Listening to Your Hunches & Instincts

Just when I think that my technology needs are under control and everything is humming along just fine, I hit a snag.

As in my less than 3 month old should-be-lighting-fast-because-I-paid-through-the-nose-for-it-to-be iMac computer was loading internet pages slower than an antique Commodore 64 for the past week.

Grrr.

And it was driving me up a wall!

I spend a significant amount of time at my computer (as we all do) and I don’t want to sit at it one extra minute due to slow loading internet pages or “connection timed out” monkey business.

So, after spending 90 minutes on the phone with AppleCare and not having any significant resolution when I finally hung up

And me saying to the guy over and over, “Don’t you think that for less than a hundred bucks I should just replace my 2009 router?”

And he kept saying, “Well, I have routers that are 5 years old and they work great.”

And I kept thinking, That’s You.  Not me.

So after wasting precious hours of my Sunday morning on the phone for 90 minutes with him, I wasted my Sunday afternoon spent a little time on Sunday afternoon at Radio Shack buying a new router.

I got this Netgear Router which was on sale for $79.99

And came home and played tech support.  To myself.  Always a party.

I got it installed and Houston, We Have Liftoff.

As I suspected, it was the router because the internet is now humming along at warp speed and pages are loading lightning fast.

I need to trust my own instincts more often and listen to my hunches.

After all, I posted about this sign a few days ago and boy, how true.

Tech support by phone is great when it works.  It just rarely works for me.

What did work for me was some of my weekend food:

Salads

Raw Pasta Salad with Creamy Lemon & Herb Dressing

Spiralizer info here or use a vegetable peeler and just make ribbons rather than noodles

Sesame Ginger Maple Tofu

Summer Fruit

Sniff.  Possibly some of the last peaches and white nectarines and plums of the season.

Tootsie Pops

Reds rock.  As discussed.

And Flourless Chocolate Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies were the other hunch I listened to.   Happy I did.

I had a hunch these may be accepted, and they were here and here.   And I am very grateful.  Photography.  Career Maybe one day.

1. Best thing you ate or did over the weekend?

It sounds lame but the best thing I did was getting my computer working properly again by troubleshooting, buying, and installing the new router.

“When mama ain’t happy, ain’t no one happy.” <– – And mama was not happy about the slow-loading situation.  Whew, thank goodness that’s fixed.

2. How good are you at listening to your hunches, trusting your instincts, your gut, or that little voice inside your head?

I used to dismiss my hunches and voices much more easily and more frequently but the older I get, the more I trust them.

I also believe that motherhood helps facilitate this, too.  If I started listening to everyone who chimed in with (unsolicited) parenting advice and didn’t just focus and listen to my own internal mama voice, I’d be a mess.  And so would Skylar!

Examples of listening to my hunches & instinct, past vs. present:

I really don’t want to attend this event because it will stress me out and cause me to have to rush from work to here to there and give me anxiety.  But I used to say yes to things like that but now if my gut says, that’s just too much driving and rushing around, I say no.

I really don’t love the color the hairstylist thinks is going to look “fabulous” on me.  I used to let them have more creative license even against my better judgment.  Now, no way.  Do it my way.  Or else.

I feel a nagging pain in my knee but I think I am going to run anyway.  Now, if it hurts, I stop or don’t do it.  Nothing is worth getting injured longer-term over.  From yoga moves to running to trying to be a ‘hero’ in group fitness classes and push through things I didn’t really feel good doing.  Nope, no more.

I think this guy is a little weird but whatever, I’ll give him my number.  This ended in violent crime for me.  Trust your instincts about bad, weird, or guys who just seem “off”.   If he seems like a creep or weird, don’t date him.  <— I wish I could tell my younger self this.  I will tell Skylar this.  Over and over.

This food/gluten/dairy/shellfish/nuts taste so good and I really shouldn’t eat them because too much will make me feel awful but they taste so good going down.  I still re-learn this lesson every year when I forget how badly I feel for days after too much of a “harmless” thing that took minutes to eat, a week to feel better.  See here or here for more.

So yes, I trust my instincts and hunches much more now than ever before.

What hunches/instincts have you not listened to and the outcome was not good?

What hunches/instincts have you listened to and you’re thanking your lucky stars you did listen to that little voice?

51 Responses to “Listening to Your Hunches & Instincts”

Heather (Where's the Beach) — August 22, 2011 at 1:48 pm

LOL – love that quote. I am pretty good with instincts about people. I know they say not to judge a book by it’s cover, but let me be around someone and talk to them for a few minutes, and I’m usually pretty spot on about them.

