Beautiful Eyes

I entered this photo in i Heart Faces Beautiful Eyes Photo Challenge

Maybe I’ll have better luck with this photo and judging than I did hereJudging can be harsh!

I’m entry #690The exact number is switching a bit due to other entrants dropping out or being disqualified.

Not sure I hold out too much hope of winning anything but it’s fun to try and play along.

And if you have photography questions, editing questions, camera questions, see my Photography Section for more.

From my last post, Free Samples, it was fun hearing what you’ve sampled lately and many of you said that you think free samples taste better in the store than when you get them home, too.  Glad I’m not alone.

1. Who do you know with beautiful eyes?

Of course every mother is say her child’s eyes are beautiful and I am no exception.  I love Skylar’s eyes!

2. Do you think your eyes are beautiful?  What color are they?

One feature I get complimented on are my eyes.   But I have no idea what color they are!

Some days they are blue, other days green.

Other days blue-green.

And other days more green-blue.

I actually don’t know what I currently have listed on my driver’s license. Blue or green.  They’re that fickle.

They are never the same color twice!  When I am out in the sun, they seem to get more vibrant and also they fade.  Sometimes I think it’s just my skin looking darker than makes my eyes look lighter.  However, I think my eyes actually “bleach out” a bit in the sun.  No lectures on cataracts and sun damage please.  Just musing and pondering and sharing out loud here.

They are also prone to getting red and bloodshot, in general.  A trait from my dad who has notoriously bloodshot-prone eyes.

Sometimes when I look at Skylar it’s like looking at my father.  Same eyes, same expression in her eyes.  The 4 year old female version of him.  It’s amazing how powerful genetics are!

See this post for other pictures of Skylar’s braids and eyes and her eye color is pretty fickle and ever-changing, too.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming on the next post.  It’s a recipe you won’t want to miss.  At all.  Hint: It may involve something kind of like this.  Kind of.

45 Responses to “Beautiful Eyes”

Lorin — August 15, 2011 at 3:03 pm

Wow! Her eyes are really pretty! By the way, I’m making your cookie dough marshmellow rice krispy treat thing for my friend’s birthday and I was just wondering if premade store-bought cookie dough would work? I think it would but I just want to make sure!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — August 15th, 2011 at 3:10 pm

Premade storebought cookie dough DOES have eggs in it and they tell you not to eat raw dough. Then again, many of us do :) To each her own on that one. Your call, either make your own or buy premade and “risk it”..I personally think the risk is super low and have spent a lifetime eating raw dough. :)

• Lorin replied: — August 15th, 2011 at 7:05 pm

Oh yeah I forgot that it is no bake!

VeggieGirl — August 15, 2011 at 3:29 pm

Suave Slav’s eyes are incredible – they’re big, blue, and shine brightly!

This makes me sound cocky, but I DO love my eyes – my blog icon photo really showcases my huge, hazel eyes :D

Lynn — August 15, 2011 at 3:30 pm

She looks Gorgeous!! Good Luck!

Heather (Where's the Beach) — August 15, 2011 at 3:36 pm

My eyes a very dark brown and I’ve never thought they were very pretty to be honest. But I see other brown-eyes and think they are pretty. My dad actually has gorgeous hazel eyes. And I love how her eyes look in that picture. Simply gorgeous.

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} — August 15, 2011 at 3:44 pm

Good luck in the contest! Her eyes are gorgeous.

My eyes sound a lot like yours–ever changing. The other day Meghan asked, “What color are Mommy’s eyes?” and I said, “blue”. Tim chimed in with, “Aren’t your eyes green?” Meghan’s got big brown eyes that I just love.

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — August 15, 2011 at 3:49 pm

I love that shot– beautiful! Good luck in the competition!

cathy — August 15, 2011 at 3:58 pm

that’s a wonderful photos, averie! good luck in the contest! you just never know!!!
    my eyes are green and i have to say i’m fond of them! :)
    i like to wear green because then the colour really pops!
    i hate wearing sunglasses, in aruba. i’ve never thought to notice if they change colour down there, with all that sun exposure!
    excited to see your next recipe!

