One Leg at a Time

I can’t believe it’s already Wednesday?  I guess that’s a good thing.

Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday sort of evaporated into a blur.

Sunday I was domestic

Monday I bought a non-domestic

Tuesday, among other things, I went to Target because someone’s pants either have holes in the knees or are becoming too small.

We loaded up on pants

Pink, purple, aqua, pink and purple striped.  Target dressing rooms and iPhone photography don’t mix apparently.  Nor does Trader Joe’s + iPhone photography, but that’s another story.

And there were other pink things

The shoes are a little big, but the beauty of kids is that they grow.  The shoes will fit in about October precisely when we’ll be experiencing some of our warmest weather of the year and when you cannot find sandals or slipon shoes, or knockoff Crocs, anywhere.   I may have planned this.

Dora & Princess brushes make brushing more fun.  Kind of with they had those for my teeth.

The whole event was much more giggly for her than I.  Nothing quite like trying on clothes in a too small dressing room with a four year old.  Pokey meets chaos meets inability to get in, get done, get out.

Oh well at least we giggled together and I kept repeating the phrase, “Honey, we put our pants on one leg at a time” as she tried to simultaneously jam her sweaty little feet through each of the tiny leg openings of the leggings and jeggings.

For me, I steered clear of the cute clothes and loungewear that I would have loved and stuck with the basics and things I know I needed more than another $16.99 Champion sports bra in hot pink.  Although that would have been fun.

After Target, we came home and snacked on some fresh grapes that were on sale at the grocery store

Watermelon (which is beginning to go out of season I am fearing)

And we each had a White Chocolate Vanilla Marshmallow Cake Bar – 4 Layers

Talk about the way to a 4 year old’s heart.  Or a mommy’s heart.

Thanks for the compliments and feedback on my last post, Food & Light: Favorite Images & Judging.  And what you liked about the photos or why you liked the ones you said you did.  Lots of you told me you like the water, the second picture of nuts, the hummus, or Diane’s hands in action.

And thanks for sharing your stories about being judged and what you do about it.

Also, yesterday Gina the Fitnessista posted a guest post of mine on her site that she had asked me to write about Prenatal Yoga.  I realize not all of you are mothers, pregnant, and kids may be a long ways off for you, but perhaps it’s a good resource for someone you know or for that rainy day down the road.  Also, I shared some of my background with yoga and what I did when I was pregnant with Skylar.  <– Hard to believe that was 5 years ago already.  Time.Flies.

Have you seen any cute new fall clothes lately?  Do you tend to buy seasonally-based clothes, i.e. back to school in the fall, fall fashions, or new clothes in the spring?

I don’t tend to buy much anymore as fall approaches.  It’s fun, but I just don’t partake in the retail thrills.

I wear the same things nearly year-round here in San Diego, I am not going back to school, I am cheap and don’t want to spend money on new clothes when I have a closet full of clothes, most of which I rarely wear and wear the same half dozen things over and over (as most of my blog pictures tend to prove!) but it’s always fun to browse and see what’s hot for fall or a new season.

But I won’t lie, with an unlimited budget I could really have lots of fun here.

Owls anyone?

And more fun here

Or something from here is always up my alley.

But can I borrow your credit card?  Thanks.

Have you bought anything for fall?  Or seen anything cute?  <–wait, don’t tell me

P.S. I’m glad you’re excited about the Attune Foods Healthy Free Food Giveaway, too.

41 Responses to “One Leg at a Time”

Jess@HealthyExposures — August 10, 2011 at 3:25 am

I love the Target/Champion sports bras! you have a greater willpower than I for passing by it :P

Ugh – I’m super cheap when it comes to clothes shopping. Not to mention I sort of hate shopping and get really impatient with it…so half the time I’ll end up buying something I think I like at the time, but it’s really just to get it over with and by the time I get home I think “why did I buy this? I’ll never wear it.” And will never get around to returning, either. I need a personal shopper to prevent me from these bad decisions! haha

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — August 10, 2011 at 3:27 am

Seriously, Skylar seems like the happiest little girl – she’s too cute!

