Noisy & House Pictures

Since you all seemed to like the last round of pictures of my new pad, here’s a few more.

The kitchen with knife blocks and dehydrator in place

Ironic that my most used and favorite kitchen items are next to my least usedGo figure.

And I made a home for The Beast My Vita-Mix

iPhones are only so good.  Even after Lighroom. But you get the drift even if the photography is weak.

The beast has a home.

Can’t wait to make some No Bake White Chocolate & Mango Cookie Dough Bites with it after I am officially moved in (Wednesday July 13 is move day).  30 hours after I am back on American soil.

Alternate views

I am loving the light.  This is going to make photography so much more fun!  Probably not as fun as Photography in Mexico with Penny is going to be though.

The view from my balcony

Gotta love San Diego.  This is why I live here.  Period.

And the other direction

We are near a hospital so I already know we will get siren and ambulance noise.

We currently live about one mile from the hospital and will be moving even closer to it and I know there will be noise.

The windows in the house are really good though. Double-paned and thick.

I can tell they did not skimp on the windows which is something I asked before signing the lease.  I stood in the kitchen and living room not breathing, not uttering a word, or moving a muscle just to see how much noise there was.  The noise levels passed muster and I signed the lease.

In terms of eats, I’ve been working on lots of fresh veggies, salads and fruit.

It’s in the high 80s here at the coast.  Hot by San Diego standards.  Just in time for packing and moving.  It’s been a sweatfest.

So juiciness has been in order.

And I found of few Microwave Chocolate Peanut Butter and Oat Snack Bars in the freezer.  Love small miracles and finds like that.

It pays to freeze things.  You never know what you’ll find later on.  They only take 3 minutes to make regardless, but it’s nice to find good surprises!

1. Have you ever lived in a noisy place?

I’ve lived in plenty:

Near the L tracks downtown Chicago in multiple different apartments I heard the rickity, clickity of the trains.  All day, all night.  Joy oh joy.

One of our previous places in San Diego was in a neighborhood called Banker’s Hill.  We were on a hill about 2 miles from, or “above” the airport on top of a huge hill, and the planes would literally come rushing overhead every 5 minutes.   And when I say rushing overhead, they were so.low.  I could make out passengers faces!

Note: make sure you are never in the flight path of airplanes and a nearby airport.  Sounds like a funny thing to mention, but until you live in a flight path, you would never think about it.

2. Do you prefer silence, white noise, noise, or a mixture?

I like things pin.drop.quiet when I am at home.

I don’t even like white noise.  I like it quiet.   I don’t keep the tv on, don’t keep music on, I just like peace and quiet!

That’s ironic because I do love living in the city and I love the pace, vibe, and energy of the city, but when I go into my house, my safe place and refuge, my humble abode, and I close the door, I want it really quiet.

When I’m out, noise happens and I don’t mind it.  Usually.  I don’t enjoy really loud motorcycle engines that have been tweaked to be noisy and I don’t love sirens, but whatever.  I deal.

Some people can only sleep with a white noise machine (and it helped me with Skylar and getting her to sleep through the night when she was younger and not waking up every time she heard a siren or a plane) but I don’t use a white noise machine for myself.

I also don’t run with music.  Both for safety reasons (please read this post and be safe!!! if you workout with earbuds in) and because I do just love..the quietness and mental peace that silence brings!

Thanks for the 2 Cookbooks for 2 Winner Giveaway entries.

And I’ll see you….from Mexico!

50 Responses to “Noisy & House Pictures”

Tasha @ Voracious Eats — July 8, 2011 at 1:10 am

What a gorgeous new place! There is so much light flooding in from those windows, it’s like a food bloggers dream come true. It is really a warm and inviting place, spacious and lovely. Well done, Averie!

I prefer white noise when I’m sleeping, and silence during the day. At night we have the AC on and a fan in our room, which works for me. During the day I try to keep it nice and quiet, but we live right by the airforce base so jets are always flying over. But that has been a staple of my life since the first Gulf War and it seems almost like silence to me, if that makes any sense.

I love your new place!

Maris(In Good Taste) — July 8, 2011 at 1:23 am

The sirens will become background noise, After a few days you won’t hear them at all. I love the floors!

Jess@HealthyExposures — July 8, 2011 at 2:58 am

Such a beautifull kicthen. I’m glad you’re able to start moving things in already, too – that must make you feel better about the Wednesday move-in date!
    It is very quiet here…just how I like it. Lately there’s been “a lot” of cars going by, though. People have summer houses along the lake so they’re all coming up and our road is sort of an outlet between the lake and a larger town… and I don’t like it! So noisy. And by “a lot” I mean…it’s still a dirt road and maybe there’s 10 cars/hour versus 3 or 5, lol.
    The flight path just sounds scary, though!

silvia — July 8, 2011 at 3:01 am

Nice new home, I would add a touch of color. Lots of color, but that’s me.
    The view is really lovely!

