Full Moon

Saturday, August 13 was a full moon.

I didn’t actually know it was a full moon until I was outdoors as dusk and saw the huge globe in the sky.

Then events, energy levels, and moods from the past few days, in retrospect, made more sense.

I have previously posted about Full Moons but thought I’d touch on it for new readers.

More info here

And here’s a List of Full Moon Things to Do & Try

During a Full Moon, the world is filled with excess prana, or life force energy. Technological or mechanical glitches are notorious during Full Moons.   Computer problems, car problems, appliances breaking.

For example, during this full moon my ice maker in my refrigerator broke and on the next month’s full moon, my microwave broke.

But full moons are not all about glitches and insomnia and excess energy.  Many people believe that Full Moons are a time of good luck and good fortune.

Those who are traditional yogis tend to refrain from practicing yoga during full moons because although we feel we “have tons of energy” to practice, it’s not a calm and centered energy.

It’s more of a manic, chaotic energy and we are prone to emotional upset like crying or feeling very uncerented if we practice when the moon is full.

Conversely, during new moons where there is excess apana (downward pulling energy) we don’t typical practice because we are much more heavy-filling, sluggish, tired, and just don’t have the uplifting energy to sustain a nice practice.

As an aside, the same apana, or downward energy, experienced during new moons is also experienced during our monthly cycles (that’s why some people call our monthly visitor our “moon time”).  Apana is also experienced during childbirth where there is a strong downward pull.

From my last post, Feathers & Trends, there were lots of fun comments.  And lots of hair product junkies, too.  You and me both.

Don’t forget to enter the $150 Giveaway

1. Did you notice any full moon effects this month?  How much do you “believe in” this type of thing or how much stock do you put in it?

I did.  Skylar was a little moody earlier in the week.  I find that kids are generally more in touch with natural world phenomenon than adults so it’s not surprising when they test their parent’s patience.

And I have been staying up super late (common for me) but have had excess energy for my workouts.

However, I also felt that my energy was not a grounded type, more manic.

I have also noticed coworkers having more heated interchanges the past few days, too.

Moons, Mother Nature, life cycles, our bodily rhythms are all so interwoven and fascinating to me, and I believe in it all.

Once you allow yourself the freedom to say, you know, there is something to this, or there could be something to this, and stop resisting it and just keeping your mind open to possibilities, all kinds of things manifest that you may have previously discounted.

2. Best thing you’ve ate or done so far this weekend?

I had a Flourless Peanut Butter Cookie that just hit the spot.   Mmm.

I am also putting this post in my Yoga Section since it touches on some fun little yoga factoids.  There are a few other informative posts there too like my Yoga FAQs.

Enjoy your Sunday!

45 Responses to “Full Moon”

char @ char on a mission — August 14, 2011 at 5:40 am

This is very interesting and honestly crazy to think about!! I think the power of the universe is such a mind-blowing idea, mainly because I’m such a visual learner. I wouldn’t say I don’t believe all this, but it’s harder for me to grasp because I want to see it! It’s very interesting and might account for my slooooow internet yesterday (although I was doing a lot of downloading haha).

Only weird thing is my energy levels have been much lower than normal, but could the full moon account for the fact that they *felt* low, until I was out running yesterday, then actually couldn’t wait to keep going?!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — August 14, 2011 at 5:42 am

I’m always amazed when you post about full moons because then I think back to my past few days. Um, I have been a crazy biotch for the last like 3 days – and the Husband even said something to me yesterday along the lines of, “why have you been up my @$$ for the last few days?” I guess I’ll blame it on the moon. haha!!!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) — August 14, 2011 at 6:02 am

Seriously, the moon has to be the reason I’m so overwhelmed right now or at least why I can’t seem to get my emotions under control! I am seriously suffering right now, so I hope things settle down soon! I hope you’re having a great weekend Averie!

Tasha @ Voracious Eats — August 14, 2011 at 6:03 am

Even if I had no access to a calendar, and no way to see the night sky, I can always always always tell when there is a full moon. The restless, chaotic energy – for sure! I can never sleep when there is a full moon. I don’t even stress about it, it is so expected. I just read and then toss and turn in a drowsy state. It’s all good! Last night the moon was so powerful that not only was I awake all night, so was Cody, my dad, and all of our dogs! We were all completely restless!

I am so plugged in to the cycles of the seasons, and the earth’s movements, I love it and am really glad for it.

Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance — August 14, 2011 at 6:03 am

Those cookies look great! And no wheat? YEYYYYY :D

I can’t even remember the last time I saw a full moon :(

Allie (Live Laugh Eat) — August 14, 2011 at 6:16 am

I don’t pay attention to the moon, really. I do believe in stuff like that so I should probably start!

Brooke — August 14, 2011 at 6:47 am

The best thing I ate so far this weekend would have to be a really yummy tomato and mozzarella salad with fresh basil…it was perfect!

Brooke

blossjoss — August 14, 2011 at 7:10 am

Hmm. I’m not a huge believer in these kinds of things, but I am open to them. And I’ll admit there are some peculiar, unexplicable (or maybe they are easily explained) coincidences. Personally I hit a personal mental low point Thursday and have been scatter brained. Then yesterday I was full of energy. Had an excellent work out, and took a long jog in the midday heat and still was bouncing around. Very uncharacteristic of me. Felt restless. The weather was stormy. At night I snuggled up with a Buddhism book and felt very calm and centered, though when I tried to practice meditation and a few yoga poses I was noticably off balance. I’ll have to investigate this phenomenon some more. Thanks for this post! I didn’t realize it was a full moon. I might need an app for this.

Best thing I’ve eaten-an Averie inspired banana-oatcake. This time composed of banana and oats, with the additions of applesauce, vanilla protein powder, vanilla, ground flax seeds, lots of cinnamon, and raisins. Threw in some baking soda and powder too. Awesome.

Carly — August 14, 2011 at 7:27 am

This is so interesting. I haven’t read enough about full moons to form an opinion but I know you’re incredibly well-versed in this subject so I love reading when you post about it! I wonder if this is why my acupuncture appointment went so horribly wrong yesterday. I left feeling worse than when I got there, with a terrible headache looming for the entire day. Thanks for the post! Those cookies look AMAZING. :)

Maris (In Good Taste) — August 14, 2011 at 7:32 am

That first photo is so gorgeous! best thing all weekend is that I am back on the east coast for a friends birthday and a visit home!

Jackie Smith — August 14, 2011 at 7:39 am

Yes, I didn’t sleep well last night. I like to get at least 8 hours, it was way less…hard to fall asleep, and then I kept waking…woke up early and couldn’t go back to sleep. I’m going to go for a walk tonight to see if that helps.

Andy — August 14, 2011 at 7:45 am

How is it that we know about these changes in “energy” during a full moon/new moon? How is it actually measured? I’m curious where this information comes from.

WIERDGREENMAN — August 14, 2011 at 7:50 am

I don’t pay attention to energy stuff during moon cycles (I didn’t even know it was the full moon!), but the Yogic stuff makes sense…

Christine (The Raw Project) — August 14, 2011 at 8:11 am

Very interesting on the full moon, thanks for the info! I was looking at it last night tempted to try and get a good shot with my camera. :-)

1. Maybe, I’ve been more stressed and not sleeping well which I figured was because of family health issues and work.
    2. Saw a movie with hubby and finally restocked my kitchen at Whole Foods.

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — August 14th, 2011 at 12:53 pm

Oh and your comment reply back to me regarding using Photoshop. I have it installed but have not learned it and do everything in LR 3. I have tried a few times to learn PS but it just seems so much more complicated than LR and I give up after 20 mins usually :)

I feel like LR does everything that I need it to do but one day would love to learn PS just to know it..some old school photographers are now saying they are moving away from it and only using LR but some still do use PS…would love to know what you think the major differences are if you wanna talk shop :)

Jess@HealthyExposures — August 14, 2011 at 8:53 am

I know I say this every time – but yep, I believe in the “full moon” phenomena. Mainly because of all the wacky things that go on at work during that time! This week, too, I’ve noticed I have a ton of energy at night and can’t just fall right asleep like I tend to do. When I realized the full moon was coming up I decided that that MUST be the reason!

Laura — August 14, 2011 at 9:00 am

Ok…until I became an ER Nurse I never believed in he full moon phenomenon…but now I see the craziness that comes out of people during a full moon and I really try to avoid working around those days :) I’ve never thought to notice how I am feeling and sleeping during a full moon…

EA-The Spicy RD — August 14, 2011 at 9:22 am

Beautiful moon photos! I’ve never thought about the moon’s effect on my energy levels, but I’ll start paying attention and see if I notice any correlations! Best thing I’ve eaten so far this weekend-My homemade gluten-free chocolate cake with brown sugar icing and almonds! Have a wonderful Sunday :-)

Lynn — August 14, 2011 at 9:26 am

Thats really interesting!! I have been feeling so very off lately! I have so many ideas and things i want to do-but when i try to do any of them it feels like I just hit a wall.

