Beauty Then & Now

I was walking around my neighborhood and noticed these tshirts in a store window.

I saw these and immediately thought of Jessica

And then I saw this one.  I love Wonder Woman!

Growing up, I thought Lynda Carter as Wonder Woman was the end all, be all.

I loved Wonder Woman so much that once I even had Wonder Woman checks.

When Scott and I were first dating and he realized I had Wonder Woman checks I think he questioned my sanity.  But I told him the ones prior to that were Betty Boop and all of a sudden, WW checks weren’t so out there.

Growing up I also thought Catherine Bach, aka Daisy from the Dukes of Hazard, was pretty much a Goddess

Suzanne Sommers as Chrissy had a certain something about her that I loved.  Maybe it was that blond, blonde hair.

Because Chrissy’s personality drove me a little nuts but I loved her blonde, stick straight hair.

I also thought Brady Bunch Girls, especially Marsha, were pretty.

Judgment and perspective.  How much of that do we have as kids?

But the more burning question is what helped make Wonder Woman so Wonderful?

I bet these would work: White Chocolate Blondies with Chocolate Peanut Butter Frosting

They help me me feel a little more wonderful on those less-than-wonderful days.

From my last post, Seasonal & Must’s, I liked hearing what your must have’s no matter the season are, and also what you’re looking forward to this fall.  I can’t believe fall is around the corner.  I want it to be summer forever!

1. Who did you think was pretty or beautiful or who did you idolize when you were growing up?  Do you still think they’re attractive or do you wonder what was I thinking?

As I look back at some of these pictures I do wonder what was I thinking on some of them.

Was it just that I was a child and idolized these women like little girls do?  But I mean c’mon, you have to admit Wonder Woman and Daisy Duke did have great 70s hair.  Those long full manes which I will always love.

But the70s and 80s were an interesting looking couple decades.  Complete with lots of fashion don’ts by today’s standards.  However, I’m sure as we look back on photos from today in twenty or thirty years we’ll laugh ourselves silly.  We’ll also probably laugh about this thing called the blogosphere and blogging.

All of you who are 10 years younger than me and were little girls when Britney Spears and Hannah Montana were prancing around in their plaid skirts and little outfits and you idolized them, Yeah, I’m talking to you, what do you think of them now?   See, Chrissy Snow doesn’t look so silly after all.

Beauty and what was once considered beautiful and what wasn’t, and how that has changed over not only modern times, but over the past hundreds or thousands of years, is so fascinating to me.  If I had extra time on my hands, reading anthropological accounts of it all would be great.  But I don’t and photography is where it’s at for me in all my spare time lately.

2. What TV shows did you watch as a kid?  What was your after school TV programming lineup?

I was run ragged with sports practice, band practice, Girl Scouts, more sports practice and training, and a hardcore academic lineup from a very young age, so I didn’t have much tv time.

Yet when I think back to my childhood, some of my fondest memories are of coming home on the rare occasion from school and watching re-runs of Scooby Doo, the Brady Bunch, Three’s Company (which I still love to this day and have almost every episode memorized) or maybe a little evening lineup of the Huxstables, i.e. The Cosby Show.  And if I could do it all with and Coca-Cola on ice, a bowl of Doritos (my love of them inspired this dip) or some underbaked brownies, I was super happy.

P.S. Last chance for the Say NO to Auto Giveaway. Winner announced Friday!

51 Responses to “Beauty Then & Now”

Heather (Where's the Beach) — August 18, 2011 at 1:01 pm

What is it with freaking bacon? My coworkers are obsessed. Imagine having to smell it being nuked in the freaking microwave. YUCK. I loved I Dream of Genie and had “Genie” PJs. I think one of the all-time classic beauties is Audry Hepburn. Hands down.

Jessica @ Jess Go Bananas — August 18, 2011 at 1:20 pm

Growing up I idolized Britney Spears and Christina Aguilaria. And Mary-kate and Ashley Oslen – Gah – Loved them! I used to pretend that I was a twin and that I was Mary-Kate. I more idolize the twins now for their fashion sense. :) I don’t so much idolize Britney or Christina today, but I am happy that Britney got up out of her hole, but unfortunately Christina seems to be digging hers…
    When I used to get home from school Full House was where it was at! Also, a

Laurie M. — August 18, 2011 at 1:26 pm

As a kid I watched I Dream Of Jeannie, Bewitched, and sister, sister! I started watching the old shows because that’s what my dad liked to watch. Even now, I still watch them on occasion. I thought Barbara Eden was the prettiest woman alive. I still think she’s gorgeous!

