San Diego Pride Pictures 2011

I asked in my last post if you’d be interested in seeing more pictures from the Pride Parade and Festival and everyone said yes, so here are some of the images I captured.

I saw so much love, happiness, fun, laughter, silliness, and drinks the size of your head.

People dancing, singing, and moving to the beat with every bar and restaurant packed to the gills with all walks of life.

Not caring what the world thinks of your lifestyle, outfit, fishnet, tattoos, while sporting great eyelashes were just some of the themes of the day and weekend.

And really, in my neighborhood, it’s like this, more or less, every day.

It was fun hearing if you’ve been to any Pride Parades or Pride Events in your area from my last post.

Here are my:

2010 pride pictures

2009 pride pictures

I captured all these images on the fly (similar to shooting lovers in the park in Mexico City last weekend), with my camera around my neck, my running shoes on, and a big smile was on my face the whole time seeing so much fun, love, and pride!

1. What has made you smile and happy this weekend?

2. Is anything in your life a bit ‘unusual’, different, not the same as “everyone else” or are any life choices you make different than the mainstream or differnt that others you know?  How do you handle it?

Gosh my life is one big “different than”.

Some things that come to mind posts I’ve done about these types of traits and topics include:

Tattoos and piercings

My dietary path

My parenting choices

Not conforming to the mainstream

Not believing in food rules

Not caring if desserts are “healthy”

Eating desserts and not ‘healthifying’ them

And there are so many other things, too!

I have learned to just do my thing, hold my head up high, make the choices that are right for me, and try not to care what the world thinks.

They’re not walking a mile in my shoes, parenting my child, putting a roof over my head, living in my skin and body; nor are they my judge and jury.  So, I just do my thing.

Sometimes it’s easier said than done, but the older I get, the easier it becomes to stay true to my ideals, dreams, goals, and the life path that I choose to carve for myself even if it’s not Suzy Cookie Cutter’s life path.

But really, we all are different that the next person.  And I try to embrace that in myself and respect that in others.  Being at Pride festivals and parades is a reminder of how diverse we all are.  And that’s fabulous!

Have a great Sunday and keep the Summer in a Box Giveaway entries coming!

48 Responses to “San Diego Pride Pictures 2011”

Anne — July 17, 2011 at 6:03 am

I love the pictures! Looks like everyone had a terrific time.

Tasha @ Voracious Eats — July 17, 2011 at 6:05 am

Love love LOVE this post! All that joy and happiness just radiates from the pictures. Love is love is love. I can’t wait till the whole world realizes this and no one judges anymore! Beautiful. And I seriously need some of those false blue eye lashes….NEED THEM.

Great post!

Maris (In Good Taste) — July 17, 2011 at 6:15 am

Those chihuahuas made me smile! You took some great shots!

Kelsey @ Snacking Squirrel — July 17, 2011 at 6:28 am

the photos ive SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO been waiting for!!! wow these made my morning- thank you for posting them Averie!!! <3

xoxo

Emily @ Comfortable Home Life — July 17, 2011 at 6:34 am

That picture of the three dogs made me laugh! All these pictures are AMAZING! I absolutely love portraiture & capturing people’s personalities.

I love how confident your are in your lifestyle and your “different than” choices. I’ve also made a lot of ‘unusual’ decisions, including dying half my hair platinum, blue, piercing my nose, vegetarianism, etc. It’s not always easy but you’re right — no one else is living my life but me!

Jaime — July 17, 2011 at 6:38 am

omg, LOVE LOVE LOVE these pics! SO fab! My faves are the “born this way” pic, the 3 dogs (SO cute!), and the beautiful gentlemen in the speedo/short shorts (pictures #12 & 17) – they have KILLER bods. haha.

awesome post Averie. Thanks for sharing this with us!

Michaela — July 17, 2011 at 6:41 am

fabulous pictures! You really captured the atmosphere.
    my aupair children made me smile this weekend :) children are incredible.
    I am not leading the “average” life either, but I think that is what makes life interesting. We are all unique and have different lifes and that is great. I really do not care about what other people might think about my choices and my lifestyle, and in return, I do not judge others. Live and let live a little ;)

April @ Grits & Granola Bars — July 17, 2011 at 6:49 am

Great photos, Averie! You have real talent when it comes to photography.

Holly @ The Runny Egg — July 17, 2011 at 6:51 am

Everyone looks so happy and so confident.

What has made me smile/happy this weekend — going out to dinner/movie with Jason on Friday and spending time family yesterday and today. Its been a good weekend!

