Friday Favorites

I feel fall in the air.  And I don’t really like it.

I was out running errands yesterday and although it’s sunny, crisp, and what many people would consider “perfect weather” here in San Diego, i.e. 72F, sunny, ever so slight breeze, no clouds, no bugs, for me, I wish it were warmer.

It honestly never felt like summer to me this year.   I turned on the A/C one time for an hour in our other house, and other than that, haven’t needed it.

I wish I was sweating buckets here

But Fall is in the air here whether I like it or not.

I am praying for some of the hot days we usually get here in September and October, usually hotter than it was all summer.  Fingers crossed for those!

In the meantime, let’s talk Friday Favorites.

In no particular order, here are some of my Favorites:

1. Instagram.   I love it.  It’s like Twitter but with pictures.

It may be silly walking around taking pictures of what I’m up to during the day and then posting a couple of them to IG but no sillier than blog posts, Facebook updates, Tweets, or any other social media.  It’s all pretty silly, but some of it I like better than others.

167308188160556206157381967
You don’t even need an iPhone to play along.  Check this out.

2. I am still in lust

Thanks, Kitchen Aid, for making me *this close* to relieving myself of some cashola.  Thanks a lot.

3. Another favorite are my Nike Air Vomero shoes

I just re-buy them when I grind the heels down and rip through the toesNo one ever said running was easy on shoes.

Some color palettes I like better than others.   Not really a fan of the red/gray but I’m sure by my next pair, I’ll like the colors they have out better.

4. After a run, a favorite includes having a White Chocolate Vanilla Marshmallow Cake Bar

4 Layers of sweet gooey heaven.  And if that doesn’t put some spring in your step on the way back to the house knowing you have one of these waiting for you, what does!

5. This chutney.  A total favorite.

If you don’t want to dip your cucumbers, broccoli, or zucchini sticks in it; put it on top of salads or edamame, you could always just eat it with a spoon.   Call me crazy but I do.  That sweet heat is addicting!

Ok, make tofu with it.

Mango Ginger Maple Tofu

6. I am never without this steviaOn Fridays or any other day.  A big time fave for me.

Use iHerb.com (code AVE630) to save $5 off your order of stevia, supplements, nooch, or tons of other things you just “have to have”.

7. My Google Reader.  I have a love-hate relationship with it but it helps keep my 250 or so nearest and dearest friends and their blogs somewhat organized.  Without it, I’d be a total mess!  That, or have tons more time to do things away from my desk.  <– but that’s a whole other conversation.

8. Skylar smiling and dancing is always a fave

9. Frozen grapes = one of my fave snacks lately

10. Self explanatory favorite: Fudgy Nutella Brownies with Cream Cheese Frosting

From my last post, Veggies & Pictures, many of you have made online photo books before it sounds like.  I want to make another one!  And thanks for filling me in on if you’re a canned, frozen, or fresh person.

1. What are your Friday Favorites?  Or anything that you’ve been loving lately?

2. Weekend plans?

I’m working, hopefully doing a little relaxing cooking or baking, maybe taking some pictures, and will be spending time with my #1 fave person: Skylar!

TGIF baby!

54 Responses to “Friday Favorites”

Janine M. — August 12, 2011 at 12:10 am

We went to Seaport Village tonight for dinner. LOVE Edgewater Grill, so good, best veggie pizza I ever had, but I was hoping for a warm summer night and it was freezing :(

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — August 12th, 2011 at 3:04 am

how bout it, I know, it’s freezing. I say that to non-California people and they think I’m being a wimp but really, it’s cold here!

Maris (In Good Taste) — August 12, 2011 at 2:16 am

You have perfect weather there! Fun list of favorites!

Sanjeeta kk — August 12, 2011 at 2:42 am

You made my day with those cheerful pictures and that delightful cake bar!

Jess@HealthyExposures — August 12, 2011 at 3:07 am

Yesterday was the first day fall was really in the air for us here, too! Oh, it was a beautiful day ;) The sunny, breezy 70′s was such a nice change from the hot, humid high 80′s. Although leaving for my run in the a.m. was a little more difficult as it was a biiiit too chilly for short sleeves! haha.