Katie @ Marathon Mama — August 18, 2011 at 1:30 pm

I was totally hooked on Shera, and watched whenever possible. Now, I play the role of Wonder Woman in my little three year old’s “Justice League” that he formed, and quite honestly I love the association with such a strong woman. Three’s Company was on the “do not watch’ list in our house, so I watched at the neighbors, and also loved Chrissy. I am a full on brunette, but often think of going blonde…and with a blonde husband and sons, would that be totally crazy?

Alexa @ Simple Eats — August 18, 2011 at 2:05 pm

So interesting to see how beauty has changed over the years! Growing up, I wasn’t allowed to watch too many cartoons, and I’m glad that my parents actually lessened my amount of TV that I watched!

Holly @ The Runny Egg — August 18, 2011 at 2:10 pm

Growing up I thought the girls from Saved by the Bell and 90210 were so beautiful — especially Kelly (the blond) on 90210. Now I look at their clothes, hair and makeup and think “what was I thinking???” Yikes. I still think most of them are beautiful, but the styling was a little crazy.

We also watched a lot of Little House on the Prairie — my mom loved (and still loves) that show — other than that we loved game shows like Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy.

Christine (The Raw Project) — August 18, 2011 at 2:12 pm

Too funny on the Wonder Woman checks, that’s great. Love the old school TV throwback.

1. Punky Brewster, DJ from Full House for her long hair, and Kelly from 90210.
    2. Punky Brewster, Inspector Gadget, Smurfs, Talespin, Full House, 90210, Blossom, Clarrisa Explains It All, Welcome Freshman because I actually went to school with one of the stars, X-Files, etc. :-)

• Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg replied: — August 18th, 2011 at 2:48 pm

Christine, who did you go to school with from Welcome Freshmen?!? I loved that show!!!

Kate @ RunWithKate — August 18, 2011 at 2:46 pm

GREAT POST! This got me thinking!

Wonder Woman = Drop Dead Gorgeous!

Growing up I idolized …. okay, you’re going to think I am so weird for this… Michelle Pfeiffer and Meg Ryan. I know – RANDOM!

Today, I think Natalie Portman is just the most beautiful woman ever! :)

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — August 18, 2011 at 2:47 pm

Haha…growing up, I wanted to BE Melody from Hey Dude…so random. I also thought Marcia Brady was very pretty :-)

Katie — August 18, 2011 at 3:40 pm

I am sure there are some i can’t think of now, but all the comes to mind is this cartoon Gem Truly outrageous- she had pink hair- i thought she was so beautiful and wanted to be her. sometimes my older sister would put gem makeup on me. :)

Katie — August 18, 2011 at 3:42 pm

it was actually called “jem”. jem was her “alter ego” lol dont know if anyone else every watched it…

Meredith (Reeftraveler) — August 18, 2011 at 4:06 pm

I loved to read fashion magazines growing up, so the women I thought were beautiful were Christy Turlington, Linda Evangelista, Stephanie Seymour and Naomi Campbell. I still think each of those ladies is drop dead gorgeous!

Hands down my favorite TV show was The Brady Bunch. I also loved The Munsters, The Addams Family, I Dream of Jeannie and Bewitched!