Maris (In Good Taste) — August 22, 2011 at 1:50 pm

That tofu looks really good. I rested after a wild Friday night!

Kathryn — August 22, 2011 at 1:51 pm

There’s a lot to be said for listening to your gut instinct – sometimes it just takes a while to work out what your gut is telling you! I’m glad that the problem was with the router rather than the computer though – much easier to sort out!

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen — August 22, 2011 at 1:54 pm

I tend to dismiss my hunches especially when it comes to technology because I feel like I’m usually in way over my head. As it usually turns out though, I’m right and should’ve just listened to those voices in my head! Glad your computer is working fast again. Slow connections can drive you CRAZY!

Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance — August 22, 2011 at 1:54 pm

Look at you, so resourceful! I’m horrible because I don’t know the SLIGHTEST thing about technology so whenever things break– I’ve gotta call in The Geek Squad ;)

And as for the hunch… I dated this guy in high school and had a hunch that he was gay (…I know -_-) We ended up breaking up a few months later and today, him and his boyfriend are very happy together….haha!

emily (a nutritionist eats) — August 22, 2011 at 1:57 pm

Same thing recently happened to me – my (newish) computer was being REALLY slow and driving me crazy – then we found out we just needed a new router – I honestly had no idea you needed to replace them but that fixed the problem!

The Purple Carrot — August 22, 2011 at 1:57 pm

Don’t you just love how that works?? :p Glad you got it all figured out, you techie you!

Emily — August 22, 2011 at 1:58 pm

Haha this post made me smile! I’m happy you’re computer is back to being lighting fast.
    Sometimes I have instincts to stay off our sparsely populated country roads when I run, I’m fine in cities or gyms but I don’t feel as safe without many eyes around!

Mary (What's Cookin' with Mary) — August 22, 2011 at 2:08 pm

Just curious… was it a Linksys router ? I think we bought three in a row that started losing packets (causing the browser to lag) after about 2-3 years. After we installed our latest Dlink… no problems. Ever. Glad your issue was handled. Tech problems are no fun !

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — August 22nd, 2011 at 7:56 pm

it was a linksys router that bit the dust

i think both linksys and netgear are about the same. i mean some people debate the fine points but they both get the job done. and in 2 yrs, they both die.

dlink. never even heard of it!

Michaela — August 22, 2011 at 2:23 pm

I am always so sad, when you mention what happened to you back then. I always keep it in mind when I am out running, carefully checking if there is anyone, having my music turned on on the lowest possible level… but I believe there is only so much you can do.
    BUT we should always listen to our insticts. I usually do, but just recently I had someone staying in my room while I was a summer aupair and I had a bad feeling from the start about the caution, which she forgot, and well, let´s just say I was right worrying. Sometimes you have to learn a lesson the hard way.
    As I said, usually, I always pause to listen to what my body/mind tells me, and even if it might seem inappropriate, I will still not do a certain thing, etc. if I don´t think it´s right.

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — August 22nd, 2011 at 7:57 pm

well im glad my story has caused you to think and be aware :)

and good for you for listening to your intuition!

Brooke — August 22, 2011 at 2:35 pm

I try to always follow my instincts with everything…

Most recently I thought that I needed to remove wheat from my diet again…

Did it and I was right!

Brooke

Kate — August 22, 2011 at 2:50 pm

after reading this I think my router needs a replacement.. oh and im off to make those cookies, they look divine!

Christine (The Raw Project) — August 22, 2011 at 2:58 pm

That’s crazy about your router, I rarely see them causing speed issues – they either work or they don’t. Must have been a firmware or port issue. Congrats on the cookie recipe, that’s great.

1. Got to have a little fun with hubby between hospital visits to see my grandma.
    2. Getting better depending on the situation.

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — August 22nd, 2011 at 7:59 pm

I know your professional opinion may differ but…i think both linksys and netgear are about the same and that they both get the job done. and in 2 yrs, they both die. and need replacing. I just never have them last longer and then finally i cant take it anymore, get a new one, and am good to go again :)

Ali @ Urbanfruitbat — August 22, 2011 at 3:10 pm

Aw man! I hate technical meltdown stuff, it is really such a waste of time! But technology is like that, no? Saves a tonne of time when it works, takes back all that saved time when it doesn’t. I almost always ignored my hunches, but then my body started freaking out! Now I try to listen to them more and more, and I am healthier and happier for it! Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!