Great favorites! I love seeing your instagram shots on here :)

cathy — August 12, 2011 at 3:11 am

“I feel fall in the air. And I don’t really like it.” – > i hear you! yesterday morning when i stepped out for my run, i was genuinely surprised by the cool feel to the air…it made me sad! i do not want summer to end!
    i wish i was sweating tons *there,* too!
    vomeros – sorry, i forget if you get the mens or womens…for women, we have bright purple in our store right now – skylar would make you wear them 24-7 if she saw them!!!
    enjoy your day, averie!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — August 12th, 2011 at 3:26 am

have to get mens b/c i dont fit into the ladies size range :(

i would KILL for a pretty purple pair! instead, it’s the man themed colors. not a fan!

Lauren — August 12, 2011 at 3:23 am

I said the exact same thing yesterday! Fall is definitely in the air.

I’ve seen those Nike shoes before and thought they looked so cool. I actually need a new pair so these might be next.

Have a great Friday!

Emily — August 12, 2011 at 4:00 am

It felt like October in upstate NY yesterday! I had to wear a jacket running!

Shay — August 12, 2011 at 4:23 am

Massive weekend plans: nothing, nothing, with a side of more nothing. Actually, I’ll be combing through my closet and deciding what clothes I need for fall (ugh). I go to school in NC but am currently in PA and freezing my tush off at the moment! So I can commiserate with your crisp fall feeling. How cool does it actually get where you are in the fall and winter?

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — August 12th, 2011 at 4:33 am

30s and 40s at night in true winter, 50s & 60s daytime

i used to live in wilmington/wrightsville beach NC. similar weather to there, actually.

• Shay replied: — August 12th, 2011 at 4:36 am

Wow you are up early! Or is it late?

Yes, very similar temps! I think I need to go further south.

dragonmamma/naomi — August 12, 2011 at 4:35 am

I’ve got the same wimpy summer weather, and my veggie plants are languishing for some real heat. I’ve got a tomato plant loaded down with dozens of huge green tomatoes that just won’t turn red!
    Off to do a medicine ball workout this morning, then the day is mine to do whatever I please. Probably some shopping, some gardening, some house-cleaning, some reading.

Gena — August 12, 2011 at 4:38 am

Oh, Averie! Fall is definitely my fave season. Without even a little doubt. I can’t wait to feel the chill of autumn air here in DC — jealous! :)

Madeline - Greens and Jeans — August 12, 2011 at 4:51 am

We are FINALLY getting some beautiful weather! I only have half of a weekend (off to Colorado on Sunday), but tomorrow I’m hopefully going biking and picnicing with Colin!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — August 12, 2011 at 5:17 am

After 100 degree days in Alabama, believe it or not, I’m ready for fall! Of course, I think it’s going to take a while longer to get here…now that we don’t live in PA anymore!

Heather (Where's the Beach) — August 12, 2011 at 5:25 am

I can’t imagine not turning on the AC. Everything in the house would wilt or melt if we didn’t. I love the rare times when we don’t need heat or air going and can open the windows. Such a refreshing change.

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — August 12th, 2011 at 5:41 am

only about 72F as a high during the day with the coastal breeze too. if i was hot, id put it on but seriously i put my seat heaters on my car on at night :)

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — August 12, 2011 at 5:38 am

I have had my air running ALL summer!!! How can you live in Cali and not have it running?

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — August 12th, 2011 at 5:41 am

it’s not hot here! like 72F as a high during the day with the coastal breeze too. if i was hot, id put it on but seriously i put my seat heaters on my car on at night :)

Charlie (The Runner Beans) — August 12, 2011 at 6:01 am

Hi, I am coming to both Pheonix and San Diego in two weeks time and was wondering if there are any restuarants/bakeries that you can recommend? I am really keen to try some that are not on the tourist trail too much and are not all burger and chips!! thanks x

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat — August 12, 2011 at 6:07 am

I really need to make TJs trip – that chutney sounds like the perfect topping for pretty much ANYTHING.

katie @ KatieDid — August 12, 2011 at 6:31 am

A new favorite bar I discovered last night with friends (it was technically friday when we were there, so I guess that counts). They had really cool liquors like rosemary infused vodka, and I got the chipotle tequila, cilantro, and pear juice mixed drink… the “sweet heat was addicting” just like that chutney of yours!