Jess@HealthyExposures — August 15, 2011 at 4:12 pm

I love that photo! And I don’t think it could be anymore suited to the “beautiful eyes” category. Excited for you!

My eyes are so plain. I’ve always longed to be the girl with beautiful blue eyes, or green, or anything other than brown…unfortunately, you can’t dye them like you can hair :P

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit — August 15, 2011 at 4:42 pm

Good luck :)
    My sister has amazing eyes. They’re so different from mine. When we were kids our grandpa would say that my eyes looked like the pebbles on a beach and my sisters the ocean. Loved when he said that!

Kat — August 15, 2011 at 4:54 pm

Your daughter is beautiful!

Where I live, most people my age are Chinese, so they have have beautiful almond shaped super dark brown eyes.

I have hazel eyes, more golden brown than green though. Might be brown on my driver’s licence, actually. I like them, especially since I got lucky with the long eyelashes :)

Alex@Spoonful of Sugar Free — August 15, 2011 at 4:59 pm

Good luck in the contest!

I have light blue eyes, and yes, I always get compliments on them. They really “pop” when I wear blue for some reason! And I love them :D My favorite color is blue!

Lisa — August 15, 2011 at 5:51 pm

I guess I don’t have a thing for anyone’s eyes (yet).
    My eyes are greenish brown…or brownish green, depending on the day. If I wear a green shirt, definitely green. Brown shirt=brown eyes….but other than that, it’s not as predictable. I never thought about the sun playing a role, but I see how it could!

Good luck with the photo contest!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — August 15, 2011 at 5:56 pm

My eyes change colors all the time too! They’re different depending on what i’m wearing or the weather!

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen — August 15, 2011 at 6:05 pm

That picture of Skylar is gorgeous! I actually think my brother’s eyes are beautiful. Our entire family is pretty much brown eyes and nothing special but, his are the perfect blue. We always joke with him (and my mom) that he got them from the milk man b/c they are so random in the family!

julie — August 15, 2011 at 6:21 pm

gahhh skylar looks GORGEOUS in that picture! she better win or else!

also i definitely need to pick up some of those chili nuts from tjs! i feel like they’ve been having amazing new things lately (even though i knw theyre not really new haha)

VEGirl — August 15, 2011 at 6:38 pm

My eyes, people say, have a lot of different little colors in them. they are predominantly brown but I like them :). Skylar’s eyes, however, are stunners!

Katie — August 15, 2011 at 6:55 pm

My eyes are bright blue. Always. No matter what I wear, cloudy or sunny, doesn’t matter. They are probably my only feature that I have never hated.

Skylar is a knockout. For real.

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — August 15th, 2011 at 7:11 pm

knockout for real…thank you. I’ll tell Scott to get deadbolt the doors from the boys. He said he’s already going to :)

Colleen — August 15, 2011 at 6:58 pm

Skylar is so gorgeous! My eyes are like a dark caramel-y brown :) I love it when you look in the mirror by a window early on a sunny morning, they are glossy and glittery

Bryant — August 15, 2011 at 7:03 pm

Coming out of LurkerDom to say that picture is Fantastic! She is gorgeous and the photography is stunning.

dragonmamma/naomi — August 15, 2011 at 7:05 pm

Your picture is actually #693, not #698. Wow, lots of competition, it’ll really be a feather in your cap if you win.
    Mine are hazel. Lots of us hazel-eyed people here. I’m not very happy with the way they look in the past several years; my upper eye-lids are getting quite droopy and “hooded”. I guess I could be euphemistic and say my face is getting more character!

katie @ KatieDid — August 15, 2011 at 7:33 pm

Good luck with the photo, it’s a stunning shot of her. I literally just finished watching the documentary about that national geographic picture of the afghani girl with the piercing green eyes. I’ve always loved that picture. Eyes tell such a story.

kris (everyday oats) — August 15, 2011 at 8:04 pm

Good luck with the contest! Skylar has gorgeous eyes!

Christine (The Raw Project) — August 15, 2011 at 9:25 pm

Awesome entry, it’s a great picture! Good luck!