Lindsay — August 22, 2011 at 3:10 pm

Thank you so much for that addition about trusting your gut re: creepy guys. I think as women we are conditioned to “be nice” and everyone knows bluntly turning someone down is never pleasant, but this is no reason to go on a pity date. I recently did just that and while thankfully I was fine, red flags were screaming at me from the second I said okay and I thankfully got away from this person and will likely not see him ever again. But imagine if it was a coworker or neighbor. Just say no, ladies- don’t sacrifice safety to be “nice”!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — August 22nd, 2011 at 8:00 pm

this is so spot on, thank you “I think as women we are conditioned to “be nice” and everyone knows bluntly turning someone down is never pleasant, but this is no reason to go on a pity date.”— YES!!!

And glad you are safe and yes, trust your gut and no more creepers!!! :)

Kaitlyn@TheTieDyeFiles — August 22, 2011 at 3:30 pm

Good for you for listening to your hunch!! I tend to do so myself, mostly because I don’t like being told what to do!

Kristen, Sweetly — August 22, 2011 at 3:34 pm

So far on vacation, I’ve been loving Grillers Original veggie burgers with sharp cheddar and tons of romaine lettuce. And I had a sandwich this morning that was grilled pb and banana, with some sort of cookie spread and something chocolatey. Devine.

Sometimes I don’t listen to my gut… and sometimes I take it too far and convince myself of things that are a little off. Haha. Every once in a while I find the happy medium.

My first impressions of people are wrong much of the time, too… I hope this gets better, since I keep figuring myself out more, so maybe it’ll rub off into my impressions of others. :p I guess we’ll see. I would like to work on this one, but I don’t know how much I can really learn.

Lauren — August 22, 2011 at 3:40 pm

I always trust my instincts! And thank God for it! When I thought I was in labor, I went to the hospital just to make sure, and it turned out my baby wasnt moving! And then her heart rate dropped! Sheesh, saved her life! From then on i always listen to that little voice! ;)

Those cookies… Amazing!

Jessica @ Jess Go Bananas — August 22, 2011 at 4:25 pm

I am pretty good at listening to my hunches. I find it hard though when it seems like so many outside voices are telling me to do the opposite!

Naomi(onefitfoodie) — August 22, 2011 at 4:46 pm

good for you trusting your insticts! YES! and I love that quote from Jim Carrey! I have heard it before and its just so perfect! :)

I used to be timid about attending events by myself or not knowing a lot of people btu I realized (after Ibroke up with my BF) that its so refreshing to get out of your comfort zone, chat with others and just enjoy life! everyone is always looking for networking oppourtunities and new friends and chances to be social so I just dove right in! :)

Best thing I ate this weekend was for sure my dinner friday night at this cambodian restaurant! lemongrass chicken with crushed peaanuts MMMM

Erin @ Big Girl Feats — August 22, 2011 at 5:21 pm

I must have missed the part about you surviving a violent crime in your older posts, because I gasped out loud when I read it. You have SUCH an amazing spirit, Averie – I hope no one ever dulls that spirit in any way, shape or form!

I have gotten so much better at listening to my gut as I’ve gotten older. I did each time I broke up with a guy that I thought was right for me, but ended up being a sub-par. Now I’m with a guy who is pretty much everything I’ve ever wanted and treats me so well. It’s awesome :) I also listened to my gut when I found a lump in my neck – a lot of people told me it was probably nothing, but I called the doctor to get it examined. It was a good thing I did because it ended up being cancerous, so thank goodness I listened to instincts!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — August 22nd, 2011 at 8:10 pm

I dont really discuss the details, but yes, it happened. Thanks for your compliments re my spirit :)

And thank goodness YOU listened to your instincts!!

cathy — August 22, 2011 at 5:30 pm

whew, thank goodness it was *just* the router…good for you for figuring out how to replace it! the best i can do with a router is turn it on and off! (happily, that has done the trick, so far, when i get disconnected).
    i totally listen to my vibe. whenever i don’t, i am either not happy or regret it.
    it’s not always EASIEST to listen to your inner voice…but it does speak the truth.
    glad you’re back up to speed!

Jess@HealthyExposures — August 22, 2011 at 5:34 pm

i have so so so much to catch up on! no power last night/this morning + working all day = coming home to overload, haha.

anyways – glad you were able to be your own tech support ;) i swear…talking to people on the phone hardly ever works for me, too! i’m better off just pushing buttons. i figure i’ll either make it better or worse…might as well hope for the best, right? :P

Sarah@The Flying ONION — August 22, 2011 at 5:37 pm

I absolutely HATE slow computers as well. I’m pretty laid back until it comes to technology. Then any and all signs of my laid back nature go out the window. It’s not a pretty sight. ;)

Glad you got your computer working much, much faster for you thought! :D

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — August 22, 2011 at 5:50 pm

So awesome you figured that out by youself. I would have never figured it out!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — August 22nd, 2011 at 8:11 pm

oh and your comment to me on jessica’s blog re sleep

about 4-5 hrs a night, sometimes 2 here, 3 there.

