Second Shift

After moving into our new place yesterday, at 5pm my “second shift” was just beginning.

1. I had to go to Bed Bath & Beyond for: a shower curtain rod, shower curtain, and shower curtain liner for Scott’s bathroom.  And I realized after the fact that Skylar needs the same thing for her bathroom.  I thought her bathroom had a glass door on it.  Wrong.  Curtain needed.

So many shower curtain rods and regular curtain rods and yet, I struck out for myself.  Ugh.

I needed curtain rods and brackets for the master.

I succeeded on all fronts with Scott’s bathroom but am pretty ticked as it pertains to curtains for the master.  The guy who sold me the curtain rods for the master didn’t tell me to get purchase longer curtain rods.   In fact, when I asked him about the length and said well shouldn’t I get longer rods, he said, “Oh you won’t need those.  This size will work.”  Wrong.  No go.

And no curtains up.  Hello, World!

And I will be going back to BB & B tomorrow.  Ugh!

2. Then it was on to Radio Shack for 50 feet of coaxial cable so the cable from the wall can stretch to where I keep the one and only tv we own in our home.  A 10 year old 20 inch special.  It’s worth about 3 bucks but I do love my Real Housewives and my DVR so needed the co-ax.

I love mindless tv programs, what can I say.

3. Good thing that Radio Shack, Ralph’s, and TJ’s all share a parking lot!

At the grocery store I bought some produce that’s cheaper than at TJ’s.  And the Pride Flags are already flying in the grocery store advance of Pride the weekend.  Yay!

And holy mother of Irish Cream

Non-alcoholic Bailey’s coffee creamer.  On sale.  That went into my cart faster than you can scream:

Buttery Nipple!

Even though I hinted around at it in my last post that I wanted to celebrate, there was no drinking and no buttery nipples involved last night.  Darn.

4. After Ralph’s, it was time for TJ’s

I am a tease and will show you my stash.  Next post.

I was just there two days ago, after all.

5. I came home, made dinner, made dessert for Scott and I that involved lots of Dark Rum Caramel Sauce <–priorities

Skylar was happy with a stash of frozen bites I found.

High Raw Vegan Sugar Cookie Dough Balls

I unpacked a bit more, struggled with coaxial cable, and realized the curtain rod situation was a no go.

And now am blogging.

I told you my second shift was just beginning at 5pm!

Tomorrow, er, when I wake up in 5 hours, I have an appointment with the cable company to get our internet and TV working, I have returns to make at BB&B, I need to do some yoga!

I need to go to my paid work, too.  Fun.

And I have Skylar to parent.

This was her eating her last meal and snack at our old house: Triscuits + PB and trying to stuff half a banana in her face at once while giving a wave for the camera.  Blogger’s child, for sure.  Hams it up, always.

Thanks for the compliments on the photos I posted of our new place.  To answer everyone’s questions: Yes, I love the wood floors (and they scream yoga!), and yes, I am always that neat and tidy and organizedI hate clutter and messes!  I am the queen of simplicity and minimalistic without being sparse.

Before I forget, I did a guest post for Rachael of La Fuji Mama, while she’s in Tokyo.  Rachael is an amazing woman, mother, blogger, author, and all around awesome friend.   I was flattered when she asked me to guest post on her site and I posted about some of my favorite Dessert Bite Recipes.  All are no-bake recipes so if you don’t want to turn on your oven in the summertime heat, no sweat.  <–pun intended.

Question:

Do you feel like you work a second shift in your life?

I sure do, and not just because of the move.

As a working mom, I am always on the go and just keeping up with the housework, cooking, cleaning grocery shopping, parenting!, workouts, blogging, errands, and whatever else comes up is one job.  Parenting alone is one job, really.

The rest of it is my second job (and really blogging kind of is my second job).

And then my next and third shift or third job is my paid job. (For newer readers, for privacy reasons, I don’t discuss my work here)

So yes, I feel like I work two or three shifts.  This is why I sleep 5 hours, max.  And when I was younger, I thought I “had to have” 8 hours.  Then life happened.

I am just busy, but really happy, and I just couldn’t imagine life any other way!

P.S. Reminder for the $25 Giveaway that ends on Friday

51 Responses to “Second Shift”

Maris(In Good Taste) — July 14, 2011 at 2:12 am

Where do you find the time to guest post!!!!. Make sure you get to yoga today!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — July 14th, 2011 at 2:32 am

I used to guestie all the time, then I stopped, but lately Ive done a few..they’re fun but yes, it all takes time.