1. My hubby. :-)
    2. Yes, but they’re such a dark blue they almost look black sometimes.

Marla — August 15, 2011 at 9:59 pm

Averie, that photo is beautiful! I had never heard of that contest until now. Just added an entry. What the hack right ;)

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — August 16th, 2011 at 1:11 am

Well I stopped putting “healthy living blogs” into my Reader and now it’s photography or home decor :) And this was the first time Ive entered one of those contests on iheartfaces. They do one per week. Next week it’s pets (don’t have any) so figured I better try the eyes :)

Anxious to see what you entered!

Notyet100 — August 16, 2011 at 3:46 am

My eyes are gray,..luved the pic,.ur daughter is so cute

Rachel @ the Peach & the Pit — August 16, 2011 at 6:56 am

Her eyes are so beautiful! Good luck in the contest :) My entire family has blue eyes, but all is various shades.

Sherri Ogg — August 16, 2011 at 8:30 am

I have the same eye’s as you do. I say they’re green, hubby says they’re blue. Some days they are a crazy combo of both. I am blonde but when I get crazy and dye my hair darker my eyes actually change to grey (super crazy). My oldest son actually has gold eyes, it is the most amazing color I have ever seen. My husband (not my childrens father) has the bluest eyes they are almost see through!!!

Kris | iheartwellness.com — August 16, 2011 at 9:12 am

Gorgeous pic of Skylar!!!!! She really does have beautiful eyes!!!

I have hazel….kinda more green. I used to always get complimented on my eyes when younger as my eyelashes were super thick and shiny!!
    xxoo

Amber K — August 16, 2011 at 9:34 am

I swear all kids have the best eyes! So it’s no wonder all parents think their kids’ eyes are beautiful :)

I like my eyes, they are hazel. Shifting between brown and green and they actually remind me of the stone Tiger’s Eye. Although, this got me thinking. I must be a terrible wife! Because I am trying to think of what color my husband’s eyes are….and I have no idea! ha! I’ll have to ask him, because now it’s driving me crazy!

Kaitlyn@TheTieDyeFiles — August 16, 2011 at 10:29 am

Skylar’s eyes are beautiful! What a gorgeous photo. Everyone tells me I have nice eyes, but like you they’re chameleons! They’re more green than blue, but when I was little they were ONLY blue. I always felt left out because my mom and siblings all have dark brown eyes and hair, and I had lighter hair with green eyes. now I like being different!

Erica — August 16, 2011 at 10:44 am

What a fabulous picture!! She def has amazing eyes. My eyes are blue and i do think theyre pretty!! Not sure color Kaylin’s will be yet!

Maris (In Good Taste) — August 16, 2011 at 10:47 am

She is so gorgeous! Winner for sure!

Jocelyn @ Peace Love Nutrition — August 16, 2011 at 12:44 pm

Good luck! Skylar has gorgeous eyes!

When I was younger (teens) all I wanted was Blue eyes. I thought in order to be pretty you had to have blue eyes (mine are green/hazel) so I convinced my mom to let me get blue contacts. I used to wear them to school and out and I finally thought I was pretty.

Years later- (now in my mid- 20s) I can’t believe I did that! My hazel eyes are my favorite feature. It took me a while to accept and love how I was naturally (I still have hair issues! haha) but I’m getting there : )

xo

Jocelyn

Ali @ Urbanfruitbat — August 17, 2011 at 5:22 pm

She really is just beautiful. As are her eyes. So are you and your eyes!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — August 18, 2011 at 12:56 pm

She definitely does have beautiful eyes! Good luck in the contest!

jen — August 18, 2011 at 10:09 pm

My eyes are blue but go grey and I always get asked if I have colored contacts in because the color is just amazing so they say. I love my eyes and always high light them when I go out with my makeup choices. My mother always says I have my dad’s sisters eyes, I hope I pass them on to one of my future kids!

• jen replied: — August 18th, 2011 at 10:10 pm

forgot to add I got pulled over once and the cop gave me a hard time because I listed my eyes as blue and he said they were grey is there even gray as a choice lol!