On a funny note-the power in the grocery store and my home kept flickering yesterday afternoon!
    Thanks for the wonderful post!

Amber K — August 14, 2011 at 10:33 am

I have been feeling antsy lately. Definitely had some anxious energy that I wish would have gone away! I totally forgot that I had read a blog of yours once that mentioned the full moon and its effects. But it makes total sense now.

Kristen — August 14, 2011 at 10:58 am

Averie ~ I have been reading your blog for over a year now and have enjoyed it so much! I loved this info about the full moon! Just had an epiphany on why I have been out of sorts the last couple of days and my kiddos too! Thanks for always sharing such fun and helpful information!

Stefanie — August 14, 2011 at 11:25 am

Aside from the crazy costumers and my work, I can’t say I have experienced anything out of the ordinary. Friday was just a crazy day with weird costumers though.

Victoria @ The Pursuit of Hippieness — August 14, 2011 at 11:29 am

Yoga this morning was so difficult! I just could NOT quiet my mind, no matter how hard I tried to breathe and just let go. And I barely slept last night! I’m a big believer in the fact that our energies are dictated by the energy of the natural world.

mi-an — August 14, 2011 at 2:26 pm

i do believe in this stuff averie! i love that you posts these. my yoga mojo has been off… hard to focus…

anyway…hope you’re having a great sunday. at least the weather is gorg up here in the bay. best thing i’ve eaten: i made seaweed and kale salad with sesame oil dressing. the bomb diggity!

mandy — August 14, 2011 at 2:26 pm

Just had to say way after you first posted the recipe, but I absolutely LOVE the peanut butter cookies! Being pregnant and craving sweets like crazy, these just HIT THE SPOT!!! And, so easy for my slightly lazy ways right now:) Thanks!!!

katie @ KatieDid — August 14, 2011 at 2:27 pm

On thursday and friday I was in very weird moods for myself… homesick, moody, very headachey and tired… I fully believe it could be linked to the universal energy. I always love these posts from you, because its not something I would remember to think about on my own but you always bring up things that click and make sense for why this or that may have happened…

Amy @ The Whole Sweet Scoop — August 14, 2011 at 2:41 pm

I love that you wrote about this because I’m always in awe of a full moon. I definitely get strange vibes every now and then – and then I look out the window, notice the full moon, and it all makes sense! I love your page!

Lauren @ Fun, Fit and Fabulous! — August 14, 2011 at 3:31 pm

That was really interesting and can definitely explain a few things!! Thanks for the info!

Eliot — August 14, 2011 at 3:48 pm

Working in a public school I definitely notice when we have a full moon! In fact, I keep it on my calendar so we can be proactive.

Jacqui — August 14, 2011 at 4:01 pm

I always get insomnia around a full moon, and I’ve noticed my 2 1/2 year old has the same problem. It takes forever for both of us to fall asleep. I get almost a maniac energy, like you mentioned. Glad to hear I’m not just crazy. :)

Lorin — August 14, 2011 at 5:20 pm

I believe it. I think there are other factors as well, like if I’m hungry I’ll be more annoyed/my blood sugar is slow so I feel more sluggish. But yeah, today I felt like my energy was up and down. I would want to go walking and then all of a sudden feel tired. Interesting stuff!

Hallie — August 14, 2011 at 7:20 pm

“Full moons are known for contributing to everything from insomnia, sleep disturbances, irritability, moodiness, heated interpersonal exchanges, to computers and tech-related things being glitchy and malfunctioning.”

Oh my gosh…we’ve had like ALL of these this weekend in my household! I am a believe now :-)

elisa — August 14, 2011 at 9:27 pm

Interesting conversation. Full moon + menstruation has been rough. I’ve just been SICK, and an insomniac, to boot. All week, not sleeping well, anxious, headachey, and almost anything I eat seems to make me feel sick. No fun. Full moon Aquarius + menstruation = hell week for me.

Notyet100 — August 16, 2011 at 3:49 am

Very informative ,thanks

Ali @ Urbanfruitbat — August 17, 2011 at 4:53 pm

I loved this post. I loved your last one too. The energy of life is so interesting, and the metaphysical stuff will never cease to amaze me. There is so much more to life than meets the eye, no?

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — August 18, 2011 at 12:30 pm

I don’t usually notice full moons but I did see a pretty one while camping yesterday or the day before and it was really nice.

Best thing I have done this week so far is relax!