Wow for the floor, so neat and smooth it invites to do some yoga poses.

cathy — July 8, 2011 at 3:29 am

bon voyage, averie!
    loved seeing more shots of your place – i spied my favourite speckled green mixing bowl!
    “I like things pin.drop.quiet when I am at home.” – > yup, me, too. when i’m out, i like to be around lots of people, don’t mind noise, but at home, no radio, tv, nothing.
    we’ve been melting up here, if you can believe it! i am appreciating every moment and soaking up as much heat and sunshine as i can. winter is long, cold and dark, and will come all too quickly!
    i’ve heard that if you live near an airport, hosp, train tracks etc that after a while you don’t even notice the sounds…great that you’ve got such good quality windows, though!

Daniela — July 8, 2011 at 3:51 am

I just read your post about your Mexico City trip, Don’t know if you’re back, but if you need any advice or help contact me I have lived here all my life. It seems Mrs. Penny likes markets, I hope you visit Jamaica and Xochimilco, both are flower markets and have beautiful sites. Your new place is great love the wood floors so pretty.

Lauren — July 8, 2011 at 3:57 am

We used to live in a condo and lived beside two very noisy neighbors. One was Indian and would BLARE worship music every day around 2pm. I’m talking wall shaking. The other was a young college guy who would have crazy parities on random Tuesday nights. Oh the joys! I am so grateful for our home now and for a fence! :)

Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope — July 8, 2011 at 4:18 am

SUCH a great new place Averie! Although this was completely unexpected and not necessarily wanted, I’m certain the new place will be fabulous for you guys! Those view are spectacular. :)

I’m SUCH a completely silent person. I definitely agree that I prefer no noise. I spent 18 years of my life living in the woods with no neighbors on a dead end street. Loved it. When I moved to a high-rise apartment next to a popular bar on the busiest street in downtown Madison, that obviously had to change. I was lucky, like you, to have sound-proof doors, walls, and windows since it’s a brand new building, so it really isn’t too bad. But I’ve honestly becomes immune to the sirens I hear every 15 minutes. Fireworks? Nope haha. But sirens I can handle without jumping every time I hear one. ;)

Katie — July 8, 2011 at 4:21 am

The new place looks beautiful!

And you are so right, SanDiego, how could it not be great?! I wish I lived there, so beautiful there!

I had a hard time finding a place for my vitamix beast too when I got mine, glad you found a spot in your new place!

Happy Weekend love, hope you guys get all settled in or mostly, before your trip!!

xoxo <3

Andree — July 8, 2011 at 4:27 am

Nice place, congratulations! I love the windows, the floors, and of course, the view!

As for noise, I understand: I have lived near railroad tracks and next door to nightclubs without issues but the house where we live now is incredibly noisy. Not only can we hear our neighbours , but there is also a traffic light and a bus stop right in front of our house.

We’re moving to a much quieter area in a month and I can’t wait!

Have fun in your new place…

Lisa — July 8, 2011 at 4:30 am

I like quiet—kid noise is ok (playing kid noise…not shrieking kid noise). I don’t watch tv or listen to the radio or anything when I’m home. I do get some traffic noise in my current place, but I won’t once I move. However, I’ll be near a big huge Catholic church that dings its bells and plays songs at certain times.

Home is a Haven, and to me that means no noise pollution!

Have so much fun in Mexico!

Holly @ The Runny Egg — July 8, 2011 at 4:43 am

I like either total silence or some white noise — like when we have our humidifier going in the wintertime, I like that noise because it is constant. I can’t stand random noise (like snoring!)

Averie I just love the floors and all of that light! What a beautiful new place!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table — July 8, 2011 at 5:11 am

Congrats on the new digs. I love the flooring!

Noise doesn’t really bother me. I live in a city and I like the energy it has.

Ragnhild — July 8, 2011 at 5:13 am

Yea, where I live now it is always noisy! I live so central, so there is always (druk) people outside my window at night. And the train passed by all the time. But I really dont mind, I like it alittle noisy :)

char @ char on a mission — July 8, 2011 at 5:19 am

Last summer when we lived out west we lived in a newer part of town which was also conveniently located coming down a mountain, so you would always hear the big trucks on it (jamming their brakes up or something?!). That was the only nuisance I’ve ever really encountered.

That’s good to hear about the glass because you don’t want ambulances constantly interfering with life. Those bars look so yummy. I need to hop and start making a bunch of different things that I can freeze, too!

Heather (Where's the Beach) — July 8, 2011 at 5:20 am

I so miss having a balcony. We live on a fairly busy street and I guess have just gotten used to the noise. Though, at night we have lots of fans going to help cover up the traffic.