Yoga = at home, always! 20 mins most days. I dont have 90 min + commute time luxuries :)

cathy — July 14, 2011 at 3:20 am

good luck with the return visits today!
    yes – mindless tv, dvr – one does not need anything else!
    i don’t have a ‘second shift’ type of lifestyle, but i do compartmentalize my life: workout time, real work time, blogging time, family/social time…a day with lots of variety is a good day indeed!

lindsay — July 14, 2011 at 3:45 am

i think you have about 4 shifts, haha. But you handle them well. So impressed! hope you get some extra time for you and yoga.

Lauren — July 14, 2011 at 3:53 am

PLEASE show us the stash soon! I am heading to Tj’s tomorrow and I need some ideas! :)

Notyet100 — July 14, 2011 at 3:54 am

Ya u r right ,parenting is also a job

Jess@HealthyExposures — July 14, 2011 at 4:29 am

the house is beautiful – and so homey already!! bummer about the curtain rods. i hate spending the time on a chore twice when it could be done in one try; grr!
    my mom loves those bailey’s creamers. it seems like they’re always on sale here, too!

Kaitlyn@TheTieDyeFiles — July 14, 2011 at 5:11 am

I always get sucked in a BB&B. So many things I could spend alllll my money on! And I definitely shopped at that TJ’s/Ralph’s while I was in an Diego, I would have been so starstruck if I saw you!

Between school and now blogging and volunteering, sometimes things get a little crazy. But I usually am able to find time to relax. I hope things calm down soon for you!

Katie — July 14, 2011 at 5:34 am

I would have been pissed about the curtain rods too. I need stuff like that done asap. Luckily the house I moved into had curtains in all the downstairs rooms (my office and living room) so I am not goign to worry about those for a while. I made the curtain for my bedroom the 2nd day I was here!

Is that wasabi arugula? HUh?

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — July 14th, 2011 at 10:25 am

never noticed that but yes it was wasabi arugula!

i wish i could hire you right now!! to do the curtains. oy vey. project from hell.

Beth — July 14, 2011 at 5:38 am

Hopefully the internet & curtain situation will all get straightened out for you today.
    The new place looks amazing!

Second shift: oh yeah! I lhave my “desk job” Mon-Fri, I work at the paintball field all day Sat & Sun, then there is the paperwork for the paintball field on Tues & Thurs evenings, housework, baking & unbaking, yard work, and the phone calls every evening for the paintball field. The last two days I have also been working from home supervising the work on our new driveway.
    I’m superbusy, and can’t imagine how you manage to do it all and still put out 2 blog posts a day. How do you do it?!

Leslie — July 14, 2011 at 5:39 am

Well, I’m just impressed you still manage to do all your posts in spite of moving, working, parenting, cleaning, organizing, etc. I feel lucky to get 3-4 posts a week on my blog! ;)

Your new place really is beautiful! Love it!

Holly @ The Runny Egg — July 14, 2011 at 5:54 am

Averie I will never understand how you fit so much into one day. After 8 hours of work each day I’m pretty wiped out — then I work out, make dinner, do laundry and then do any errands: grocery store, bank, Target, etc. And that is more than enough for me!

Heather (Where's the Beach) — July 14, 2011 at 6:02 am

I love going to BBB but man you can drop a small fortune. Love their coupons though!

Lesley Lifting Life — July 14, 2011 at 6:03 am

Such a cute Instagram pictures of Skylar :)

charlotte — July 14, 2011 at 6:19 am

Two shifts? Try three. It’s stress city over here but I can’t complain as I brought it on myself right? (Really? I can’t complain??) I love wood floors and minimalism too! Congrats on the new place, even if you were defeated by a curtain rod;)

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — July 14th, 2011 at 10:26 am

you have at least 7 shifts…one for each kid AND your hubs and you :)

i dont know how YOU do it!!!

Jackie @ That Deep Breath — July 14, 2011 at 6:27 am

You’re house is gorgeous! You definitely sound busy, but just think how good it’ll feel when you’re all done! Bed Bath and Beyond is one of my favorite stores. I could walk around for hours! Doesn’t sound so fun when you’re in there for curtain rods, though.

katie @ KatieDid — July 14, 2011 at 6:30 am

I love that you keep your place so simple and neat, and I’m sure this helps balance out your ‘three shifts’ of work/ life. I find minimalist living spaces keep me calmer also.
    Yes moving always seems to involve countless (endless?) trips to all the stores you listed. Quite the pain but necessary.. And I love the photo of skylar, so adorable and the editing is really cool!

Cait @ Cait hates Cake — July 14, 2011 at 7:17 am

There is no way I can ever complain about not having enough time or being over-worked when I see how much women like you have going on!!

