New Blog Look

My blog has a new look.  If you’re reading this in your Google Reader or via Email Subscription, you’ll have to click off now.

I have wanted a new header for quite some time but since I don’t know Photoshop (only Lightroom) I didn’t want to pay hundreds of dollars to someone to design one or have a million emails up and back about what I did and didn’t want.

I came across a woman who sells semi-customizable yet pre-made headers and I saw the framework of the header that I ultimately went with.

Her price was fair and reasonable, and I said, what the heck and bought it.

And now I have a new header!

And I made some other individual minor changes but they add up to a cleaner vibe which is what I was going for.

Here’s a screen shot of the old blog

Here’s what I changed:

I moved the ordering of my columns from: sidebar + main content area + sidebar (and the sidebars were both the same width)

to: main content area + sidebar + sidebar (and made the first sidebar slightly wider so that I could accommodate a FoodBuzz cube-shaped ad + one skycraper rather than two vertical skyscraper ads)

I also widened the area for pictures so now my photos are just slightly bigger

Here’s the old size

New size

Bigger is better in most everything.   Up to a point, of course, but I hate dinky photos!

In the process I moved around the sidebar widgets, deleted others (recent comments, recent tweets)

I removed the faint gray lines that divided the columns

Removed the gray color from the top menu tabs/navigation bar, i.e. About, Popular, Recipes, etc

Now everything is just solid white and clean

I have a few other changes I’d like to make but all of this (with the exception of actually creating the header) I did myself!

I need to find someone to help me with a few other items, though.

For instance, I want customized social media icons.  But since I don’t know Photoshop, I can’t create the icons myself.  <– Not yet anyway.  Another reason I have to learn it is because once a week there’s something minor I want to do and that if I only knew PS, I’d be in business.

Blogs and websites, always a work in progress.

This little makeover is just one of the behind-the-scenes things I alluded to in my Disses & Kisses post

So it’s not done yet, but it’s getting there.  Until 3-6 months from now when I want to re-do things, again.  It’s a woman’s prerogative to change her mind.  A million times.  And keep changing it!  Or in this case, keep changing her blog.

Thanks to those of you who commented that you noticed the changes in my Power Snacks post.  I was literally going up and back in an email firestorm with the woman doing my header and with FoodBuzz and moving widgets around by myself all morning.  I didn’t want to blog about it until a bit of the chaos had passed.

I’m glad you enjoyed my snack ideas and balls ‘n bites suggestions.

I could use one of these balls right about now

No Bake Vanilla Cake Batter Chocolate Truffles

1. Feedback so far on the changes?

And if you tell me you don’t like it, well, I’m probably not going to do much about it, but you can tell me anyway.  Knowing is better than not knowing!

2. For the bloggers or those who have and maintain websites, do you find yourself always wanting just a little something done to your site?  Do you have anyone who helps you with these things who’s fabulous?  Feel free to share their info in the comments section.

I am in need of someone to help me with site-related projects and have sent emails to a few different people and have either gotten:

price quotes in the 4-figure range for what I wanted done (and pretty much just did myself what I wanted done and it cost me nothing! other than what I paid for the header)

the people simply don’t email back and are not responsive at all

or they do email back but are busy/booked/traveling/on vacation/etc and can’t start my project for x amount of time  (Well by then I could change my mind again.  Blogs and websites are a business of now.  As in, wanted it done yesterday.  I realize it all takes time and everyone is busy <–great for you$$ if you’re that busy! but 4 to 12 week waits just aren’t happening for me. Or anyone I know.)

So as I said in my Blogging 101 Series, Google is your best friend.

Researching it, google, youtube videos, online forums, spending an inordinate amount of time at it, trial and error, and tweaking things until you get it right, really, that’s just best because then going forward you can just handle it.  By yourself.  For free.

That said, some things are and will always be over my head!  I’m not a graphic designer or an IT person which is why fabulous, responsive, designers and tech support people are worth their weight in gold.  I have a lead on someone who’s supposed to be helping me with a few things this week so hopefully that pans out.

Hope your week is off to a great start!

99 Responses to “New Blog Look”

Michelle — August 30, 2011 at 9:46 am

Wow, I LOVE the new header! The design is beautiful and compliments the format and layout of your blog fantastically! Great choice, congrats!

Amber K — August 30, 2011 at 9:53 am

I love the new header! Although I miss the Recent Posts on the side. I love blogs that have those because I can look at a glance and open up all of the ones I haven’t read yet. Otherwise the scrolling must commence! Not a huge deal, just makes my life easier ;)

I love bigger pictures too, especially when they are pictures as beautiful as yours. Bigger is definitely better in that sense.