I just went shopping for some new clothes, but I already want more – is that bad? :)

lindsay — August 10, 2011 at 3:43 am

oh I meant to tell you, loved all the fabulous pictures! amazing! Glad you are home and welcomed with giggles! Skylar needs to stop growing so fast!

Lauren — August 10, 2011 at 3:58 am

I loved your post on prenatal yoga! So much good info. I definitely see myself getting deeply into yoga when I’m preggo.

Maris (In Good taste) — August 10, 2011 at 3:58 am

Looks like a really fun time shopping! Skylar is a lucky little lady!

Alex@Spoonful of Sugar Free — August 10, 2011 at 4:05 am

Skylar’s wardrobe looks exactly like what mine looked like growing up-leggings, leggings, and more leggings! Stripes, dots, shapes-I had ‘em all! They’re super comfy, so why not?

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit — August 10, 2011 at 4:11 am

I love the photo of Skylars ripped pants! Seems like kids go through clothes so ridiculously quick. I would love to shop with every season and trend, but it’s just so pricey! I absolutely love shopping but avoid the malls to stay on budget.

Sara (The Veggie Eco-Life) — August 10, 2011 at 4:20 am

It seems like Skylar grows a cm every day! Her hair is very long too!

I didn’t buy that much last season, two dresses and two tops. I really had to put a hold on myself because I just have too much clothes.

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — August 10, 2011 at 4:33 am

Now that we’re back in the South, I forgot how much shopping for fall clothes sucks. All of the stores have the CUTEST fall clothing out, but it won’t be cold enough to wear them until December!!!

Kaitlyn@TheTieDyeFiles — August 10, 2011 at 4:34 am

Aww I bet Skylar had a blast!! I do NEED “back-to-school” clothes because it’s going to start getting chilly in New England soon, but it’s not in the budget. I have to wear pants and close-toed shoes to school, so I’ll keep truckin with the ones I have! Though new shoes…definitely in the need rather than the want category!

Tasha @ Voracious Eats — August 10, 2011 at 4:35 am

Skylar = THE CUTEST! She is always grinning and laughing. What a happy kid! And I’d like to go pants shopping with you, I think me and Skylar have the same style. Bright and cheerful colors all the way!

Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope — August 10, 2011 at 4:49 am

Such cute things for Skylar! My mom used to buy all my shoes about a half size too big when I was little… “growing room” apparently. Haha, I still have trouble remembering that I no longer need that extra room when I go shoe shopping! ;)

katie @ KatieDid — August 10, 2011 at 5:17 am

Skylar is SO happy, its impossible not to be happy after seeing pictures of her giggling and just loving life! And target is one of my favorite stores for clothing, they have lots of good trends and basic stuff for not a lot of money–> perfect mixture. Of course I was browsing Anthro online yesterday (instead of doing work… figures) and everything they have is just too gorgeous.

Nikki — August 10, 2011 at 5:47 am

She is seriously the cutest! I used to buy more around school time, but at this point, I try to only buy things when I absolutely need them! Although, I am a huge fan of those Target sports bras…

cathy — August 10, 2011 at 6:08 am

i love seeing photos of skylar and hearing little stories about your adventures. my oldest niece will be 5 in october, and i see so many similarities. dora toothpaste? oh yea – > big hit!
    i don’t buy seasonal clothes because i dress in fitness wear pretty much all the time! i’d love to be more *fashionable,* but have neither the budget nor need for really up-to-the-minute items.
    CANNOT WAIT for target to get here in 2012. i am going to move in there.
    enjoy your day! hope it’s not too insane!

Jordan @ food, sweat, and beers — August 10, 2011 at 6:33 am

Oh goodness, Target had a sale on those Champion Sports bras this week and I just couldn’t help myself. Neon just calls to me…. loudly.

Also, love those Venus Embraces, they’re the only razor I can use now (spoiled me for all other blades…)

Rachel @ the Avid Appetite — August 10, 2011 at 6:47 am

As much as I love summer and do NOT want it to end, I am finding myself a little excited for Fall things…like new color palettes, cozy sweaters and jeans (instead of tank tops and pencil skirts), pretty leather boots, and leaves falling! I love it all!