Katie — August 12, 2011 at 6:33 am

Ugh. I know. I was talking to a colleague yesterday about how it felt like fall. And the apple tree in my yard actually has apples on it now! TONS of them. Sigh. Apples = fall to me.

Not that I dont love fall. I just love summer more, and I am not ready for classes to start. A note to students: college professors dread the first day just as much as you do! Maybe more.

Krista — August 12, 2011 at 7:33 am

I feel fall in the air this week, too and find it SO depressing!! Summer’s in Canada are short enough! :( Plans this weekend = a soccer tournament one city over that Noah is in. Should be fun!! Hope you have a great weekend, too….

Ari@ThE DiVa DiSh — August 12, 2011 at 7:58 am

I Love your friday favorites :) Especially adorable skylar :) My friday favorites would have to be that my hubby isn’t at school today!! YES!! And our weekend plans are attending his graduation tomorrow!! :) so excited! It’s finally here :) lol

Meredith (Reeftraveler) — August 12, 2011 at 7:59 am

I’ve always thought that CA was cool in the summer compared to New York. It seems ironic to us east coasters…

Right now I am loving-
    My Vitamix
    Sunflower seed butter – why did it take me so long to discover this?
    My brand new all natural latex mattress
    New bed linens from Restoration Hardware – so soft
    Fresh New Jersey corn on the cob – in season right now!
    Mango Coconut Water
    Loose leaf teas (an earthy green tea is my fave)
    Tahitian Monoi Oil -LOVE

That was a long list…

Mary (What's Cookin' with Mary) — August 12, 2011 at 8:20 am

The weather’s been pretty much the same up here… dreary and ‘chilly’ until after lunch time. Boo. You know it’s going to be a warm fall when there’s only been a few days that could really be considered hot. I’d take a little a slightly chilly summer to blazing saddles hot though. Isn’t that why we live here ;)

This weekend’s going to be fun… meeting a friend and his new GF for drinks on a patio this afternoon (I’d kill for 75* n sunny) and then back to our place to chill and listen to music. Sat is going to be projects around the house with the mister and then dinner for two…. and Sun is for the hangover. haha. Kidding… sorta. Sun will probably be spent playing way to much Battlefield with B and my brother, a bit of menu planning for next week & just laying around doing nothing (maybe laying in the sun if it’s warm).

Have a great weekend Averie :)

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — August 12th, 2011 at 12:27 pm

isn’t it always a bit gloomy and meh when you have “plans” and you’d kill for 75 and sunny and “perfect” ?

well have fun anyway :)

Erin @ Big Girl Feats — August 12, 2011 at 9:05 am

I can’t wait for fall, but that’s only because fall in New England is THE best. Foliage, apple picking, pumpkins, football – sigh! I can’t wait.

Today is my last day at work before I leave for full time grad school, and I’m so happy. It’s a lot of mixed emotions to start another chapter in my life, but I’m so pumped about it. This weekend will be about celebrating and the start of a MUCH needed vaca!

Kim — August 12, 2011 at 9:21 am

Hey Averie! Totally with you on the lack of summer this year. How is it possibly August?! Thinking a long vacation somewhere HOT is definitely on the radar this winter. Love that you’re lovin’ on the frozen grapes too.. a big fav of mine. Mix them with some chopped frozen bananas and I can eat them by the bucket full. literally. Any trips planned to OR soon? Let me know if you’re ever headed this way! We won’t have the heat, but we’d have enough fun to make up for it. :)

Amber K — August 12, 2011 at 9:25 am

It hasn’t been “summer” yet in Oregon. We’ve had a few 80ish days, but mostly it’s freezing all morning long before getting a bit warm in the afternoon. I actually prefer it that way because I can not handle the heat!

