than this one.
    in any case, you’ll bring the magic of your spectacular self in it, and that is all that counts.

Marcia @Frugal Healthy Simple — July 6, 2011 at 5:52 am

Yes, moving sure does suck. Santa Barbara is a hard place to put down roots too. If you get the right landlord, it’s awesome. Hindsight being 20/20, my husband’s first landlord never raised the rent. Shoulda stayed in that 1 BR apartment until we had a kid and waited to buy a house until now.

Let’s see…grew up in small town PA.
    1986: Moved when my parents divorced to an apartment.
    1986: Moved a few months later to a trailer (both with my mom).
    1988-1992: Then, of course, 4 different places during my college years, and a few different summer places too.
    1992: Then to DC in the Navy, rented a room in a basement.
    1993: Back to Pittsburgh for school.
    1993: Back to DC for the Navy, apartment with a friend. Then rent went up.
    1994: Different apartment. It had roaches. 1 month later
    1994: My own apartment finally.
    1997: Then to Cali/SB with my husband.
    1998: 15 months later, they raised the rent $330 a month. Moved to a 1BR condo.
    1999: 10 months later, the owners decided to sell the condo. Moved to student housing.
    2001: 2.5 years later, moved to a duplex (husband graduated).
    2004: Then 2.5 years later, bought the house.

I hate moving. This is my longest stretch in one place since I was 16.

Marcia @Frugal Healthy Simple — July 6, 2011 at 5:55 am

OH, and my good friend got kicked out of her rental a few months ago and is couch surfing. She had a great place, cheap, good landlords. She had a garden and some chickens in the city. And the landlords decided to sell. Talk about stressful! That is hard to replace!

Holly @ The Runny Egg — July 6, 2011 at 6:00 am

I love our house but I don’t really like where our house is — on a somewhat busy street and in a neighborhood that has somewhat declined over the past few years. Plus, I’d like to have a house one day and not a townhome where we can hear the neighbors walk up and down the stairs. But for now, this fits us just fine.

I’m glad you found a place that you like and that you were able to make it work (money wise) — rent + deposit + moving expenses, etc is pricey. Good for you for getting that debt out of the way so you were able to handle this situation!!!

Leslie — July 6, 2011 at 6:12 am

Wow, Averie, I know you’re probably under stress. I seriously could’ve written this post myself word for word because I think I’m just like you:

-moved a LOT!, a pro at moving (quickly), love order and neatness and (having roots), and get rid of TONS of stuff with each move.

I’ve totally been where you are…many times! Good luck getting it all organized and ready–I know you will! One step at a time, don’t get stressed out with the big picture of the move–just one step in front of the other!

Good luck!

sara — July 6, 2011 at 6:13 am

oh girl my heart goes out to you after reading this post. what a huge change to have to deal with unexpectedly. moving is exhausting, especially when it’s not a move you wanted or planned. but i love your attitude of accepting it and moving on (no pun intended). i hope you get settled in quickly.

after my last move 3 months ago i counted up my moves:
    michigan – childhood – 4 moves
    oklahoma – college/grad school – 11 moves
    texas (1st time) – 2 moves
    new york – 1 move
    back to texas – 1 move

i finally feel settled into our current home and part of me doesn’t want to go anywhere for a looooong time. but we were in a similar situation to yours, where we HAD to find a place in a certain time frame and this house came along at the last minute and was the only acceptable option. we like it BUT there are some things we would change and i know we’ll be scanning craigslist again next year when our lease is up.

Mellissa — July 6, 2011 at 6:14 am

Ick to moving. I have done a lot of it and I know there is more to come in the future! Moved 4 times as a kid, at least every year in college, in 2003, in 2005, in 2009, twice in 2010 and lets hope I can not move again until 2012.

WIERDGREENMAN — July 6, 2011 at 6:20 am

I am sorry to hear about this! I hope you all like your new place and settle in quickly..

WIERDGREENMAN — July 6, 2011 at 6:20 am

Rachel (tea and chocolate) — July 6, 2011 at 6:22 am

What a huge change to have deal with on short notice! I can’t believe the landlord didn’t give you more notice. I’m glad you like the new house your moving into. Your positive attitude is really making a difference.
    My family moved once when I was seven. Since then I’ve moved to the college dorms, an apartment and now I’m moving into another apartment (which I love!) in August.
    I wish you the best of luck with the move!

Evan Thomas — July 6, 2011 at 6:26 am

Such a stressful situation. But it sounds like you’ve landed on your feet. I hope you love the new place once you move in.

katie @ KatieDid — July 6, 2011 at 6:31 am

Oh nooo, i’m so sorry to hear about this stressful situation. As if you don’t have enough to do/ deal with on a normal day-to-day basis… I can sense your optimism though, so I know you’ll pull through this just fine. It’s always the BEST feeling when all the boxes are in and unpacked (likely within the first day for you!), and you can feel good about how much you accomplished. I have moved several times but mostly because I am a student. I haven’t had all my own possessions in one place for 5 years, and I never feel like a permanent resident anywhere, but my latest move into an apartment has been my favorite by far. I’m living with fewer roommates, there is more room, and its so much cleaner!! Good luck with everything averie!!

krista — July 6, 2011 at 6:34 am

Is that a typo that your current lease was up June 1, 2011? That would mean you would have been out a month ago?