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun — August 10, 2011 at 6:55 am

I cannot believe how BIG she is getting. Such a beautiful little lady. And so happy. :)

I’m impressed that you made it out of Target without any “extras”. I always get sucked into their workout clothes. It never fails!

WIERDGREENMAN — August 10, 2011 at 6:56 am

Summer is awesome, but fall means sweaters!

Katie — August 10, 2011 at 7:07 am

I am buying new clothes right now, but only because I don’t have many “teacher” clothes. As I mentioned in my post TODAY. (Psychic much?) I usually wear the same dozen or so t-shirts with the same 2-3 jeans or 5-6 skirts. Yet, I have a closet FULL of clothing I never wear. And that is after donating half to Goodwill and giving tons to my friend.

Watermelon going out of season? Thanks for the reminder! I have not eaten nearly enough this summer. I blame the raspberry bush in my yard for keeping me in berries, so I don’t need to buy other fruit.

Beth — August 10, 2011 at 7:12 am

I can only imagine clothes shopping with a 4 year old, and trying on those clothes with her in those small changing rooms. Job well done you two!

I’m not a big fan of vanilla or yellow cakes, so I’m tossing around the idea of putting a dark chocolate spin on your White Chocolate Vanilla Marshmallow Cake Bar – 4 Layers. Thinking of a chocolate cake (gluten free of course) base, switching the peanut butter layer to almond butter (hubby doesn’t like peanut butter ~ can you imagine?!), and keeping the white chocolate layer / icing. My inspiration for doing this: he brought home a store bought Vachon cake last night (individual size). ICK!

I’ll check out and then forward your Prenatal Yoga guest post. My sister in law is almost 4 months pregnant.

Fall clothing: not so much. I’ve been buying up some summer stuff that went on sale at Texture Clothing (http://store.textureclothing.com/index.html). I can wear them now, as well as on our trip to Barbados in December ;)

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — August 10th, 2011 at 11:57 am

to be honest, I would just really make the recipe as is. Swap out the cake flavor but just do it as is…it’s divine. Chocolate would still be amazing but really part of it is the white choc. You dont even need to be a huge “Fan” to really appreciate this dessert. I would never steer you wrong!

Sarah@The Flying ONION — August 10, 2011 at 7:27 am

I love fall clothes shopping! And I’m in desperate need of new jeans (because I have holes as well!) and shirts. And shoes! Target is my go-to stop for shirts and dresses. :D

Brooke — August 10, 2011 at 8:09 am

We can’t afford it right now…but at the Whole Foods by me they had that most adorable, comfy, organic cotton shirt. Oh my goodness…I wanted it so bad! But at $35, it was a no go.

A friend of mine did buy it and LOVES it…

Brooke

Cait @ Cait hates Cake — August 10, 2011 at 8:21 am

Lol, I totally bought that neon pink sports bra from Target. I got sucked in!! :)

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine — August 10, 2011 at 8:54 am

I feel like you just bought Skylar new pants….geez, either time is passing faster than I thought or she’s growing like crazy!!

Yesterday I went out and bought 4 pairs of jeans from Abercrombie. I hate the store, but their pants fit me perfectly, and all their jeans were 50% off. I’ve gained a solid size in the past year or so, and while I do feel way stronger and healthier because of it, it sucked to have pants that felt too tight…so I splurged on 4 pairs, and it only came out to $150. Score! In general though, I don’t really buy seasonal clothes. I have a ton of basics and some fun pieces for winter, then just lots of dresses in the summer. It’s my dream to live somewhere where I never have to wear more than jeans and a light jacket to keep warm…maybe that’s in my future? ;)

• Averie (Love Veggies and Yoga) replied: — August 10th, 2011 at 11:56 am

she grows like a weed…the bonuses of being tall :)

and maybe jeans and a light jacket are all that you will need. Wouldn’t that be GREAT :)

And 4 pairs for $150 including tax…that’s a STEAL!! Abercrombie or not, that’s a great buy on jeans.