Katie — July 17, 2011 at 7:00 am

GREAT photos, Avery! Keep track of them! I love Pride, and I LOVE those unicorn jean vests!

kris (everyday oats) — July 17, 2011 at 7:02 am

Great pictures!! Being with family and friends has made my smile this weekend :)

Paige @ Running Around Normal — July 17, 2011 at 7:36 am

These are some awesome awesome pictures, Averie! Looks like a blast, too :)

Christine (The Raw Project) — July 17, 2011 at 8:12 am

Great pics! So much energy and style! Love the chihuahua! :-)

1. Going for a run with hubby and shopping at Whole Foods.
    2. Sure, plenty, like being vegan. It doesn’t bother me because I know it’s right for me after a lot of careful consideration, so cristism and judgement is meaningless to me.

Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope — July 17, 2011 at 8:15 am

LOVE these photos Averie… you captured such emotion and energy in them! What an amazing event to experience.

I think you are well aware of how different my choices have been from the “mainstream.” I grew up in a small, conservative town with a conservative family; everything from my health choices, lifestyle, personality, to my yoga teaching was completely off the beaten path. I’ve learned that I could care less what people may think or what is deemed “normal,” as long as I’m happy and doing what I feel is right. :)

Marla — July 17, 2011 at 8:30 am

Lots to smile about this day & each & every day. Throughout my life I have always been one to think outside the box. Encourage my kids to do the same. Fun to see these folks having a blast :) love those 3 pups!! Great clicks ;)

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine — July 17, 2011 at 8:40 am

It’s funny, sometimes I feel like I confuse people because I seem so vanilla and ordinary in some of my choices, and others are kind of out there. The way I eat is one thing, but I’m also very opinionated about other things that people wouldn’t expect by looking at me. I used to get so upset when someone thought I was weird or talked about me, but yesterday someone I barely made a kind of malicious remark and I could honestly care less. “Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.”

Amber K — July 17, 2011 at 8:55 am

What fun photos! I love how everyone seems so happy :)

Sarah — July 17, 2011 at 9:02 am

Looks like fun!! I heard there was a military section of the parade – extra awesome :D

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) — July 17, 2011 at 9:10 am

Oh to be so uninhibited! Maybe in my next life!

Something that made me smile is watching our new kitty interact with our ‘old’ ones. These are our children, so it’s a big deal for us.

Different: Probably my ‘dietary path’ as you said. Mine isn’t defined as such, but rather I’ve gone in and out of having various food rules, mostly so that I can restrict calories to a certain extent. Sadly?? that is not the case now, but I still get looks from dining partners when I say “no butter, oil, cream etc and sauce on the side please” . Hey, it’s what i have to do, what can I say. I own it.

Cait @ Cait hates Cake — July 17, 2011 at 9:29 am

My mom came into town to visit this weekend. That has definitely made me happy!
    The whole Pride concept is very near and dear to my heart and I love the pictures you’ve taken of this awesome event!! You really did capture so much love and happiness! Yay for Pride!!!

Jackie @ That Deep Breath — July 17, 2011 at 9:58 am

Looks like a fun festival! I love the “born this way” vests…so creative!

Estela @ Weekly Bite — July 17, 2011 at 10:21 am

I love how happy everyone is the pictures :)

natasha — July 17, 2011 at 10:30 am

The 3 puppies are hysterical and I love the “born this way” vests. Your photography is AWESOME!

Jess@HealthyExposures — July 17, 2011 at 11:13 am

21 & 22…man, he was workin’ that camera, huh?! love it. great shots. as i suspected, you captured the mood so well. so much love, happiness and CONFIDENCE in the air.

Gosh, I love people’s differences. Sure, there’s no denying the fact that sometimes differences lead to lots of hate – but it can lead to lots of love, too :)

Sara — July 17, 2011 at 11:25 am

I totally saw the dude with the blue shorts & white stripes! hahaha!

Ragnhild — July 17, 2011 at 11:35 am

I really enjoyed looking at these photos! Those people look so happy and free! I once watched a Pride Parade while being on vacation in Spain- so much fun!
    I love how you chose to dont care what others think of you Averie! I hope Ill get there sometime too! I dont understand why I even bother worry what others thinks of me :P

Anne — July 17, 2011 at 11:47 am

Hahaha – so much fun & joy & pride in ONE post. Thanks for sharing :-)

Erika Pfiszterné Nagy — July 17, 2011 at 12:01 pm

Super photos! Super blog!

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) — July 17, 2011 at 1:39 pm

AWESOME pics! Looks like a great time, and so colorful! The woman with the Christmas tree ornament sized necklace = priceless.