Rachel @ Suburban Yogini — July 6, 2011 at 6:42 am

I have moved so many times (even overseas) and I am so tired of it!

We have been in our current place for two years and have just signed a lease for the third year. Thank God! As I love it here. It took us a while to settle in and calm down after many many years in Central London but I think we’re getting used to it now!

Gena — July 6, 2011 at 6:43 am

I can’t get over this story — what a royal pain for you to deal with. I’m so sorry, Averie! At least you seem adept at the moving process, and I have no doubt you’ll get through it all.

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — July 6th, 2011 at 10:24 am

yeah, it’s been an ordeal but you just moved…you know what a pain it is! At least you had someone’s smiling happy face on the other end that Im sure made things a little easier :)

natasha — July 6, 2011 at 6:45 am

Oh my, how terrible! I’m with you… chaos (sepecially the type induced by others i.e. your landlord) is not my cup of tea! After moving seven times in as many years, we settled into our current home about three years ago. We bought it and we love it. It’s not my “dream” home, but it’s close enough to work, schools, etc and is a great neighborhood with playground, pool, ponds etc so this is where we olan to be until the kiddos are in high school. It had been on the market for over a year and was calling our name so we bought it before selling the house we lived in at the time. Luckily our other one sold and we just had a few mmonths of double mortgages.

Hope things go more smoothly from here for you! Sounds like you are tackling it just fine.

Maary ( What's Cookin' with Mary) — July 6, 2011 at 7:16 am

When I clicked on you in my reader and saw the title I let out a sigh and thought OH NO! :l I can’t believe you’re moving again ?! Well, if it has to happen, it sounds like you’ve got everything under control and are ready to roll.

Having my parents get divorced when I was 14 means that I’ve moved A LOT. When I moved in with my now husband, I’ve moved the least (once in 6 years). We LOVE where we live. We have running and bike trails w.i walking distance from our front door… I can ride my bike to the ocean… I have TJ’s & WF’s w.i 2 miles of me…. A quiet & calm pool…. Quiet neighbors. We’re def happy here waiting out the second ‘crash’.

Victoria @ The Pursuit of Hippieness — July 6, 2011 at 7:18 am

How hectic! I can’t imagine having to make all those decisions, get stuff done, and stay sane in that little of a timeframe. But you seem to be handling it beautifully, how inspiring!

I pretty much stayed put in NJ throughout my childhood, but moving to Los Angeles for school was a HUGE transition. It’s been a year and I’m still adjusting! And I know that after school’s over, I’ll probably be moving somewhere else; I’ve come to like LA a lot but it still isn’t really for me. But one of the blessings of moving is discovering exactly what IS for you… you never know until you try, which is more than I can say for many of my high school peers who chose to attend college within an hour of our hometown… how are you supposed to challenge and learn more about yourself if you never leave your comfort zone?

Best of luck, and I hope it all goes as smoothly as it possibly can at this point! :)

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — July 6th, 2011 at 10:26 am

one of the major reasons i never went to college in CA was that coming from MN, when i toured schools in CA as a young 16/17 year old, life out here was so much more, bigger, braver, etc than what I was used to from my humble midwest roots so opted for a school in MN. I can understand being young and coming from across the country that yes, it would take me or you or anyone awhile to fully adjust!

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine — July 6, 2011 at 7:21 am

Ughhhh that sounds so stressful, I’m sorry! Moving sucks, no matter how much you hate the place you’re leaving or love the place you’re moving into. Glad you found a place, though!

I love where I live- both the city and the apartment- but I’m probably only going to be there for another 7 months. I know I’m not going to be making enough money to pay for my place solo, and although my parents are willing to help me I’m just not going to let them keep shelling out when I’m 22 so I can live in my dream place. Time to put my big girl pants on. I’ll probably be making a move once I’m done with culinary school, but to where I have no idea. California is kind of looking attractive lately, though. Or Florida or Texas…anywhere with a perennially warmer climate!

In the past three years, I’ve moved from Philly to Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh to an apartment in the West Village, and the West Village to my current place downtown. It’s definitely a lot. I kind of can’t wait to get a little older just so I have real roots somewhere….I get sick of not even knowing where my bed will be in six months!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — July 6th, 2011 at 10:30 am

When i read your post this morning that you had that night with your dad and that you were moving back to the city, I knew I was about to publish my own moving tale!

Please move to CA! Pretty please. You’d LOVE it! Knowing what I know about you, you’d love it here more than FL or TX. I just can see you here..so much so!

I think it’s awesome that you’re not just content to let your parents pay your rent even tho i know they would and youre putting on your big girl pants!

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite — July 6, 2011 at 7:24 am

Good luck with your move! I agree with you on feeling out of sorts with moving. I absolutely despise it. My husband and I bought our current home, but I swear, next time we move, I’m saving up for packers and movers – it just makes me way too stressed out!

Emma Jackson (L.I.F.E.) — July 6, 2011 at 7:29 am

As a military wife, I know all about the trials and tribulations that go along with even the BEST and most planned out moves– and with shorter notices, things only get more chaotic from there. This is especially true when you have either a particular area in mind, or there are only certain “pockets” of good, safe areas around. Sending lots of peaceful, restorative vibes your way. I think you’re handling it like a champ and I cannot wait to see what the new place looks like!

Love & Light,