Lisa — August 18, 2011 at 4:10 pm

omg, funny….I was a huge fan of Kirk Cameron when I was growing up. He really was my fave guy. As far as girls, I’m not sure….I specifically remember all the girls from the original Saved by the Bell, but I also tended to like hayley mills in the Parent Trap and some of those…
    The wonderful thing now (which I’m sure you’ll experience with Skylar) is that my nephew (who I’m claiming as my own) is now almost 8 and he LOVES old movies like Pete’s Dragon and Swiss Family Robinson….he even loves Annie (although he probably wouldn’t admit that if asked). I get to re-live the childhood stuff, which is a different topic than what you’re talking about but it feels related!
    Brady Bunch was always a fave….but I was partial to Jan :)

Maris (In Good Taste) — August 18, 2011 at 4:28 pm

Scott must of been really in love!!!

julie — August 18, 2011 at 4:40 pm

when i was in elementary school i used to come home for lunch everyday and watching eureka’s castle and then the price is right, so my two idols were a dragon thing and the models from the price is right hahaha look how far that got me

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine — August 18, 2011 at 4:59 pm

My favorite celebrities have always looked very similar: blonde hair and blue eyes. Maybe because I knew I had the same features? Not really sure. Growing up, I had obsessions with Gwyneth Paltrow, Tara Lipinski (remember when she won gold in Nagano?!), Cameron Diaz, the Olsen Twins, and, weirdly, Grace Kelly. All are still pretty normal now, so I guess I’m not too embarrassed…

Naomi(onefitfoodie) — August 18, 2011 at 5:13 pm

love love loveddd mariah carey like worshipped…i had books and cut out every magazine cut out and loved her!! and then i saw her in concert and still loved her. She will forever remain my first idol! :)

Brooke — August 18, 2011 at 5:16 pm

This is SO embarrassing…

I was in LOVE with Arnold Schwartzenager….

Not so much now.

Brooke

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — August 18, 2011 at 5:41 pm

I wasn’t allowed to watch TV after school – only on the weekends! My parents were sttrict, but I’ll probably be that way too!

Erica — August 18, 2011 at 6:00 pm

Great post, i thought the disney princesses were gorgeousssss! Loved shirley temple too

Kelli — August 18, 2011 at 6:24 pm

Busted, Totally a Britney Spears fan. I have some pictures of me in belly shirts to prove it!

My daughter and I made your pb butterscotch bars tonight. They rock!!!! Perfect dessert to make with kids. I swear she could make them herself! Thanks for the great recipe!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — August 18th, 2011 at 7:02 pm

Ok I have about 3 recipes that have butterscotch in them…all bars…so I don’t know which ones you made!? But glad you liked them and they were easy!

Gimme the actual title or some other ingredients that were in it…that way it will narrow it down for me :)

Natasha — August 18, 2011 at 6:36 pm

Elizabeth from Eight Is Enough!

(I am totally aging myself here.)

Kaitlyn@TheTieDyeFiles — August 18, 2011 at 6:38 pm

I loved the Brady Bunch!! Though it was in syndication when I was little. I remember loving school vacations and sick days because we got to watch The Price is Right :)

Sarah @ Sarah's Modern Bites — August 18, 2011 at 7:01 pm

oh man my boyfriend would LOVE those bacon T-Shirts hahaha

So, growing up (( was born in 1982) I believe that I had atypical tastes because my Mother was super eclectic and exposed my sister and I to everything including nher undying love for Star Trek and old movies!

I grew up adoring Cary Grant, William Shatner, Jonathan Frakes and Patrick Stewart! haha For gals I thought the girls on Full House and Saved by The Bell were gorgeous…. as well as Deanna Troy on Star Trek the next Generation… I am really exposing my mega dory background here!

Kelli — August 18, 2011 at 7:06 pm

Yes, you do! We made the peanut butter marshmallow bars :)

Tracy @ Commit to Fit — August 18, 2011 at 7:09 pm

I am so with you about Three’s Company. I used to watch that show 5 times a day, my Mom would make me turn it off. Now I have it on DVD :)

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit — August 18, 2011 at 7:41 pm

I loved Kate Beckinsale as a kid. The red dresses, dark hair, red lipstick… I would keep the lipstick in my backpack and put it on at school. I probably looked like a fool, but I thought it was the coolest thing ever. Looking back, she’s classy and amazing, so I don’t regret it at all!

Katie — August 18, 2011 at 7:43 pm

I bought that top bacon t-shirt for my brother for his birthday a couple years ago. :D

Kelli — August 18, 2011 at 7:49 pm

Those are on my list too! You and I would have some fun in the kitchen together!!! I would like to add that I love all your veggie recipes too, but the desserts are always more fun to talk about! Your veganaise dressing is my daughter’s new dip!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — August 18th, 2011 at 7:53 pm

I love the Vegenaise dip and I pretty much eat it on everything. I even stir fry veggies with it, bake it into veggie dishes, etc. Versatile.