Amber K — August 10, 2011 at 9:26 am

I haven’t gone clothes shopping in….pretty much forever. As I was losing weight I had to keep updating my wardrobe and now that I have pretty much settled into it (after 100 lbs finally being gone) I pretty much just wear the same things time and time again. I’m still trying to tone up so I don’t know if I will need new clothes again or not. I certainly have a variety of sizes to choose from!

It’s sad that watermelon is going away soon. I am only on my second one of the summer. It’s just so darn expensive everywhere. The last one I got thankfully was on a mega-sale and was half price. Still just as tasty!

Crystal @ College Cooking Girl — August 10, 2011 at 10:00 am

I usually buy 1 pair of jeans each year (not this year though, last year’s look fine still) and 2 new shirts before school starts (I’m a student at university). I used to get a new pair of running shoes each year too but those are going to have to wait!

I did recently buy two new shirts but that is because they are solid black and appropriate for work. I’m looking forward to seeing what styles of sweater dresses are coming out!

Kristen, Sweetly — August 10, 2011 at 12:04 pm

It might just be the resolution on my phone… but I don’t agree about your Target photos. If you crop out the bottom of the first photo, it’s an awesome shot!

charlotte — August 10, 2011 at 1:10 pm

I’m more about buying things on sale which means I’m usually buying off-season. I snap up shorts, swimsuits etc. for the next summer at the end of the current one. Downside: I have to store them all until next summer. But hey I saved money! Those white chocolate bars look divine. Now I’m salivating.

Jessica — August 10, 2011 at 1:30 pm

I’m a new reader, and so far have really enjoyed your blog!

I live in WA where we tend to have really pronounced seasons, so I have to buy summer clothes and winter clothes every few months. I try not to buy anything too trendy so it will last longer. I am moving to southern California in a few months and I am hoping I can have more of a “year round” wardrobe, as I have always disiked buying winter clothes anyway.
    I haven’t purchased any fall clothes yet, but I have my eye on lots of cute things!

Jemma @Celery and Cupcakes — August 10, 2011 at 1:30 pm

There are so many new fashions that I cannot wait to try next season. All of the fall lines look amazing. Your photos look amazing as always! :)

mi-an — August 10, 2011 at 1:51 pm

haven’t bought anything for fall yet… kinda baaaroke right now and i’m happy wearing my summer clothes! i don’t want summer to end! i certainly don’t want watermelons to end as well! xx

Trainer Kjirsten @ Balanced Healthy Life — August 10, 2011 at 2:01 pm

I have seen some really cute fall clothes but haven’t bought any yet, because I don’t think they’ll fit my growing belly by the time fall is here!

Kelley — August 10, 2011 at 2:12 pm

Awe, your girl is adorable! I love Target. A little too much. :)

natasha — August 10, 2011 at 2:23 pm

Skylar is a doll!

We don’t get out to clothes shop much. I love my kids but with three, clothes shopping is TOO much! Somebody always has to potty or is hungry or tired…

I dream of Anthro too.

Victoria @ The Pursuit of Hippieness — August 10, 2011 at 2:31 pm

I usually do a big spring shopping and then buy a couple key pieces for fall, but I was too busy/didn’t really need anything for spring this year, so I had a big fall spree! Lots of Free People (my favorite! Do they have it in San Diego?), a piece or two from Anthro, and these shoes on sale from bloomingdale’s! http://www.shoes.com/en-US/Product/EC1249001-5123113/Sam+Edelman/Light+Blue+Denim/Women's+Lorissa.aspx
    They’re crazy, but I love them :)

Christine (The Raw Project) — August 10, 2011 at 3:43 pm

Agreed on this week, getting back to work after a few fun days has been painful today. And a blur since I had to rush to the hospital to visit my grandma and have a long list of shores to tackle tonight.

Target is addicting, I always end up with more than I went in for – it’s just dangerous.

I haven’t been looking at a lot of clothes lately truthfully since I’m trying to save money, but I need to start updating soon. Love browsing Anthro, but haven’t bought anything yet.

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — August 16, 2011 at 9:40 am

I love shopping for Fall clothes and am always suckered in to buying a whole bunch of them. The colours and styles are always so nice.