WIERDGREENMAN — July 8, 2011 at 5:21 am

I’m okay with noise if it isn’t half waking me up from sleep. I get beyond annoyed when it’s still dark out and the neighborhood dogs methodically bark like they’re keeping time! Also, when camping, birds waking me up can be annoying when there are a lot of them just outside of our tent.

Brooke — July 8, 2011 at 5:44 am

It really depends on what I’m doing – I usually need SOME sort of noise to be productive!

Brooke Annessa

Katie — July 8, 2011 at 5:47 am

The floors are gorgeous! And that balcony! Those trees! You’re thisclose to making an East Coast girl want to move to CA!

Cait @ Urban Fencepost — July 8, 2011 at 5:51 am

Your new place looks really nice! Gosh, it looks beautiful in San Diego. I love Chicago, but the winters are seriously depressing. I totally hear you on the noise from the el. My last couple apartments were very close to the tracks and it is loud. I prefer white noise at night when I want to sleep. During the day I don’t mind the sounds from outside, it does get pretty noisy though between sirens and motorcycles and a noise from a neighborhood pub across the street.

Persnickety Hall — July 8, 2011 at 5:52 am

Loving the new place! Those floors are gorgeous!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) — July 8, 2011 at 5:58 am

Love the place Averie! It’s beautiful! I like a little white noise in my life, but it has to be at the right level…too low is annoying and too loud is distracting. That whole statement just made me sound extremely high maintenance!

katie @ KatieDid — July 8, 2011 at 5:59 am

I rarely have any white noise going on either. no tv. no music. I love the silence too. And recently I’ve ditched the music for running and have really enjoyed hearing my own thoughts as opposed to blaring black eyed peas… You must be en route right now!! Can’t wait to see some pictures.

Katie — July 8, 2011 at 6:20 am

I like to sleep with a fan for the noise (or the AC on), but during the day it is silence. I listen to my NPR while puttering around, but when I sit down at my computer, everything gets turned off. But I do like to have something on the radio when I work out.

My sister lives 5 min from the MPLS airport. She said that the planes drive her bonkers, but I didn’t notice them when I was there for a week. I was sleeping in the guest bedroom in the basement though.

Jess — July 8, 2011 at 6:33 am

I NEED noise, especially when I’m home alone. i ALWAYS have the t.v. on. :) I also sleep with a fan, but I can sleep in silence :D

Kate @thepseudovegan — July 8, 2011 at 7:11 am

I’m visiting San Diego this week! It is absolutely incredible, every time I am here I say WHY DO I NOT LIVE HERE!!! I’m seriously considering it. I am going to look into travel nursing =]

Faith — July 8, 2011 at 7:31 am

Your new place is gorgeous! Love the beautiful backsplash in the kitchen…and the natural light coming in is perfect! I’m a pin-drop-quiet girl when I’m working. :)

Meredith — July 8, 2011 at 7:51 am

I love the new place!!!!!!!! I moved back in January(in the midwest) also not the greatest moving time but it had to be done! I used to live next door to our airport. AND every other weekend the Blue Angels did training drills beginning at 7am, so NOT awesome. I did get used to it after three years but I did not get used to the neighbors on all sides(above, below, around, etc) yelling at the top of their lungs resulting in more calls to 911 than I have fingers and toes. I sleep like the dead too! I’ve lived near universities and it wasn’t that loud but I do love my peace and quiet, no noise, just calm. LOVE LOVE LOVE that!! I hope you have fun in Mexico!!!!!

Blog is the New Black — July 8, 2011 at 8:05 am

Love the pad! It’s gorgeous!

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen — July 8, 2011 at 8:13 am

For as much as I complain about living in the sticks, I can’t stand city noise! I lived in a smallish city right out of college with garbage trucks and ambulance galore. I’m the lightest sleeper there is so it wasn’t a fun experience. I enjoy my crickets and frogs now :)

Maary ( What's Cookin' with Mary) — July 8, 2011 at 8:24 am

The loudest place I ever lived was my last apt with B. It was on a busy corner in ‘downtown’ (if you can call it that) Irvine. We were right on the corner where the shopping center was… it was not unusual to wake up to the soud of two sports cars racing eachother around the corner at 2am. I once saw a lambo racing a porsche and the lambo’s right tires hit the curb after speeding around the corner to avoid crashing into eachother. Another time, a cement truck tipped over on the turn… that was LOUD. …and it damaged the street ?!

When I’m home I like mello music on. We’ve always got our ‘chill’ station going on Pandora. I don’t like screaming kiddo’s or loud mowers, but a little light music makes me happy.