And yes, desserts are more fun that veggies and we totally would have so much fun together in the kitch!

bakerbynature — August 18, 2011 at 8:03 pm

I just called my mom to tell her about the betty boop checks you had prior to wonder woman! She’s had a betty boop check card for years and never understands why cashiers give her funny looks. She says just because she’s in her 50′s doesn’t mean she can’t love her boop!

Candy @ Healthy in Candy Land — August 18, 2011 at 8:27 pm

Hi Averie, I just recently found your blog, and wanted to say hello.

I too was a huge Wonder Woman fan. I wanted to be her when I grew up. (But then, I also idolized Punky Brewster, so what does that say? Hmmm.) My favorite show was hands down, Little House on the Prairie, and I also loved Full House and The Cosby Show. Ah, yes, those were the days…

Katharina — August 18, 2011 at 8:55 pm

I love this post! Wonder Woman and Daisy Duke were total BABES!!!

1. I thought Katie Holmes was really pretty, along with Jennifer Garner when the show Alias first aired. I also thought the Victoria’s Secret models were really pretty :) especially this blonde one that was older than the others, but she doesn’t model for them anymore

2. Oh gosh. I watched Rugrats, The Wonder Years, old Twilight Zone episodes, OH! And Scooby Doo :D

XO!!!

Lorin — August 18, 2011 at 9:10 pm

I was thinking about making one of your bar recipes. What do you like best the chocolate chip cookie dough stuffed marshmellow bars or the peanut butter marshmellow squares with vegan chocolate frosting?

Jessica — August 18, 2011 at 10:09 pm

After school tv shows – so many I remember loving! After school was always Full House, Little House on the Prarie, or the cartoon Doug. But mostly I remember loving it on weekends when I could stay up late to watch Nick at Night, because my absolute favorites included I Love Lucy, Bewitched, and the Munsters.

Ali @ Urbanfruitbat — August 18, 2011 at 10:17 pm

Haha, I think all the woman you thought were beautiful were! And still are! I totally adored the Spice Girls, and all the disney princesses. I think I still think they are all beautiful, haha. Baby Spice all the way

Sara (The Veggie Eco-Life) — August 19, 2011 at 2:51 am

I LOVED Wonder Woman! I wanted a suit like hers…

I actually still do.

Ilana — August 19, 2011 at 3:55 am

Lucy Lawless was the be all end all to me. Still love her! Also Kelly on Saved By The Bell. I wasnt much of a TV girl, more of the nerdy book girl haha not much has changed. Although I did really like Melissa Joan hart and looking back … bleh!!

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite — August 19, 2011 at 7:16 am

When I was in elementary school, I used to beg my parents to let me stay up until 10 so that I could watch Doogie Howser at 9. Oh Neil Patrick Harris…who knew that 20+ years later, I’d still love you? True story.

Amber K — August 19, 2011 at 10:32 am

I loved watching Saved by the Bell; I wanted to BE Kelly Kapowski. She was so pretty and I thought Zach Morris was hot, hot, hot :)

I also watched Full House, Step by Step, and basically the whole TGIF line-up. Although I also really liked cartoons and my mom was constantly watching older shows. The TV was pretty much always on when I was a kid.

Marla — August 19, 2011 at 4:21 pm

I love this whimsical post. I have always loved Wonder Woman. Still think she is one of the hottest chicks ever known to walk the Earth. Used to think some of the gals from the show Dallas were hot too. Victoria Principle is the 1st one I can think of….

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — August 19th, 2011 at 6:47 pm

Omg I almost linked Victoria P and the Dallas ladies…love them
      And yes, Wonder Woman..total babe :)

Jacqueline — August 19, 2011 at 9:47 pm

I always thought Vivien Leigh was the most timeless beauty….even though she was much, much before my time. I used to wish I had dark hair like hers.
    Also, Keri Russel because she was so down to earth and especially Katie Holmes.. I loved Dawsons Creek haha
    This is my first time on your blog…love it!