I tried to use Google Reader to read blogs, but I can’t figure it out. I can read the blogs, but I can’t figure out how in the world I’m then supposed to comment on them. I used it for a day or so, but gave up. I can’t imagine keeping up with that many blogs! I try and hit around 10 or so and then I’m out. But I also only read blogs once per day every morning.

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — August 12th, 2011 at 12:31 pm

you have to “click off” the reader to comment. the reader just organizes them and tells you when there’s a new post by that blogger. everything else is still the same.

• Amber K replied: — August 12th, 2011 at 2:16 pm

Ahh I see!

Rachel @ Eat, Learn, Discover! — August 12, 2011 at 9:26 am

Loves :-)

Also do you have a mac? if you do, I’d check out the Reeder app ($10) – it even makes google reader more convenient (imagine that!). What I’m loving lately? my latest nut butter creation. it’s borderline crack.

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen — August 12, 2011 at 10:37 am

I thought MY reader was insane! 250? Good lord! How do you seriously keep up?
    I’m feeling the “fall” in the air too, it dropped about 5 degrees from the insane heat we were having and it makes such a difference now. So far, I’m liking it b/c it’s still a bit hotter than your weather but, I never wish summer away! It’s too short to begin with!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — August 12th, 2011 at 12:28 pm

It’s hard! But some I scan, some I read in stealth, some i skim, some i comment on 1x a week or so, and what i dont get to get DELETED/marked as read, daily. Period. :)

Alex@Spoonful of Sugar Free — August 12, 2011 at 11:01 am

I wish it felt like fall here. It has felt like summer in Florida since March! 95* and humid like heck everyday. I sweat about a gallon every time I step outside (not to mention working out, where I probably sweat about a ton!)

emily (a nutritionist eats) — August 12, 2011 at 11:26 am

It has been feeling like fall here in Minnesota, such a weird summer.
    I’m also not a fan of the dark mornings – it felt like winter this morning it was so dark!

Erica — August 12, 2011 at 12:17 pm

You can come visit me ;) We have heat…I promise! I love instagram too! And can’t be without my stand mixture. I love/hate google reader too- sometimes it makes me nuts

Sarah@The Flying ONION — August 12, 2011 at 2:14 pm

Fall is in the air in New England as well!! And I’m with you on not really liking it. Bring on that summer time heat!! For at least another week or so. :D

Claudia — August 12, 2011 at 2:50 pm

friday favorites = dessert :D preferably in the form of chocolate. i usually don’t have it during the week– no, friday is not a weekday, it’s part of the weekend ;) — so i can have it on the weekend. as for weekend plans, i’m going on a college visit to Harvard tomorrow, then visiting Boston. i heard it’s really nice, and a city like that has GOT to have some good eats… SOMEONE’S EXCITED! :D

Marla — August 12, 2011 at 3:04 pm

Girl I am never without those vanilla stevia drops by my side. Love the Friday favorites! Hope you have an amazing weekend & stay warm, OK?! xo

Christine (The Raw Project) — August 12, 2011 at 3:37 pm

We’re not feeling fall here yet! But that’s okay, not sure I’m ready for months of cold. :-) So true that running toasts shoes, I’ve already worn my new pair considerably!

1. Looking forward to the weekend, a new tasks iPhone app I’m trying, smoothies, and reggae.
    2. Maybe a Vegan Fest tomorrow and visiting my grandma in the hospital.

Kaitlyn@TheTieDyeFiles — August 12, 2011 at 4:24 pm

Loving candied ginger today!! Just had some on my oats. Can’t get enough of either. Weekend plans? NYC!!! Going in for a concert but we’ll be there tonight and tomorrow night. I’ve really never been except to pass through, so I’m excited!

TGIF!

Sahara Violet — August 13, 2011 at 9:31 am

Hi Averie,
    I always giggle when you talk about the heat and the weather because we are so alike on that one point. I hate being cold and I love nice hot weather. I like to “thaw” out from my air conditioned office in my car for a few moments when I leave work.
    Packing and moving today, funeral tomorrow. Yeah, THAT kind of weekend. :/

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — August 16, 2011 at 10:19 am

I spent the weekend (and am spending this week) camping!