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit — July 14, 2011 at 7:53 am

Oh gosh, what a busy day! I’m constantly go-go-go. Some days I feel like I’m running into my 5th shift. It’s nuts. I love that photo pf Skylar. She always looks so darn happy!

Emily @ comfortable home life — July 14, 2011 at 8:08 am

Girl I don’t know how you do it! I suppose you have no other choice though. Things must get done. My daytime job sometimes bleeds over into not-so-daytime and I try to look at blogging as a “second job” of sorts–that’s enough for me!

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen — July 14, 2011 at 8:49 am

I feel like blogging is my second shift! But, a fun one at least :)

Caroline — July 14, 2011 at 9:30 am

“faster than you can scream buttery nipple!” def gave me a little giggle :)

Amber K — July 14, 2011 at 9:30 am

I don’t know how I’ll do it if I become a mom. I can’t function without 8-9 hours of sleep. I am a walking zombie. Does it just adjust? Will I slowly become accustomed to the lack of sleep-induced sanity? People like you Averie are super women! Especially because you keep my dessert recipes stocked and thriving :)

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — July 14th, 2011 at 10:28 am

yes you do…I mean, if your child wakes up 7 times per night, you do too. you just DO. And then you still have to live your life the next day. So yes, you adjust :) That’s why mothers usually are running a few minutes late for things :) and are tired!

emily (a nutritionist eats) — July 14, 2011 at 9:51 am

I can relate, I have many “shifts” in life!
    Real job, 2nd job – helping kids get healthy summer camp (kind of volunteer), then blogging. :)
    Hectic and always busy, but I can’t imagine it any other way!

Angela (veggievinyasa) — July 14, 2011 at 10:58 am

Adorable pic of Skylar! Bailey’s coffee creamer sounds delicious.

Christine (The Raw Project) — July 14, 2011 at 11:21 am

No fun on the shower curtains, not sure I’d be thrilled to be at BB&B after a long day. But looks like everything is coming together nicely, awesome job!

Yes! After a long day at work, I come home to chores, meal prep, and still need to find time to workout and blog. Not sure how full-time working parents balance everything!

Juliette — July 14, 2011 at 11:45 am

I totally relate to second shift snarf, but my second shift is my job so I have to get all the other “fun” stuff (cooking, cleaning, laundry, workout, ect..) done before hand. It’s really hard to complain about my day to day stuff, when you are getting EVERYTHING done, kid in hand with a positive attitude. You really are superwomen.

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun — July 14, 2011 at 12:15 pm

People always comment on how M knows just what to do in front of a camera – I always respond with “daughter of a blogger”. LOL

And yes – motherhood work NEVER ends!

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) — July 14, 2011 at 12:23 pm

Look at those low, low, low produce prices!! We rarely see those bargains around here anymore, not even in season at farmer’s markets. :( Your stores look awesome. They make my stores look… old and expensive, lol.

You have more jobs than anyone I know!! I really don’t feel like I even have one compared to you, lol.

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) — July 14, 2011 at 12:25 pm

PS. If you bring your BB&B coupon that you get for 20% off a single item even after you buy something, they will give you the credit! If you join their email subscription, you get it emailed to you and you print it out. Then once you are a subscriber, they send coupons like every other day for 20% off one item. They come in handy. :)

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — July 14th, 2011 at 3:10 pm

oh you know i am all over that!

i have posted that in the past and didnt wanna sound like a broken record but yeah, i save them and have a stash about 50 deep :)

Jessica @ Dishin' About Nutrition — July 14, 2011 at 1:44 pm

Absolutely! I don’t know how you guys with kids do it….I get home from work and there is always a never ending list of cleaning, cooking, shopping and chores to do when I get home. Then you wake up the next day and do it all over again!!! It gets so monotonous! I think a 3 day weekend every weekend would really help the situation :)

susan — July 14, 2011 at 2:01 pm

Funny you mention the Baileys and shots, those shots make me do crazy things

April @ Grits and Granola Bars — July 14, 2011 at 2:31 pm

Your daughter is so precious! How old is she? I have two daughters, 4 and 2. I just love raising girls! :)

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — July 14, 2011 at 8:42 pm

Work is my first shift, and then school is my second … except in the summer!

Nathalie — July 16, 2011 at 8:16 am

Seriously, how do you manage to fit everything into 24 h??!! I think you may be Wonderwoman reincarnate ;-) Yep, that must be it…
    Lovely pic of Skylar- she’s such a cutie with her long golden locks, totally taking after her mum :-)

Krista — July 19, 2011 at 10:31 am

I often think as I leave work that I’m on my way home to my “real” full time job, so I always feel like I’m on 2 shifts! LOL