And awwwww @ the little doggies!!! So cute, but their outfits aren’t colorful enough! ;)

Katie — July 17, 2011 at 3:07 pm

I wish I were there! Looks like everyone is having so much fun. I love it all. I couldn’t pick a favorite. LOVE this post!!!

blossjoss — July 17, 2011 at 3:32 pm

It’s so great to see people so comfortable with who they are, and not be afraid to show it.

I avoid reckonsiling my differences with the mainstream by not being outward with my choices, opinions, and plans. I’m trying to expose to the world who I am little by little…and you, and these lovely peeps are great encouragement. :)

Brooke — July 17, 2011 at 4:18 pm

Our decision to adopt has caused OH SO MUCH controversy in our family! While we know choosing adoption is not mainstream, we certainly didn’t think it would result in so many hurtful things being said to us and about our choice.

But we’re both pretty stubborn :) And not to mention we’re 100% completely committed to bringing home our daughter…

Life is too short to let others dictate your happiness <3

Brooke Annessa

Angela (veggievinyasa) — July 17, 2011 at 4:24 pm

I love your pics! It makes me miss all my friends in NYC.

As for happy thoughts: I taught a children’s yoga class on Saturday. We went around in a circle and each shared one happy moment from the week. So much fun…answers ranged from drawing cats to playing outside.

Lifestyle choices: I stopped eating meat in March. Friends and family keep asking me where I get my protein. I keep explaining all the wonderful and delicious ways to get everything we need from plants. I’m reading the China Study right now. I told my boyfriend I’m going a week without cheese (it was day three and he wanted to share something cheesy at a restaurant). I just had to laugh when he took it as a personal attack. On a happy note: plenty of friends and relatives are interested in trying yoga with me!

Bakerbynature — July 17, 2011 at 5:17 pm

Oh my God, where do I get those blue eyelashes??!!

In answer to question number 1- this weekend simplicity made me smile. waking up without an alarm clock, and waking up next to the love of my life. eating chocolate cake with coffee, and not feeling guilty. practicing yoga in the park because it felt good. cooking dinner and having the man I love WANT to wash the dishes.

Life is good, and it seems your days have been filled with beautiful excitement.

Bria @ West of Persia — July 17, 2011 at 7:32 pm

Ummmm, can I move to your neighborhood? Looks like FUN! Your photos really capture that spirit.

I’ve made some unconventional choices for sure, and I take grief for them every now and again. But I’m pretty much like you–comfortable with myself and my choices, so I keep on keeping on.

Kaitlyn@TheTieDyeFiles — July 17, 2011 at 7:59 pm

Everyone in these photos just looks so HAPPY! What a great job capturing that feeling. Lots of things made me happy this weekend, I think I’ll be doing a post on them tomorrow!

And I definitely consider myself unusual. Some people call me strange, I say I’m just comfortable with who I am and what I believe in, and I’m really proud of that. It’s taken a lot of time and effort to get to this point, and I’m so much happier now that I’m here!

melissa — July 17, 2011 at 8:09 pm

Wow… looks like you couldn’t have asked for better weather!

I love the “born this way” picture… and the pups in the basket, of course. :)

Kim — July 18, 2011 at 3:19 am

Fabulous pictures!!! :D
    Love all the outfits, they definitely made me smile! :D

Jordan @ food, sweat, and beers — July 18, 2011 at 8:15 am

BEAUTIFUL Pictures, Averie!! These are the shots I was waiting for, and they certainly didn’t disappoint. I looooove those little puppies (full of pride, I’m sure!)

I think that my general attitude regarding sexuality and sexual fluidity/openness makes me different (and some folks a little uncomfortable). I also think that my almost obsessive love of craft beers has been a big surprise to my family, a rum and coke kinda bunch… but it’s kept me excited and interested!

Kate — July 18, 2011 at 10:54 am

You took some beautiful photos!! This year was my all-time favorite pride! It was such a blast!! I am verrrrry different but I prefer it that way. :) Did you go to see Margaret Cho perform in Balboa Park? She was hilarious!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — July 18th, 2011 at 12:31 pm

I didnt catch any of the shows or performances…no, darn! But I loved the vibe this year too. It was my favorite year ever that we’ve been in San Diego (since 2003). Just truly so much great energy all weekend long in the ‘hood!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — July 18, 2011 at 11:26 am

I don’t follow a lot of food rules either, and I could care less if my desserts or even meals are “healthy”. Moderation is healthy, not restriction.

Krista — July 21, 2011 at 7:33 am