I’ll sleep more when I’m dead. For now I am way too busy :)

julie — August 22, 2011 at 5:54 pm

ugh i suck at listening to my instincts! and i suck even more at being on the phone with computer people. i always get REALLY angry at them and frustrated haha and try not to be mean but it usually fails and i usually end up being a bitch haha so next time i’m calling you to figure out my computer problems!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — August 22nd, 2011 at 8:13 pm

girl it’s such a time waster, i know, and then i turn into a beeotch too.. it’s like thanks but ill just figure this out myself!

Sondra — August 22, 2011 at 6:28 pm

We usually replace a router about 1 1/2 to 2 years, when the computer is on all day long it tends to fry the little guy. I really enjoy the foodie photography!

Jen — August 22, 2011 at 6:44 pm

I listen to my insticts as well…even if my mind wants me to do something else! Will you ever disclose on your blog what violent crime happened?

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — August 22nd, 2011 at 8:14 pm

the nitty gritty is not necessary to make a permanent internet record of…suffice to say, I am lucky to be here and i will ALWAYS thank god for my life and trust my gut!

Marcia @Frugal Healthy Simple — August 22, 2011 at 7:14 pm

Definitely listen to your instincts! Esp on the router. Whenever our internet gets painfully slow, we call tech support at the cable company, and it’s ALWAYS the router.

I pass on things that I know are going to stress me out. With some exceptions. It’s pretty tough for me to run from home to pick up my son and then get home and get ready to go swim in the ocean…but I always enjoy it when I do.

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — August 22nd, 2011 at 8:12 pm

yes it’s ALWAYS the router. they just crap out after 2 yrs or so in my experience. never had one last longer than that despite what the “experts” sugggest.

chelsea — August 22, 2011 at 7:25 pm

hehe I live in Houston ;)

Katie — August 22, 2011 at 7:48 pm

Maybe this is lame, but the best thing I “ate” over the weekend was a whiskey cocktail last night. BOY did I need it! And I’m having another right now.

Nikki — August 22, 2011 at 8:22 pm

I think my favorite foods I ate this weekend were at my cousin’s wedding. There was a cookie table…and my aunt’s amazing gingerbread cookies were present. Ahhhh delicious! As was the cake with mango in it! :) My sweet tooth was in heaven!

Jessica — August 22, 2011 at 9:42 pm

Ohh girl! I was getting so nervous reading this! I thought something was going to be wrong with your iMac! I bought mine a few months ago and I was nervous you were going to tell me some earth shattering news! LOL I love mine wayyy too much to hear a bad review. :-P

Glad you were able to get it all figured out and get a new router!!

Michelle — August 22, 2011 at 9:58 pm

As soon as I saw the heading- I thought, ROUTER! I have a (very pricey) Macbook myself and went through this problem a LOT- until I realized it was the router. We bought the fancy new Apple router, since all the electronics in the house are apple, everything goes along smooooth now! Good to hear you got it fixed up!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — August 22nd, 2011 at 10:09 pm

why is it that us “novices” immediately think…router

and their brains on the tech support side think everything BUT router. I mean…really….It’s like soooo obvious to us, why isn’t it to them?

Lori — August 23, 2011 at 5:36 am

Unrelated to your prompts for comments, I have to say — LOVE your setup with that comfy chair as your desk chair. Who needs the office-y swivel ones when you can have a setup like yours? I’m looking into a new apartment, and moving will most definitely involve pulling a copycat move.

Amber K — August 23, 2011 at 10:28 am

I often think about this. I don’t ever seem to get “hunches.” I don’t really know why. I’m thinking that I must get them, but am just really bad at knowing they are there. Because I never see things coming. I can never guess what’s around the corner, or see the way things are stacking up. Even if others are able to say “well of course that happened, didn’t you see a, b, and c first?” I don’t know why, I just didn’t!

Also, so many things make me anxious, I never know if I’m just being overly anxious again, or if there is truly a reason to be anxious. It all feels the same to me. When it is a social event, I pretty much just assume that it is my social phobia talking. But if there was really a good reason to avoid the event, I don’t think I’d be able to know that it was something more than just my fear.

So many interesting things to think about!