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — August 30th, 2011 at 12:12 pm

they’re still there– way on the right side :)

• Amber K replied: — August 30th, 2011 at 12:21 pm

Well color me blind! They are RIGHT there. lol

Paige @ Running Around Normal — August 30, 2011 at 10:13 am

I likey!! It’s very classic and chic ;)

Victoria @ The Pursuit of Hippieness — August 30, 2011 at 10:52 am

It’s absolutely beautiful Averie! Clean is always better when it comes to blogs. I’ve only had mine a couple months, but I feel like I need to put my graphic design major to good use and clean it up and customize it a little better. That’s a goal for the next few weeks for me!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — August 30th, 2011 at 12:13 pm

if i could re-do my schooling over, i would have gone to art school…photography, graphic design, you name it, something like that! would come in handy every.day.for.me now!

Krista — August 30, 2011 at 10:58 am

Me likes! My blog needs a makeover something fierce, but I am not good with changing up computer things so I just let it be…..

Beth — August 30, 2011 at 10:59 am

I normally read your posts in Google Reader and then come to the blog to comment. But you had me clicking over right away with the announcement of a new look.

Love it! Love it! Love it!
    Great job cleaning everything up to give it a crisp feel.
    Wonderful!

janetha — August 30, 2011 at 11:08 am

Looks good!

Kaitlyn@TheTieDyeFiles — August 30, 2011 at 11:23 am

Love the new look! It’s clean and easy to read. I need to spend some time working on mine!! I have so many things I want to do!

Ela — August 30, 2011 at 3:24 pm

Love the new look! It’s very inspiring how you self-educate and make your online space your own.

I’d _love_ to more with my blog appearance but just haven’t budgeted the time to learn how at this point, and not sure where I’m going with the blog right now anyway, so all confused about it…

Sheila — August 30, 2011 at 4:14 pm

Love the new header, and the new look. I have just about finished with giving mine a new look:))

Christy Loiacono — August 30, 2011 at 4:32 pm

I love reading your blog, I have really enjoyed making your raw chocolate chip cookie dough balls, coconut oil chocolate and the No Bake Vanilla Cake Batter Chocolate Truffles. Im looking forward to an upcoming shower to make your snickers cookies and the magic 8 bars :D yummy I love sweets and to find some healthier versions to satisfy is just fantastic. Thank you for sharing them…..

Christine (The Raw Project) — August 30, 2011 at 6:45 pm

Love the new header, clean and pretty! :-) Great changes and very cool on finding someone just to do the logo, I did mine in Photoshop and it’s time for an update too I think. I could help in Photoshop, I’m still getting back up to speed with CS5, but loving it so far. Back in the day I used to participate in all the Fark Photoshop contest, super fun! And so true on re-doing blogs, I’d like to design a WP theme from the ground up – I just need time, ga!

1. Looking good, like the cleanliness. But maybe the header should be centered since the text in the logo is centered.
    2. All the time. I have a long to-do list of changes I want to make when I have time – probably in the winter when the weather is crap. No on help, it’s all me, myself, and I. But I have a background in computer graphics and coding, my problem now is time to do it.

Heather McWhorter — August 30, 2011 at 9:09 pm

I just went with a cleaner look on one of my blogs (http://shrinktofitblog.com) and I LOVE IT! The girl that did my design was amazing – her name is Danielle and you can find her at http://www.danielle-moss.com/ – another of my favorites is Lindsey at scenicglorydesigns.com – she is amazing! And affordable!

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — August 30th, 2011 at 10:09 pm

thank you for these recommendations!!! danielle’s work is right up my alley just from a quick glance at her homepage

I will keep these links on hand..thank you!!

and just popped over to your site..looks awesome. Change is good, right! :)

Heather McWhorter — August 30, 2011 at 9:10 pm

And also – I LOVE the new look around here! I think it’s perfect! I’m also one of those who feels the need to change things up quite often. I just get bored with it I suppose!

Alexis (hummusapien) — August 30, 2011 at 9:11 pm

love the new header! I always want to do something more to my blog…I’m really new at it so I feel like I have a MILLION things to learn!!

P.S. Skylar may be the cutest little girl I’ve ever seen :)

Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic — August 31, 2011 at 3:05 pm

Congrats on the new look – it is very fresh and sleek-looking!!