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) — July 8, 2011 at 8:49 am

I don’t think I’d ever use my Vita-Mix if it wasn’t on the counter. I HATE putting appliances away because they almost never see the light of day again. Yeah, I’m THAT lazy in the kitchen, lol. I avoid things because it will take sooo long to just get it out, use it, clean it, etc. My dream is to have a house with two kitchens and multiple islands, LOL. Keep dreaming, right? :)

That lighting looks awesome!! You can’t beat natural light. I can’t wait to see the gorgeous photos you produce from that.

Guess what?! I bought a fresh mango! What do I do with it? :D Do you have a fresh mango post anywhere?

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — July 8th, 2011 at 8:55 am

peel it and eat it! if it’s fresh and perfect, you just want to savor it fully!

save the frozen for smoothies or ice cream making
      and the dried for mango cookie dough bites

but fresh, just eat it..mmmm good
      airport comment replying :)

Kristina @ spabettie — July 8, 2011 at 8:50 am

when Jason and I lived downtown we were less than 1/2 mile from a major hospital, and we’d hear sirens and the helicopter landing all the time – after a while you don’t really “hear” it – we got used to it anyway. when we first moved to our current place on 2 acres (yep, after appendix fiasco!) it was kinda eerie quiet. :)

have a FABULOUS weekend!!

Sarah @ Sarah's Modern Bites — July 8, 2011 at 8:51 am

Love those floors Averie!

I have lived in MANY different cities where the noise levels have all been different. I grew up On Cape Cod (very very quiet) but since have called Boston home (though I have bounced around a lot). I don’t mind city noise. In fact, I kind of like it! It is sort of like white noise…subways and all. I also lived in Tucson, Arizona for a year. SO quiet and peaceful. Very meditative. What I DON”T like are rude loud people right at weird hours…. now that is just annoying haha

Heather — July 8, 2011 at 8:57 am

I love the floors!!! Looks like a great place!!! And it’s beautiful outside.

Meg — July 8, 2011 at 9:56 am

I live in beautiful San Diego as well but I live right near the highway. They are currently doing construction on it at 2am. It’s awful. I have fans and music playing at night. It seems to semi-fix the noise issue. I also used to live on Ingraham St in Pacific Beach. I pretended the cars were waves. It helped! Beautiful place!

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun — July 8, 2011 at 10:23 am

Love the looks of it! Definitely worth the sirens. ;)

Christine (The Raw Project) — July 8, 2011 at 10:30 am

Great house pics, beautiful flooring and the kitchen is look good.

1. Not really, I’ve never lived on a busy road and even the apartment I lived in for awhile was tucked in a wooded area.
    2. Mixture I guess, I could adapt to living in a noisy area, it’s just getting used to new surroundings.

Kaitlyn@TheTieDyeFiles — July 8, 2011 at 10:49 am

The colors of your woodwork and countertops are gorgeous! Not to mention the views! I’m so happy for you that the lighting will be good for photos in the same room where your table will be. I need to work on getting a table at all! We don’t have one right now.

I mostly like silence, but I have my days while cooking or cleaning that I enjoy to have some music on. I live in a very noisy city, in the summertime my fan really helps me drown some of it out!

Sara — July 8, 2011 at 1:17 pm

OH I totally know where that is, you live pretty close to me! And you’re actually near 2 major hospitals with huge ERs – UCSD and Mercy. Cute place! :)

Jos — July 8, 2011 at 2:50 pm

I love quiet place but for some reason I moved to this place right next to a railroad track…go figure :P Good thing the trains only run during day time and very rare at night time.

Kristina — July 9, 2011 at 12:40 am

You live in Hillcrest now? I just moved from there to downtown. I love it there–so colorful, :).

Amber K — July 9, 2011 at 7:38 am

I have lived in apartments for…wow almost eight years now and they have to be one of the loudest places I have ever lived! People are NOT quiet in apartments and I always seem to be in ones that weren’t made very well. So the sound definitely travels. Thankfully we live on the top floor right now. I need to be able to sleep and when there are people partying into the wee hours of the morning, it’s just not always possible!

I’m one of those people who always needs some sort of noise, but it can’t be irritating. I need to be able to control whether or not I keep hearing something. Yeah, SOMEONE has control issues ;)

Nathalie — July 9, 2011 at 11:41 am

Love the floors and the window wall with the balcony- such a bonus in an apartment!
    I like it quiet too, the quieter the better. Love going to cities and love the buzz of them, but I think I’ll always prefer living in the quiet countryside.

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — July 10, 2011 at 11:43 pm

I once lived in a home in which I could hear trains the odd night. I learned to love the sound! I think I adapt very well to noises when I am sleeping.

I absolutely LOVE that flooring in your new place – it is so fabulous! It also looks very spacious.

I prefer some background noise most of the time.

Notyet100 — July 11, 2011 at 8:09 am

Luved ur space ,I am ur new follower